Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
10 Wailea Gateway Place, Unit B-201
Kihei, HI 96753Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/
- Phone: 8088912322
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Peter Merriman / Cory Waite
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two outdoor dining areas that are available for private parties. Both dining areas overlook the ocean and can offer spectacular views of the sunset. We are also able to accommodate very large parties that are interested in buying out the entire restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: General Manager 8088912322
- Entertainment: We feature nightly entertainment from 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM. Our artists embody the spirit of Aloha and feature music from contemporary Hawaiian to light rock.
A word from Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
Our chef driven concept is lead by the classically trained, award winning chef, Peter Merriman. Peter is a culinary pioneer and one of the founders of Hawaii Regional Cuisine. He has always been inspired by the people and products around him and this spirit has lead the movement to look at food in Hawaii in a new light. Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman embraces this passion! Each item on the menu demonstrates our commitment to craft and showcases high quality, socially conscious ingredients, creative preparations, and perfect execution. Our dedication to craft also extends to our beverage program. Our 36 beers on tap are the coldest on Maui and are all handcrafted. You can also enjoy one of our culinary cocktails, made with fresh ingredients and lots of Aloha. At Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman, you can enjoy Peter's Hawaii Regional Cuisine in a fun, casual environment and come to know what it means to be "Lucky Live Hawaii"! We can't wait to see you at Monkeypod KitchenContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea - Best Restaurants in Wailea ›
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea reviews from OpenTable diners
289 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (138)great for outdoor dining (136)vibrant bar scene (108)good for groups (104)hot spot (104)kid-friendly (101)neighborhood gem (99)scenic view (75)great for lunch (65)special occasion (63)late-night find (36)romantic (31)notable wine list (28)great for brunch (19)Show More
- Great food, great vibe!Cheers2SuzyVIPDined on 9/29/2014After dining our way through the Wailea resort restaurants, it was refreshing to get out of the resort scene and head to a restaurant with a very lively atmosphere, great menu and wonderful service. Jill, our server, was friendly and attentive. We had amazing ahi poke and shrimp ceviche from the raw bar, along with spicy pork tacos that were delicious. Highly recommend this place for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fresh, food!LindaVIPDined on 9/28/2014I had fish tacos and my husband had fish and chips and the fish was delicious - very fresh. A little pricey - but it is Maui!Special Features:
- DeliciousLuvgoodfoodDined on 9/22/2014I highly recommend the coconut seafood stew and save room for dessert. Great place to watch the sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem....SpencerDined on 9/21/2014A place to be with friends and family for a once in a lifetime experience.. Flavorful dishes... great wines... awesome service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAUI ROCKS!winethirtyDined on 9/21/2014This place is a must if you visit Maui! Service was excellent and they had a lot of different foods but also food for the kids.Special Features:
- Good...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014I don't really have anything to add other than the fact that the ribeye was over seasoned, and the filet that was supposed to be medium was medium rare, and the ribeye that was supposed to be medium rare was medium. Good place to go. Nothing special or spectacular, though.Special Features:
- good, but not greatdiner303Dined on 9/18/2014The food was good, but overpriced. Also, the service was lacking and they seemed to be understaffed. That said, it's a decent casual option in Wailea where everything is overpriced.
- ExcellentCaroDined on 9/18/2014The fish tacos were excellent as was the mushroom pizza. The Proletariat pizza with black olives and peppers was tasty but the crust was a little soggy. The banana cream pie and the coconut cream pie were outstanding! Our server was very attentive and gave excellent advice about dishes. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- mind blownacdbDined on 9/17/2014The lobster pizza and strawberry cheesecake pie was the bomb!Special Features:
- Fantastic!JohnDined on 9/15/2014Service was incredible, Butternut squash Pizza OMG .Mai Tai's amazing, Fish & Chips incredible. Noodles ,Pizza, Did I mention the Mai Tai's?Special Features:
- Best mushroom truffle pizzaCavanaugh1213Dined on 9/15/2014Great food and service! I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner+mai tai=a good nightZeekandKesDined on 9/14/2014My husband and I decided to try monkey pod for dinner. We both ordered the specials. I had the filet rubbed with peppercorn and my hubby got the local catch of the day...he loved it! The Mai tai's were STRONG. I had one and could barely finish is the hubby had 2. Our waiter was awesome! He was so friendly, very descriptive, have us good recommendations...and insisted I finished my Mai Tai before we left. I would definitely come back here again on my next trip to Maui!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shay was an amazing serverMeliaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Our first time here and we can't wait to return. Shay was an outstanding server from her wine recommendations to her accommodations of our growing party. The food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLuvrfoodluvrVIPDined on 9/12/2014Arrived early, but took us immediately. Bartender was great and willing to try making us a drink we wanted that he never made before. Turned out great. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- Tasty but inconsistent serviceBeanieManVIPDined on 9/9/2014Great food (I had fish tacos and my wife a noodle dish) and an impressive draft list (the reason we went), but our server wasn't very attentive and seemed uninterested in us. He disappeared a few times and spent a long time describing the menu/specials to the table next to us while not even telling us that there were specials. We'd definitely give the place another try if we travel to Maui again and recommend it highly given the food/drink selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best find in MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014We have beem coming to Maui for years. I don't remember enjoying a meal this much. Fish special of the day was amazing. So was everything else. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014We asked for a great table and we difinetly got one! The view was outstanding! What a great way to spend our 15 year anniversary. Our meal was outstanding as well. The jalapeño mash potatoes were so awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staff & foodKamaainaDined on 9/7/2014This time we sat on the Lanai , great sunset view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!BarbtheBeeDined on 9/7/2014Gives "locavore" a whole new meaning. Everything here is house made, down to the simplw syrups and mayo and catsup. Drinks with a newe twist, variety of starters and sides and entrees, yummy desserts. All ingredients are fresh and locally sourced - nothing shipped from elsewhere. If we weren't leaving tomorrow I would go back in a heartbeat. We drove from Kaanapoli Beach about 45 minutes to get to Kihei, where Monkeypod Kitchen is locatyed, and it was worth every minute of the drive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/20141Excellent spot for any occassion! Great for gathering with friends and family! Great food, great service and great place to have funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantfoodhappyDined on 9/5/2014For a change of pace from the luxury restaurants this place is great for Pizza and casual meals, food was great, service was great, went there 2 time during our 10 day stay on Maui.Special Features:
- Happy HourHowardDined on 9/5/2014This place is great for Happy Hour because the prices match the portions size-.3:30-5:30 gives ample time to sample their fare... Regular prices at other times would make this a very expensive option for dining..Special Features:
- MonkeyPodLuluDined on 9/4/2014Loved the restaurant. Great staff great food!!!! Would highly recommend a monkey pod. Great mojito'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing & Delicious PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I do recommend calling or booking ahead prior to going as we noticed there was quite the line to get in. This place sat us fast and were attentive to our needs from the second we arrived to the second we left. The appetizer we order was the wings and WOW ... amazing ... we all ordered different items from Fish n Chips to Steak and it was all spectacular!!! I highly recommend coming here ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced, underdeliveredMrsZDined on 9/3/2014We really wanted to LOVE this place (when you order two $40 entrees + wine + apps, you really want to love it) but it was just ok. There were extremely loud patrons at the bar, which I get, people are on vacation having a good time, except that it was kind of at an insane volume for a non-spring break situation (patrons were couples in their 30s) and that instead of the bartender keeping the group in line - two of them were doing shots and screaming along with them! It just kind of felt nuts to be paying fine dining prices for a restaurant with a deafening loud bar in a strip mall. So we were disappointed. Food was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. Definitely not worth the $. Wished we had gone back to Migrant that night.Special Features:
- So loud, inside and out!MartyVIPDined on 9/3/2014The food is great here, but I doubt we will go back. Inside is lively of course, but we chose to sit outside. Outside there was lots of traffic going by and an annoying noise which went off ever 30 seconds for about 30 seconds. None of the staff could identify the noise, but it was disruptive. Not a quiet night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT restaurantfilipinofoodieDined on 9/1/2014Our experience at MonkeyPod Wailea was excellent. The service, ambiance and the food were all 5-stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monkeypod is a HitOzziecatDined on 8/31/2014We ate at Monkeypod our last night on Maui. Food - We found the restaurant to have excellent food! The menu has a variety of American dishes with a Hawaiian flair. We had the Buffalo Wings and Caesar Salad first. The wings had the right spice and the caesar was just very good. Our entree's were Fish & Chips, Gnocchi, and the Pulled Pork Sandwich. All three were the hit. Service - The wait time was 30 minutes even with our reservation. So be prepared to wait. The waiter was very nice, but was backed up with his tables so you may have to wait a little while for the food. The food is a little pricey so be prepared to spend some cash.Special Features:
- Hot, Trendy and ForgettableSwankieVIPDined on 8/31/2014Merriman's outpost in Wailea was a huge disappointment. The newest restaurant in luxe Wailea was over the top noisy, seats crowded together like a Tokyo subway and the food overpriced and in one case inedible. I ordered the arugula salad which arrived way too wet with a cloying dressing--like it had been sitting in it for hours. The Saimin dish with Kahlua Pork was awful. It tasted like an old ashtray. Meat was tough and so saturated with liquid smoke seasoning, I gagged on it. The waiter walked by several times and I truied to catch his attention to remove the fetid dish...and he ignored our party. The other diner had a fish special which he commented tasted fresh and good, but portion was extremely small.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Awesome place we discovered! Will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Out door diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Had the best hamburger I have experienced in a long time, complemented with a great selection of beers.Special Features:
- Party of 4LongBeachRichoDined on 8/30/2014We booked online and had great night. Food was shared and live entertainment (acoustic guitarist) was very nice. Go there. Keep them alive and well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite spotsMauiShopGirlDined on 8/29/2014Best bartenders on the island. Locally sourced ingredients. Service is typically great but last night it was a little slow (a server I haven't had before). I recommend the No Ka Oi cocktail, hamakua pizza & truffle fries. Fun happy hour crowd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs upGojays555Dined on 8/28/2014Had the squash ravioli app and it was great. Loved the pulled pork sandwich. Good ambiance. Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousHwdfoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014We were at dinner at 5 pm--happy hour at Monkeypod--1/2 priced appetizers and reduced-price drinks, including $7 house wines that were actually very good for the price (considering Maui prices). They had a choice of 3 sparklers (not on happy hour) and we tried two--both were excellent. The smoked taro hummus was spectacular with a unique smokey flavor. We got the fish sandwich (always good, especially with the 1/2 price truffle fries accompaniment) and the fish special (Onaga with lobster mashed potatoes). Everything was delicious as always. The chocolate cream pie was good, but nothing special. Once they realized which waiter had our table, service was excellent. We had requested to sit outside and that's a much quieter locale.Special Features:
- Great Entertainment is a plusFoodieTravelerDined on 8/27/2014The food was great and they have a great guitarist playing there...Tom Conway. He has been on tour with Willie Nelson but does his own thing in Maui playing a nice variety of music. They can get crowded so a reservation is recommended. A little pricey but who isn't in Maui? Here you get good quality food.Special Features:
- Great dinner!anndinnerDined on 8/25/2014It was everything people said it was! Really good, fresh food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too noisy insideOpinionatorVIPDined on 8/25/2014We moved to outdoor table. Creative and good. We couldnt hear inside due to entertainer with volume up way too high. But outside casual and informal. Servers very accommodating to our need to change tables.Special Features:
- Absolute delight!XOXODined on 8/25/2014Charming, delicious, perfectly delightful, and amazingly consistent! Everything on the menus is superbly executed! Oven Charred Brussels Sprouts - great! Wild mushroom pizza - fantastic! Fresh gnocchi - some of the best we've had anywhere! Pumpkin Patch Ravioli - yummiest! Wood-Roasted Chicken Wings - very meaty and unusually tasty! Organic Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi - the best fish we had on the island. The bar is a special topic in itself! Simply put - the best mixed drinks we've had on the island! Real adult recipes; unlike so many other places these guys do not assume that bar patrons have severe alcohol allergies, so that you can, actually, taste alcohol in your cocktails, which are very nicely balanced. Service is friendly, fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCharleysDined on 8/22/2014Food was great. Had a great waitress and the timing was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.