805 Lincoln Way
Auburn, CA 95603Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://monkeycat.com/
- Phone: 5308888492x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, International, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-site catering available. Plaese contact Jim @ 530-888-8492
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room available with a bar and Internet connection. Seats up to 28-up to 50 for cocktails. Customized menu. Please contact Jim @530-888-8492
- Private Party Contact: Jim 5308888492x
A word from Monkey Cat
Located in historic downtown Auburn, The Monkey Cat is a popular destination for both locals and visitors who are looking for a fine dining experience. Voted as "The Best Restaurant" in many reader's surveys (Auburn Journal), The Monkey Cat has a special ambience and extensive menu. In 2005, the owner, Jim Bril, came to Auburn from San Francisco where he was the managing partner of the famous Fior D' Italia in North Beach, known as "America's Oldest Italian Restaurant". He quickly made The Monkey Cat into Gold Country's premiere restaurant for fine dining, banquets, business gatherings and special occasions. The lunch and dinner menus offer something for every discerning palate. Discover great appetizers like Monkey Cat Crab Cakes, Shrimp & Lobster Wontons, Stuffed Portobello Mushroom, Prosciuttto Wrapped Chicken Skewers and more! There are many different salads and fabulous entrees including steaks, seafood, poultry and pasta!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Monkey Cat - Best Restaurants in Auburn ›
Monkey Cat reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)special occasion (45)fit for foodies (38)romantic (30)great for lunch (25)notable wine list (23)great for outdoor dining (20)hot spot (11)good for groups (9)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Consistent and WelcomingMargotDined on 10/14/2014Monkey Cat is one of the few places we choose to have a great meal in Auburn at an affordable price. The staff is attentive and friendly. The food is consistently good. Art decorates the walls and changes frequently. It's a perfect place to go with a small group, eating either in the main part of the restaurant or in the back room for slightly larger groups.Special Features:
- Auburn OctDMitchVIPDined on 10/13/2014This is my 6th visit to the restaurant since discovering it a few months ago and the food and service are always great!!!
- best restaurant in the Auburn areaedreticDined on 10/11/2014We love the ambiance and the food. Great service as well. Not a place to take the kids our a big group. Perfect for a quiet dinner date or a special ocassion. We've had our last two anniversary dinners here and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- auburn's finestevieforsureDined on 10/6/2014delightful dining. monday eve so nice and quiet, regular place for us, best in Auburn... waitress charming .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IzzurDined on 9/30/2014Cute location in downtown Auburn. I had a filet and it was quite enjoyable.
- Anniversary DinnerLizzygirlDined on 9/27/2014We went to Monkey Cat to celebrate our 17th year anniversary. The server forgot our appetizers and brought our soup and salad immediately. almost an hour went by and we hadn't received the appetizers we ordered nor our entrees. Our server came to our table and apologized for the food taking so long. She said she had broken a plate and they had to make our dishes over again. I asked about our apps and she said she forgot. She was very apologetic and comped us our wine and beer. She over heard it was our anniversary and brought us each a free dessert. The food and dessert were decent but the ambiance is a little weird with track lighting making you feel like you are under a spot light. Not sure I'd visit Monkey Cat again.Special Features:
- Undiscovered GemRJCLikes2EatDined on 9/27/2014Going to attend a concert at the Auburn Events Centers (Maria Muldaur dress rehearsal concert for her national tour beginning in October - a story there as well - what a funky, cool place is the AEC), so I bethought myself to take my lady to dinner. Cruising through the restaurant listings for Auburn and the Monkey Cat had a review which intrigued. I AM A BELIEVER! And we will be back. She had the fish special - swordfish cooked perfectly, and a new drink recommended by Heather, our server (who receives props of her own for attentiveness without being intrusive); I had the duck dish - highly recommended. The chef cooked everything to order and the Monkey Cat will be visited by us again. Truly an undiscovered gem and worth the drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchsmashleyDined on 9/23/2014I recently dined here with a friend for a business meeting. Our server Beth, was wonderful & attentive. The Chinese Chicken Salad we enjoy was delicious, with grilled chicken and a home made Thai Peanut Sauce. We will be using this restaurant often for our business meetings.Special Features:
- One of our favorite restaurants!BaileyVIPDined on 9/20/2014What an awesome dining experience! The food is simply superb, the service is wonderful and the ambiance is terrific. We love going to this restaurant. It's elegant without being stuffy. They also have an outdoor patio that is magical. We can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical ExcellencePopeye44Dined on 9/20/2014Other than a bill mix-up, the experience was near-perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestPopeye44Dined on 9/6/2014One of Auburn's finest; food is always great. Filet and lamb were exceptional.Special Features:
- Delightful Auburn StaplewaltersbDined on 9/6/2014The food and ambiance are consistently good. The service is attentive without being overly so. We split the Spinach salad and shared the Lamb chops and Petrole sole. No room for desserts but maybe next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What makes a great restuarantmonkeycat4dinnerDined on 9/6/2014We have dined at Monkey Cat many times and the key to a great restaurant is consistency. Consistently great food, service, and atmosphere, Monkey Cat has it allSpecial Features:
- MonkeycatreviewduckfootDined on 9/5/2014Split a Rack of Lamb. Very good and split chg good value.Special Features:
- We both enjoyed it5ft19inDined on 9/5/2014I went on a first date with a lovely lady I was introduced to and the restaurant was perfectly suited for such an occasion. My date ordered the salmon and I ordered the filet. My house green salad was excellent with a nice apple cider vinaigrette and my date enjoyed her Caesar salad. That was followed by our entrees, both served atop a lovely bed of vegetables featuring fresh green beans which were delicious. The filet was perfectly cooked to order, the mushroom sauce was very good and my date's salmon could have posed for a photo in a culinary magazine. We had a lovely time aided by a terrific server and the food fit the occasion to a T. A solid 4 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monkey Cat Visit #2DMitchVIPDined on 9/4/2014This was my 2nd visit to this restaurant and both have been great. The food is well prepared and hot and the service is very good. Worth the drive from Folsom for a nice night out.Special Features:
- MferVIPDined on 9/4/2014Salads are a specialty here. The Caesar with perfectly cooked salmon is not to be missed. Spinach salad with cranberries and feta is huge and seasoned just right. The cumin and fennel fish tacos were unique and worth a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catch yourself a Monkey Catdlamy8hereDined on 9/3/2014Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. The waitress was good too but maybe just a little overworked. No bartender and the two waitress' had to make their own drinks which took them away from their tables. While it wasn't at all crowded it took quite a bit of time to order drinks, get bread, and order our appetizer and dinners. Fortunately, we were not in a hurry but it needs to be mentioned. The food and atmosphere were so good I'd go again and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a scheduled event after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gffoodieDined on 9/3/2014Beth is the greatest! Love your food and gluten free accommodations.Special Features:
- Great FishvinofylDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had not dined here in several years because our last experience was rather mediocre. This time was very different. We each ordered fish; sole for my wife and salmon for me. Both were excellent. My salmon had an apricot/toasted almond topping that was out of this world. The sole was also wonderful and each plate included a perfectly prepared vegetable mix. We started by splitting the house salad which was very good. Service was prompt and personable. Prices are very reasonable and we felt that overall it was an excellent value.Special Features:
- Get treated like a kingSteeilDined on 8/29/2014My dad is on a salt restricted diet which makes dining out difficult. They totally catered to his special dietary needs and even made him his own bread. Definitely recommend that was a firstSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burgerDIXIEDEESgeochachesDined on 8/24/2014There grass fed burger was by far one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. Thet we're very accommodating to tweak the menu to our request.Special Features:
- Great servicePrettyGirlDined on 8/24/2014The staff at Monkey Cat was amazing. They hit my reservation notes line for line and took our dinning experiance to the next level. The food was excellant and though we did not save room or time for the deserts, we have already made plans to return for apitizers, then desert. "What a great experiance"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sr.SenioritisDined on 8/22/2014Service great, good very good. Need a better wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb PetraleHarloweDined on 8/22/2014I have ordered it on a number of occasions. Love the different sauces that go with it.Special Features:
- Auburn FavoriteRosanneDined on 8/16/2014This is our go-to restaurant in Auburn and since we live in Auburn, that's frequent. It's nice because it's a short drive, parking's good, and food is always delicious, the quality's consistent and the staff if most friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- ExpensiveDusterDined on 8/16/2014The service and food was good, but the cost was high for four people. We have eaten at many other restaurants that has same type of food and we paid a lot less money.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestauranttimdarDined on 8/11/2014We live near Reno, with many good restaurants. This is one of our favorite restaurants. We spent the night in Auburn just so we could have dinner here. Every time we have been here the service, food and atmosphere have been great. We hope to return soon. A must if you are stopping in Auburn.Special Features:
- Did not live up to expectationsfoodieandwinesnobVIPDined on 8/9/2014We were very encouraged by the reviews of the guests to Monkey Cat. The place is cute and eclectic. However... the food was just TERRIBLE!! I'm really sorry to have to write this review. I'm normally very optimistic when rating restaurants unfortunately this time, the restaurant needs to know. We were recommended the rack of lamb and the "special" of the nigh which was sword fish. Both of them BOMB! big time disasters. The rack of lamb was, let me put it in a honest way, tasteless, not cooked as the check recommended (medium rare, it was medium well!!) not good. The sword fish, my poor wife could only managed to eat half of it, because it really was that bad. I'm sorry to be this negative but, I felt I wasted $90.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We had Salmon and Filet Mignon. Both were excellent. Be advised if you use a groupon for your meal there they only allow 1 groupon per table. If both couples have a groupon you will not be allowed to use both at the same time. Bread they serve before dinner is excellent.Special Features:
- great restaurantAlamedaJeffDined on 8/2/2014definitely try the jalapeno bacon corn chowder it's really good . the breads are amazing and. The ambiance was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Surprise3nightsaweekDined on 8/2/2014Decided to try something new Saturday night. Found Monkey Cat on Open Table. Read the reviews and decided to give it a try. It was a real treat. Ambiance is great, service was perfect and the food was excellent. We will go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014We had a group of eight (including a baby and a toddler) for a family birthday dinner, and they accommodated us very well. From the custom pasta sauce for the toddler to the excellent bread, the food was great. The personal attention was awesome. The waitstaff danced with the kids! Quirky ambiance, in a good way, made it even more memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryS1Dined on 7/29/2014My wife and I enjoyed our dinner at the Monkey Cat. Our server was very attentive and she was very pleasant. Our food was served promptly and was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charming local restaurantPegasusDined on 7/28/2014let's keep this simple, great food, great service, good price... What more can you ask?Special Features:
- Excellent Auburn SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014Excellent food, friendly & knowledgeable service, great ambience all at reasonable prices. We had the seafood pasta and the rack of lamb. Haven't tasted better outside a few San Francisco restaurants. Open Table did mess up the reservation because it only allows for so many reservations. We went 45 minutes later than we wanted because Open Table said it was full but when we got there the place was only 30% occupied. Waitress explained that OT blocks out 90 minutes per table and that wasn't what the restaurant experienced. Oh well....Special Features:
- Great restaurant, great foodgolfergirlDined on 7/19/2014I have been to Monkey Cat before and really enjoyed it. I have to say that I think the food this time was even better than I remember. I had the mixed seafood special and it was delicious. My friend had the pork tenderloin and said that it was equally good. The service was outstanding. The restaurant itself is very inviting and comfortable. Great place!Special Features:
- First Timers2GormetsDined on 7/19/2014Our first visit to Monkey Cat for our 17th anniversary, and it did not disappoint. Very friendly wait staff, extraordinary food, very reasonable price. We made reservations to be on the safe side, but really did not need them. My wife and I had the pork medallions with an incredible sauce and veggies cooked perfectly. There was plenty of food and we actually boxed up some leftovers and took it home. It was especially nice to see art work from local artists on the walls for enjoyment or purchase. Every few months they feature a different artist. The restaurant is located away from the main downtown area where we parked just a few steps from the front door. Be sure to ask how the restaurant was named Monkey Cat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have a hamburger insteadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014I ordered the eggplant parmesan and it was tough and lacked flavor. I did not eat it. My husband had a hamburger which was good. They did comp me my meal. Good PRSpecial Features:
- Must have been busyNicholeVIPDined on 7/16/2014I routinely set up lunches at this restaurant due to fabulous food and drinks and you can have a conversation with out having to talk over other tables.. But this particular time was actually a horrible experience. The food took over 40 minutes to arrive, my sandwich was made incorrectly, the restaurant was loud and the waitress was extremely busy and it was hard to grab her attention. It looked as if they were not prepared for the crowd they received. Short staffed and over crowded.Special Features: