871 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.molyvos.com/
- Phone: 2125827500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday-Friday 5:30 pm -11:00pm and Saturday-Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Greek
- Executive Chef: Carlos Carreto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full off site catering menu available, please see our website for details.
- Private Party Facilities: As John Livanos describes, a Greek meal is best enjoyed in the company of family and friends. So, let your next gathering be a celebration of life here at Molyvos! Whether business or pleasure, sit-down or family-style, treat your guests to a banquet of Chef Carlos Carretos' exquisite Greek creations.
- Private Party Contact: Kamal Kouiri/ Dimitri Catechis; firstname.lastname@example.org 212 582 7500x
- Special Events: Molyvos is available for a complete restaurant buyout. Please contact Kamal Kouri for details at email@example.com.
A word from Molyvos
A Livanos' family creation, Molyvos is the closest you can get to Greece in New York City. Critics agree that Molyvos serves perhaps the finest example of Greek cuisine in New York, and beyond. People from around the world have discovered that Molyvos serves the true foods and wines of Greece, along with a large dose of the country’s warm and lively spirit. Molyvos’ menu is built upon the home-style cooking of Greece using authentic recipes, classical cooking techniques and superior ingredients. The wine list, under the keen direction of Kamal Kouiri, is unique for its depth and breadth of excellent Greek labels and small producers from the Mediterranean whose wine deserves to be enjoyed. Molyvos also boasts a carefully selected Pre and Post-theatre menu that perfectly accompanies an evening of entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Molyvos - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Molyvos reviews from OpenTable diners
361 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)special occasion (127)neighborhood gem (124)good for groups (98)great for lunch (84)romantic (59)notable wine list (56)great for brunch (23)late-night find (19)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Our dining experience at Molyvos was excellent. Everything from the ambiance, to the appetizer, dinner and dessert selections were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Asked for reservations at 7pm, 2 days ahead of time; got 7:30pm reservations; arrived at 7:30pm and the restaurant was virtually empty; what gives on that score? Who controls the open table/restaurant formula? Service, ambience good; food unexceptional.
- One of our FAVORITE NYC spots!wijssaDined on 8/22/2014We first came to Molyvos 12 years ago when our youngest was a well-behaved 4 year old. The chef took the time to grill her a plain fish filet on a busy Saturday night. Over the years, we have come back when we get to The City because we LOVE the lamb cooked with orzo. We returned with our now 21 year old and the food was just as we remembered it...the lamb was excellent, the htipiti spread scrumptious, the service attentive. I am certain 100s of people walk past this place not realizing what an excellent dining experience exists behind the door...don't be one of them! It is really close to Carnegie Hall - perfect for pre-show dining.Special Features:
- Great MealMKL2DVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great meal as always, I was with a friend of town and he wanted Greek food, Molyvos did not disappointing, my guest was amazed with the freshness and the quality of food as well as the high level of service !! Thank you Molyvos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerseydinerHPdinerDined on 8/20/2014A very pleasant restaurant. Beautiful decor, nice lighting, good food. My dish (grilled sardines) was a bit bland but the other dishes seemed quite good.Special Features:
- Great all around!!ChrisDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant is gourmet Greek food. Everything was fantastic!! The decor is very nice and elegant while still bringing a Greek island atmosphere to the place. Being Greek and having sampled many of the same dishes in Greece I can say that they do a great job with everything. We were in New York for 3 nights and went here two nights in a row.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreekGerardDined on 8/14/2014Excellent food, great fresh fish! Gem in midtown for a wonderful evening out.Special Features:
- ServiceNYerDined on 8/14/2014Been here many times. Service was awful. Asked 4 different people for bread. Still took 30 minutes!Special Features:
- Enjoyed our mealjontiDined on 8/14/2014My fish was cooked perfectly and the vegetable was also excellent. I thought I didn't like Greek food but I guess I just never went to an excellent Greek restaurant. My husband remembered this restaurant from when he used to work in New York and so, when we were visiting from CA, we went and he said it was just as delicious as he had remembered. The service was also excellent. We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/14/2014This is an absolutely wonderful Greek restaurant with fresh fish and great food all around! A must if you are in this neighborhood for Carnegie Hall, City Center, the MOMA, etc. We have been going here for years and have never had a bad experience.Special Features:
- Consistently very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014We were on our way to see The Maids and this location is so convenient to City Center. We've eaten here many times. The food is always very good and the service was even better this time around. They had a wonderful scallop special with fava bean purée that was delicious. The Ikarian salad special was also a treat. The staff is welcoming and accommodating.
- Always reliableLove2EatDined on 8/13/2014The lamb shank and the grilled octopus are among the best that I've ever had. Excellent service. The wine list is so, so -- but I'm just not a big fan of Greek wines...Special Features:
- Superb and consistently efficientArmenVIPDined on 8/13/2014I have eaten here more times than any other restaurant in Manhattan and I have never had a bad experience -- actually I have never had a less than excellent experience. The food is superb. I love the new menu. The wait staff are some of the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceGastromanDined on 8/13/2014Our reservation was made during Restaurant Week. Had a set menu which was a taste of what the restaurant offered on their regular menu. Octopus appetizer was out of our comfort zone and was delish, tender and full of flavor. So was the pear martini! Wait staff did not rush us and we made the show in plenty of time. If you enjoy Greek food this might be a place to check out. Only a short walk to the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Matinee.GourmandDined on 8/13/2014After a Wednesday show matinee, we walked over to Molyvos. It was 5PM, but the dining room does not open for dinner until 5:30. However they were pleased to accommodate us in their front bar area and after a 10 minute wait, the dining menu was available and worth it. Two of us had a stuffed pepper dish, delicious, and two had seafood, well prepared. The fact it was Restaurant Week helped a little, but was not decisive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodDanielhaDined on 8/13/2014Come here often before a matinee. Reliable mediterranean food. Prix fixe was a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great soupJazzyLadyDined on 8/13/2014Near City Center. very good food. The roasted tomato soup is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Non attentive serviceLizBDined on 8/12/2014The food was great but there was up to a twenty minute wait between courses and a long period between finishing dessert and receiving our bill.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014The food was good with an extensive menu and the staff was attentive to customer needs. The bill was presented to us with a service charge included on the bill, which we did not appreciate which was twenty two dollars ...... when we paid by cash the waiter asked us if we wanted the change !!!! This we thought was very rude as we had just been charged over the top for the service. This should be mentioned to guests when booking would we go again ' no' . If you have an abundance of cash to spare and want to pay the service charge then that is up to you !Special Features:
- Greek near Carnegie HallOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/11/2014We always look forward to visiting this lovely place near Carnegie Hall. The Molyvos Restaurant Week menu offered delicious options including stuffed pumpkin blossoms, and the waiter was very helpful in guiding us to interesting beverage choices. Unhappily there was a large party seated near us that included a shrieking infant-- not expected in an establishment of this level late in the evening.Special Features:
- Very good food and good value!MyrtDined on 8/9/2014Thier octopus was great both the octupus salad on the restaurant week menu and the grilled octupus appetizer. We also loved the salmon and chicken main courses. Very good food at reasonable prices for NYC. We plan to come back!Special Features:
- GrigioDined on 8/9/2014Everything was great. The wine list consists of Greek wines only. Who knew how great they can be. Our wait person was extremely knowledgable and suggested the perfect wine for us.Special Features:
- Outstanding!TakeMeOuToDinnerVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was a great dining experience. Everything from the service to the food was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- harrispDined on 8/9/2014food is of fair quality,nothing special.we usually dined at Mylos,much better ambient and top class Greek seafoodSpecial Features:
- Not badCarrieDined on 8/8/2014We went there for Restaurant Week because we wanted to try Greek food. It was a nice restaurant and the service was very nice.Special Features:
- great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014Food was excellent&the employees were very friendly. Definitely would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014went for $25 menu so choices were limited as were portions but altogether very fair and competent. Lovely room, a pleasure for lunch, wholly professional serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We absolutely loved dining at Molyvos. Definately we´ll repeat it inout next trip to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Greek food in midtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Molyvos is reliable; it has changed little over the last 15 years. The food is very good, but it is traditional Greek cuisine, not modern gourmet adaptions. The servers are friendly and alert. The room is rather noisy (a widespread defect of New York restaurants). The wine list is remarkable.Special Features:
- except for the hostess....lkshDined on 8/5/2014Everything was friendly and delicious except for the hostess who was on the cold and arrogant side of the world. Food was delicious, waitress was delightful, hostess was chilling...Special Features:
- Fabulous food, fabulous winePhyllidaDined on 8/4/2014We always make Molyvos our first restaurant to visit when we come to New York, and sometimes second and third!Special Features:
- directorunknownDined on 8/4/2014Food was excellent and service very well done. This is my third time there and enjoy it each and every time.Special Features:
- consistently excellentKarenNYCVIPDined on 8/4/2014I've been to Molyvos many times and have always been pleased. Great if you're going to City Center or Carnegie Hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yen69Dined on 8/4/2014We went for Restaurant Week. From the moment we entered, the staff was warm and welcoming. We were seated instantly. The place is beautiful, spacious and comfortable. The dishes arrived promptly. I had the octopus salad, the Atlantic salmon and the sundae, all excellent though predictably prepared. My only complaint was that we ordered a bottle of sparkling water, and while our glasses were half full, a server swooped by and filled them with tap water. We didn't say anything because I'm sure he was only being conscientious about keeping our glasses filled, but seriously, the guy with the water jug should be told which tables have sparkling. Points to him for being so unobtrusive that we never noticed he'd been there until after the fact!!Special Features:
- Perfect Business LunchDukeVIPDined on 8/4/2014Located in the heart of midtown Manhattan, Molyvos is a terrific lunch option. The Greek cuisine is outstanding and the service is very attentive. What I like best is the table layout as tables have enough room between parties allowing for appropriate private conversation.Special Features:
- I will definitely be back!live2eatVIPDined on 8/4/2014My first experience at Molyvos was fantastic! I went with my mom and sister for lunch, and I was extremely pleased with all the food, as it was fresh and the portions were very generous. The complimentary bread basket that had delicious, warm pita was so key. The service exceeded my expectations and everyone was so friendly and attentive. I have already recommended it to people and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Away on a Greek IslandLarryVIPDined on 8/4/2014This Greek restaurant competes with the best in its class and is quite good with particularly fresh and well prepared seafood. The atmosphere is reminiscent of a high end restaurant on a Greek island. The wait staff is knowledgeable and personable. The Prix Fixe is a bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014have been a customer from day 1. restaurant not what it has been in the past. you get less, they charge more, really a bit skimpy and cheap. food is generally good, but, etc. too badSpecial Features:
- An Off Day.MonaBVIPDined on 8/1/2014Molyvos is one of my favorite places, but something seemed off when I was last there -- maybe the normal cooking was on vacation, but my meal was not as delicious or flavorful as usual. I ordered the lamb canneloni and it just didn't taste the same --I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedvisitornycVIPDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I ate here pretheatre. I was underwhelmed. I had a restaurant week special. octopus salad stuffed peppers and dessert. The octopus was quite good however the stuffed peppers were tasteless and quite plebian. My husband had sausage and moussaka. The sausage tasted mostly of filler. The moussaka was very good. Rich and satisying but needed salt as was the issue with the peppers as well. The highlight was the creme brulee dessert. I am not a big dessert person but this was spectacular. Almost worth the meal but not really.