871 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.molyvos.com/
- Phone: 2125827500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday-Friday 5:30 pm -11:00pm and Saturday-Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Greek
- Executive Chef: Carlos Carreto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full off site catering menu available, please see our website for details.
- Private Party Facilities: As John Livanos describes, a Greek meal is best enjoyed in the company of family and friends. So, let your next gathering be a celebration of life here at Molyvos! Whether business or pleasure, sit-down or family-style, treat your guests to a banquet of Chef Carlos Carretos' exquisite Greek creations.
- Private Party Contact: Kamal Kouiri/ Dimitri Catechis; email@example.com 212 582 7500x
- Special Events: Molyvos is available for a complete restaurant buyout. Please contact Kamal Kouri for details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Molyvos
A Livanos' family creation, Molyvos is the closest you can get to Greece in New York City. Critics agree that Molyvos serves perhaps the finest example of Greek cuisine in New York, and beyond. People from around the world have discovered that Molyvos serves the true foods and wines of Greece, along with a large dose of the country’s warm and lively spirit. Molyvos’ menu is built upon the home-style cooking of Greece using authentic recipes, classical cooking techniques and superior ingredients. The wine list, under the keen direction of Kamal Kouiri, is unique for its depth and breadth of excellent Greek labels and small producers from the Mediterranean whose wine deserves to be enjoyed. Molyvos also boasts a carefully selected Pre and Post-theatre menu that perfectly accompanies an evening of entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Molyvos - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Molyvos reviews from OpenTable diners
309 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (149)neighborhood gem (104)special occasion (94)good for groups (85)great for lunch (68)notable wine list (47)romantic (43)great for brunch (14)late-night find (12)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- 7th ave gem!mikeDined on 10/18/2014We had lunch here in October. The Greek food was very good. Our server was attentive and very polite. This place is huge and can accomodate large parties. If you like Greek food, you will love Molyos!Special Features:
- OpaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014If you love good Greek food this is your place in NYc The 3 chese plate to start made me want to cancel the rest of dinner and jst order 3 more cheese plates. their pairing of myers lemon, sour cherries, and sweet potatoes with the various cheeses was fabulously scrumptous. glad we did not cancel however as the rest of dinner was equally as good The clay baked lamb shank literally melted in your mouth. The prawns and artichokes were devine. Bakalava for dessert just topped off a gret evening of wonderful food. Then you just walk across the street for your performance at Carneige Hall. Does not get any better in NYCSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Octopus grilled salad the best! Excellent service. Prawn dish with artichoke fabulous. Not loud, very pleasant. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014My girlfriends and I thoroughly enjoyed our lunch date! The server and food were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsluvtodineDined on 10/15/2014The best meal we had in Manhattan and I love to eat in Great restaurants here! We had grilled octopus which was better than what I have found in Italy or Greece, and the portion was dinner sized rather than appetizer sized. I had a beautiful Bronzino fish,grilled to perfection; reminiscent of my trip to Greece and. My fiancée had the lamb chops with a potato cake with cheese inside and it was seriously to die for. I have had the opportunity to dine in all the "name" places in Manhattan and this is still the best. I have been coming here for at leat 15 years and never has disappointed. It just gets better!Special Features:
- Too noisyMusicalVIPDined on 10/14/2014I go to Molyvos 10-12 times a year, since I am a regular at the Carnegie Hall and combining the two made the evening perfect. I was away for the Summer and, on coming back, I found that they have added loud music to the usual noises of a very busy and successful restaurant. The food is still very good, the service is attentive, but I am already looking for another venue where to dine and be able to hold a conversation with whoever I'm sharing the table with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caro nel rapporto prezzo qualitàSaramago53Dined on 10/12/2014Cibo buono Ambiente anonimo Vini carissimi. Nel complesso modesto
- Fantastic Saturday Night DinnerMKL2DVIPDined on 10/11/2014Fantastic dining experience. The seafood was so fresh and well prepare, the Greek salad was vibrant and the bread was nicely seasoned and freshly grilled, I love this Place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always reliablelovetoeatVIPDined on 10/10/2014Food and service remain excellent - menu has interesting array of meat, fish and vegetarian dishes.Special Features:
- Always reliableAKDLVIPDined on 10/9/2014We always eat at Molyvos when we are going to a concert at Carnegie Hall since it is pretty much right around the corner. The food is delicious (this time we had the Moussaka and the Lamb Shank). If I had any complaint at all it would be that the food comes out very quickly…but if you're trying to make a concert, that's a good thing. If not, this is a very fast dinner. We will certainly go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/9/2014Good pre theater location and menu. OK Greek food, but service was slow and when a lot of diners came in it was hard to converse.
- Wonderful meal at MolyvospubscreenDined on 10/4/2014My daughter and I recently dined at Molyvos before before a show at Carnegie Hall. We had a reservation on a Saturday evening and were greeted and taken immediately to our table. I have eaten there before and sat in the dining room which is lovely, but this time unfortunately we were seated more in the bar area which accommodates tables for 2 people. The food was outstanding as usual and the service was prompt and courteous. Upon paying, we told them we had a show to catch and the check came right away. I will definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Greek FoodeconoinkerVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food was tasty and interesting, and the pre-theater menu is a real bargain. Service was efficient and pleasant. I definitely recommend it, especially if you're heading to a show after dinner.Special Features:
- Great GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The food was wonderful. Highly recommend the lamb shank. We had a wonderful waiter from Bulgaria. All the staff was professional. We never had to wait for anything!Special Features:
- Loved it - great dinner at the barOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/3/2014Food was delicious. We sat at the bar and Tom our bartender made great recommendations. Great atmosphere at the bar and would be equally lovely in the dining room. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the grape leaves - a little too minty for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handy for Carnegia HallPedagogueDined on 10/2/2014This is a fairly large restaurant, right around the corner from Carnegie Hall, and quite crowded the evening we were there (probably because there was a large event that evening at Carnegie Hall.) Tables are close together and the noise level is fairly high. To their credit, we were asked if we were going to a concert and our food was served in time to get us on our way. The food itself was acceptable to good. My son really liked his moussaka, my roast chicken was OK. The chicken came with potatoes, the moussaka had no accompaniments. We shared a saganaki which used haloumi instead of the kefalograviera that I'm used to. Service was indifferent. This is not a destination restaurant but worth considering if you're heading to Carnegie Hall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did the chef change?EclecticgourmetVIPDined on 10/2/2014Food good but way down since the Spring. "Greek" salad used semi ripe tomatoes rather than those wonderful heirlooms of yore. Salmon bedded on overly sweet eggplant with raisins. Baked apple too sweet to eat. Bring back the rice pudding!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy4grandDined on 10/2/2014Could not even converse with people at our table. Extremely noisy. Resented waiter repeatedly recommending wine from list that was very overpriced. Not sure $120 a bottle for wine is warranted at a pre concert light meal. We were so annoyed we wound up ordering no wine! However everyone thought food was very good. I felt that this restaurant was more for tourists as evidenced by its location in hotel.Special Features:
- A Greek HavenRalphknowsDined on 10/1/2014Molyvos has become an elegant dining experience, with superb service and delicious dishes. The only negative might be the price of liquor, which is over the top, even for New York. But for a special evening, it cannot be beat!Special Features:
- diappointment with our service.thepurplestainDined on 10/1/2014The food was excellent, as expected. Our waiter ignored us. The waiter took our order and we never saw him again until the check was delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek treasureFoodieDined on 9/28/2014Good food a la carte if a little expensive. Lovely classy surroundings and good service. However, waiters did tend to hover just a little too much and plates whipped away just a little too quickly. Would recommend for a special meal but a little pricey just for sustenance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek food in NYCSchnoogieDined on 9/27/2014You will not be disappointed. The staff is very attentive. Eggplant skewers and grape leaf appetizers were delish. The lamb shank was so soft and flavorful. Moussaka was wonderful. Also the blood orange martini was superb! Great dining experience in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weekends in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/27/2014Great find! Comfortable, well stocked, and friendly bar. Outstanding menu, presentation and selection. Having been to Greece and the Greek islands, this restaurant is deliciously authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014Food was delicious, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!LittlePistachioDined on 9/25/2014Looks unassuming from the street but once inside this place is very restoration hardware chic. Been here several times and the food is consistently great.
- VigiDined on 9/20/2014The octopus was excellent. Great service. Loved the fishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014One of the best Greek restaurants in new york! fish is so fresh it swims over to your table! :)Special Features:
- Top Notch Greek diningABH13VIPDined on 9/20/2014Impeccable service. Some classic greek dishes, attractive presentation of food. Fabulous fish choices. Fish from Montauk to Greece can be grilled whole. Good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we loved itbligDined on 9/16/2014It's surprisingly hard to find good Greek/Mediterranean restaurants in Manhattan, but this one was excellent. We were a party of four, and all of us loved what we ordered. The tzatziki was the best I ever had! Plus, even tho it was lunchtime, we were never made to feel like we had to leave to free up the table. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seventh Heaven on Seventh AvenueMike44Dined on 9/15/2014Best food in Times Square area. Service is terrific. Can't get enough of the Grilled Octopus. This is the one restaurant to visit in NYC. I've eaten here on every visit to New York for the last 5 years.Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceFoodySusyDined on 9/12/2014We ordered the caviar mousse to share and my husband ordered the grilled octopus while I ordered the prawns and artichokes. Everything was prepared to perfection and the service was spectacular. We felt we obtained good value for the quality of the food we ordered. The environment was not pretentious even though the service was top notch. Definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Greek in Midtown westGuillermo1215VIPDined on 9/12/2014Friendly vibrant setting. Extensive Greek wine list. The small plates are way to go - octopus - eggplant- ribs- all solid with healthy portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Greek Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I highly recommend Molyvos. Excellent food The waiters provided great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good recoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/12/2014We were there for lunch and they brought out the wrong order for me. The waitress was great and took care of it promptly and the food was delicious.
- sullenmoonDined on 9/11/2014We loved the fish here...first time in my life eating pink snapper, and I will clearly return for more. The wait staff was patient and attentive. I would recommend Molyvos without a second thought.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonDined on 9/8/2014I brought my colleagues through to Molyvos for dinner following a tiring day of meetings, as I had eaten here before and found the food excellent. The food was excellent again! Our waiter recommended wine from the menu as we did not know the wine being visitors to New York and he was able to choose the perfect match to go with the food. We will certainly be back. Thank you for a great dinning experience.Special Features:
- We are always pleased here.MeltonVIPDined on 9/8/2014The quality of the food and the level of service are very high. It's a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantJudiDined on 9/6/2014I love, love, love Molyvos. Always go when I am in New York. Food is excellent and so is the service. Everyone is so nice and friendly. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek cuisine at it's best!RRaabLongDined on 9/6/2014Table for five at lunch on a Saturday - no problem. Every one ordered different dish and shared a couple of apps. The grilled octopus was the best I've ever had. Homemade canelloni stuffed with braised lamb shanks were delicious, the Moussaka even better. I didn't taste the stuffed red peppers, but my dining companion loved them! Definitely worth a walk up 7th Ave! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent service. Delicious food.KCdirectorDined on 9/5/2014Have the octopus, no matter what, and any of the fresh fish. The pink snapper was perfect. My go-to in the neighborhood and I take clients there regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.