Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
10 Wailea Gateway Place, Unit B-201
Kihei, HI 96753Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/
- Phone: 8088912322
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Peter Merriman / Cory Waite
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two outdoor dining areas that are available for private parties. Both dining areas overlook the ocean and can offer spectacular views of the sunset. We are also able to accommodate very large parties that are interested in buying out the entire restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: General Manager 8088912322
- Entertainment: We feature nightly entertainment from 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM. Our artists embody the spirit of Aloha and feature music from contemporary Hawaiian to light rock.
A word from Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
Our chef driven concept is lead by the classically trained, award winning chef, Peter Merriman. Peter is a culinary pioneer and one of the founders of Hawaii Regional Cuisine. He has always been inspired by the people and products around him and this spirit has lead the movement to look at food in Hawaii in a new light. Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman embraces this passion! Each item on the menu demonstrates our commitment to craft and showcases high quality, socially conscious ingredients, creative preparations, and perfect execution. Our dedication to craft also extends to our beverage program. Our 36 beers on tap are the coldest on Maui and are all handcrafted. You can also enjoy one of our culinary cocktails, made with fresh ingredients and lots of Aloha. At Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman, you can enjoy Peter's Hawaii Regional Cuisine in a fun, casual environment and come to know what it means to be "Lucky Live Hawaii"! We can't wait to see you at Monkeypod KitchenContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea - Best Restaurants in Wailea ›
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea reviews from OpenTable diners
284 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (141)fit for foodies (125)kid-friendly (104)good for groups (96)vibrant bar scene (94)hot spot (89)neighborhood gem (87)scenic view (83)great for lunch (68)special occasion (55)late-night find (36)notable wine list (29)romantic (27)great for brunch (20)Show More
- Party of 4OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We booked online and had great night. Food was shared and live entertainment (acoustic guitarist) was very nice. Go there. Keep them alive and well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Best bartenders on the island. Locally sourced ingredients. Service is typically great but last night it was a little slow (a server I haven't had before). I recommend the No Ka Oi cocktail, hamakua pizza & truffle fries. Fun happy hour crowd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs upGojays555Dined on 8/28/2014Had the squash ravioli app and it was great. Loved the pulled pork sandwich. Good ambiance. Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousHwdfoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014We were at dinner at 5 pm--happy hour at Monkeypod--1/2 priced appetizers and reduced-price drinks, including $7 house wines that were actually very good for the price (considering Maui prices). They had a choice of 3 sparklers (not on happy hour) and we tried two--both were excellent. The smoked taro hummus was spectacular with a unique smokey flavor. We got the fish sandwich (always good, especially with the 1/2 price truffle fries accompaniment) and the fish special (Onaga with lobster mashed potatoes). Everything was delicious as always. The chocolate cream pie was good, but nothing special. Once they realized which waiter had our table, service was excellent. We had requested to sit outside and that's a much quieter locale.Special Features:
- Great dinner!anndinnerDined on 8/25/2014It was everything people said it was! Really good, fresh food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too noisy insideOpinionatorVIPDined on 8/25/2014We moved to outdoor table. Creative and good. We couldnt hear inside due to entertainer with volume up way too high. But outside casual and informal. Servers very accommodating to our need to change tables.Special Features:
- Great FoodCharleysDined on 8/22/2014Food was great. Had a great waitress and the timing was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitHeidi93065Dined on 8/22/2014We had been spending $200 for dinner every night in Wailea. We have seen the Monkey Pod almost in walking distance of the Four Seasons for the last several years, but my wife wouldn't go because she saw a bad review online. We finally decided to give it a shot. Glad we did. Honestly, we had better food for less than half of what we had been spending. Server was very nice and accommodated our loud mouth little ruffians. I will go back. And that person who made that negative review years ago....Should go to Nordstrom's and buy some taste. This place was refreshing.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedQB213VIPDined on 8/21/2014When we arrived, after confirming a reservation on Open Table, we were informed by hostess that the only table they had availalbe immediately was a small table in the bar (we were a party of 6) and this table was only big enough for 4 people!!!! This table was right next to the speaker for the singer/guitarist so in addition to being too small, we couldn't hold a conversation either. We then were given a buzzer and had to wait for a table. Once seated, we found the food to be average, the service to be spotty and the entire noise level in the restaurant so loud that it was unpleasant.
- fun. goof food.rloqcVIPDined on 8/20/2014Noisy hot spot. Good service. Tasty food. Moderate prices for Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant in MauikooklaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Loved everything about this restaurant. Great drinks, food, and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monkey pod time!OmoffroadDined on 8/19/2014We are here after reading reviews on urban spoon... The place itself is great, but the food was lacking with the exception of the pie.. My wife got a fillet she had to saw through it was so tough. I had the macadamia nut crusted fish, which was good. The sides on the other hand were plain jasmine rice, and local veggies. Veggies were ok, rice was just "rice". Kind of lacking. Not sure what the band of sinue running through the fillet was. Not a normal cut to me.. The bar is great for drinks before and after dinner. Music and service were great.Special Features:
- never disappoints!eatitupDined on 8/18/2014Whenever we are in Maui, we always make sure we get a dinner (or 3!) in at Monkey Pod. Great service, beautiful food. Family friendly and romantic all at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieFoodieDined on 8/18/2014This restaurant in my opinion is one of the best in Wailea. Many Wailea restaurants like Mateos and Longies are getting tired, are over priced, and resting on their laurels with mediocre food, and concept. Monkey pod is fresh, modern, and definitely worth the visit and money!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been 5 starGimmefoodDined on 8/17/2014Service great! Food very tasty! Great atmosphere! Where fell completely short was my dish call Keahole Lobster and Fresh Fish Coconut Stew. It lack the main ingredient of LOBSTER. Had to dig around for 6 tiny bits of lobster. Had plenty of the fish which was dry and unflavorful. Ruined otherwise delicious stew with perfect amount of heat. We also had mixed green salad with beets and goat cheese - really nice! The steak which was one of best! Great seasoning and tender! Strawberry cream pie was perfect level sweet and airy! Would go again but if your expecting lobster in the stew, you'll be really disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good ViewSethVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great beer selection as well as good food. Good atmosphere and a nice patio for outdoor dining.Special Features:
- StiuDined on 8/15/2014Our server Damien was so funny and treated us so good! We really enjoyed ourselves! And of course the food was awesome, always is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoying Monkey Pod...BeensDined on 8/15/2014Monkey pod is very good but they are doing a lot in the restaurant; bar area with many tbs booths and hittable in bar area, bar seats at kitchen prep area, live music open air plan - its really noisy - but still fun its on the cusp of just being noisy. The menu is involved and uses a lot of locally grown items = excellent. Servers are very well versed in the menu - and descriptions are lengthy. The food was very interesting, appetizing and tasty - well plated. The vegetable side with the filet was a 'plate filler' - shredded carrots and celery - it could have been so much more interesting. The coffee is a served in a french press and is excellent. Go to Monkey pod you will have fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant dining spot with good food808DinerDined on 8/15/2014We were pleased with our recent meal. We shared the truffle oil fries and chicken wings for appetizers, then ordered the Ahi for myself and the peppered beef for my hubby. I would say that the food was tasty and enjoyable while not necessarily special, or anything that I would crave over time. But the views at sunset were a treat, and the staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- Awesome place!TexasFunGroupDined on 8/15/2014Had a group of four, and we all had great food and a great time! We will definitely be back next time we are in Maui! Waitress was superb and attentive, drinks were fantastic. ...definitely have a Mai Tai! We met some of their staff earlier in the week on the beach, and they were not kidding when they said it was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner w/ FamilyBigSexyEatsDined on 8/15/2014Monkeypod is a local restaurant for us and we always receive excellent service. The food is consistently great. The chicken wing appetizers are my favorite. The staff are friendly and service is fast. We were there for a birthday dinner and got excellent service, as usual. I've been there many times and it can get loud occasionally. It's everyone having a good time and adds to the Aloha. From the bar during Happy Hour to the live music to dinner with family, it's a good place to relax and enjoy yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experience!!!MauivacayDined on 8/14/2014Service was spectacular, our server was excellent, food was amazing. Will be returning in 2015.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome view, yummy foodMarieChristineDined on 8/14/2014We love Merriman's other restaurants, and this one didn't disappoint. Great food, inventive preparation, and thoughtful reworking of some classic dishes. Don't miss the ahi taco appetizer. We also loved the full beer on tap listing, and the drinks. If you're looking for something fun, and tasty, this is your Maui go to spot.Special Features:
- Wish MPK was stateside/east coast!!ViolettaDined on 8/13/2014Our first trip to Maui (& Hawaii). Stayed in Wailea & found Monkeypod Kitchen (MPK) on OpenTable. What a find!! Stayed in Maui 5 nights. Ate at MPK 2 nights!! Came for happy hour the 1st time & came back for happy hour & dinner the 2nd time. Food was awesome & service was terrific. Everything tasted fresh, great atmosphere, good live music on 2nd visit. Appetizers: Margherita pizza, Tzatziki chicken wings, Smoked Taro hummus Entree: Peppercorn-rubbed filet Dessert: Lilikoi cream pie & coffee & the BEST Mai Tai(s) I have ever had ... EVER!! DO NOT miss this TREAT!! I want to tell everyone to check it out BUT at the same time keep it a secret so that it won't change. If ever in any part of Maui again, I will surely eat at MPK again (& again)Special Features:
- Great Wailea diningGREATDined on 8/13/2014Monkey Pod was recommended to us after we enjoyed Merrimans. This is a fun atmosphere, excellent choices with some well priced options. Great drinks. LOVED happy hour. Will definately recommend and go back next time in Maui!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/12/2014Ate lunch here 2 days in a row, wonderful fresh menu. Had a kale salad that was delicious, unlike kale from the supermarket the kale in this salad was flavorful.Special Features:
- Great dinner, trendy restaurantgw54Dined on 8/11/2014Had a wonderful dinner on the terrace overlooking the ocean at sunset. Food and service were both excellent. Was good enough that we made a return trip a couple days later. Next time we're on Maui, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monkeys love Pizza!PoopsicDined on 8/8/2014The energy level was good, kind of loud, but we didn't mind, but the food was rather disappointing on the night we were there, This is more of a local TGIF kind of place, stick to the pizza and other kind of foods, the higher end protein plates like the fish entre's get screwed up because the kitchen is trying hard to crank out enormous volumes of orders,Special Features:
- Dependable upscale w local flavorHappyFoodiesDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed dinner on several visits. My wife grew up in Kihei but we are on the mainland. The style of mainland city food with local produce and island accents really suits their diners well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014the creative menu, excellent service, fresh food, and bustling ambiance makes this restaurant a nice and fresh break from the resort restaurants in the Wailea areaSpecial Features:
- Don't oversellmauiwowieDined on 8/3/2014We chose The Monkeypod because of the great reviews online and I'm glad we came! Service was great and we were seated about an hour before our reservation which was VERY nice. The food was great and I really recommend the Margherita pizza! I wouldn't recommend the pie though. Our awesome server was very adamant about the pies being their crown jewel but at best it was a 4 out of 10. It was obviously not homemade and had been thawed recently...super disappointing to a lover of pies. So there comes in my title. Don't oversell the pies. Overall The Monkeypod is a fantastic choice.Special Features:
- We loved everything about itScottDined on 8/3/2014My wife loved her fire roasted pizza .. I thought the portions were to small .. My wife and couple I was with thought the food was fantastic and plentifulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better in the pastMarkusDined on 8/2/2014Seems like this place had better food in previous years. I get the feeling that they have gotten 'too busy' and the quality of food has gone downhill. Small kitchen and chefs working hard, but just too many people to service.Special Features:
- Amazing Ahi!SandytoesDined on 8/2/2014I was impressed with expierence. The hostesses we accommodating , our server was friendly. The beer selection was well rounded and delightfully chilled.We had the raw bar trio which was just "okay"-I won't recommend it, there are better pupus on the menu . Our kids shared a cheeseburger which was perfect for them with what appeared to be and tasted like FRESH-cut potatoes-score!my husband had the grass fed filet with kona coffee butter , and I had the ahi steak- it's hard to choose a favorite there. They were both melt in your mouth amazing flavorful dishes . And the jalapeño mashed potatos rock. Thumbs upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great option away from resorts!RestaurantOwnerVIPDined on 8/1/2014This place is a fantastic getaway from the over priced and super dated bar programs at many of the resorts and particularly the Grand Wailea. Excellent bar program and lot's of locally sourced products. Super friendly staff. Try the Mai Tai - best on the Island!Special Features:
- Yum!feedingthefamilyDined on 7/31/2014Monkeypod Kitchen serves great food with high quality ingredients. I appreciated how well our server both knew the food being served and how to accommodate my family's various food allergies. He was incredibly helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyedAngieDined on 7/30/2014We went for dinner and came back few days later just for a drink at the bar. The food was delicious and loves sitting on the patio. Inside was a little loud but had a great vibe. Best dish tried between two visits was the coconut curry fish stew my husband had. Was awesome! We will definitely come back next time on the island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlrightTinkabelDined on 7/26/2014The food wasn't the greatest. Mains were the fish tacos, which left a bit to be desired and my boyfriend had macadamia crusted hapuku a salad and two sides. I'm an Aussie (and consider myself a bit of a foodie) so heavy, rich American style food doesn't really appeal to me and at $130 for the two of us seemed a bit steep. The service was very friendly. Got seated outside which we considered a saviour as inside was very lively (read cramped and noisy)Special Features:
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/26/2014Don't remember our waiters name but he lived in Brighton for six years and he was awesome. One of the best menus I have ever seen. Kale salad incredible and I don't even like kale. Can make anything taste great with creamy sauces and salt etc. but to serve a dish that is so good just by using fresh quality ingredients so healthy and delicious that is a home run. Fish tacos magnificent Chardonnay good and not too expensive. They even wowed me by serving my scotch with two fresh olives and with the number of scotches I've had all over the world that was a first and truly impressive. Thanks for making our first meal in Maui such a memorable experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantHollyandBillDined on 7/25/2014We were here 2 years ago and the food is still great. Love the entertainment. We had 4 kids with us and they could easily find something for them. The prices aren't bad. Desserts were great. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.