Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
10 Wailea Gateway Place, Unit B-201
Kihei, HI 96753Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/
- Phone: (808) 891-2322
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Peter Merriman / Cory Waite
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two outdoor dining areas that are available for private parties. Both dining areas overlook the ocean and can offer spectacular views of the sunset. We are also able to accommodate very large parties that are interested in buying out the entire restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: General Manager 8088912322
- Entertainment: We feature nightly entertainment from 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM. Our artists embody the spirit of Aloha and feature music from contemporary Hawaiian to light rock.
A word from Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea
Our chef driven concept is lead by the classically trained, award winning chef, Peter Merriman. Peter is a culinary pioneer and one of the founders of Hawaii Regional Cuisine. He has always been inspired by the people and products around him and this spirit has lead the movement to look at food in Hawaii in a new light. Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman embraces this passion! Each item on the menu demonstrates our commitment to craft and showcases high quality, socially conscious ingredients, creative preparations, and perfect execution. Our dedication to craft also extends to our beverage program. Our 36 beers on tap are the coldest on Maui and are all handcrafted. You can also enjoy one of our culinary cocktails, made with fresh ingredients and lots of Aloha. At Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman, you can enjoy Peter's Hawaii Regional Cuisine in a fun, casual environment and come to know what it means to be "Lucky Live Hawaii"! We can't wait to see you at Monkeypod KitchenContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea - Best Restaurants in Wailea ›
Monkeypod Kitchen - Wailea reviews from OpenTable diners
295 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (147)great for outdoor dining (140)vibrant bar scene (132)hot spot (132)good for groups (120)neighborhood gem (109)kid-friendly (95)great for lunch (80)scenic view (78)special occasion (65)late-night find (40)notable wine list (40)romantic (39)great for brunch (20)Show More
- Hitting on all the right cylindersTonyDined on 11/21/2014Hitting on all the right cylinders from the great beers and cocktails right through the cream pies. All while watching the ocean view. Service was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great night!BlouDined on 11/20/2014Monkey pod didn't disappoint yet again. Love going and enjoying beer and pizza at the end of our day, and of course the sunset just adds to it. Always wonderful service to go with the great food! Thanks guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wailea Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014We made a 6:30 dinner reservation for Wailea Restaurant week and were seated at the back wall of the lounge beside the kitchen where we watched the cooks prepare the food. We also had to ask for the restaurant week menus and were told its just too good of a deal to hand the special menus out to everyone so they only hand them out on request. My filet steak was well over cooked (asked for med-rare), my husbands mahi mahi was very delicious. We will not be returning nor recommending Monkeypod, they should not participate in restaurant week if they do not wish to offer the menu to their customers. That in itself is bad business etiquette.
- TraceyannthompsonDined on 11/13/2014Aside from them trying to seat us outside in the pouring rain, it was a good experience. They can get really busy around dinner time, so don't assume that having a reservation will get you seated straight away. But great food, good cocktails and a vibrant atmosphere made for an enjoyable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly, good service, great live musicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014service was quick and friendly. the food was simple, well prepared and enjoyable. a glass of wine cost more than my entre and the desert pie had a strange "cream" we enjoyed the meal and the live music was a great plus we would go again...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for happy hour, if you can get in!WaileadinerDined on 11/13/2014We tried to get in earlier in the week and it was going to be a 45+ minute wait. So a reservation is a must! We requested an outside table, and unfortunately it did rain a little bit on us. Service was fine, not great (we have since been back and had a great waiter). The pizza was good (proletariate) but doesn't even compare to Paia Flatbread. Overall, the best for the price point in the area, if you can get in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2014Great food, reasonable prices, great atmosphere. Went back again because we loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPEJohn238VIPDined on 11/11/2014Thoroughly confused by all the hype. Saying this restaurant was "okay" would be a huge stretch. How can a restaurant have a wood fire pizza oven and the cheese not be melted?!? Can't even remember what else we had it was so uneventful. Don't even want to talk about the ambience. Only good thing . . . excellent female singer that night. Otherwise, SKIP IT!
- Great for lunch or dinnerMammaVDined on 11/11/2014We've now eaten at Monkeypod Kitchen 4 different times over 2 different trips to Maui and the food has been consistently good every time. The Mai Tais with the honey passionfruit foam on top are amazing. The place is super busy for dinner so make a reservation if you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always tastyEastBayGuyDined on 11/10/2014Monkeypod is an excellent alternative to the expensive resort restaurant options in Wailea. Perhaps in part because of Wailea Restaurant Week, it was packed, but we were seated within minutes of our reservation time. If you want to use the pre-fixe Restaurant Week menu, you'll have to ask for it; otherwise, you'll only see the regular menu. We enjoyed a small but tasty Caesar salad, the excellent Portugese bean soup, delicious pumpkin ravioli (only 3 on the plate, but perfect), and the macadamia nut crusted mahi-mahi (excellent.) All of this plus a generous slice of banana cream pie for $39 per person, a substantial reduction from the standard menu prices. The noise level is high inside, but wouldn't you rather be outside anyway?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CdngrlDined on 11/8/2014Awesome service, fresh, local fare. Lovely ambiance, great selection of brews. The coconut cream pie is not to be missed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014My family and I went here for a later evening dinner and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. It was a little loud so if you were looking for a quiet romantic dinner, I would recommend getting seating outside. There was live entertainment which was excellent. Our service was impeccable and the food was marvelous. we would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoorCALNHVIPDined on 11/7/2014We were ate outside. There is no view, except an electrical box and busy road. It was so dark we couldn't read the menu without a cellphone and couldn't so what we were eating. The pulled pork was fatty and we only enjoyed the French fries and dessert. Overpriced.
- Very Enjoyable Lunch!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014We sat outside on the patio, which has a nice view of the ocean. Lots of options on the menu (we really had trouble deciding) Excellent selection of beer on tap. My husband had the fish and chips and I had the fish and lobster stew (in a mouth watering green curry). Both were excellent. We would definitely return for another visit. As we were leaving I also noticed a very interesting looking bar that I could imagine myself wasting an afternoon enjoying good beer and appetizers.Special Features:
- Good but not greatHallerVIPDined on 11/6/2014We heard such good things about this place we wanted to give it a try. They have an interesting variety of things on their menu. Mostly it's common bar food with some creative flavors/twists. We ordered three entrees and all agreed it was good, but nothing to write home about. So many fantastic restaurants on the island, if we had it to do over we'd likely skip this one.Special Features:
- JeffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2014Great location; 1/2 price appetizers before 5:30; great and friendly service;Special Features:
- DisappointingJasonDined on 11/4/2014Food was overpriced, small portions, and there was no ambiance. Waiters acted like you owed them something. Reminded me of a more expensive Cheesecake Factory. Don't waste your money or time.
- Hot Spot in WaileanotoutallthetimeVIPDined on 11/4/2014We love Wailea and noticed the development of the Wailea Gateway Center, up by the highway away from the beaches. Two and a half years ago, the center was sleepy and looked like a failure. Now with three restaurants it is humming. This trip we tried Monkeypod Kitchen, which we had heard raves and some less so reviews about. We were seated immediately on the terrace and ate as the restaurant became truly busy, with shiny SUVs from the fancy hotels on the beach dropping off wave after wave. We had a really good red wine that was not expensive and I had a pizza while my wife had the special rib-eye. Her steak and potatoes was excellent and the accompanying beet salad was surprisingly refreshing. My pizza was excellent. No really.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall relaxing night outJoeyVIPDined on 11/3/2014Warm and friendly staff. Food was top notch. A good place to get away from the hotel restarauntsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mauinightcucina13Dined on 11/3/2014Dined here last year during restaurant week great food and service. This time with advance reservation seated in the dimmer area of patio, near door for staff traveling in and out. Needed cell phone light to read menu but not offered alternative seating Food was great, service averageI would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/2/2014Fish special was so fresh and delicious. Served on a medley of fresh local veggies. Lots of bright flavors and textures. Live music every night too. Worth a return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerWoozeDined on 11/2/2014We enjoy monkeypod and make a point to eat there each visit to Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we finally wentfoodnstuffDined on 11/1/2014We made a prior attempt to eat here earlier in our trip but the place was packed! Made a reservation and went back on our last night. Seated right away outside (great), server very friendly (great), drink order placed (wait...wait..wait). Took about 20 minutes. Server very apologetic and took our cocktails off the bill (great!). Food was really good. Fish tacos with Mahi Mahi were fabulous! The right about of food and flavor. Kids liked the cheeseburgers and the fries were awesome! Overall, great end to our trip to Maui. I would recommend MonkeyPod if you are in the Wailea area. I don't think I would drive from other parts of the island but definitely a great choice if close by.Special Features:
- Gluten free availableislandrmanDined on 11/1/2014Fish tacos were extraordinary! For gluten free it was cooked with a different oil and topped with cilantro and jalapeño peppers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- !st time hereYearlyMauiVisitDined on 10/31/2014Enjoyed our Happy Hour Meal on the deck, yes on the deck. We'll be back, food and drinks were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual version great Merriman FoodJBLMDMBAVIPDined on 10/30/2014The menu is more family friendly and kid friendly than the Kapalua or other Merriman's. THe quality of the foods are just as good. Many more small items and bite-sharing friendly preps. More affordable wines and beers are great selections. Live music was a bit loud compared to the live accompaniment at other Merrimans but perfect for lively evening. The fish was perfect. Tee pizza was grand - whatever combo you want to try. And the pies for dessert are a must try -Special Features:
- Delicious Gem!JJinPADined on 10/29/2014It's a must if you are visiting Maui. The fish tacos were some of the best I've ever had. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experienceimmmacDined on 10/29/2014I have enjoyed Peter Merryman's restaurants on the Big Island so looked forward to a similar experience in Wailea (Maui). The hostess staff was very rude when I called to clarify appointment time that I set up and continued to be rude ( possibly same person but think that may be a stretch) when we actually arrived at the restaurant and were told that we would have to wait, it was busy and we could not have a table away from the reservation desk as the table that we wanted was "reserved" -we had reservations too!. It was very, very, noisy which makes enjoying a truly delicious meal difficult. The meal WAS delicious and the fish very fresh. Our waitress was superb working many tables. Meal and wait staff saved this reviewSpecial Features:
- Hawaiian PostcardLikewhAtwelikeDined on 10/28/2014Food is excellent fresh and ample. The location and restaurant are the postcard view of hawaii. Setting on its own little beach full of coconut trees. Went they once then decided we had to go back...reservations for early evening are very tough, book more than a few days aheadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a romantice view, delicious food, service awesomeluvrusticDined on 10/27/2014This was our second time at Monkeypod. They seated us outside as requested. The service was friendly and prompt. Love the food and the scenic view ( got there at sunset)...A place that feels special and makes us feel that way. We plan to go back next year when we are in Hawaii.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinnerws59Dined on 10/27/2014Wings came cold Would not recommend them Brussel sprout pizza very tastySpecial Features:
- Must Do in Wailea!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Monkeypod Kitchen offers everything.... Excellent bar with 33 tap beer choices, Hawaii cocktails, wood oven pizza, gourmet mains, well thought out wine list and a superb happy hour. Music Thursday to Sunday with an energetic noise level.Special Features:
- CookieCookieDined on 10/25/2014Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Loved it so much we went back the next night to enjoy another tantalizingly delicious meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth ittraveldinerVIPDined on 10/24/2014I was expecting a lot more. The food is more pub food really, nothing creative really. $17 for regular chicken wings (btw the dill sauce does not go with chicken very well) and about $20 for 3 tiny tacos that lack meat and are trying to make up for it with raw Jalapeno. It does have a vibrant bar scene though, so if someone is looking for a couple of drinks and some snacks while enjoying music this place is ok. I have been trying different restaurants around the area for 2 weeks, this was one of the big disappointments. Service was sub-par as well, everything seemed rushed to get high turnover.
- Hope you are in a hurryddljrVIPDined on 10/24/2014Surprisingly busy. The main course came almost as soon as the salad arrived. Salty food. Many other better choices in Wailea.
- Not what we were looking forDinner4TwoDined on 10/23/2014When we read the great reviews on-line, we were thinking it would be a great spot for two on a romantic vacation. It's not really built for that. It has a mass-produced feeling to it that is great for families and kids, not great for romance. The service was good, the food was very good, but there was no sense of personality or uniqueness. There was a lack of island in this chain. Maybe it was our table, wedged in the corner by the service cart and highway, or maybe it was the noise level of the patrons but I felt like I was in Anywhere, USA. We were in and out in under 45 minutes, so their speed is impressive.Special Features:
- Great Lobster Pizza!!AZEdDined on 10/20/2014The lobster pizza was awesome!! My wife and I were looking for a burger and a pizza to share since we were on our honeymoon and were tired of steak and fish. The burger was not what we expected (over-cooked) as it came highly recommended, but the lobster pizza we shared was incredible. The Manager took care of the burger and we decided to order a second lobster pizza because it was so good. We didn't finish the second one, but were very happy with it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LuvyummyeatsDined on 10/19/2014Pizza and salad were wonderful... Busy place. Glad we made reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time !SeaJimDined on 10/19/2014We went for an early dinner and caught the tail end of happy hour as a bonus! Food was excellent, service was great. We had an excellent time. A bit loud on the inside but we ate outside and it was perfect. Reservations recommended. We got seated right away even though there was quite a crowd waiting to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appetizers!!!ZeldaDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic food and it is quieter if you sit outside, otherwise it is hard to have a conversation at dinner. Delicious fish special but be prepared to spend big bucks!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.