1522 12th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.momijiseattle.com/
- Phone: (206) 457-4068
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Chris Vilayphanh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate from 10 people up to 50 people. We have a private back dining area that can hold up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Vira 2064574068
A word from Momiji Restaurant
Momiji is a hand-crafted Japanese restaurant located in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood. Our menu features sushi, omakase and other traditional Japanese foods prepared from great Northwest ingredients. Our courtyard will be an oasis in the bustling neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Momiji Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (34)hot spot (32)romantic (28)good for groups (26)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good Food but bring your ear plugsSkyPadCriticVIPDined on 5/16/2014I love restaurants that are alive with lively, fun and energetic conversation. But, when it gets to the point of needing to yell at your dinner companion across the table, just to be heard, it's not fun. I'm not too sure what to recommend here. The materials used in the restaurant are well put together, and give the place a cutting edge appearance that looks great. They also do an excellent job of reflecting noise. Perhaps a more strategic placement of large groups could help the situation. My next trip back will only be on the condition of a quieter table.Special Features:
- Capital Hill GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2014This restaurant was awesome! Had a business partner that was coming in town and I was looking for a restaurant in the Capital Hill area with great food but not quite looking for a bar like restaurant. This was my first time and I would recommend it to anyone. The food was exceptional and the service was fast, and friendly. You can't go wrong with this place and if you're looking for somewhere different in Seattle either to go if you live here or to take visitors then you'll be happy either way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/26/2014The food is great here and one of the best values on the hill!! Very cool atmosphere too.
- Hands down amazing!SeattleAshDined on 4/12/2014We went because I had heard this restaurant was amazing... And it really really was! We could not believe the quality of the food, the location is perfect and we cannot wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceBrettVIPDined on 4/10/2014We love this place. Great food and beverage selection. Always great service with a smile. We keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Sushi and Japanese food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/1/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner including a variety of sushi, calamari, sashimi and agedashi tofu. Service is attentive and exceptional !!! This is one of our favorite restaurants. The only negative is that parking is tough to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi on Capitol HillJsinDined on 3/29/2014Always a first class treatment whenever I dine here. The wait staff is very friendly, knowledgable and professional. Food is by far one of the best not only on Capitol Hill but maybe even Washington!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!WaverlyDined on 3/29/2014My niece talked me into trying Momiji--she was looking for a good Japanese restaurant. We were surprised by how crowded it was at 5 pm on a Saturday but not after we had some food! Everything we tried was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My expectations were too high..BrianVIPDined on 3/28/2014Recently went here on a date. Moved to Seattle from DC about 2 months ago and since then, so many people have ranted and raved about this place. While some of the sushi was really good, the service was not even close to what I would have expected given all of the rave reviews (and the high prices).. our server barely paid any attention to us and even forgot about our last order of sushi. I was disappointed, to say the least. I'm going to give it one more try - hoping this experience was an anomaly.Special Features:
- Wonderful SushiKemperDined on 3/16/2014High quality sushi put together in new and unique ways. An excellent mid- to high-priced sushi option. Wonderful happy hour selections too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedrhe323VIPDined on 3/15/2014The jalapeno hamachi, salmon nigiri, & tempura ice cream were very good. The tuna was good but seemed slightly on the fishier side. My Bird of Paradise roll was decent. I ordered one of the specials, the albacore belly, but what was brought out was not albacore belly. It was later confirmed on our bill where it said "shiro maguro sushi", which is white tuna. The Four Kings roll that my boyfriend ordered was the tiniest specialty roll I have ever seen in my life. I'm usually pretty easygoing in restaurants, but I was offended at the size of the roll. Even more so when I found out it was a TWENTY-FIVE DOLLAR roll. I wanted to complain, but my boyfriend didn't think it was worth the trouble. I was very displeased though.Special Features:
- Was seated AGAIN at the tableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Was seated AGAIN at the table I like the LEAST, but otherwise, eveything was great. Thanks!
- Best Birthday DinnerCmurdaDined on 3/4/2014My boyfriend, a few of his friends and I recently went to Momiji to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. We were all very happy with how accommodating they were for our group (of 6) and the dinner was delicious, the servers were friendly, and the atmosphere was fantastic. I have since looked up their happy hour menu online and will be making this a regular spot to pop into during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VonSealthJDJDDined on 3/4/2014Momiji is always packed it seems these days. But we love it anyway. Food is always fresh and the every item I have tried is exciting and new. I shopped there when the building was a plumbing store and it tickles me endlessly that it was replaced with such a fun local restaurant.Special Features:
- I don't recommend this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2014I don't recommend this restaurant. Tempura was greasy. Ribs were greasy. Sushi was fine.
- A little disappointed last Friday..KenjiDined on 2/21/2014Huge fan of momiji and umi Food quality was down from normal: the slices were unusually thin, and the rolls were all not rolled tightly enough. While normally I have no trouble eating the Rockstar, this time all of the hotate fell out of each piece and we had to go back to pick up the small pieces. It was this way for every roll we got that night. The waitress was nice but never got around to us, and my water glass was pretty empty until she went to get our check, by which time we were ready to leave. We were also never served the grilled enoki kinoko special we ordered. While all of this is completely understandable for a busy night, when we were there the restaurant was nowhere near capacity and the fullness that it usually is at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstandingRickNDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I were visiting Seattle and took the opportunity to take our niece who is a student at UW out for dinner. I searched for Japanese restaurants and found Momiji. The food was amazing the night we went. Since it was early we were able to order some of the items on the happy hour menu as well as the regular menu. We had the street fighter roll, spicy tuna roll, agadshi tofu, shrimp tempura, calamari, haibut cheeks and garlic short ribs as well as some sushi. Everything had so much flavor and the presentation of the rolls is great. I wanted to order more, but we couldn't eat anymore. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was recommendedSeattleVisitorDined on 2/13/2014The restaurant was recommended to us by a local. Extensive menu, fantastic food, attentive staff. Check out the spicy special rolls and the fantastic gyoza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its become a staple for sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014Every time I have a guest in town I take them to Momiji for great sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiEliasVIPDined on 1/31/2014If you love sushi, you will love Momiji. Fresh, tasty and original. You can get plain rolls or have the house specialties. It just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best SushiViriDined on 1/29/2014I was here once and came back with a friend that loved it. We are likely to recommend the food, drinks and service. Thank you.Special Features:
- DON'T get the special rollsSaoirseVIPDined on 1/24/2014The restaurant had a really big back section and was very casual. Not having been here before, we asked the waiter for a recommendation of the 'special' rolls, as they looked complicated, telling him I didn't want tempura. He recommended something with crab and shrimp and mango. We had not done our research, so blame us if you like, but we expected the rolls with the 'special' toppings to be regular sushi rolls, with a light sprinkle of the other ingredients. When it arrived it honestly looked like someone had mixed a bucket up with as many different ingredients as they could, slopped it all together and dumped it on tempura(!) rolls. Not good. At all. Not the light Japanese fare I was expecting. Won't be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiOmeedDined on 1/5/2014Really great and inventive rolls alongside the traditional. The seasonal menu almost always provides something exciting to try. I've already been here twice before this visit and plan to go again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!OncDocVIPDined on 12/31/2013I might be inclined to try again, but we had a very disappointing dinner there on New Year's Eve. I'd chalk it up to the busy holiday, but it was pretty empty at the time we were there (10 PM). The biggest issue was the service: our server was pretty timid but most notable for being very inattentive. We ordered an initial collection of small dishes and then the sushi just 5 minutes later, but after waiting 30 minutes after the first wave of food arrived, which was good except for one miss, we asked about the sushi and were told that the order had been missed or lost. Even if the kitchen overlooks an order, you'd think a server would follow up after 20 minutes to check with the kitchen or us.Special Features:
- Back to Momiji!BudandSamDined on 12/30/2013Returned to Momiji as part of our annual visit to Seattle and was not disappointed. Everything was great. The menu of specialty rolls is enormous and there is the temptation to order too many -beware because they are quite large! The use of fresh vegetable toppings on a couple of the rolls was unique. Only other caution is the out front signage is limited. We walked right past the place a couple of times on our first visit. But it's well worth finding!Special Features:
- Excellent varietyColleenDined on 12/26/2013Have been here a number of times and love it! It's one of my favorite places in Seattle. The variety and quality of the sushi is outstanding. My favorite is the Rockstar on soy paper. The service is very good. Always reliable for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it to search for parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013Our Japanese friend says that Momiji is really good, which confirms our opinion. The ambience is a nice blend of trendy and Japanese (the interior garden). Don't miss trying the sesame tofu!Special Features:
- Best sushi I have hadCapHillPatronDined on 12/18/2013I was never much into sushi until I ate here. I love the food and have always had good service. It's a great date place and is beautiful inside. Definitely recommend it. I was late for my reservation and the staff was very nice about the situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience!EnthusiastDined on 12/17/2013We had an excellent experience in Momiji. The food was fantastic, as was the service, and I would say it was the best Japanese meal I've had in Seattle. Nicely done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud birthday partyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013I love Momiji but there was a birthday party happening and it made the experience awful, they were loud, singing and rude I thought everyone including staff seemed very irritated, next time I will ask if there is a party going before I sit down. But I will go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and plenty to choose fromOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/7/2013I was recommended this restaurant from a friend of mine and was pleasantly surprised with the diverse and large menu selection. They had many unique rolls and dinner specials. I would highly recommend the tropical roll and if it's on the special menu, the Momiji Saute (King Salmon with a variety of mushrooms and asparagus, cooked in garlic oil). The dessert was just eh, but you really don't go to a sushi restaurant for the dessert anyway. I will definietly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Momiji no washokuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/5/2013Having lived in Japan for many years, Japanese food is comfort food to me. The first time I went there, I sat at the sushi bar for happy hour. The portions are huge and the food is utterly fresh and delectable. Last night I had taken my friends, Japanophiles, to Momiji. They were thrilled. Even though it was not on the menu, they made Ochatsuke for us - now there is a great service touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/30/2013The food here was excellent. They have a modern fusion twist that really works. I suggest items off their daily special list.Special Features:
- great experiencesushiloverDined on 11/29/2013We made it to Momji just in time for the happy hour menu so much bang for the buck and the sushi was good, generous portions and fresh my only complaint was that the woman at the front desk was a tad snarky Our server however was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing SurprisegregoryhughDined on 11/26/2013Used Open Table with great success (again) and came back to Momiji after a long-ish absence and had a most delicious meal. A little more expensive than the basic..but more than good value for quality..and GREAT care and service at the table (am older so 'back room' was too mach backgound noise 'for me'. THANKS for a sweet evening..Momiji. GregorySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very disappointing,MCWolfeDined on 11/15/2013Food was very disappointing, with the exception of the Halibut cheeks appetizer. The rolls were ok to not good at all. Would not go back.
- Gorgeous, delicious, but slowBebopDined on 11/13/2013I love this restaurant . It is gorgeous, exquisite even. The food is superb. However, I've been there 4 or 5 times, and every time the service is mediocre. The staff are pleasant, but rushed. And they are not particularly knowledgeable about the food and drink items on the menu. Each time my impression has been that the restaurant is badly understaffed. It is hard to get the attention of the wait staff. And then it takes way too long to get what you've requested. The food originally ordered comes out in a reasonable amount of time, but additional items ordered are problematic. During our meal we ordered rice, which never came. A beer I ordered partway through the meal arrived after we were through, right before the check came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent veggie sushiOliveSeattleDined on 11/13/2013As a vegan I love coming here because they have such beautiful, wonderful luscious veggie sushi. The place is beautifully designed. Always seem to get the same friendly server with the great haircut. Only complaint is that it is very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service and food!hks00Dined on 11/10/2013Got a great table in the bar. Had almost everything on the happy hour menu and a lot from the regular menu as well. Our waiter couldn't have been better. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Front of House, Decent FoodMsonDined on 11/9/2013The front of house is pretty bad. Rude at times and not very helpful. But once inside and seated, the service and food is good. It is more noisy though than expected.