Monaghan's on the Hill
2820 Mountain Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94602Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Monaghan's on the Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://monaghans-onthehill.com/
- Phone: 5104822500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 3:00 pm - 12:00 am; Dinner: Thursday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jason Scott
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Monaghan's features a private dining room that includes a private patio.
- Private Party Contact: Mark 8886522193
- Entertainment: Our lounge is equipped with several HD TV's for optimum sports viewing. There is a pool table for a little friendly competition. On Sunday afternoon, our back patio features a variety of musical styles performed by leading local artists. Other music events are planned so check our website frequently for updates.
A word from Monaghan's on the Hill
Located in the Oakland hills in the cozy Woodminster district, we offer a progressive California cuisine in our dining room, and a fun family atmosphere in our sports lounge and private patios. Our menus are designed to please the "foodie's" palate as well as the casual diner looking for a quick bite. We deliver comfort food with style . . . and a smile!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Monaghan's on the Hill - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Monaghan's on the Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)great for outdoor dining (15)vibrant bar scene (12)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (5)romantic (4)late-night find (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Live musicMloakDined on 8/30/2014The live music was excellent! Food was very good. Casual and festive atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood hot spot.WalnutCreekScottDined on 8/24/2014I really like Monaghan's. They have a surprisingly good menu. Live entertainment is fun. The service people are really nice and accommodating. Drinks are well-priced. Parking is a bit of a challenge but worth it. I really like this place.Special Features:
- Still the same(it is a good thing)EATS4BB3VIPDined on 8/20/2014Alejandro is a great server, I never ran out of water, dirty dishes disappeared, and everyone had a smile. As for the food, the salads were both fresh(baby beet&spring greens) with good, but not too much dressing. Had the Pork loin and Talapia, both were good without being over sauced. The area that fell short was the Peanut Cream pie, I LOVE peanut butter and there was not enough in the pie. Lots of folks in the bar and front patio, a good time was had by all.Special Features:
- Good eats and drinksFoodie1Dined on 8/14/2014We have been going to Monaghan's since it opened. The bar scene was always lively but the restaurant had struggles early on maintaining consistent quality in both service and food quality. Happily their menu problems seem to be solved. We have enjoyed several well prepared dinners for four and a couple late night romantic dinners for two. There is music on the patio some nights but we prefer to eat inside and then dance when we are done eating. There is a large "party" room that you can see into from the main dining room but with the doors to it closed we didn't get bothered by any noise in there. The bar is far enough away that even on game nights (most nights) the noise level was fine. Get the fireplace tables for warm seating in winterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Bar offeringmouse1Dined on 8/9/2014I ordered the Pozole (stew or soup) from the Bar Menu. It was Fantastic. Although it was August the weather was cold out on the patio and it hit the spot.Special Features:
- Worse than beforeWinoDinoDined on 7/29/2014My brother and I had not been to Monaghan's for a long time and decided to try it again. The dining room and outdoor patio were busy. We were seated and after a short while our server came to take a drink order. My brother orders vodka and water. Our server is handling many tables, so I am not surprised when drinks take a while. After trying, my brother says "taste this." His drink is actually tequila! The drink is replaced, but without so much as an "I'm sorry." Finally our food arrives and my 'Fish & Chips' are frozen fish sticks heated in an oven, and what is billed as "Seasoned Fries" turns out to be regular fries with parsley flakes sprinkled on. The food is mediocre, prices are low, service is lax. Guess that works for some people.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/18/2014We ate outside on the patio, which was very nice and quiet enough to converse easily. Despite my misgivings, fried pickles were delicious as was the fried calamari, lemon and artichokes and the marinara sauce that came with them. An entree entitled "airline chicken" - despite its anti-auspicious name - was very good. The Caesar salad was worse than disappointing. Service was hit-and-miss.Special Features:
- Fun PlacedreaMilesDined on 7/17/2014We came for dinner before a show at the Woodminster Amphitheater. We were surprised and lucky to find a live band playing on the patio! I ordered an arugula salad for dinner which was OK, and my husband got the Chicken Piccata which was way better than mine! The interior is really cute with exposed beams and bistro lights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImprovingDanCDined on 7/16/2014Monaghan's has gradually been getting better over the last couple of years, in my experience. I think the quality is now good for the price, and they are clearly working to keep up with the Oakland restaurant scene. And the bar has a very nice ambience for neighborhood gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and the BluesWicklowmanDined on 7/12/2014Our party of 4 enjoyed a wonderful Saturday evening at Monaghans. The Aki Kumar Blues Band were what drew us in, but dinner was terrific too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014food was very good had the chicken piccata at the recomendation of the waitress and it was great.other people in our party had prime rib and another had the short ribs and both said they were great. will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was way too noisy!PabloDined on 7/9/2014I love Monaghans on the Hill. However, it was so noisy with kids yelling and older people screaming to be heard. I could not carry on a conversation at our table for four.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night Fun!winlvrDined on 6/21/2014We had so much fun Saturday night out on the patio with the band "The Business" playing music we knew, loved and could dance too. Everyone had a great time. It didn't matter who you came with, when the music started everyone was friends! The service was fantastic as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkBuddDined on 6/15/2014Kind of a simple place, food was good but not much selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014We invited relatives for dinner & they were very impressed!My husband ordered the short ribs & they were great! Two of us had the Paella & the other had Scampi...All were super beautiful & the price is great too!All in all a great dining experience!Special Features:
- InterestingJBGYDined on 5/25/2014Setting is interesting.. Place is definitely more sports like bar that serves food than traditional restaurant. There is a dining room, but it really wasn't set up/used/ready for 7pm Sunday night dinner. Our table was physically unbalanced but they slapped a white table cloth on it anyway. The food was ok, but for the prices, could have been better. Our server sincerely tried, but i think she was more overwhelmed serving the bar and patio to really check on us lone diners in dining room. For neighborhood joint, I may drop in to drink and catch a game, but I definitely wouldn't take guests here for a "nice, sit down" dinner.. maybe for bar grub and drinks.Special Features:
- The following 82 reviews are from the Monaghan's on the Hill reviews archive.
- 2hijasandmaxVIPDined on 5/17/2014Surprising visit. We enjoyed the food and unexpected music. We will be back.Special Features:
- Fine food, atmosphereRapidfirerobDined on 5/11/2014I first ate here when my band, The Allman Step Brothers, played here a month ago. We returned here for Mother's Day. The food is quite good, the wait staff attentive. I hope to play there again so we have another excuse to eat there. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodBeemorVIPDined on 5/11/2014We've been to Monaghan's many times, but this is the first time we've gone with children. We took the family there for Mother's Day dinner. The kids order (nice choices on menu) went in right away while we ordered drinks and appetizers. So they didn't have to wait too long to eat their dinner. What was especially great was the outdoor areas - of which Monaghans has two. One is used fairly regularly for outdoor seating; the other is behind or next to the "party room" in which we were seated. So it was really great that the kids could run around a bit between their meal and ours in a secure environment (with us checking in on them from time to time). This was an great way for all to enjoy their meal. Really good food and service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014The Staff was rude but atmosphere and food were nice. Good drink menu with fun cocktails. Did not feel kid friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great music!PudlyDined on 3/29/2014Dinner for four delicious, other friends joined us for the music and cocktails. Good easy fun rock and dancing!!! Will definitely go again. P.S. Don't pass up the fried pickles...yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Waste of Good Spacegslover60VIPDined on 2/23/2014Sadly, Monaghan's tries too hard and falls short. Baked brie contained barely a dab of brie buried in layers of less than elegant pastry, topped with chopped pistachios and apricot preserves, an overly sweet addition. Ordered the chicken sandwich from the bar menu--bread soggy, interior overfull with tastes that canceled each other out. Couldn't eat even on half of the sandwich. The fries were okay. My friend ate hers and said when she got home she had horrible heartburn. This is too bad. The location's great and they have a patio to which you are invited to bring your well-behaved dog. We'd make good use of it if--they had a wine list worth considering and palatable food. But their cook needs additional training or maybe a new cook.
- Nice, but not what we thoughtMrsAyeDined on 2/13/2014My husband and I went here for an early Valentine's dinner. We shared the Seafood Paella plate, which was small. I guess we thought there would be more variety. The food was good. The dining area was pretty small but cozy. Next time, we'll plan for a more laid back dinner instead of getting dressed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food but it wasFoodRequired1VIPDined on 2/7/2014Loved the food but it was very noisy so not good for visiting with a group. We were in the fireplace area, the other room could have been quieter. Want to come back to try other dishes!Special Features:
- Not on the beaten pathSteveVDined on 1/26/2014We went for the first time on a Sunday night and there was no one in the dining room, only the bar. They had a great firepit inside as well as a good sized patio that would be nice for lunch or in warmer weather. The food was quite good and the server was friendly without being intrusive. We'd definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monaghan's on the Hill - a Gem!DelightDined on 1/25/2014Don't miss Monaghan's on the Hill. It is a hidden Oakland gem! I met friends there for an evening of dinner and music. The overall dining and entertainment experience was more enjoyable than I'd expected. Monaghan's on the Hill was pleasant surprise. It is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointeddiggers1Dined on 12/26/2013Had some appetizers in the bar a month ago, OK for the Bar food, menu looked ok. Dinner in the dining room and very disappointed in the meal; Spinach salad was good, Salmon was OK nothing special. Shrimp Scampi was horrible, pasta over cooked and no flavor in the sauce (none). Stated on menu "Tiger Prawns" in white wine and garlic sauce, real small prawns?. May go back for appetizer but not a meal. Nice bar crowd, friendly. Stay away from the shrimp "prawns".I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to enjoy a meal or drinkQuinnsDined on 12/21/2013Nice easy place to dine. Always good food, good service and periodically active sports bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem in the hillsFyrflieDined on 12/12/2013This place is a hidden gem in the Oakland hills. Very easy to get to. The food was outstanding. The staff was friendly and helpful. Parking can be tricky because of a lack of space. Prices were fair for the quantity and quality of food. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first impressionoaklandeaterVIPDined on 12/6/2013Food was really good for the price (great value) and I love that we can order from bar menu anywhere, and combine it with regular dinner menu. Really cozy vibe, great server/service, and better than any restaurant in Montclair Village, where I live. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spotRandRDined on 12/5/2013Nice find on the east side of the bay. Food was very good, we both enjoyed our meals. Menu value is excellent, most items under $20. with good portions. They also had a very vibrant bar with quite an appetizer or small plate list. This was our first visit, we will be going back. Monaghan's On The Hill appeared to be a local favorite, as the crowd was substantial for a Thursday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseSnoconeDined on 11/23/2013We had a very nice time at Minaghans and the food was very good. The ambiance was warm and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceLadyLaughingDined on 11/23/2013It was nice. Good food. Nice place. Just didn't stand out for me thought... Would I go again? Sure. It's conveniently located.Special Features:
- Dinner, Loose Blues and dancingDaleDined on 11/9/2013Not great, but ok patio for outdoor dining. Mainly went for the band Loose Blues and dancing and had dinner inside by window viewing band. Dancing is on small brick patio right in front of the band. Not a good surface for dancing and too small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soJimFVIPDined on 8/8/2013Expensive for what you get but the food is reasonably good and the portions are large. Service was friendly but inattentive. There was a five member band performing the night we were there. They were just OK. Parking is horrendous. Their parking lot only has about 8 spaces. The rest is street parking and it is sparce. This is our second time there and we would not have gone back if we didn't have a $25 off certificate. They are aiming for a fine dining experience with their pricing but they don't quite make it for the overall experience. We each had an appetizer, a glass of wine, entree and shared a dessert. The price with tip before the $25 discount was $75.Special Features:
- Will go back for the bar n' musicOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2013The food is good and the service was very good. Liked the outdoor patio and they had live music.Special Features:
- Food OK, service lackingBelgoVIPDined on 7/14/2013We picked this restaurant due to its proximity to the Woodminster Amphitheater. We had a 6:30 reservation for an 8 PM show, and, fortunately, arrived 20 minutes early due to light traffic--otherwise we would have been late. Part of the problem was waiting 10 minutes with our menus closed for someone to take our order. The main problem was the long wait between my soup (her salad) and the main course, which didn't come until 7:05. No comment or apology from the server, so I have to assume this was par for the course. Also, I didn't receive a bowl for the empty shells for my paella, which should be pretty standard. The food, while not great, was decent enough. From other reviewers' comments, management must be aware of these service problems.
- A Very Poorly Managed RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/13/2013One of the servers walked up to a table, took the man's glass of wine, downed it, before asking how they were doing. Our own server was cheerful but preferred socializing with the hostess than serving tables. The food could've been worse, and the live band playing on the back deck sounded quite good, but this place fails miserably on its abysmal quality of service. We got up and left before our last course was served (which we had already paid for).
- The music brought me to thispatchesDined on 6/29/2013The music brought me to this restaurant and found the food very good. Even on a buzy hot night the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant outdoor dining and dancingThistleDined on 6/29/2013Several friends and I went to eat and dance on a recent Saturday summer evening. The food was good, our waiter was very accommodating and the live band and dancing was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.