750 W. Fir St.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lovemonello.com/
- Phone: 6195010030x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 2:30pm - closing; Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - closing; Sunday: 5:00pm -closing
APERITIVO-ITALIAN HAPPY HOUR (complimentary bites with drinks) 4 pm to 7 pm all week
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Fabrizio Cavallini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: Kettner
- Public Transit: MTS Transit Trolley Stop Green Line: County Center/Little Italy
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: The Little Italy Association offers valet parking Tuesday through Sunday at the corner of India St. and Fir St. (in front of Influx) for $8.00 beginning at 5:30pm.
Limited street parking is available. Metered parking is free after 6:00pm until 6:00am Monday through Saturday and all day Sunday.
A word from Monello
Bencotto's younger brother is born and who knew Italians could be so naughty? Monello-literally "little devil"-is a term of endearment used for little boys when they're misbehaving. We're intrigued by their naughty nature and positively entertained by it. Monello's offerings embody our Northern Italian heritage with unleashed passion, unafraid and unapologetic with its own playful twists on the most beloved, street-inspired fare of our hometown Milano.Continued
UNABLE TO FIND A TABLE? CHECK OUT OUR BROTHER RESTAURANT BENCOTTO NEXT DOOR - SAME CHEF!
UNABLE TO FIND A TABLE? CHECK OUT OUR BROTHER RESTAURANT BENCOTTO NEXT DOOR - SAME CHEF!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Monello - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Monello reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (56)hot spot (37)special occasion (33)good for groups (26)romantic (23)great for brunch (23)great for outdoor dining (22)vibrant bar scene (20)great for lunch (20)late-night find (14)notable wine list (11)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Amazing service & food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/11/2014We had to change our reservation for a group of 10 girls multiple times due to flight delays and the staff was extremely accomodating and so friendly. We had a great time, thoroughly enjoyed the food. We ordered family style and loved every dish. We also loved the ambiance. Everyone was impressed - thank you Monello!Special Features:
- Monello is outstanding!indocynVIPDined on 9/6/2014I've always had a wonderful meal here. The fresh made pasta is so delicious! I also recommend the raspa dura cheese as an appetizer and to use on your pasta entree. Excellent!Special Features:
- Service supremelittleitalydinerDined on 9/4/2014Hamilton runs a very good restaurant. Service was excellent and Hamilton, the manager, made a trip to our table to check on our satisfaction with both food and service. The pizza is the best and the branzino, light and flavorful. Lovely sitting out on the patio on a glorious San Diego evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OurFaveItalian...que beneOurFaveItalianDined on 9/4/2014We have to drive 40 minutes to get to get to Monello, but we're happy to do it because it's so good. If you're a spaghetti carbonara fan, look no further. Their house-made red vermouth is truly remarkable. The house-made chocolate gelato is the best outside of Verona. And the staff couldn't be nicer and more attentive.Special Features:
- Ear splitting noisesashaBVIPDined on 8/30/2014Yes, it was so loud walking in the door that we almost walked right out. But we did stay. The food was well prepared and tasty and the service pleasant and efficient. It's possible we'd go there again on a week night, but if the noise is just as loud, we'll turn right around. The restaurant trend these days is loud and vibrant - leading to more drinks being bought and more money for the restaurant. When one can't hear across the table, it doesn't matter how good the food is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!CyriousDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I decided to go here for our 22nd anniversary. When we arrived early the staff was more than accommodating. They found us a nice quiet table toward the back of the restaurant. A large group was seated behind us and they were young and very loud! The whole place was very lively on a Saturday night. Despite all that our waiter was at our service all night. We couldn't have asked for a better server. We both ordered from the specials. Hubby got seafood lasagna which was so creamy, cheesy and delicious! Best seafood lasagna ever! I had red snapper in a zesty citrus and fruity glaze...spectacular! I didn't want potatoes so the waiter put in a special order of veggies for me at no extra cost, fantastic!Special Features:
- great brunch spot!betheatsDined on 8/30/2014so many delectable things to choose from! took my mother there for her birthday and she can't stop raving about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysBrianVIPDined on 8/29/2014Still one of my favorite places in San Diego! Consistently great.Special Features:
- BelleFerrariDined on 8/28/2014meal was excellent. The fresh pasta was thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:
- you won't be disappointedmarpozDined on 8/22/2014Even though Monello's big brother restaurant Ben Cotto gets all the hype, don't miss a chance to try Monello. It's slightly more casual but the quality of the food is just as worthy of praise. The energetic atmosphere makes even the most casual diners feel at ease.Special Features:
- Another wonderful meal!CeehVIPDined on 8/22/2014Took my parents here and they adored this restaurant! Every item on the menu is delicious, but we're found that the specials are not to be missed! Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interestingrichbhamDined on 8/19/2014Nice selection of beers and wines, the cocktails looked like they would be great too. Homemade vermouth they let us sample.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place!JayelmVIPDined on 8/15/2014Thank you, Monello, for making another memorable evening. The food (seafood cannelloni) and the service (Megan and Lance) we're phenomenal. This is a premiere restaurant destination in Little Italy lost definately, but it deserves a place in the premiere eateries in Sand Diego!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdinesoutDined on 8/2/2014The service is very attentive and welcoming, but not intrusive. The food is really well flavored and the presentation is beautiful. Hamilton was our waiter and he couldn't have been more professional and yes friendly. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!EnJoyVIPDined on 8/2/2014From to start to finish our meal transformed us back to Italia! We're still dreaming of the grilled octopus starter, the perfectly fired pizza with raspa and spinach, and Monello's 'cacio y pepe' is the best we've had here in the States!Special Features:
- AwesomeJerryVIPDined on 8/2/2014Unique menu with excellent food! Will come back again and again as we have already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mouthwatering!vptwinsDined on 7/22/2014This gem in Little Italy was quite a find! We made a reservation for our party of 10 and finished sight-seeing an hour early. We expected to be told that we would have to wait, but the friendly staff said that it was no problem and we were seated in less than 5 min.the waiter made excellent recommendations and we all enjoyed the food immensely. The wood fired pizza reminded of the pies in Sorrento and Naples...thin, fresh, and delicious. The lasagna special had a fantastic meat sause and soonach layer and I would highly recommend starting with the mini calzones. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!teenVIPDined on 7/18/2014so good, so creative, so satisfying! a treat at every meal!Special Features:
- Great food and ambient.LillocodeDined on 7/17/2014Quality and authentic Italian food. One of the best Restaurant in Little Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my local fav'sdenisesdDined on 7/13/2014We went here Saturday for brunch. Celebrating my son's birthday. Never disappointed! Food and service amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Little Italy ExperienceCeehVIPDined on 7/11/2014This was our first visit, and I think we will be regulars from here on out! Service was excellent and food was extraordinary! Loved the seafood lasagna! Fresh mozzarella was delicious, and our dessert (tiramisu) equally fantastic. Can't wait to return to try another round of dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, nice peoplejr2231Dined on 7/5/2014Only downside to going to this restaurant is finding parking in downtown san diego. The food was great, staff awesome. Can be noisy because of the area but fun people watching through the glass.Special Features:
- ShelleyShelsxlDined on 6/27/2014The food is always excellent! The service is awesome and everyone is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!drummerboyDined on 6/21/2014Try the seafood lasagna or the seafood pizza - they are super yummy.Special Features:
- DelicioussunnySDdiner07VIPDined on 6/21/2014Monello is fabulous! From the fresh fish, homemade pasta, delicious sauces and wonderful service! I completely recommend this restaurant. Great food, great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKMarkVIPDined on 6/15/2014Pizza great but "homemade pasta dishes were uninspired. Pasta was rubbery on both pasta entrees. Nice waitress.
- A MustCitizenRobDined on 6/14/2014Gotta go for weekend brunch, the Bomboloni and Cornetti are even better than we had in Italy. Can't wait to go back for happy hour and try their house made vermouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TropicaleVIPDined on 6/7/2014It took our server over 20 minutes to appear at our table, but bus staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- Fun experienceYoungatheartDined on 6/6/2014This was our first time at Monello's and it was packed. Great vibe and the service and food were very good. Paul was our server and on the spot with everything we needed, and more. Great time and we can't wait to return to try more of their food........Lively and a lot of energy there with a great bar...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!JefeBDined on 5/30/2014This place is really doing things right! Very innovative menu items. My seafood lasagna was flavored with saffron and just plain delicious. Everyone at our table was most impressed with their entrees. We received a complementary taste of their homemade sweet vermouth and a take home biscotti. The service was top notchSpecial Features:
- OurFaveItalianDined on 5/29/2014The pasta dishes were excellent. The carbonara was perhaps the best I've had and I've had it a lot, in fact, I make a pretty good one. The mushroom pizza also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryVIPDined on 5/25/2014As always, outperformed the previous visit; beyond the expected and fantastic service!Special Features:
- The following 126 reviews are from the Monello reviews archive.
- Great ServiceChipDined on 5/18/2014Jen, our server was awesome. She did everything right & the place had wonderful food. True Italian:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo, Monello!BiondaDined on 5/17/2014Loved everything about this restaurant! Made a reservation for a busy Saturday night, and were immediately seated when we arrived. Sat down and our waitress treated us to a complimentary taste of the house-made sweet Vermouth over ice (which is delicious). Split a bunch of appetizers - burrata, calamari, zucchini (highly recommend). Also tried the Monello pizza and the aglio, olio, pepperoncino spaghetti. Although the latter was not authentically prepared, it was actually better than I've had in Italy (and spicier). Waitstaff is highly attentive and friendly. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- ExcellentShelsxlDined on 5/16/2014Excellent food! Just like the food we got in Ialty! Excellent service, everyone is so helpful and friendly! If we lived closer, we would definitely eat here more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousHanselNGretelDined on 5/14/2014We are regulars at Monello and every time we dine here we find something new to love. The specials rotate on a weekly basis offering new amazing options faster than I'm able to try them. I've never had anything I didn't love at this restaurant. It genuinely feels like a European cafe. The chef is great, the ambiance is fun and the wait staff is knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Everything, but..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The only thing that I might want to correct is really very minor, but when I had a Mother's Day's brunch my credit card was placed in a glass container rather than a typical check folder, bottom line my credit card got left behind and I could not pick it up on Monday as you were closed. It is not that it erased all the good food, good service and great atmosphere it is just that I feel that it could have been easily avoided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crown Jewel in Little ItalyJayelmVIPDined on 5/8/2014Monello calls to you; It says, come and eat on my patio, or in my dining room. I find the restaurant friendly and charming. I have eaten here numerous times and each time has been an event. I usually dine alone, as I'm traveling for business, and I've found that the staff is eager to carry on a conversation during their many visits to the table during dinner. The food is unusual in content and in it's quality. I've had octopus and a number of their vegetarian dishes. I've also sampled their pizza: a winner, IMHO. Please look at the more unusual items on the menu. The Neri pasta dish is excellent. It pairs lobster bisque and octopus with a squid ink spaghetti. It was beyond good. Try it.Special Features:
- Milanese style in SDYazminLuv2EatDined on 5/7/2014Monello has been a go-to spot for apertivo time here in SD, introducing their Italian (Milan) take on it here in the states. With every drink for purchase, you receive little enjoyable tastes straight from the kitchen. The service has always been up to par, just the seasoning sometimes is a little off, but the food has been 7 times out of 10 really good. I'll still keep coming here, because the view, drinks, service is great and hoping for the food to meet their potential!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid dining experienceCitizenJonVIPDined on 4/26/2014Good food, good recommendations and specials. Service was excellent, attentive. Good home-made vermouth!Special Features: