1522 12th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.momijiseattle.com/
- Phone: 2064574068
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Chris Vilayphanh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate from 10 people up to 50 people. We have a private back dining area that can hold up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Vira 2064574068
A word from Momiji Restaurant
Momiji is a hand-crafted Japanese restaurant located in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood. Our menu features sushi, omakase and other traditional Japanese foods prepared from great Northwest ingredients. Our courtyard will be an oasis in the bustling neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Momiji Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Momiji Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (41)special occasion (37)romantic (36)good for groups (29)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (12)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good, not great.ClaireDined on 8/14/2014Good food - enjoyed the california crunch and the 007. The waiter wasn't the friendliest, seemed annoyed to be there, but it was fine. Free edamame was nice, considering most places you have to pay for it. Biggest issue I have with this place is they don't offer brown rice. My friend and I stayed and talked for a good 20 minutes after we paid the bill, and weren't rushed out, which was appreciated.Special Features:
- Good sushi, great ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014My husband, 2 year old son, and I celebrated here recently and the staff was very accommodating to our 2 year old even though it was clearly not a kid restaurant. The sushi was very fresh and there was a myriad of choices for specialty rolls. The gyoza seemed a bit charred and the rolls were a bit loose, but overall it was tasty. The venue is really beautiful and I would give it another try. They give you free edamame as an amuse as well!Special Features:
- Great SushiWineanddinemeDined on 8/8/2014Love the sushi here. Best king crab soup I've had in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Catch-Up Friend DateSushifordaysDined on 8/4/2014Chose Momiji because I hadn't been there in a while and both my friend and I wanted sushi. Made a reservation and we were seated right away. The food was great -- beet salad came out in a timely manner (though the server mentioned that it usually takes some extra time) and the miso soup was great. Sushi (rolls, sashimi, and sushi) were all fantastic and fresh... and the rolls were great, different combinations. Will be back!Special Features:
- Very Fresh sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014The food was excellent at Momiji and we will definitely return. Very creative rolls and the service was prompt.
- Amazing!smallbearDined on 8/1/2014We booked a last-minute reservation for our anniversary. Not only did they get us a great table, but the food was incredible (honestly the best sushi I have ever had,) and they surprised us with a happy anniversary dessert at the end! Momiji is a gem of a restaurant and I can't wait to go back there.Special Features:
- Fabulous Sushi and SashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014The salmon was thick cut and to die for. Fun d different rolls; bacon wrapped quail eggs - just yumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High & Low PointslynnyDined on 7/21/2014There was an extensive menu and it all sounded great on paper. We ordered 3 rolls:Pine St Roll (a special), Casino Royale, and the Cruncy Seattle. The latter 2 were really bland and very disappointing. The waiter wasn't very friendly or attentive. Unique drinks and very tasty, but overpriced based on size, alcohol content, and too much ice. Really nice ambience-looks like a plain warehouse on the outside and just a small bar when approaching, but it's quite large with a small outdoor area and garden. May give it a second chance, but there are better sushi places in Seattle.Special Features:
- Excellent foodAdesttlVIPDined on 7/18/2014The food and presentation was excellent. The inside area is really beautifulSpecial Features:
- Best place on Cap Hillfromkula2daworldDined on 7/14/2014We found Momiji by accident, just happened to find parking in front when going to the juice place across the street, and are we glad we did. There was so much space behind the front room, I was amazed at what a pretty space it is back there. We enjoyed multiple courses, and loved our rolls, the short rib, and spicy king crab apps. Our drinks were super tasty, one from the shochu menu, and one tequila and pepper cocktail that had a nice kick. Our server, Hans, was attentive, quick, and witty, and we couldn't have enjoyed our experience more. A must if you're in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousDEBfromSTCDined on 7/6/2014Best sushi we've ever eaten! Wish you had a location in Chicago!Special Features:
- Great FoodLuv2EatDined on 7/5/2014Lots of options - especially the variety of sushi roll types (an unusually high number of which are on the spicy side). Lovely ambience - all tables have a view of an inner courtyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Japanese restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Food was great, service was excellent, indoor view of enclosed Japanese garden coolest part of the restaurant.Special Features:
- First visitWhattoEATDined on 6/25/2014Was my first visit to this restaurant , I like their rolls . The short ribs were disappointing though , the meat was tough n over cooked but overall the service n food were acceptable . Will visit again .Special Features:
- Momijii Quite WonderfuljuliegDined on 6/21/2014This is a wonderful restaurant....the only problem is that it is too noisy. I am sure that is a common complaint these days with Baby Boomers, but it was necessary to really work at one's lip-reading skills. One table close by was just unremittlingly loud, loud, loud. The service was excellent, the food was delicious, and we will return in spite of the noise.Special Features:
- lovethefoodDined on 6/16/2014We love the food at your restaurant as well as how pleasant and cordial the staff is. We really appreciate how nice and willing your staff is to always make accommodations and great food recommendations. Everything on your menu is delectable and inviting. The portions are generous and always beautifully presented especially the sushi rolls, e.g. street fighter hotties we love the shrimp and vegetable tempura and the short ribs are fantastic!Special Features:
- Consistently great sushiMamnoonFanDined on 6/6/2014Momiji has beautiful, creative rolls, and the quality of the fish is fantastic. We were lucky to be there when they had some white king, and the sashimi was great. The cocktails are solid, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!JaDeGirL01Dined on 6/5/2014First of all, the restaurant is deceivingly larger than it appears. There's a back room, plus a zen garden that separates the two dining areas. My friend ordered a few nigiri and a spider roll. After that she went with the salmon tasting. I wanted the omakase ($35, $50, etc) but they had a special one called Ozen that was $45 that came with some small dishes in addition to sashimi. It was a lovely bento meal and I loved it all. We were both really happy with our meals and she vowed to return with her mom in the near future. The service was great and the ambiance was a little on the loud side since it was busy. It's a good thing we made reservations! Parking is on the street so you may need to plan accordingly.Special Features:
- Fresh pretty and delishGemini2Dined on 5/31/2014The rolls were cut nice and thin and looked gorgeous on the plate. The fresh sheet gave details on origin of the fish and method of harvest. The space is well decorated with an open air section in the middle. Tastefully done, with wood and paper as a key.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushi is NOT goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014I eat sushi a lot. All show, no substance. The sushi is not even mediocre. I can't believe how overpriced this low quality sushi is. The sell is "fancy rolls" for a ridiculous price.
- Good Food but bring your ear plugsSkyPadCriticVIPDined on 5/16/2014I love restaurants that are alive with lively, fun and energetic conversation. But, when it gets to the point of needing to yell at your dinner companion across the table, just to be heard, it's not fun. I'm not too sure what to recommend here. The materials used in the restaurant are well put together, and give the place a cutting edge appearance that looks great. They also do an excellent job of reflecting noise. Perhaps a more strategic placement of large groups could help the situation. My next trip back will only be on the condition of a quieter table.Special Features:
- Capital Hill GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2014This restaurant was awesome! Had a business partner that was coming in town and I was looking for a restaurant in the Capital Hill area with great food but not quite looking for a bar like restaurant. This was my first time and I would recommend it to anyone. The food was exceptional and the service was fast, and friendly. You can't go wrong with this place and if you're looking for somewhere different in Seattle either to go if you live here or to take visitors then you'll be happy either way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/26/2014The food is great here and one of the best values on the hill!! Very cool atmosphere too.
- The following 254 reviews are from the Momiji Restaurant reviews archive.
- Hands down amazing!SeattleAshDined on 4/12/2014We went because I had heard this restaurant was amazing... And it really really was! We could not believe the quality of the food, the location is perfect and we cannot wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceBrettVIPDined on 4/10/2014We love this place. Great food and beverage selection. Always great service with a smile. We keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Sushi and Japanese food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/1/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner including a variety of sushi, calamari, sashimi and agedashi tofu. Service is attentive and exceptional !!! This is one of our favorite restaurants. The only negative is that parking is tough to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi on Capitol HillJsinDined on 3/29/2014Always a first class treatment whenever I dine here. The wait staff is very friendly, knowledgable and professional. Food is by far one of the best not only on Capitol Hill but maybe even Washington!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!WaverlyDined on 3/29/2014My niece talked me into trying Momiji--she was looking for a good Japanese restaurant. We were surprised by how crowded it was at 5 pm on a Saturday but not after we had some food! Everything we tried was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My expectations were too high..BrianVIPDined on 3/28/2014Recently went here on a date. Moved to Seattle from DC about 2 months ago and since then, so many people have ranted and raved about this place. While some of the sushi was really good, the service was not even close to what I would have expected given all of the rave reviews (and the high prices).. our server barely paid any attention to us and even forgot about our last order of sushi. I was disappointed, to say the least. I'm going to give it one more try - hoping this experience was an anomaly.Special Features:
- Wonderful SushiKemperDined on 3/16/2014High quality sushi put together in new and unique ways. An excellent mid- to high-priced sushi option. Wonderful happy hour selections too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedrhe323Dined on 3/15/2014The jalapeno hamachi, salmon nigiri, & tempura ice cream were very good. The tuna was good but seemed slightly on the fishier side. My Bird of Paradise roll was decent. I ordered one of the specials, the albacore belly, but what was brought out was not albacore belly. It was later confirmed on our bill where it said "shiro maguro sushi", which is white tuna. The Four Kings roll that my boyfriend ordered was the tiniest specialty roll I have ever seen in my life. I'm usually pretty easygoing in restaurants, but I was offended at the size of the roll. Even more so when I found out it was a TWENTY-FIVE DOLLAR roll. I wanted to complain, but my boyfriend didn't think it was worth the trouble. I was very displeased though.Special Features:
- Was seated AGAIN at the tableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Was seated AGAIN at the table I like the LEAST, but otherwise, eveything was great. Thanks!
- Best Birthday DinnerCmurdaDined on 3/4/2014My boyfriend, a few of his friends and I recently went to Momiji to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. We were all very happy with how accommodating they were for our group (of 6) and the dinner was delicious, the servers were friendly, and the atmosphere was fantastic. I have since looked up their happy hour menu online and will be making this a regular spot to pop into during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VonSealthJDJDDined on 3/4/2014Momiji is always packed it seems these days. But we love it anyway. Food is always fresh and the every item I have tried is exciting and new. I shopped there when the building was a plumbing store and it tickles me endlessly that it was replaced with such a fun local restaurant.Special Features:
- I don't recommend this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2014I don't recommend this restaurant. Tempura was greasy. Ribs were greasy. Sushi was fine.
- A little disappointed last Friday..KenjiDined on 2/21/2014Huge fan of momiji and umi Food quality was down from normal: the slices were unusually thin, and the rolls were all not rolled tightly enough. While normally I have no trouble eating the Rockstar, this time all of the hotate fell out of each piece and we had to go back to pick up the small pieces. It was this way for every roll we got that night. The waitress was nice but never got around to us, and my water glass was pretty empty until she went to get our check, by which time we were ready to leave. We were also never served the grilled enoki kinoko special we ordered. While all of this is completely understandable for a busy night, when we were there the restaurant was nowhere near capacity and the fullness that it usually is at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstandingRickNDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I were visiting Seattle and took the opportunity to take our niece who is a student at UW out for dinner. I searched for Japanese restaurants and found Momiji. The food was amazing the night we went. Since it was early we were able to order some of the items on the happy hour menu as well as the regular menu. We had the street fighter roll, spicy tuna roll, agadshi tofu, shrimp tempura, calamari, haibut cheeks and garlic short ribs as well as some sushi. Everything had so much flavor and the presentation of the rolls is great. I wanted to order more, but we couldn't eat anymore. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was recommendedSeattleVisitorDined on 2/13/2014The restaurant was recommended to us by a local. Extensive menu, fantastic food, attentive staff. Check out the spicy special rolls and the fantastic gyoza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its become a staple for sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014Every time I have a guest in town I take them to Momiji for great sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiEliasVIPDined on 1/31/2014If you love sushi, you will love Momiji. Fresh, tasty and original. You can get plain rolls or have the house specialties. It just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.