Monarch @ Hotel Zaza
5701 Main St.
Houston, TX 77005Neighborhood:
W. University / Med Center
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Monarch @ Hotel Zaza
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hotelzaza.com/#houston/monarch
- Phone: 713-527-1800x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 6:30am - 11:00am;
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Bar: Sunday - Thursday: 10am - 12am, Friday & Saturday: 10am - 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Axline
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For more information on catering please contact 713.639.4500
- Private Party Facilities: For upscale Houston events, chic social dinners and just about any occasion that calls for the ZaZa standard of good taste, our Houston event venues are the ultimate platforms for dazzling affairs. Treat guests to the rich flavors of Monarch, our prestigious onsite restaurant for private dining in Houston your guests will certainly remember. Please call 713.639.4539 to start your planning today!
- Private Party Contact: Monarch Manager 7136394539x
- Entertainment: SIP & SPIN WITH MONARCH EACH FRIDAY & SATURDAY
Sip cocktails while Houston's top local DJ spins house favorites in Monarch Restaurant & Lounge each Friday & Saturday night from 10pm-2am. For inquiries regarding bottle service and the weekly DJ lineup, please call 713.527.1800.
- Special Events: This luxury hotel has also created some of Houston’s most wonderfully unexpected settings for weddings, social events and meetings of all sizes and sorts. From the statement-making Phantom Ballroom, to the truly limitless possibilities available on the Imagination Level, Zaza's highly trained, extremely flexible, challenge-loving staff of experts is ready to transform just about any of their many spaces to meet your own special desires. For more information regarding special events at Hotel ZaZa please contact our Sales & Catering department at 713.639.4500
A word from Monarch @ Hotel Zaza
Like everything at Hotel ZaZa, the dining room and nightlife space are designed to entice your every sense. Hotel Zaza dares you to lose yourself in the intoxicating aromas, layered flavors and unexpected touches of the “see and be scene” Monarch Restaurant & Lounge. So come, play, revel, and experience dining and entertainment in the Houston area that’s a world apart.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Monarch @ Hotel Zaza reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (17)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (14)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (10)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (10)scenic view (9)hot spot (7)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (5)good for groups (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Despite the sparse number of customers, service was spotty and slow. Our "asst. supervisor" introduced himself and helped us, but our actual server never showed. We had to get up and get our waiter's attention several times. Food was good but not exceptional. The fresh squeezed juices were a nice treat. The decor and ambiance however were unique and special.Special Features:
- Excellent!Pair4pairingDined on 9/3/2014This is very very good hotel cuisine. The second night I had room service. I got the special, Pan seared cobia,English pea pudding,crisp polenta,purple kale, king trumpet mushrooms. This was as grand & delicious as any plate I've had at any upscale NYC Resturant! I am so glad I ordered it. I have no reservations about dining here, even though there are so many choices in Houston!Special Features:
- Monthly lunchAggieDined on 9/3/2014Sorry that the chef has changed. The food has gone downhill.
- great timeSomeCallMeRedDined on 8/23/2014Staff was great. I gave details for a romantic scenario. The staff done a perfect job of completing my request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/21/2014Monarch was very trendy, but it was also quite dark in there -- it made it hard to read the menu! We had to wait almost 15 minutes for a server to come take our drink order, but after that, the service was fine. Overall, a trendy spot that would be great for a night on the town with friends!Special Features:
- good special occasion spotwinedocDined on 8/5/2014Had a great dinner, special occasion with some friends of mine. Service was excellent, the muscles appetizer was delicious, and all of the entrees were excelkent too. air conditioned outdoor veranda was very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Success!diningdadDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary here on the same patio we sat 5 years prior on our wedding night. The staff was knowledgeable and helpful. The food was fantastic! They allowed us to split the 20 ounce steak and they served it on two plates instead of having us cut it up. No additional seasoning or sauces were needed with the steak. The wedge salad was one of the best I've had! Fantastic experience! They finished with an incredible dessert sampler with a sparkler to celebrate our anniversary. Top notch!Special Features:
- we got engagedTawnyDined on 7/22/2014Best surprise if my life happen here we got engaged! The staff was in on it and everything! The perfect day with the perfect breakfast with the perfect man! I love the resturant the food was cooked to perfection...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak; OK dessert; OK servicegoodtasteDined on 7/19/2014The tenderloin was cooked to my medium preference perfectly; it was pink throughout without any red juices. The accompanying veggie/butter reduction with asparagus, mushrooms, sweet potato cubes and bacon was really delicious. Tomato basil soup was quite tasty. The Merlot was a good choice. The "I can't decide" dessert, which was a sampling of all four available desserts was nothing special, but then we took it to our room to enjoy later; perhaps it lost something in the interim. The waiter was quite busy and obviously a good waiter who tried to be attentive, but he was covering a lot of tables for a high-end restaurant. The biggest faux pas was that he forgot to ask about our steaks after service. Surprising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great scene, good food.miglorinDined on 7/19/2014The kimchi fries are a must-have. Definitely a little pricy, but you are paying for a phenomenal scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Henry Homayoun AminiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014My guests were happy with food, but mine which was a fish (Market), shared with my wife, was not what I expected. It was dry, w/o any taste. We were very pleased with the service and ambiance. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Monarch @ Hotel ZazaVerdemanDined on 7/6/2014We had a delightful dinner for two at Monarch. Both the service and food were very good. The menu contained a good variety. We would recommend this restaurant for dinner.Special Features:
- Good Experience, butLotsofFun51Dined on 7/4/2014Was Edgy, fun and food was good, just not fantastic. Service staff throughout hotel, waiters, spa personnel, bellman, etc. were courteous but did not make you feel welcome. A fine line between being intrusive and not friendly. Overall, we liked it and probably will go back again sometime.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wiped Out![intrepiddreamerVIPDined on 7/4/2014The complete ZAZA experiece was horrendous! The restaurant? I really cannot judge as though it had rained a bit on this semi outdoor terrace..It was now dry.They really had not straightened it out. The staff seemed wiped out , and unprofessional. The food didn't come for a long time and ruined our time to get to the theater.Special Features:
- BAD SERVICE!! BAD FOOD!!momieDined on 6/13/2014OUR WAITER WAS LESS THAN AVAILABLE AT THIS EMPTY RESTAURANT WHICH WAS HARD TO UNDERSTAND BECAUSE THERE WERE MORE SERVERS THEN DINERS. THE FOOD WAS FLAT OUT NASTY!!!!! UNDER SEASONED CHICKEN OVERCOOKED VEGGIES AND BURNT DINNER ROLLS. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!!!!!Special Features:
- Expensive unorganized Valet ParkingRegular101Dined on 6/13/2014*EXPENSIVE PARKING at Hotel Zsa Zsa. (I have complained before) very bad experience with parking attendants "every time" I have been to Hotel Zsa Zsa. (I have complained before) the parking attendants took 30 mins to bring my car. I remind the parking attendants twice. (I have complained before) the parking attendants are very arrogant. (I have complained before) Hotel Zsa Zsa must improve the parking situation very quickly. (I have complained before) I feel discouraged to comeback another time.Special Features:
- PleasantjosefineperryDined on 6/12/2014We were going to eat off the main menu but sat outside and ordered off the good bar menu instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great, Got Busy and LoudSalmonDined on 6/12/2014Had a fine meal, and would recommend the pork chop. Two good appetizers, mussels and quail. Dress code says business casual, but lots of folks wore shorts. Party scene got loud outside, which is fine, but service became thin throughout the evening. Would recommend, and if stay at the hotel, should definitely make Monarch one of your dining nights.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014The restaurant is mediocre at best. The meal was over 100 bucks, I received some chicken over mashed potatoes. My husband's meal was slightly better but his did cost 50 bucks. The noise level was extremely high causing us to finish our drinks in the hotel room.Special Features:
- Great setting, wonderful terraceGigiDined on 6/4/2014Had a business lunch here during a warm week in Houston's early June. Terrace setting is wonderful; we thought it might be too warm, but its windows are covered, and the air conditioning is strong. View over the grounds of MFAH is lovely. Service was perfect, not too intrusive, always there when needed. Food was nice but bland, everything could have used a little more flavor. I had vegetable pasta, vegetables were great & unusual, pasta perfectly al dente, but limited flavor; I had to add salt & quite a bit of pepper to it. Companion had the chicken breast & found the same. Some additional herbs would be a nice addition. Overall a good value, setting is marvelous & I would definitely happily return again & give Monarch another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VerandaJackVIPDined on 5/31/2014Nice view while dining on the veranda but it seems preferred to heavy drinkers who get VERY loud. We finally had to move inside. People wearing cut off jeans destroys the ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine and DinePoBrownDined on 5/29/2014Great place to wine and dine a date. I look forward to visiting again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spotSMW4VIPDined on 5/27/2014Monarch is more than just a hotel resturant and ZaZa is more than just a hotel. My wife and I live in the Medical Center and this is a must go to resturant for us and one of our regulars.Special Features:
- EllisDined on 5/25/2014The food was borderline inedible and the bill was astounding. While the view is lovely, the only other stand-out impressions about this place are, unfortunately, surprisingly negative.
- The following 465 reviews are from the Monarch @ Hotel Zaza reviews archive.
- London AlexanderLA18Dined on 5/16/2014The food was amazing. The drinks were over priced, but the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor DinningDavidsonDined on 5/3/2014If Houston have nice weather and not too hot, outdoor dinning is perfect. The food is good but not outstanding, but the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Place is Super!!!luv2dinedarlingDined on 4/25/2014I must say that Monarch has the best service hands down. The atmosphere is so romantic with such admirable surroundings, not to mention the waitstaff were absolutely magnificent. Everyone is so attentive including the managers on duty. Last week I surprised the love of my life with a proposal gathering here at Monarch and they made it amazingly awesome. The food was great as well as the mode and the desert. I would definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- noooVIPDined on 4/23/2014Nice place, good food. Just be careful about how much you tip. It appears there is a gratuity added to every tab regardless of group size. We didn't catch that the first time we ate there and tipped on top of it.
- Good but needs a better selectionLbsantosDined on 4/19/2014Food was okay. They need a better selection. Drinks where yummy and service was great! Our waitress went out of her way to satisfy us as we where celebrating our 11 years Aniversary...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MonarchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014I loved the location and the experience. The service was excellent and the food very tasty. Only one thing that needs changing is adding a few more items to the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but niceOperaticDined on 4/11/2014What splendid food and friendly service! We loved our meal at the Monarch. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceLuisDined on 4/8/2014I took my girlfriend to dinner here for her birthday and they knocked it out of the park! So glad we didn't opt for the usual suspects, Eddie V's, III Forks, Sullivan's, etc. Completely original menu choices that you cannot go wrong with. Jonathan Jones has turned the Houston Tex-Mex/ Interior Mexican scene on it's head. The dinner combinations and pairings are not only delicious but also beautifully presented. If he is available I would definitely ask to be served by Ernest, he will literally end your special occasion dinner with fireworks. Only regret is that I have lived in Houston for 5 years and just know discovered this dining gem.Special Features:
- Nice Atmosphere With Good FoodEatBigVIPDined on 4/8/2014Monarch is a very clean-cut, beautiful looking restaurant. There is a huge porch with seating. I stopped by for breakfast and ordered the blue crab benedict. The first piece I cut into was delicious, well-balanced with sauce and toppings. Unfortunately, the second piece was not very good due to an overcooked poached egg. The staff was friendly, cordial, pleasant, attentive, and efficient. Other than the overdone poached egg, my only other concern is the very dark ambiance. Where's the light at 11am on a beautiful spring day? Street parking may be a pain to find. I did not check the price of valet parking for such a short meal time.
- Monarch is a gem of a restaurant,MrEdDined on 4/6/2014Monarch is a gem of a restaurant, excellent food, very attentive staff, wonderful setting in the Museum District.Special Features:
- Brunch on SundaybrentDined on 3/30/2014Jonathan Jones has whipped that restaurant into shape. It's not the same restaurant we visited 2 years ago, Our party was practically licking the food off their plates. Amazing large chicken wings with the waffles, so I'll order a plate of wings with a side of waffles next time!Special Features:
- love to take visitors to thisSam1943Dined on 3/29/2014love to take visitors to this venue. it is strikingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ComebackDiner06Dined on 3/22/2014Although the start was disappointing with an unfriendly hostess, the manager and wait staff were spectacular. The Blue Crab Benedict was excellent and the ambiance was very trendy and perfect for a late breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can't wait to go back!MonicaDined on 3/15/2014we had dinner at the monarch during our one night stay, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. from the lamb barbacoa, to the sticky toffee pudding, everything was simply outstanding! looking forward to going back and trying some new items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Initial service slow. FreeChuckDined on 3/7/2014Initial service slow. Free drinks Asa result. Generally speaking, nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group lunchAggieDined on 3/5/2014Each month, a group of us meet at the Monarch to discuss a book because it is a convenient location. Even though we were seated in a corner, the noise level of the music, the television no one was watching and other diners conversations made our conversation extremely difficult. Every month the quality of service is different, as well as the quality of the food. It is like we are in a different restaurant each month. The servers are not trained well.