805 Lincoln Way
Auburn, CA 95603Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://monkeycat.com/
- Phone: 5308888492x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, International, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-site catering available. Plaese contact Jim @ 530-888-8492
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room available with a bar and Internet connection. Seats up to 28-up to 50 for cocktails. Customized menu. Please contact Jim @530-888-8492
- Private Party Contact: Jim 5308888492x
A word from Monkey Cat
Located in historic downtown Auburn, The Monkey Cat is a popular destination for both locals and visitors who are looking for a fine dining experience. Voted as "The Best Restaurant" in many reader's surveys (Auburn Journal), The Monkey Cat has a special ambience and extensive menu. In 2005, the owner, Jim Bril, came to Auburn from San Francisco where he was the managing partner of the famous Fior D' Italia in North Beach, known as "America's Oldest Italian Restaurant". He quickly made The Monkey Cat into Gold Country's premiere restaurant for fine dining, banquets, business gatherings and special occasions. The lunch and dinner menus offer something for every discerning palate. Discover great appetizers like Monkey Cat Crab Cakes, Shrimp & Lobster Wontons, Stuffed Portobello Mushroom, Prosciuttto Wrapped Chicken Skewers and more! There are many different salads and fabulous entrees including steaks, seafood, poultry and pasta!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Monkey Cat - Best Restaurants in Auburn ›
Monkey Cat reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)special occasion (39)fit for foodies (33)romantic (29)great for lunch (27)notable wine list (21)great for outdoor dining (13)hot spot (9)good for groups (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great FishvinofylDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had not dined here in several years because our last experience was rather mediocre. This time was very different. We each ordered fish; sole for my wife and salmon for me. Both were excellent. My salmon had an apricot/toasted almond topping that was out of this world. The sole was also wonderful and each plate included a perfectly prepared vegetable mix. We started by splitting the house salad which was very good. Service was prompt and personable. Prices are very reasonable and we felt that overall it was an excellent value.Special Features:
- Get treated like a kingSteeilDined on 8/29/2014My dad is on a salt restricted diet which makes dining out difficult. They totally catered to his special dietary needs and even made him his own bread. Definitely recommend that was a firstSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burgerDIXIEDEESgeochachesDined on 8/24/2014There grass fed burger was by far one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. Thet we're very accommodating to tweak the menu to our request.Special Features:
- Great servicePrettyGirlDined on 8/24/2014The staff at Monkey Cat was amazing. They hit my reservation notes line for line and took our dinning experiance to the next level. The food was excellant and though we did not save room or time for the deserts, we have already made plans to return for apitizers, then desert. "What a great experiance"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sr.SenioritisDined on 8/22/2014Service great, good very good. Need a better wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb PetraleHarloweDined on 8/22/2014I have ordered it on a number of occasions. Love the different sauces that go with it.Special Features:
- Auburn FavoriteRosanneDined on 8/16/2014This is our go-to restaurant in Auburn and since we live in Auburn, that's frequent. It's nice because it's a short drive, parking's good, and food is always delicious, the quality's consistent and the staff if most friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- ExpensiveDusterDined on 8/16/2014The service and food was good, but the cost was high for four people. We have eaten at many other restaurants that has same type of food and we paid a lot less money.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestauranttimdarDined on 8/11/2014We live near Reno, with many good restaurants. This is one of our favorite restaurants. We spent the night in Auburn just so we could have dinner here. Every time we have been here the service, food and atmosphere have been great. We hope to return soon. A must if you are stopping in Auburn.Special Features:
- Did not live up to expectationsfoodieandwinesnobVIPDined on 8/9/2014We were very encouraged by the reviews of the guests to Monkey Cat. The place is cute and eclectic. However... the food was just TERRIBLE!! I'm really sorry to have to write this review. I'm normally very optimistic when rating restaurants unfortunately this time, the restaurant needs to know. We were recommended the rack of lamb and the "special" of the nigh which was sword fish. Both of them BOMB! big time disasters. The rack of lamb was, let me put it in a honest way, tasteless, not cooked as the check recommended (medium rare, it was medium well!!) not good. The sword fish, my poor wife could only managed to eat half of it, because it really was that bad. I'm sorry to be this negative but, I felt I wasted $90.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We had Salmon and Filet Mignon. Both were excellent. Be advised if you use a groupon for your meal there they only allow 1 groupon per table. If both couples have a groupon you will not be allowed to use both at the same time. Bread they serve before dinner is excellent.Special Features:
- great restaurantAlamedaJeffDined on 8/2/2014definitely try the jalapeno bacon corn chowder it's really good . the breads are amazing and. The ambiance was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Surprise3nightsaweekDined on 8/2/2014Decided to try something new Saturday night. Found Monkey Cat on Open Table. Read the reviews and decided to give it a try. It was a real treat. Ambiance is great, service was perfect and the food was excellent. We will go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014We had a group of eight (including a baby and a toddler) for a family birthday dinner, and they accommodated us very well. From the custom pasta sauce for the toddler to the excellent bread, the food was great. The personal attention was awesome. The waitstaff danced with the kids! Quirky ambiance, in a good way, made it even more memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryS1Dined on 7/29/2014My wife and I enjoyed our dinner at the Monkey Cat. Our server was very attentive and she was very pleasant. Our food was served promptly and was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charming local restaurantPegasusDined on 7/28/2014let's keep this simple, great food, great service, good price... What more can you ask?Special Features:
- Excellent Auburn SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014Excellent food, friendly & knowledgeable service, great ambience all at reasonable prices. We had the seafood pasta and the rack of lamb. Haven't tasted better outside a few San Francisco restaurants. Open Table did mess up the reservation because it only allows for so many reservations. We went 45 minutes later than we wanted because Open Table said it was full but when we got there the place was only 30% occupied. Waitress explained that OT blocks out 90 minutes per table and that wasn't what the restaurant experienced. Oh well....Special Features:
- Great restaurant, great foodgolfergirlDined on 7/19/2014I have been to Monkey Cat before and really enjoyed it. I have to say that I think the food this time was even better than I remember. I had the mixed seafood special and it was delicious. My friend had the pork tenderloin and said that it was equally good. The service was outstanding. The restaurant itself is very inviting and comfortable. Great place!Special Features:
- First Timers2GormetsDined on 7/19/2014Our first visit to Monkey Cat for our 17th anniversary, and it did not disappoint. Very friendly wait staff, extraordinary food, very reasonable price. We made reservations to be on the safe side, but really did not need them. My wife and I had the pork medallions with an incredible sauce and veggies cooked perfectly. There was plenty of food and we actually boxed up some leftovers and took it home. It was especially nice to see art work from local artists on the walls for enjoyment or purchase. Every few months they feature a different artist. The restaurant is located away from the main downtown area where we parked just a few steps from the front door. Be sure to ask how the restaurant was named Monkey Cat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have a hamburger insteadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014I ordered the eggplant parmesan and it was tough and lacked flavor. I did not eat it. My husband had a hamburger which was good. They did comp me my meal. Good PRSpecial Features:
- Must have been busyNicholeVIPDined on 7/16/2014I routinely set up lunches at this restaurant due to fabulous food and drinks and you can have a conversation with out having to talk over other tables.. But this particular time was actually a horrible experience. The food took over 40 minutes to arrive, my sandwich was made incorrectly, the restaurant was loud and the waitress was extremely busy and it was hard to grab her attention. It looked as if they were not prepared for the crowd they received. Short staffed and over crowded.Special Features:
- Excellent!NinifishDined on 6/28/2014This was our second visit to the Monkey Cat. First was Thanksgiving 2013. We did not order the traditional turkey dinner and everyone was very pleased with their meal. Took our friends from the Bay Area recently and we all thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. Two ordered the fish special, one had lamb chops and one had the salmon. Our compliments to the chef! We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarthaDined on 6/28/2014This is a gem! Service and food are excellent. I would return to this restaurant and highly recommend it. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hey, it works!RaffaVIPDined on 6/27/2014Monkey Cat is not the most outstanding place to eat in Auburn, but it's not half bad. The staff are friendly, you can get it and out quickly, if that's your goal, or you can linger. We eat here again and again just cuz.
- 30th wedding AnniversaryAnniversaryDined on 6/23/2014Very nice atmosphere, we enjoyed our 30th wedding anniversary. The waitress was so accommodating and very pleasant. I would recommend monkey cat restaurant to anyone. The lunch menu looked good too. We will be back money cat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Place!FoodenthusVIPDined on 6/22/2014Very satisfied with food ambience and service. We would gladly come back to this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Compliments to the Chef!!hotdindinDined on 6/21/2014I ordered one of the Saturday night specials and it was delightful! It was a perfectly seasoned and prepared seafood stew in a cippino base with fettucini. Each of the four of us enjoyed our meal and the ability to engage in conversation which is not easily accomplished but the noise level allowed us to do so comfortably. The staff were very personable and efficient. Overall a spectacular experience and highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always dependableButchuDined on 6/21/2014Monkey Cat is owned and manage by an old dinning pro! You can always depend on great service and good food at reasonable prices. A local gem in Auburn CC.Special Features:
- Great restaurantloves2gooutDined on 6/20/2014We have enjoyed the Monkey Cat for years, been going there since it opened. I have taken guests from out of town and they've been impressed with the food, décor and service.Special Features:
- 5 out of 5PurplebullDined on 6/14/2014We had 5 people for Fathers Day Dinner. 3 had Sole, 1 had Lamb, and one had the Special which was Bass. All were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was wonderful!popspirojrDined on 6/13/2014Service was wonderful! Food was delightful. I appreciated the size of the portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014We choose Monkey Cat for our anniversary dinner and it was just perfect. The filet mignon was 'melt in your mouth' tender--best I've ever eaten. Service was terrific and overall a very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- very good food, excellent servicebeeskneesDined on 6/7/2014Our party of six all liked the food. The blue cheese and tomato soup, especially so. The Tempranillo wine was very good. We ate inside, but there is a pleasant looking patio, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Personal local favoriteRosanneDined on 6/4/2014We've made this our once a week go to favorite in Auburn and can always count on terrific food, great service, and a nice comfortable evening whether alone or with guests we bring. Great coffee too! Makes a nice desert stop if you're looking for one in Auburn.Special Features:
- Love this placeNicholeVIPDined on 6/2/2014I love the Monkey Cat, the food there is fabulous (well the Turkey BLT is amazing) maybe one of these days I will branch out and try something new. I tend to schedule all of my lunch meetings here due to the great prices, the fabulous food and its quiet so you can have lunch and attend to your business with out being interrupted..Special Features:
- Seafood PastaAaronDined on 5/31/2014We always go here for the Seafood Pasta. I have had it at other place's but they are the Best!Special Features:
- WaltPWaltPDined on 5/27/2014This was our first visit to this fine little restaurant. Well worth a short side trip off I 80. We stopped on the spur of the moment on our way up to Lake Tahoe on a Tuesday night. Our Friends at Fawnridge Winery had shared their enthusiasm for the Monkey Cat so we decided to give it a try. We had two delicious salads, the Spinach and the House. Both had interesting dressings well suited to the salad. We had petrale sole and the seafood pasta special; both dishes were very tasty. The wine list was not extensive, but very good. They had some fine local wines and our server had a good understanding of how to pair them with our meal. Give it a try, we think you will enjoy the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/25/2014Lamb was awesome!! Highly recommend it. The waitress was very helpful and friendly. The wontons were very good as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!BTBRATDined on 5/24/2014This was an incredible restaurant! This was out 2nd trip. Will we have more? ohhhhh yes! The service by Gabbie was incredible. Do I use incredible a lot? Why yes, I do.... TO DIE FOR!Special Features:
- Great Evening OutEwaBoyDined on 5/18/2014I was looking for a restaurant in Auburn to have dinner with my daughter and her boyfriend. This was the perfect choice! The ambience was warm & cozy, service excellent and the waitress added to our dining experience. The restaurant has a low noise level, offering the perfect venue for a quiet dinner and nice conversation. The menu had many interesting choices, and everyone at our table was very pleased with what they ordered. The next day my wife commented to a friend that the salmon she had was one of the top three salmon dishes she has had anywhere in the world. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody looking for a pleasant evening with friends, or just dining with a companion. What a Find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.