77 Ferry St.
Newark, NJ 07105Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mompoutapas.com/
- Phone: (973) 578-8114
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm,
Thursday - Friday: 3:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alexandre Gomes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Martin Regincos 9735788114
- Entertainment: Live Music - DJ
A word from Mompou Tapas
Since 2005, Mompou Tapas Wine Bar and Lounge has been redefining the restaurant scene in Newark's historic Ironbound District. Great food, fine wine, top entertainment and special events have earned Mompou a growing reputation among discerning diners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mompou Tapas reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (25)vibrant bar scene (23)fit for foodies (21)romantic (16)late-night find (15)good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (12)hot spot (11)special occasion (9)great for lunch (9)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Food was fantastic but the service was awful.rereDined on 11/15/2014Food was great but the service was awful. We waited about 20 mins before we were even greeted and never gave water until we asked. The waiter never checked on us until we flagged him down. Only saving grace was that the food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find!ASKWestfieldDined on 11/15/2014Octopus was perfectly prepared. Chicken Meatballs and sweet potato soup also excellent! Service was friendly and fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sangria!BrabbitDined on 11/8/2014We tried two flavors... Pomagranite and rasberry...bothe really good! Service was fast and courteous!! Food was good, tres leches cake was yummy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Mompou has a great youthful atmosphere, but really would be good for any age. The food was excellent! Everything we ordered was delicious, but I would say the grilled calamari was a standout. I would give this restaurant 5 stars if it were not for the lack service. Often, for more water, a refill on coffee, etc. we had to flag down our server. She seemed to gravitate to the bar area along with other servers for their "coffee clutch". It was a Saturday night, surely the staff should be out checking on the tables, instead they clustered and I had to keep waiving her over. Lastly, charging for each cup of coffee? funny thing was he only filled it half way, I had to ask for the rest. Pathetic.Special Features:
- pmd316VIPDined on 11/7/2014Nothing was very impressive....not a memorable meal.
- Food good, Service was horribleDisappointeddinerDined on 11/4/2014Had one waitress for the whole restaurant. She took our appetizer order, brought it out, and never came back to take our dinner order even though we had told her we were doing tapas and entrees. We had to call her back. And she didn't really know anything about the menu, when we asked questions. And the kicker was, we were a party of 6, and there was an automatic gratuity included. 20%!!! I've never seen 20% on an automatic.
- MichiganFoodieDined on 10/23/2014Just outstanding food in a warm hip setting located in Ironbound neighborhood of Newark. The tapas is particularly wonderful with a small but excellent wine listSpecial Features:
- great food and drinksquerida31Dined on 10/18/2014the sangria was great and so was the food! all in all will def go back!Special Features:
- Great PlaceAndyVIPDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I were venturing into Newark each weekend to try a new Spanish restaurant and we stumbled upon Mompou. Out of all of the places we have visited, this is the best! Tonight was the second time we dined here and we had a watermelon sangria which was scrumptious! My wife had some pomegranate sangria and that was great as well. Additionally, we have tried different tapas plates each time we dined and all of the food was top-quality and very tasty. Additionally, the server was always present and several waiters made sure that our glass was always full and that we were happy with every minute of our dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent overall, Service OKSpeedyshadyDined on 9/12/2014Everything about our experience was amazing, except for the slow service (only one waiter for the section on a Friday night?). I had to flag down a manager to get hold of our waiter, initially. This won't stop us from going back. Excellent food, drinks and ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip to Newark - w/ friendsWholefoodPrincessVIPDined on 9/12/2014I live in NYC and work in Newark, so I'm a snob. Mompou is a restaurant that could stand out in NYC for the quality of the food, but makes me love Newark because of its charm. The cocktails are strong and delicious (I love the caiparinhas); the menu is tapas. If you don't know what to order, you cannot go wrong with the classics: tortilla, the chorizo, and the baccala fritters. If you're more adventurous, try everything! Great for groups or for a quick drink after work. There's live music at dinnertime on some nights, which is great if you want it and noisy if you don't. This restaurant is an easy (safe) walk from Newark Penn station, and easy to drive to -- try it! Extra points for great Portuguese rolls in the bread basket.Special Features:
- Kenny MacOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food was great. My only gripe was in the outdoor seating. The area was adequate, the restaurant allowing its patrons to smoke in the enclosed area was not. Doesn't matter how many fans are going. Smoke and dinner only go together if you're a smoker and still not really.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in NewarkGGBShortHillsVIPDined on 8/15/2014Mompou Tapas is a wonderful addition to the Newark dining scene. The covered patio in the back is a gem, augmented by excellent service and a full bar and great beer list. The Flank Steak Sandwich, Chicken Meatballs, Stuffed Peppers and Grilled Octopus were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was dissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I went there for a surprise birthday dinner and I felt that the service I received was poor. I was rushed and was not given the full information that was needed. Prior to the dinner, I was never told that after a certain amount of time, the area I reserved would be $300. I was told that there was a late night menu only to find out that it was useless because it closed when the kitchen closed. The food was not that great too. The sangria was yummy but that was all. I will not be going back again
- Food was greatwaynebDined on 8/8/2014Food was very tasty. Great selection and very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodScottDined on 8/8/2014The food here is amazing, great variety and well prepared. The servers were warm and friendly and very attentive.Special Features:
- Great TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Great tapas. Great mojitos. Nice atmosphere. Only downside was music was too loud, forcing us to talk louder than usual, but not a drawback that would prevent me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 96 reviews are from the Mompou Tapas reviews archive.
- NYC food at a jersey priceUndercoverFoodieDined on 7/29/2014Recently went there for my girlfriends birthday, and it was everything I expected and more. Great patio, good wine prices and food was superb. Super friendly waiter and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spotAddasVIPDined on 7/25/2014The decor and atmosphere makes this a very cool spot for dinner. We sat outside in the back patio. Meat and cheese plate was awesome, but the other tapas items were just good. Sangria was all sugar and not much of a punch.Special Features:
- Nice TapasChrisDined on 7/17/2014Just returned from Spain and the wife had a hankerin' for tapas. We chose 4 tapas and loved them all. The sangria was OK. The service average. The hostess needs to put on a smile-this is supposed to be a fun place! We ate at 7 and the bar was crowded and loud. Call ahead and see if you can reserve a table outside in the back.Special Features:
- DebbieButdebistroDined on 7/14/2014Not your typical tapas. Everything on the menu is unique. The stuffed peppers were wonderful. But the coconut flan is enough to make me want to return over and over again!Special Features:
- Great tapas!StephanieDined on 7/11/2014Food was excellent, but waitress wasn't very attentive - place wasn't too busy but she seemed distracted. Nonetheless a good experience.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back.RobertDined on 7/8/2014If you want to have great, clean, and flavorful food, this is a great place. Couple it with half price bottles of wine on Tuesday and we can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we keep coming back!MariaMDined on 6/20/2014We keep.coming back! Love this place for it's cool bar, good food and proximity to NJPAC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/20/2014Food and drinks were awesome!!! Looovveee this place! Noise level high but this is normally not the case...people were celebrating joyously in the streets after a world cup game win and the joy was infectious!!! Will come here again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Choice for an Evening OutIronboundAdvocateDined on 6/14/2014We had dinner here on Saturday night during the World Cup. Although the television was on it was perfectly easy to have a quiet discussion. The service was exactly what I always hope for. The waitstaff was always there when we needed them without being intrusive. The food was excellent especially the potato dish. My dinner companion who has a much more sophisticated palate than I do was exceptionally pleased with the food.Special Features:
- GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Really great food and great place to hang out. Very friendlySpecial Features:
- Just a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Its a real nice place the food is always good, great service. I'm a frequent patrone here. If you haven't attended one of their monthly wine tasting you should.Special Features:
- Quite & CozyLove2DineOutDined on 5/24/2014The restaurant is very nice, however it's it on the small side. The food was delicious but the dinner portions are very small. Order and appetizer or try the tapas. There isn't any real music, the guy over in the corner playing/singing is a nice touch. It's not loud nor disturbing. The have outdoor sitting, while we didn't sit outdoor, it did appear to be very nice as well . The service was good. I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafoodTR00Dined on 5/11/2014The calamari was fresh and delectable, though I think the service was slightly slowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for pre-PAC dinnerSMB51Dined on 5/9/2014This is a really fun place with great food and attentive service. The menu is tapas style and dishes come served on a triple-decker platter. Great for sharing. If you like trying new things, this place is a winner. Spanish dishes I never heard of but all were tasty and nicely presented. Interesting cocktail menu and good wine list. But if all you ever eat is hamburgers, you might not enjoy this place. Service was terrific. Where else is the waiter standing off to the side watching, waiting for you to be ready? I looked up from the menu, nodded to him and he came over to take our order. At one point my wife dropped her knife. A busboy appeared instantly with a clean knife and the dirty one was whisked away. I was impressed.Special Features:
- Best tapas - everfoodie55Dined on 5/3/2014Was there on Saturday night. A great find in the Ironbound! Seriously the tapas were the best I have ever had in the U.S. Instead of the traditional picks - we let our waiter choose for us...and yummy....grilled octopus, chile rellenos and chicken & shrimp meatballs with mushrooms. All washed down with traditional red sangria. A great night.. Was a little loud...so if you are looking for a romantic spot maybe go on a quiet night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before NJPACdinewithfriendsDined on 3/22/2014Mompou has great atmosphere, delicious and healthy food, and tapas portions that were filling for 3 people. The sauces were so great, perfect for dipping the leftover bread. We were served within the hour we had before leaving for a show at NJPAC. The drawback like many restaurants in Ironbound is parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TRADE-OFFS FOR GOOD FOODGizelleDined on 3/14/2014Pros: Delicious Food Cons: Limited Menu Options, Cocktails, Price, Parking The food at Mompou was delicious but the limited menu left much to be desired. There isn't really anything on the menu for vegetarians, and most shrimp and scallop tapas choices were wrapped in bacon or paired with chicken. I chose the salmon entree with asparagus and potatoes, which was amazing!!!! The cocktails weren't good and I should have stuck with wine. The price of the food, for the Ironbound section of Newark, was pretty high depending on your trade off for price vs. delicious food. It's known that the parking in this section on Newark is bad, and i suppose it cannot be helped, so plan to drive around for 30 minutes looking for a spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, ambiance and theGTMSDined on 3/8/2014Great food, ambiance and the wine selection was very nice, too. Good place for a night out with friends and even enjoy a fun conversation with wine and tapas. Price is decent. One of the best place in the Ironbound of Newark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ironbound boundPatickDined on 3/1/2014We wanted a nice low-key spot to have a few drinks at. So far the Ironbound district has not let me down. The setting was nice, and the food was good.Special Features:
- This is a place to drink.WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 2/25/2014This is a place to drink. Limited selections of food though they taste good.
- Valentine's CelebrationrescuedpetsDined on 2/15/2014Four of us travelled from De. for a show at NJPAC and decided on Mompou for dinner. All of the reviews we read were a deciding factor for our choice in dining. The atmosphere, service and food were exemplary. If we lived closer we would dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!Yani15Dined on 2/14/2014Great comfy place for a nice date or a group event! Loved the Tapas! It was beyond delicious. I will definitely come back here again :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsMrOBDined on 1/31/2014They held my reservation on time, sat me immediately, were attentive, & food was great. A very vibrant scene when I left at 9:30pm on a Friday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.