871 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.molyvos.com/
- Phone: 2125827500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday-Friday 5:30 pm -11:00pm and Saturday-Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Greek
- Executive Chef: Carlos Carreto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full off site catering menu available, please see our website for details.
- Private Party Facilities: As John Livanos describes, a Greek meal is best enjoyed in the company of family and friends. So, let your next gathering be a celebration of life here at Molyvos! Whether business or pleasure, sit-down or family-style, treat your guests to a banquet of Chef Carlos Carretos' exquisite Greek creations.
- Private Party Contact: Kamal Kouiri/ Dimitri Catechis; firstname.lastname@example.org 212 582 7500x
- Special Events: Molyvos is available for a complete restaurant buyout. Please contact Kamal Kouri for details at email@example.com.
A word from Molyvos
A Livanos' family creation, Molyvos is the closest you can get to Greece in New York City. Critics agree that Molyvos serves perhaps the finest example of Greek cuisine in New York, and beyond. People from around the world have discovered that Molyvos serves the true foods and wines of Greece, along with a large dose of the country’s warm and lively spirit. Molyvos’ menu is built upon the home-style cooking of Greece using authentic recipes, classical cooking techniques and superior ingredients. The wine list, under the keen direction of Kamal Kouiri, is unique for its depth and breadth of excellent Greek labels and small producers from the Mediterranean whose wine deserves to be enjoyed. Molyvos also boasts a carefully selected Pre and Post-theatre menu that perfectly accompanies an evening of entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Molyvos - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Molyvos reviews from OpenTable diners
330 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (139)neighborhood gem (112)special occasion (109)good for groups (86)great for lunch (74)romantic (58)notable wine list (53)great for brunch (20)hot spot (14)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- we loved itbligDined on 9/16/2014It's surprisingly hard to find good Greek/Mediterranean restaurants in Manhattan, but this one was excellent. We were a party of four, and all of us loved what we ordered. The tzatziki was the best I ever had! Plus, even tho it was lunchtime, we were never made to feel like we had to leave to free up the table. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceFoodySusyDined on 9/12/2014We ordered the caviar mousse to share and my husband ordered the grilled octopus while I ordered the prawns and artichokes. Everything was prepared to perfection and the service was spectacular. We felt we obtained good value for the quality of the food we ordered. The environment was not pretentious even though the service was top notch. Definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Greek in Midtown westGuillermo1215VIPDined on 9/12/2014Friendly vibrant setting. Extensive Greek wine list. The small plates are way to go - octopus - eggplant- ribs- all solid with healthy portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Greek Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I highly recommend Molyvos. Excellent food The waiters provided great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good recoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/12/2014We were there for lunch and they brought out the wrong order for me. The waitress was great and took care of it promptly and the food was delicious.
- SharonDined on 9/8/2014I brought my colleagues through to Molyvos for dinner following a tiring day of meetings, as I had eaten here before and found the food excellent. The food was excellent again! Our waiter recommended wine from the menu as we did not know the wine being visitors to New York and he was able to choose the perfect match to go with the food. We will certainly be back. Thank you for a great dinning experience.Special Features:
- We are always pleased here.MeltonVIPDined on 9/8/2014The quality of the food and the level of service are very high. It's a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantJudiDined on 9/6/2014I love, love, love Molyvos. Always go when I am in New York. Food is excellent and so is the service. Everyone is so nice and friendly. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek cuisine at it's best!RRaabLongDined on 9/6/2014Table for five at lunch on a Saturday - no problem. Every one ordered different dish and shared a couple of apps. The grilled octopus was the best I've ever had. Homemade canelloni stuffed with braised lamb shanks were delicious, the Moussaka even better. I didn't taste the stuffed red peppers, but my dining companion loved them! Definitely worth a walk up 7th Ave! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent service. Delicious food.KCdirectorDined on 9/5/2014Have the octopus, no matter what, and any of the fresh fish. The pink snapper was perfect. My go-to in the neighborhood and I take clients there regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meeting an old friendmerylnycDined on 9/4/2014I had to pick something in a specific part of town. I knew Molyvos was good. My only complaint is the hostess seated me--I arrived first. When my friend arrived, she was told I wasn't seated but was in the ladies room. After 15 minutes, my friend called my cell and I directed her to the table the restaurant seated me at. Strange.I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice Greek joint - slow serviceTeroDined on 9/3/2014The spreads and seafood were top notch. But I must say the service was perhaps the slowest I have seen in 3-4 years. Our waiter seemed to have four tables, but it took 30 minutes to get a glass of water and 50 minutes to place our orders. We had to tackle the waiter to get a check, at that point we were desperate to escape. But the food was tasty.Special Features:
- Always reliable .JZ74Dined on 9/3/2014Having dined at Molyvos since it opened, I can say it's uniformly very satisfying. Always leave here happy. The menu changes seasonally. There is a large selection of mezzes (hot and cold, meat and meatless) enough variety to make a light meal and alway a choice of whole fish, simply grilled. My friend and I each chose a salad and split a red snapper for dinner, with a side of spinach (portion can be shared) A wonderful place to dine with those who don't eat meat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowthepurplestainDined on 9/3/2014Food was excellent. Service was impeccable. Wine list is noteworthy.Special Features:
- Best Greek food in the USJohnawcVIPDined on 9/1/2014Greek food is one of our favorite cuisines. We seek it when in major cities. We have traveled extensively through Greece enjoying the food and culture. This was THE BEST GREEK MEAL that I have had in the United States. The menu is the real thing. There are the food items that are staples for casual Greek food diners. Then there are the items that you never see in the US. The service staff was exceptional . We had four guests with us that were not as savvy with Greek food and the staff was really good about briefing the menu and pointing them in the right direction. The wine list features a greater selection of Greek wines that I have ever seen. This restaurant is on my favorites list--Required when visiting NYC.Special Features:
- A hidden Gem in NYdjscinemaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Molyvos has become a favorite place to eat for my and my family every time we visit NY. It is an easy walk from our Hotel which makes it even better but we would travel if it was it was farther away! We have gone there and at times never even made it to the main courses as the appetizers and starters are all so good!! The Octopus is a Must have!!!! For the main course their Fresh fish selection is always a great choice but not sure you would go wrong with any of the other items on the menu! Definitely check them out!Special Features:
- ExcellentMrsGSBY1Dined on 8/30/2014Our dining experience at Molyvos was excellent. Everything from the ambiance, to the appetizer, dinner and dessert selections were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Asked for reservations at 7pm, 2 days ahead of time; got 7:30pm reservations; arrived at 7:30pm and the restaurant was virtually empty; what gives on that score? Who controls the open table/restaurant formula? Service, ambience good; food unexceptional.
- One of our FAVORITE NYC spots!wijssaDined on 8/22/2014We first came to Molyvos 12 years ago when our youngest was a well-behaved 4 year old. The chef took the time to grill her a plain fish filet on a busy Saturday night. Over the years, we have come back when we get to The City because we LOVE the lamb cooked with orzo. We returned with our now 21 year old and the food was just as we remembered it...the lamb was excellent, the htipiti spread scrumptious, the service attentive. I am certain 100s of people walk past this place not realizing what an excellent dining experience exists behind the door...don't be one of them! It is really close to Carnegie Hall - perfect for pre-show dining.Special Features:
- Great MealMKL2DVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great meal as always, I was with a friend of town and he wanted Greek food, Molyvos did not disappointing, my guest was amazed with the freshness and the quality of food as well as the high level of service !! Thank you Molyvos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerseydinerHPdinerDined on 8/20/2014A very pleasant restaurant. Beautiful decor, nice lighting, good food. My dish (grilled sardines) was a bit bland but the other dishes seemed quite good.Special Features:
- Great all around!!ChrisDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant is gourmet Greek food. Everything was fantastic!! The decor is very nice and elegant while still bringing a Greek island atmosphere to the place. Being Greek and having sampled many of the same dishes in Greece I can say that they do a great job with everything. We were in New York for 3 nights and went here two nights in a row.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreekGerardDined on 8/14/2014Excellent food, great fresh fish! Gem in midtown for a wonderful evening out.Special Features:
- ServiceNYerDined on 8/14/2014Been here many times. Service was awful. Asked 4 different people for bread. Still took 30 minutes!Special Features:
- Enjoyed our mealjontiDined on 8/14/2014My fish was cooked perfectly and the vegetable was also excellent. I thought I didn't like Greek food but I guess I just never went to an excellent Greek restaurant. My husband remembered this restaurant from when he used to work in New York and so, when we were visiting from CA, we went and he said it was just as delicious as he had remembered. The service was also excellent. We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/14/2014This is an absolutely wonderful Greek restaurant with fresh fish and great food all around! A must if you are in this neighborhood for Carnegie Hall, City Center, the MOMA, etc. We have been going here for years and have never had a bad experience.Special Features:
- Consistently very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014We were on our way to see The Maids and this location is so convenient to City Center. We've eaten here many times. The food is always very good and the service was even better this time around. They had a wonderful scallop special with fava bean purée that was delicious. The Ikarian salad special was also a treat. The staff is welcoming and accommodating.
- Always reliableLove2EatDined on 8/13/2014The lamb shank and the grilled octopus are among the best that I've ever had. Excellent service. The wine list is so, so -- but I'm just not a big fan of Greek wines...Special Features:
- Superb and consistently efficientArmenVIPDined on 8/13/2014I have eaten here more times than any other restaurant in Manhattan and I have never had a bad experience -- actually I have never had a less than excellent experience. The food is superb. I love the new menu. The wait staff are some of the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceGastromanDined on 8/13/2014Our reservation was made during Restaurant Week. Had a set menu which was a taste of what the restaurant offered on their regular menu. Octopus appetizer was out of our comfort zone and was delish, tender and full of flavor. So was the pear martini! Wait staff did not rush us and we made the show in plenty of time. If you enjoy Greek food this might be a place to check out. Only a short walk to the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Matinee.GourmandDined on 8/13/2014After a Wednesday show matinee, we walked over to Molyvos. It was 5PM, but the dining room does not open for dinner until 5:30. However they were pleased to accommodate us in their front bar area and after a 10 minute wait, the dining menu was available and worth it. Two of us had a stuffed pepper dish, delicious, and two had seafood, well prepared. The fact it was Restaurant Week helped a little, but was not decisive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodDanielhaDined on 8/13/2014Come here often before a matinee. Reliable mediterranean food. Prix fixe was a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great soupJazzyLadyDined on 8/13/2014Near City Center. very good food. The roasted tomato soup is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Non attentive serviceLizBDined on 8/12/2014The food was great but there was up to a twenty minute wait between courses and a long period between finishing dessert and receiving our bill.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014The food was good with an extensive menu and the staff was attentive to customer needs. The bill was presented to us with a service charge included on the bill, which we did not appreciate which was twenty two dollars ...... when we paid by cash the waiter asked us if we wanted the change !!!! This we thought was very rude as we had just been charged over the top for the service. This should be mentioned to guests when booking would we go again ' no' . If you have an abundance of cash to spare and want to pay the service charge then that is up to you !Special Features:
- Greek near Carnegie HallOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/11/2014We always look forward to visiting this lovely place near Carnegie Hall. The Molyvos Restaurant Week menu offered delicious options including stuffed pumpkin blossoms, and the waiter was very helpful in guiding us to interesting beverage choices. Unhappily there was a large party seated near us that included a shrieking infant-- not expected in an establishment of this level late in the evening.Special Features:
- Very good food and good value!MyrtDined on 8/9/2014Thier octopus was great both the octupus salad on the restaurant week menu and the grilled octupus appetizer. We also loved the salmon and chicken main courses. Very good food at reasonable prices for NYC. We plan to come back!Special Features:
- GrigioDined on 8/9/2014Everything was great. The wine list consists of Greek wines only. Who knew how great they can be. Our wait person was extremely knowledgable and suggested the perfect wine for us.Special Features:
- Outstanding!TakeMeOuToDinnerVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was a great dining experience. Everything from the service to the food was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- harrispDined on 8/9/2014food is of fair quality,nothing special.we usually dined at Mylos,much better ambient and top class Greek seafoodSpecial Features: