Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
10 Wailea Gateway Place, Unit B-201
Kihei, HI 96753Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/
- Phone: 8088912322
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Peter Merriman / Cory Waite
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two outdoor dining areas that are available for private parties. Both dining areas overlook the ocean and can offer spectacular views of the sunset. We are also able to accommodate very large parties that are interested in buying out the entire restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: General Manager 8088912322
- Entertainment: We feature nightly entertainment from 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM. Our artists embody the spirit of Aloha and feature music from contemporary Hawaiian to light rock.
A word from Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
Our chef driven concept is lead by the classically trained, award winning chef, Peter Merriman. Peter is a culinary pioneer and one of the founders of Hawaii Regional Cuisine. He has always been inspired by the people and products around him and this spirit has lead the movement to look at food in Hawaii in a new light. Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman embraces this passion! Each item on the menu demonstrates our commitment to craft and showcases high quality, socially conscious ingredients, creative preparations, and perfect execution. Our dedication to craft also extends to our beverage program. Our 36 beers on tap are the coldest on Maui and are all handcrafted. You can also enjoy one of our culinary cocktails, made with fresh ingredients and lots of Aloha. At Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman, you can enjoy Peter's Hawaii Regional Cuisine in a fun, casual environment and come to know what it means to be "Lucky Live Hawaii"! We can't wait to see you at Monkeypod KitchenContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea - Best Restaurants in Wailea ›
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea reviews from OpenTable diners
289 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (140)fit for foodies (138)vibrant bar scene (114)hot spot (113)good for groups (108)neighborhood gem (107)kid-friendly (104)scenic view (73)great for lunch (71)special occasion (63)notable wine list (36)late-night find (33)romantic (32)great for brunch (21)Show More
- Delicious Gem!JJinPADined on 10/29/2014It's a must if you are visiting Maui. The fish tacos were some of the best I've ever had. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experienceimmmacDined on 10/29/2014I have enjoyed Peter Merryman's restaurants on the Big Island so looked forward to a similar experience in Wailea (Maui). The hostess staff was very rude when I called to clarify appointment time that I set up and continued to be rude ( possibly same person but think that may be a stretch) when we actually arrived at the restaurant and were told that we would have to wait, it was busy and we could not have a table away from the reservation desk as the table that we wanted was "reserved" -we had reservations too!. It was very, very, noisy which makes enjoying a truly delicious meal difficult. The meal WAS delicious and the fish very fresh. Our waitress was superb working many tables. Meal and wait staff saved this reviewSpecial Features:
- Dinnerws59Dined on 10/27/2014Wings came cold Would not recommend them Brussel sprout pizza very tastySpecial Features:
- Must Do in Wailea!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Monkeypod Kitchen offers everything.... Excellent bar with 33 tap beer choices, Hawaii cocktails, wood oven pizza, gourmet mains, well thought out wine list and a superb happy hour. Music Thursday to Sunday with an energetic noise level.Special Features:
- CookieCookieDined on 10/25/2014Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Loved it so much we went back the next night to enjoy another tantalizingly delicious meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth ittraveldinerDined on 10/24/2014I was expecting a lot more. The food is more pub food really, nothing creative really. $17 for regular chicken wings (btw the dill sauce does not go with chicken very well) and about $20 for 3 tiny tacos that lack meat and are trying to make up for it with raw Jalapeno. It does have a vibrant bar scene though, so if someone is looking for a couple of drinks and some snacks while enjoying music this place is ok. I have been trying different restaurants around the area for 2 weeks, this was one of the big disappointments. Service was sub-par as well, everything seemed rushed to get high turnover.
- Hope you are in a hurryddljrVIPDined on 10/24/2014Surprisingly busy. The main course came almost as soon as the salad arrived. Salty food. Many other better choices in Wailea.
- Not what we were looking forDinner4TwoDined on 10/23/2014When we read the great reviews on-line, we were thinking it would be a great spot for two on a romantic vacation. It's not really built for that. It has a mass-produced feeling to it that is great for families and kids, not great for romance. The service was good, the food was very good, but there was no sense of personality or uniqueness. There was a lack of island in this chain. Maybe it was our table, wedged in the corner by the service cart and highway, or maybe it was the noise level of the patrons but I felt like I was in Anywhere, USA. We were in and out in under 45 minutes, so their speed is impressive.Special Features:
- Great Lobster Pizza!!AZEdDined on 10/20/2014The lobster pizza was awesome!! My wife and I were looking for a burger and a pizza to share since we were on our honeymoon and were tired of steak and fish. The burger was not what we expected (over-cooked) as it came highly recommended, but the lobster pizza we shared was incredible. The Manager took care of the burger and we decided to order a second lobster pizza because it was so good. We didn't finish the second one, but were very happy with it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LuvyummyeatsDined on 10/19/2014Pizza and salad were wonderful... Busy place. Glad we made reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time !SeaJimDined on 10/19/2014We went for an early dinner and caught the tail end of happy hour as a bonus! Food was excellent, service was great. We had an excellent time. A bit loud on the inside but we ate outside and it was perfect. Reservations recommended. We got seated right away even though there was quite a crowd waiting to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appetizers!!!ZeldaDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic food and it is quieter if you sit outside, otherwise it is hard to have a conversation at dinner. Delicious fish special but be prepared to spend big bucks!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MamaGardelsDined on 10/17/2014We chose to dine inside. BIG MISTAKE! The noise level was through the roof and one child had a huge temper tantrum and parents did nothing. NOt Monkey Pods fault though... I would recommend this restaurant and go again. Sit outside though. Service and Food were outstanding. IF YOU HAVE KIDiS... it is very kid friendly, but if your child misbehaves, please deal with it ;)Special Features:
- Local Fare in Mauidinter6668Dined on 10/16/2014My wife and I dined at Monkeypod Kitchen in mid October as part of our 25th anniversary celebration. Our sever was great, and the food was awesome. They had live music and it was very good. I highly recommend any of the fish dishes as all are from daily freshly caught fish of the day. All the ingredients used are organic and locally sourced and grown. A great dinner for a very agreeable price. Mahalo Monkeypod!Special Features:
- Just What We WantedsmriDined on 10/16/2014After four days of a corporate event with unimaginative meals, we were looking for something special but affordable. Moneypod was the perfect choice. We dined outside at sunset - beautiful view. Our salads were great - we could have split one. I had the lobster pizza which was outstanding. We liked it so much we came back the next day for lunch. We each had a salad and split the margherita pizza. It was excellent - hot melted cheese with fresh cool tomatoes and basil. Splurge and split a piece of pie - the Banana Cream was outstanding.Special Features:
- A must see while on MauiFeedmeDined on 10/14/2014Overall awesome dining experience. I have been many times . I Love coming back because I know the quality is consistent and the food amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paradise outdoor view, so-so foodSheila771Dined on 10/9/2014This was our 2nd visit to Monkeypod. Great Wailea location, best Mai tai ever.....but .....although our outdoor patio table had a beautiful sunset view, the entrees were over priced for the food flavors. The food is fresh but lacked flavor. The snapper special was bland paired with a lobster infused mashed potato and steamed carrots, as was the case with the macadamia nut crusted Mahi mahi. The rib eye was sliced very thin and was the most flavorful with an olive tapanade paired with polenta fries at $40. i'm sure the simpler entrees (pizza, salads) would have made our experience more worthwhile. Our waitress was friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Nothing specialReturningHomeDined on 10/9/2014Went to Monkeypod for our last night in Maui. Sat outdoors and the setting at sunset was nice. Glad we did for the music inside was loud. Place was crowded and service was slow. No fixed member of the staff, though one was the lead. Drink order taken, but another staff member brought drinks for all but one. When main server was asked for their drink advised us that the bar was out due to a change in vendor. Food was ok, but nothing special. Deserts were good and servings more than ample.Special Features:
- Great service pretty good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014We tried Monkeypod for one of our dinners while in Maui. The mai tai was delicious as people have rated before. We also ordered the cold/raw seafood appetizers, the seafood stew dish, and the poke tacos. Most of the food was tasty, but the poke tacos really did not have much flavor which was a little disappointing. The fact that the restaurant focuses on sustainable, organic, and local food sources is awesome.Special Features:
- ConsistentDavidVIPDined on 10/7/2014Always delivering fresh and consistent food. A fun hot spot and off the beaten path from traditional Maui tourists. Service is marginal and the inside is extremely loud during evening dining. It is a definite find for lunch and service is always 100% unlike dinner.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantnodozeDined on 10/6/2014After suggestions from many locals, we decided to try this restaurant, and we were very pleased. The drinks were fresh, no sugary pre-mixes, and much different than the rest of the island we visited. The food was wonderful. My wife loved the MacCrusted Mahi, especially the sauce used, and I greatly enjoyed the lobster mashed potatoes. Overall is was the best restaurant we visited in wailea, and in Maui though we were unable to make it to Mam's Fish house which was also highly suggested. Very close to all the major resorts in the area, easy to catch a shuttle or taxi to and from so you can enjoy your drinks and food.Special Features:
- Great Dinner In WaileaHawaiiJunkieDined on 10/5/2014Dining at Monkeypod was a great experience. Completely different from the other nice restaurants in this area in a good way. Service, food and outdoor dining atmosphere were all top notch. Mahi Mahi tacos and large selection of draft beers were the bomb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome fish special!deb1234567VIPDined on 10/5/2014We had a reservation for 2 at 6:45pm. We were greeted by 4 smiling greeters who sat us almost immediately. For our cocktail we both had the Makawao Ave and would recommend it to all. Caesar salad was perfectly dressed. We had the meat special and fish special, which were both spectacular! We were too full for a piece of pie (which I love)! The special key lime pie with caramel is yum! (I had it on a prior visit) Great live music and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WJWJVIPDined on 10/4/2014Best turkey burger my wife said she has ever had! Great variety - Raw Bar appetizer, I had a pizza and my wife had the turkey burger?Special Features:
- PuttyPapaVIPDined on 10/1/2014Good food...but everything is a la carte. If you want fries with your burger, be prepared for a big check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great vibe!Cheers2SuzyVIPDined on 9/29/2014After dining our way through the Wailea resort restaurants, it was refreshing to get out of the resort scene and head to a restaurant with a very lively atmosphere, great menu and wonderful service. Jill, our server, was friendly and attentive. We had amazing ahi poke and shrimp ceviche from the raw bar, along with spicy pork tacos that were delicious. Highly recommend this place for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fresh, food!LindaVIPDined on 9/28/2014I had fish tacos and my husband had fish and chips and the fish was delicious - very fresh. A little pricey - but it is Maui!Special Features:
- DeliciousLuvgoodfoodDined on 9/22/2014I highly recommend the coconut seafood stew and save room for dessert. Great place to watch the sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem....SpencerDined on 9/21/2014A place to be with friends and family for a once in a lifetime experience.. Flavorful dishes... great wines... awesome service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAUI ROCKS!winethirtyDined on 9/21/2014This place is a must if you visit Maui! Service was excellent and they had a lot of different foods but also food for the kids.Special Features:
- Good...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014I don't really have anything to add other than the fact that the ribeye was over seasoned, and the filet that was supposed to be medium was medium rare, and the ribeye that was supposed to be medium rare was medium. Good place to go. Nothing special or spectacular, though.Special Features:
- good, but not greatdiner303Dined on 9/18/2014The food was good, but overpriced. Also, the service was lacking and they seemed to be understaffed. That said, it's a decent casual option in Wailea where everything is overpriced.
- ExcellentCaroDined on 9/18/2014The fish tacos were excellent as was the mushroom pizza. The Proletariat pizza with black olives and peppers was tasty but the crust was a little soggy. The banana cream pie and the coconut cream pie were outstanding! Our server was very attentive and gave excellent advice about dishes. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- mind blownacdbDined on 9/17/2014The lobster pizza and strawberry cheesecake pie was the bomb!Special Features:
- Fantastic!JohnDined on 9/15/2014Service was incredible, Butternut squash Pizza OMG .Mai Tai's amazing, Fish & Chips incredible. Noodles ,Pizza, Did I mention the Mai Tai's?Special Features:
- Best mushroom truffle pizzaCavanaugh1213Dined on 9/15/2014Great food and service! I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner+mai tai=a good nightZeekandKesDined on 9/14/2014My husband and I decided to try monkey pod for dinner. We both ordered the specials. I had the filet rubbed with peppercorn and my hubby got the local catch of the day...he loved it! The Mai tai's were STRONG. I had one and could barely finish is the hubby had 2. Our waiter was awesome! He was so friendly, very descriptive, have us good recommendations...and insisted I finished my Mai Tai before we left. I would definitely come back here again on my next trip to Maui!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shay was an amazing serverMeliaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Our first time here and we can't wait to return. Shay was an outstanding server from her wine recommendations to her accommodations of our growing party. The food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLuvrfoodluvrVIPDined on 9/12/2014Arrived early, but took us immediately. Bartender was great and willing to try making us a drink we wanted that he never made before. Turned out great. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- Tasty but inconsistent serviceBeanieManVIPDined on 9/9/2014Great food (I had fish tacos and my wife a noodle dish) and an impressive draft list (the reason we went), but our server wasn't very attentive and seemed uninterested in us. He disappeared a few times and spent a long time describing the menu/specials to the table next to us while not even telling us that there were specials. We'd definitely give the place another try if we travel to Maui again and recommend it highly given the food/drink selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.