4424A Urbana Pike Rd.
Frederick, MD 21704Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.monocacycrossing.com/
- Phone: (301) 846-4204
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
A word from Monocacy Crossing
Monocacy Crossing is located off the beaten path five miles south of Frederick. As soon as you walk through our door, you relax, you're comfortable, and at home. Our menu selections and extensive wine list will satisfy everyone in your party. So come, enjoy, be our guests!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Monocacy Crossing - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
Monocacy Crossing reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)special occasion (55)neighborhood gem (47)great for outdoor dining (43)romantic (42)notable wine list (34)good for groups (30)great for lunch (25)great for brunch (14)scenic view (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Best food for the best pricesCrazeeebabyVIPDined on 11/23/2014The food is great and so is the service. Nice warm cozy place to have Sunday brunch. We're going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This dog won't hunt!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Older groups talking very loud because they can't hear detered our evening. The couple next to us was smushed into a corner and we were almost on top of them. The food held nothing special to my taste buds and thus did not live upto a special! Try The Orchard in Chambersburg if you want a real dinning experience. Heather was fine at her work, but beyond that MC is off our list. Still on list, The C at The Hershey Hotel, Nicks at the Hagerstown Airport and The Orchard in Chambersburg. Otherwise head to Washington!
- Always excellentgeniusVIPDined on 11/15/2014We have been to Monocacy Crossing a few times and each time we have left delighted and with the intention of coming back. The servers are attentive and informative. The food is fresh and well prepared. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and specialsCrazeeebabyVIPDined on 11/9/2014I love their brunch and half-priced bottles of wine on Sundays. I'm bringing my group there for pre-Thanksgiving brunch Sunday Nov 23!Special Features:
- Wilderness WonderBruncherDined on 11/9/2014The restaurant is at the edge of a forest and away from other buildings. Even though it is minutes from Frederick it seems very, very rural. It is also just a few minutes drive from the Monocacy National Park. The food is excellent. We shared the fried calamari with wasabi sauce that was just the perfect blend of sass and savor. The scallops were juicy and tender. The fish tacos were fresh and filling. The steak salad had the right mix of greens, goat cheese, candied pecans, diced tomatoes, and of course tender beef. The desserts were fabulous with chocolate bread pudding and chocolate torte devoured in minutes!Special Features:
- Great service and good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Enjoyed our anniversary dinner here. Service was outstanding and the food was delicious. We had the Baked Cod special and the filet medallions. Very good with large portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous placeCrazeeebabyVIPDined on 11/2/2014Love their food and 1/2-priced bottle of wine specials on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place overallCrazeeebabyVIPDined on 10/26/2014The food and service cannot be beat and the value is great too. Lunch and brunch are very reasonably priced so I try to stop there on my way through Frederick once a week now.Special Features:
- Great Food!2dinersDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I always enjoy this restaurant and this was no exception. I had the seasonal butternut squash and ricotta shells and they were so delicious. We were both very happy with the atmosphere, the service and the food.Special Features:
- The place to go for any celebrationMLP28Dined on 10/24/2014We love Monocacy Crossing and go here any chance we get; this time we were celebrating my husbands birthday with some friends. We had a fun and enjoyable evening; the food was excellent as always, the wine menu impressive, and the husbands loved the seasonal beers. We found ourselves closing down the restaurant; its such a great place to simply relax with friends and enjoy an exceptional meal. Don't let this gem pass you by; stop down and make this one of your favorite places to dine!Special Features:
- Always pleased when dining hereorethajessieDined on 10/23/2014The food was great as usual. My wife had the shrimp and grits, and I had the jambalaya. We are both from La, so we are pretty good at spotting authentic tasting cajun food. It did more than pass! Our only regret was that the noise level from a party sitting right behind us was rather loud. Because of the size of the dining area, you sometime have to deal with it.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerMDFIRE0412Dined on 10/23/2014It was a wonderful evening where the service was exceptional! The wine list is wide ranging and very nice. The food ranges from good to exceptional, with a delightful accent on the desserts! Overall I would give it a solid "4" for the Fredrrick area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CrazeeebabyVIPDined on 10/19/2014Excellent food and service. I love brunch and lunch and will sit outside one day. I am bringing a group of people there soon.Special Features:
- Attentive but not overbearingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Service was attentive to my requests yet gave me the time to enjoy my food without coming by the table every 5 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great PlaceDaveDined on 10/18/2014We go to Monocacy Crossing a few times a year and for special occasions; as usual, they didn't disappoint. The food and service were both excellent and the wine was superb. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- worth the wait and noisy guestsleftieVIPDined on 10/12/2014food is a good as at any downtown restaurant, without downtown prices. Service was slow, waiter didn't give any updates or check about need for refills. There was a boisterous group at a close-by table operating at ear splitting decibels. They quieted after their food arrived, except for a few outbursts.Special Features:
- Nice place, good foodEvaWDined on 10/8/2014We enjoyed our meal at Monocacy Crossing, but our service was lacking a bit. My dinner was excellent, I had the filet mignon with foie gras demi glade. My husband had the jambalaya and was not as enthusiastic. Our friend loved the pork shank. My appetizer was the pork belly with fried poached egg. It was good, but the pork was under seasoned. Our service was very friendly, but also very slow. I suspect that they were cleaning and prepping to close and didn't realize that they were neglecting us. We were drinking soft drinks which were served in small flutes and could not get a refill to go with dinner. Our friends were drinking cocktails and didn't get to order a second. My dinner was good enough to try again.
- Great country spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Really enjoyed the food and the service. A great authentic jumbalaya, and NY strip cooked perfect, crisp outside - melt in your mouth inner. Only regret is that we should of went earlier in the year to have a nice dinner outside.
- Lovely surprisechickdebDined on 9/28/2014This place is a gem. A bit out of the way, but worth the trip. All our entrees were delicious and the appetizers were very creative: Artichoke Beignets! Reasonably priced, good service, and quiet.....a real plus for us. We do not enjoy today's modern restaurants' noise levels.Special Features:
- SharonOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014I love the location . The food was very good but the dessert was excellent . Coconut pound cake with a rum glaze 🍴I can still taste it :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If I were selfish...makinmdDined on 9/26/2014... I wouldn't rate this very high so that I could keep this place all to myself. But truly the only "complaint" I can come up with is that it is difficult to choose a 'favorite' from the menu. Everything is delicious! The food is excellent, as is the service (this makes my wife happy). The portions are plentiful and the prices are reasonable (this makes me happy). I also recommend starting with cocktails on the patio.Special Features:
- Great time and food!TravelingGourmetDined on 9/20/2014Upon our arrival for our reservation, we were immediately taken to our table without having to wait. Our server, Natalie, took great care of our party of 6. Even though your restaurant does not have a children's menu, she was prepared with offerings for our 8-year-old daughter. I appreciated the care Natalie took with my daughter. I tried two appetizers of Black Bean and Beef Chili soup and Deviled eggs with Crab meat. Both were delicious. I had a main course of Buttermilk crusted Chicken with Tasso Ham gravy, mashed potatoes, and string beans. The food was very good. Each dish was distinctive, fresh, and a delight to eat. After eating, I didn't have room for dessert. Maybe, I will try one during my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant impressions1inthesandDined on 9/19/2014The food was very tasty, the portions were just right, and the desserts were creative and different. We were pleasantly surprised to be able to buy a bottle of wine that we had tried with the meal and enjoyed very much. The service was friendly and personal from a very professional wait staff.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerTheCogDined on 9/18/2014Staff was exceptional and had a special table for us. Food was excellent and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- very niceripvanDined on 9/17/2014was in the area on business, and just did a google search for food in Frederick and came across Monocacy. Was a bit worried when I drove up because it seemed to be a bit remote. But dinner was very good, and recommended it to my parents later that night, who are local (Manassas - at least more so than me since I live in NC)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb as alwaysChessieDined on 9/7/2014Our go-to place for special occasions, in this case my birthday. The crab dip is amazing, with spinach and corn, and with perfectly crisp pita chips, loved it, in fact we sort of fought over it. :-) I loved the coho salmon special, it was perfectly cooked - rare yet served hot, how do they do that? And the famous coconut pound cake is as good as ever. A nice touch for birthdays is a delish puff pastry with candle. :-) Nice wine selection and the server offered me tastes of several reds to choose from.... we like to dine on the patio, weather permitting, and it was very nice. Overall, we have never been disappointed. Yay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- please fix metrustmeDined on 9/7/2014This is a restaurant with excellent food, overly generous portions and genial efficient service. What a great place it would be with a serious redo. Please lose the panelling, the stove, the artificial greenery and the horrible carpeting. All the best food loses something in this dingy setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond with rough edgesFoodieforlifeDined on 9/5/2014The food is very good. Very, very good. Gourmet quality in many respects. Interesting, balanced dishes with fresh ingredients, simple at times, complex at other times. The place has a worn feel that is charming for dinner. Oddly the patrons seem unimpressed, or at least they don't see any reason not to wear shorts, t-shirts and sneakers to dine. The service tries hard but there seem to be not enough waiters and too many servers. But I will be back!!!Special Features:
- Out of the ordinaryCslotkinDined on 8/30/2014A delicious dining experience. Food is excellent, well prepared and tasteful. Service is ffriendly, helpful and personable. Second time we ate here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal2dinersDined on 8/30/2014Monocacy Crossing is always a delicious meal and this was no exception. It is also a very nice romantic restaurant, but not stuffy at all. We ate indoors, which was very cozy, but when the weather is nice, we really enjoy the patio as well.Special Features:
- Really niceQwestDined on 8/29/2014Wife and I haven't really been on a real date in 13 years with kids and careers. It was very nice to go to a place with no children and without our own. The food was great very limited menu so I would advise checking that out first. At first it appears to be stuffy but isn't at all. The staff was very friendly and the cocktails were awesome. They do have a pretty extensive wine list whichever wife absolutely loved. Nothing pretentious about the place at all. I also didn't find it expensive. 3 mixed drinks two hearty meals and an oversized appetizer for 97 bucks isn't bad at all. It was a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful VarietymytableDined on 8/29/2014Four of us ate here for the first time. We began with shared Whiskey/Duck nachos which the "other couple" had not intended to eat; however, the smell alone won them over. Not to worry about the change of minds as there were plenty of nachos for all. Three of the four us thought the duck tasted like pork. Entry wise we had: beef medallions; BBQ gulf shrimp with cheesy grits; pork tenderloin; and tagliatelle with cherry tomatoes, arugula, and calamari. Everyone commented on how each ingredient in his/her dish was cooked properly and the overall flavor was distinctive and satisfying. I had the tagliatelle and was very impressed with the freshness of the ingredients, the full flavor, and the overall lightness of the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LmrLuvfoodDined on 8/27/2014Was an excellent night. Good was fantastic! Service was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must TryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014A lovely place to have a great dinner. Food amazing!! Great outdoor space.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!foodie4lifeDined on 8/24/2014I have dined here many times over the past years and this restaurant never disappoints! The food is excellent and service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Our server was excellent - very friendly and attentive. The food however was very disappointing. The fried calamari appetizer was a bit undercooked while the fish and chips lunch was overcooked. The biggest disappointment was the flounder special. It was bad enough that the chef burnt the breading (which definitely flavored the fish), but the server actually brought it to our table. We sent the dish back and when the replacement meal was brought out, the fish was slightly undercooked. Really??? At that point we accepted the meal because we didn't want to deal with sending it back yet again. I could understand these things happening if the restaurant was busy, but we were the ONLY patrons in the dining room at that time.
- Monocacy CrossingTomSDined on 8/22/2014Monocacy Crossing is one of our favorite restaurants for special occasions. Our expectations for a wonderful meal and celebration are always met. The food is prepared very well and the variety of choices is wide. The prices of the appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts are ALL very reasonable. We thoroughly enjoyed are 44th anniversary celebration at MC :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply SplendidbirthdaybuddyDined on 8/20/2014My friend and I like to celebrate birthday occasions and we have chosen Monocacy Crossing for this for the past 3 years. We love everything about MC: the overall atmosphere, the creative menu, the wonderful food that is always elegantly presented, and the excellent service we always receive. MC truly makes our birthday celebrations special occasions of fine dining, which is why we come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monocacy CrossingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014One of my favorite restaurants of all time. The service was great and the food exceptional. What a wonderful time celebrating out Anniversary!Special Features:
- CindyDined on 8/17/2014My bread plate had dried egg on it and the food was mediocre at best.