Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal
1155 California Dr.
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themokutanya.com/
- Phone: 6503489388
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room hosts 8 small sunken dining tables.
- Private Party Contact: May Chan 6503489388
A word from Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal
Experience Japanese charcoal-grilled skewers, small plates, wine and beer in individual glass-divided rooms with sunken Japanese tables. We strive to source our ingredients locally.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal - Best Restaurants in Burlingame ›
Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)romantic (34)special occasion (34)late-night find (26)good for groups (25)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (12)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Chinese take on Japanese yakitoriNYCJeanVIPDined on 8/13/2014Was disappointerd with the taste of the food. The chicken was over cooked and the taste not authentic Japanese. The service, however, was excellent and the atmosphere equally nice. But would not go back. Sorry.Special Features:
- for the adventurous and timidOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/30/2014An interesting and unique variety of dishes to sample for the adventurous eater as well as classical dishes for the more timid eaterI would recommend this to a friend.
- Yakitori!MisterBeestieVIPDined on 7/29/2014I'd never been to a Yakitori restaurant before, so this was a new experience for me. We sat at a traditional Japanese sunken table which was a little challenging to get in and out of, but I guess that is part of the fun. With the help of the wait staff (super cute Japanese girls by the way), you fill out a paper form for everything you want to try. All the food was interesting, but some items were better than others. Looking back, the one item I will remember and return just to eat was the Chicken Karage, beautifully fried dark golden brown, super crunchy, bit-size pieces served with a spicy mayo. We didn't have alcohol, but I thought the price was very reasonable for the two of us at $88 without tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/21/2014Awesome staff and food! Would definitely recommend! Friendly staff!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great customer serviceburlingamerDined on 7/11/2014it's like japanese tapas and small bites. very delicious because everything is made to order. the customer service is outstanding. will definitely go back.Special Features:
- So Sophisticated for Burlingame!FridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 6/20/2014Really a fun place, ambiance and food-wise, we really felt we must be in the City, not Burlingame. Really enjoyed our meal, however, it is a bit pricey, so will be more of a special occasion place for us. We ordered the clams, lamb, beef and okra, which were fabulous. I would have preferred the chicken wings to be grilled more on both sides, the order we received had them grilled on just one side. We got the edamame for free because we did a checkin so that was nice. Great saki choices too, all bottles though so it also raises the price. We do look forward to returning for another occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.jetsamDined on 5/30/2014It was great. The food, drinks, servers, hostesses. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/26/2014Delicious food, nice atmosphere and ambiance, good service. Overall positive experience. Shoes off style dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious bitesprymnumberVIPDined on 5/17/2014Great place for first dates and special occasions. (When we went, there were at least 2 other obviously early dating couples.). We loved each bite sized dish and could have easily ordered double the amount. But we held back due to the quickly mounting check amount. Overall a great experience. We'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Kinda priceyGrillguyVIPDined on 5/16/2014Pork cheek was great and so was the pork belly. Perfect balance of charcoal and smoky flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunken Seating, Tasty Grilled MeatsHappyLadyVIPDined on 5/14/2014Wow this place was awesome. we will definitely be back. My husband found them through open table and grabbed an 8:15pm Wednesday slot. Tucked away in a strip mall by a gas station, this place is a total find. The restaurant was about 50% full and the atmosphere was amazing. Sleek tall glass separating seating areas. Sunken floors and tables. Remove your shoes and enjoy! Candle lit and good music. The grill produced amazing Wagyu beef, bacon asparagus, salmon, spicy mayo chicken and it went down smooth with our Asahi beers. Really enjoyed this place. We went as a couple, but both thought it's great for couples or a group of 4 or 6. =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great grill foodDaly2MateDined on 5/13/2014We had a wonderful lunch and a good dessert = green tea cheesecake!Special Features:
- Nolan's review of MokutanyaNolanDined on 5/11/2014This is our first visit. I would say the food and service were outstanding. Our server, Shirley, as completely attentive and a delight to meet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 128 reviews are from the Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal reviews archive.
- Amazing food and cool ambiencePkvaisoDined on 4/11/2014We loved this place. We ordered a bunch of dishes and every one of them were amazing. Some of note were lobster, hamachi, pork sausage, and lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemWuggyDined on 4/10/2014Service was perfect and had great suggestions for shochu and food. I'm glad it's on my way home so I can stop by more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.. AAA++++JYimVIPDined on 3/23/2014This us my 2nd times going to this restaurant. My 1st time was my birthday. I was very impressed- meaning wow. Loved the skewers and ramen soup. Outstanding service and the glass room- very private and quiet. The sake was so good. Especially the Lychee sake was delicious. Ask for May, she is the greatest Host. I would like to take new member of family and friends to try this place.Special Features:
- Sons"grown up dinner"Karliux415Dined on 3/21/2014My son turned 13 and we took him for his first grown up dinner. The waitresses were super nice and even offered him a complimentary dessert, we walked in with his cake(like all moms wanting to make ur kid feel special) they were happy to hold it in the kitchen, but in the end we were so full we ended taking it home, this was our third visit and we will return. The food came at a good pace, my son loved the l Tongue, my daughter loved everything, thank you to the staff for making the night a success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for late night bitesfoodiegirlDined on 3/18/2014They are open til 2am! Great M/Tue $1 oyster special. Love their Black Garlic Miso Ramen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but great!LissDined on 3/12/2014Prices are high but the food and atmosphere make it worthwhile. Definitely a couple spot, not for the kiddos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning decor with veryhigh pricesBuffGuyVIPDined on 3/8/2014Yakitori is not bad though often lukewarm when arriving at the table. Hugh markups on the largest list of sake you can find in the country. The ramen is very bad. Please learn from all the ramen restaurants in downtown San Mateo! Open till very late every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinner!PeteeyeVIPDined on 3/7/2014This is our third time dining at Mokutanya. It was just as good as we remember. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very chill and relaxing atmospherekateybabyDined on 2/24/2014I went to dinner here with my son and my husband. it was her first time and we were pleasantly surprised to find the interior decor very relaxin. The hallway was nice and dimly lit as the we were led to the main dining area. we were asked to take our shoes off and taken to our table. at first glance it looks like our table is the traditional Japanese tabe were you have to sit on the floor. we were pleasantly surprised to find that the tables were actually deeply rooted and dug from the floor. Neat! the food was great and the green tea was wonderful. a bit on the pricey side though...will iI come back? Definitely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I recommend Mokutanya forthereseVIPDined on 2/20/2014I recommend Mokutanya for dinner but not for lunch. The yakitori is really good, but the bento boxes and ramen are just average.
- Better than the first visitcutie92475VIPDined on 2/17/2014This was my second visit to Mokutanya and the service was better than my first visit. The host was very friendly and helpful and our waitress was competent and checked on our needs regularly. My only complaint is that they were a bit skimpy on their happy hour specials. We ordered 3 dozen $1 oysters. The first dozen were decent... relatively good size. In the second dozen that arrived, there were a couple of oysters that were so small that it was practically nonexistent. I'm not sure why they would serve an oyster that's been shriveled up to their customers. I had to send it back. The 3rd dozen were on the small side as well. Overall, this is a good restaurant for the ambiance and experience, but food portions are small.Special Features:
- Their Yakitori are full ofBMCerDined on 2/16/2014Their Yakitori are full of flavor. Tried Wagyu Beef, Kamo (duck breast), Butabara (pork belly), Bacon wrapped asparagus, chicken thigh topped with wasabe paste and spicy mayonnaise. You can't go wrong with any of them! Tried their Tonkotsu and Spicy Beef ramen as well, loved the flavors of the their broth.Special Features:
- Best Date NightairreDined on 2/14/2014I absolutely love this place. Best place for the perfect date night to set the mood right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placeken210Dined on 2/8/2014We have been going to this place for quite sometime now. Love their yakitori - wagyu beef and pork belly in particular. They have good ramen. Another fave of mine is their chicken karaage. The place is nice with impressive glass dividers. Ambiance is great with dim lights and not so loud music. Truly a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I definitely recommend MokutanyaAlshVIPDined on 1/22/2014Mokutanya is consistently delicious for dinner. Every dish I have tried there from the wonderful appetizers, to the fantastic meats, to the scrumptious desserts, has been outstanding. I have not been there for lunch, but there is another menu that does not include the fantastic, smoky grilled meats, but does include ramen and salads. This place is particularly fantastic if you are trying to stay away from carbs. My only complaint is that the bathroom is uni-sex and often dirty later in the evenings.Special Features:
- Nice testsurabtJessicaBabyVIPDined on 12/31/2013I have been there few times. Food and service were good as usual. Noise level was disturbing as the people next to our table were uncontrollably loud! Their wagyu beef is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotAlexDined on 12/30/2013Very cool ambience and good food, get ready to fold your feet and take shoes off. The spicy beef ramen is yummmmmmySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- taste ok expensive billYSCAVIPDined on 12/25/2013We do not mind to pay more for good food but it is kind of disappointed. Somestuffs taste just ok and the bill are way more expensive than Japanese sushi and still feel hungry after meal.
- Hidden Hot SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2013From the outside, you'd never guess the inside is so elegant. The food is great, the atmosphere is really nice with a feeling of privacy from the glass dividers. I liked the idea of sitting on the floor with the footwell. Overall a really nice experience especially on a holiday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal on Christmas DayJazzguy1Dined on 12/25/2013Our group of 5, including a relative spending a lay-over at the SF Airport, had a delightful lunch at this cute, little room. The food was scrumptious and well prepared. Many of the menu choices were items on skewers, which were varied and tasty, but my favorites were the soft-shell crab salad and the monkfish liver, which were true delights. Though there were few other diners for a late lunch on the holiday, the wait staff were uniformly charming and the waitress was able to recall our dishes without making notes! The traditional, low bench seating fit the character of the room. Don't be put off by its location in a small shopping center. This was a good discovery, and we'll return and recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but PricyDublinKGVIPDined on 11/30/2013The service is good and foods are great. I think it is little bit over priced since the location is not so nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sake and YakitoriFoodieChapVIPDined on 10/26/2013This place has some interesting game yakitori, including crocodile. We stuck with the standards and this place was good. I think it's made better by the fact they have a ton of sake to choose from. It was halloween week so the staff was dressed up in costume and definitely had some cuites to boot. The portions are small and you can end up with a pretty large bill or going out for a second dinner if you didn't want to pay for the additional sticks.Special Features:
- I came here with a relativeFLYCHINADOLLDined on 9/26/2013I came here with a relative visiting from out of town. Atmosphere is dim lighting, with semi private booths. You have to take your shoes off before entering your booth. Seating is low so you have to climb down and climb out of our seat. I had a dress on so it was a bit awkward. Waitstaff and hostesses were attentive. Food was delicious but portions were small and pricey. Your bill will get very expensive quickly. Not really great for kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!PeteeyeVIPDined on 9/13/2013This is the second time we ate at the restaurant. It was as nice as the first time and we plan to come back next time we're in the area.Special Features:
- It is our first visit at thisgreenleaf288Dined on 9/7/2013It is our first visit at this restaurant. Atmosphere was nice, sit in your own area, separated by glass, you can hear other people, so it isn't secluded, but enough that you wouldn't notice if you weren't looking around. We order some skewers, Beef Tataki, chicken Karaage and Spice Beef Ramen. Overall the Skewer was good: The Beef Tataki is over priced (4 paper thin slices for $14), The ckicken Karaage was kind a dry and it looks on the dark brown side (it looks like the frying oil has not been changed for a while). The spicy beef ramen is good but over priced at $15 and we had to wait for about 10 minutes before we get the extra bowls to share the ramen after serveral requests..
- OkMinnamsVIPDined on 9/5/2013Some of the skewers were good, some meh. Good spot to have a conversation.
- good everything except locationOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2013being in the corner of a strip plaza makes it look cheap, but nonetheless the food and ambiance made up for it when you forget where you're at.I would recommend this to a friend.