871 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.molyvos.com/
- Phone: (212) 582-7500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday-Friday 5:30 pm -11:00pm and Saturday-Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Greek
- Executive Chef: Carlos Carreto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full off site catering menu available, please see our website for details.
- Private Party Facilities: As John Livanos describes, a Greek meal is best enjoyed in the company of family and friends. So, let your next gathering be a celebration of life here at Molyvos! Whether business or pleasure, sit-down or family-style, treat your guests to a banquet of Chef Carlos Carretos' exquisite Greek creations.
- Private Party Contact: Kamal Kouiri/ Dimitri Catechis; firstname.lastname@example.org 212 582 7500x
- Special Events: Molyvos is available for a complete restaurant buyout. Please contact Kamal Kouri for details at email@example.com.
A word from Molyvos
A Livanos' family creation, Molyvos is the closest you can get to Greece in New York City. Critics agree that Molyvos serves perhaps the finest example of Greek cuisine in New York, and beyond. People from around the world have discovered that Molyvos serves the true foods and wines of Greece, along with a large dose of the country’s warm and lively spirit. Molyvos’ menu is built upon the home-style cooking of Greece using authentic recipes, classical cooking techniques and superior ingredients. The wine list, under the keen direction of Kamal Kouiri, is unique for its depth and breadth of excellent Greek labels and small producers from the Mediterranean whose wine deserves to be enjoyed. Molyvos also boasts a carefully selected Pre and Post-theatre menu that perfectly accompanies an evening of entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Molyvos reviews from OpenTable diners
359 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (182)neighborhood gem (117)good for groups (107)special occasion (106)great for lunch (79)romantic (55)notable wine list (52)great for brunch (21)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (13)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- delicious! A great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014The food and the experience was wonderful. We enjoyed the Greek salad and eggplant for appetizers. Both were light and yummy. We both enjoyed the fish dinners. Both were moist and very flavorful. The side dishes were terrific. The waitstaff was very attentive and knowledgeable. A great experience for a dinner before a Broadway show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek fare at its bestRugletVIPDined on 11/20/2014Some of the best Greek food and wine in NYC. The Shrimp and Artichoke Le Pilote needs a bit more spice. People who do not speak Greek should not be put off, but try one of the traditional Greek dishes and expand your horizons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty and tastefulsuzzymDined on 11/19/2014I love this place - nice atmosphere but reasonably laid back and the food is excellent. The grilled octopus appetizer and the crispy lamb pie mezede are to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseCliffsidersDined on 11/17/2014This was our first visit to Molyvos, and...what a pleasant surprise! We were greeted very warmly at the entrance and escorted to a great table by the maitre d' - very nice gentleman. The waiter was a little surly to start, but warmed up nicely as we progressed through the evening. Wonderful food! Wow! From the spreads and bread to the desserts - everything top notch. We both had the beet/yogurt salad - delicious! And I had the lamb which is some of the best I have ever eaten. My husband's pork chop was almost as scrumptious. Wonderful Greek desserts and wine were also a delicious surprise. Very nice atmosphere in a room that is large and spacious by New York City standards. I would never have thought myself a fan of Greek food, but this experience has converted me AND my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek At Its BestPankoVIPDined on 11/16/2014This was our first visit. What a great find. Everything from ambiance to service to the food was as good as can be. All of dishes were delicious. We had the grilled octopus, hummus, roasted eggplant spread, dolmades, pita, cheese toast, martinis... all perfect. Highly recommended for seafood lovers. The fresh fish display (on ice) is formidable. We'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014if you're going to a Broadway show, you can get out of the tourist zone nearby and have an excellent Greek dinner, good ambiance, and not noisy. Outstanding service. Will go there at every opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to Carnegie Hall for seeing a show/dinnerCarolKDined on 11/15/2014wine recommendation for Greek wine that was like a Sauvingnan Blanc, closest on list and recommended a Cardonnay, very Oaky, sent it back. Food was VERY salty!!! Salt is the number one ingredient in ALL dishes there! Greek salad was DEVINE!! Mousakka was delicious, but WAY too salty. The Lamb dish was out of this world, but again, too much salt! Nice environment for a night out....extensive wine list. Quick and perfect if your going to show at Carnegie Hall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best moussaka anywhereArtguyVIPDined on 11/15/2014Try the moussaka. It is great. Wonderful food and always has you finished to catch your Broadway show or symphonySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in general!JonniDined on 11/15/2014I've never been disappointed in Molyvos. whether for dinner, lunch, or brunch. The Greek cuisine is outstanding, the service always warm without beingi obsequieous or intrusive, and the general atmosphere consistently pleasurable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really GreekOfficeWorkerVIPDined on 11/14/2014While this is a beautiful restaraunt and it was packed in a recent Friday night, the food is Greek-inspired, at best. Overpriced for fairly generic dishes. The moussaka was visually unappealing and was a big disappointment. The grilled octopus appetizer was good. We won't be going back soon.
- Annoying seating and mediocre foodKateDined on 11/14/2014We had a 5:30 reservation - but coming a long distance and allowing for traffic - arrived early at 5. We were told we could not be seated early (restaurant was empty). When we came back we were seated in the bar area (not the main resaturant). When we asked for another table we were put facing the service entrance. We asked to move again. Our reservation was not recorded with Open Table and we had to dispute that toget our earned points. The food was only ok. Taramsalda was very good. Shimp in "shrimp with pasta" was overcooked and pasta was gluey.
- Jumped the SharkOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/14/2014I've been here several time for lunch and the food has always been good, but some of my favorite dishes (i.e. grilled octopus appetizer and fava spread doesn't taste or seems to be prepared the way it was in the past. Everything was still very good, but just not what I was expecting or looked forward to.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always lovely restaurantStephenVIPDined on 11/13/2014Well located, attractive, excellent food. Inventive, modern Greek food. Not pricey, attentive service. If you're interested, huge all Greek wine list. Big and busy but still not noisy. Strong recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined Greek GemPetite4Dined on 11/12/2014Whenever I am in the neighborhood for a Carnegie Hall or City Center performance, I choose Molyvos: the food is very well prepared and more refined, shall I say, than the usual taverna style; service is impeccable; and atmosphere delightful. Not cheap but well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goin' to City Center...???AnOldFriendVIPDined on 11/12/2014If you're goin' to City Center, this restaurant is "a must" try...!!!Special Features:
- Still TerrificGoingGreekDined on 11/12/2014Been to Molyvos over the years and happy to say it's just as terrific as the first time - a pleasant surprise in 2014!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfriendly waiter and bad servicemaven1VIPDined on 11/11/2014The food was OK--nothing was great. But our waiter was uninterested in us. Took forever to take our order. Disappeared for the rest of the evening. When we wanted the check, he waved us off. Finally the manager got the check. Not the worst experience but definitely disappointing.
- I was surprisedVisitingNYCVIPDined on 11/9/2014I had walked by Molyvos many times and finally decided to give it a try. My wife and I were very pleasantly surprised and will certainly visit again. Attentive service without being pushy, very nice ambiance and the food was terrific.Special Features:
- Carnegie Hall FavoriteMusicalgalDined on 11/9/2014Reliably good, fresh Greek food in an attractive setting near Carnegie Hall. Open for Sunday lunch/brunch--a rarity in this area.
- each dish transports you to GreeceIlovetheHiddenGemDined on 11/8/2014If you're looking for authentic, deliscious Greek food, this would be hard to beat. The lamb chops were prepared to perfection, lemon chicken soup rivaled my Grandmother's and the fish melted into the tomatos it was cooked in. HIGHLY recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Carnegie Lunch SpotfoolforfoodDined on 11/7/2014Waiter was very helpful; atmosphere is cheery and food is very good--the lunch special for $26 or $28 is a great buy. We were not rushed and tables are far enough apart so you can hear yourselves speak. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Lunch prix fix menuNonokoVIPDined on 11/6/2014We ordered prix fix lunch and it was delicious. Very good service, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GreekWorldtravellerDined on 11/5/2014A lot of authentic Greek and Mediterranean dishes (Turkish/Lebanese). Authentic taste. I visited years ago and remember they had only Greek dishes. The expanded a bit. The waiters are not Greek anymore, but the overall experience was still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorit restaurantMarinaVIPDined on 11/4/2014Great pre theater menu!!! Enjoy meal and enjoy concert after that! Chicken soup is very unusual and very tasty. My favorite restaurant near Carnegie Hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, should be better (price)KrunoslavDined on 11/4/2014Greeting was a little stiff but not rude. They were accommodating about the table. Waiters decent though one lost interest once he realized only on person in our party wanted a cocktail. Food quite good but local places at 1/3 the price could have done as well. Fish specials were excellent, also the spanakopita, but neither the roasted chicken with potatoes nor the moussaka was out of the ordinary. Might return, as it's convenient to Carnegie; but will hope to find more things that really justified the highish prices. Wine BTW is only by the bottle ( all Greek labels) save for one house red and one house whit e by the glass. Kind of surprising in in Manhattan.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Level of noiseGrammyDined on 11/1/2014Because of large group tables Of 8-10 people, the noise level is hard to control. That is my only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mission inpossibleImpossibilityDined on 10/31/2014We were a party of six ladies. Before we placed our orders, we asked the waiter for separate bills. He denied. Nowhere else in the US did we came across this attitude!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/31/2014We have eaten there dozens of times. It is always excellent and they are used to getting you out on time for concertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss MolyvosduckDined on 10/31/2014This a is a great option in a neighborhood with few options for a healthy and delicious meal. Great for business or pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent flavors - close to C Hall2restwegoDined on 10/30/2014We enjoyed apps, seasoning excellent and food fresh. Spacious interior and pleasant decor.Special Features:
- Upscale Greek SeafoodAMANJVIPDined on 10/30/2014This is a great spot for special occasions (a bit expensive for ordinary occasions). We ordered fresh fish, and it was perfectly prepared. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Pleasant GreekYeahDiningoutagainDined on 10/28/2014Dining at Molyvos was a pleasant experience. From the excellent service to the spacious rather elegant decor. The food was well prepared and very tasty. I would only caution against ordering fish if the tab is of concern. A whole fish is weighed and priced by the pound so you don't really know what a filet will actually cost. Why do only Greek restaurants do this?Special Features:
- Gourmet Greek RestaurantRonCDined on 10/25/2014If when you think Greek restaurants you think "Diner", then this is not your place. This is a fine restaurant with gourmet Greek recipes to match any other fine restaurant in the city. Service is professional and attentive. The room's decor is wonderfully exquisite and the food is excellent. For appetizers we had the delicious barbecued lamb ribs, hummus, stuffed grape leaves and grilled octopus. All were done to perfection. The octopus was tasty and not at all rubbery. As a main course, I highly especially recommend the clay pot lamb shank. It was so tender it literally fell off the bone. We were a party of six and everyone enjoyed their meals, vowing to return. How wonderful to have a great restaurant in the heart of midtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice!serabvDined on 10/25/2014With friends from out-of-town. Requested a quiet spot for dinner and we were accommodated. We could converse without shouting!Special Features:
- Great seafood, exceptional serviceswisskitDined on 10/24/2014Upon entry you a stuck by a seemingly sea of wait staff. Once seated and service begins you realize just how good the service is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to Carnegie HallPlaygoerVIPDined on 10/24/2014We were late getting to Molyvos for our 6:30 pm reservation because of awful traffic on the West Side Highway. We called to let them know and they held our table. When we finally arrived at 6:50 we quickly ordered drinks and dinner and our waiter was very efficient and got us out in time for our curtain. The moussaka was delicious as was the lamb shank which fell off the bone. We would definitely go back but would leave home earlier so as to arrive on time next time. 😃I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the roasted beet saladYetAnotherFoodieVIPDined on 10/24/2014Delightful lunch. The treatment of the roasted beets was outstanding. The leg of lamb wrap was good but needed more zip in the yogurt sauce. I will return, but it is not quite the same as being in Greece. However, a great find for me in the theater district.Special Features:
- Always deliciousMomusingVIPDined on 10/23/2014Molyvos is always a reliable and delicious restaurant to dine in. It's one of my go to places for work meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Greek foodDelphiDined on 10/23/2014Molyvos has been a favorite dinner place for us in midtown Manhattan for several years now. Nice, warm atmosphere and great service. This time we had the following: dolmadakia (stuffed grape leaves -- dolmathes), Molyvos moussaka, arni yuvetsi (clay pot lamb shank), baklava, and milopita (apple crisp). The dolmadakia were a great starter. The moussaka is wonderful, as always. The lamb in the clay pot lamb shank deserves special mention. It was falling-off-the-bone tender and perfectly spiced. The baklava was excellent, as always, but the was superb. The apple crisp is a savory mixture of caramelized apples, raisins, and walnuts in phyllo served topped with cinnamon ice cream and caramel sauce. A perfect treat for ending the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mediterranean finddinetowineVIPDined on 10/22/2014This restaurant was near our hotel and recommended by the Concierge. Its Greek oriented, and most of the food is fresh and is based on the Mediterranean foods. We found the food very tasty and very good. Our only complaint is that the portions were fairly small. I had their lemon chicken soup and the lamb chops. I enjoyed both entrees very much. The service was good. In looking at their wine list for red wines, most of the wines were from Greece. Being from California, we're of course, partial to California wines, but I must say the wine I did have was very good.Special Features: