2236 31st St
Astoria, NY 11105Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mojaveny.com/
- Phone: 7185454100
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Baltazar Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For information on off-site catering please contact us.
- Private Party Facilities: The outdoor patio can be reserved for private parties larger than 60 guests. For more information please contact Susan.
- Private Party Contact: Susan O 7185454100
- Entertainment: Viva Margarita Wednesdays with live music and $5 margaritas all night.
A word from Mojave
In this adobe hacienda, the décor is subdued and soothing. Warm cream color walls, dark wood floors and furniture allow one to focus on the artistic design of the room, with three separate pitched ceilings made from spruce and fir strategically placed with hidden lighting on the walls. When evening falls, the flickering glow of candles adds comfortable warmth to the already pleasant ambiance. The food is Southwestern with of course authentic Mexican flare. From starters such as the hand hacked Hass avocado guacamole and MotherRoad Roadhouse Chili to entrees such as slow & low braised Short ribs of Angus beef, Mojave's menu is both fun and interesting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mojave reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (12)neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (10)fit for foodies (8)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (7)special occasion (5)great for brunch (5)hot spot (4)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Mexican in AstoriaspskagsVIPDined on 10/15/2014Great find in Astoria Fish Was Excellent Dessert was the too good to pass upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican!Dot1Dined on 10/11/2014Mojave has some great Mexican food. I have been here for brunch and dinner and both are amazing. Their popular sangritas (a mixture of sangria and frozen margaritas) are fun and tasty and deceptively strong. The staff is attentive but not overbearing and my friends and I always have a good time when we go. Definitely make a trip out there during the warm weather and enjoy their lovely outdoor space. Things to try: their short rib tacos, their chicken empanadas, pretty much anything; everything we had was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta love the Shrimp Tacos!Push2ExtremeDined on 9/27/2014Date night...regular. It's a location if you looking for a tapas spot or a last minute go out. They always have good service. The menu could use some additions, but the shrimp tacos with the mango is absolutely delicious. Pitcher of Sangria with white wine for about $36 bucks is a good deal as well. I would gladly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spot for eye candiesAWESOMEDined on 9/12/2014If you want to eat out with a nice view filled with eye candies, this is the place to be. Indoors is beautifil with the decorated ambiance and in house live music. The food is great expecially the duck enchiladas. A great night life spot.Special Features:
- What a wasteLovesTooEatDined on 7/25/2014This restaurant was said to be Astoria's best Mexican food; I wonder how that came to be because the food was awful. Their guacamole was tasteless and their salsa tasted like it came from a jar. My sister got Duck Enchiladas which she said was ok but not great. I got the Pepitaas Salmon which, though very colorful, was boring. The flavors were not strong enough to make an impact on my taste buds and each bite felt mushy and unsatisfying.Special Features:
- Mixed feelingsOriiDined on 6/30/2014Heard about this place is a newspaper review that raved about it. I was excited to try it bc I haven't been to this part of Astoria. The inside decor is beautiful, but my group ate outside since the AC was too cold. Outdoors wasn't as nice but still a perfect place for a summer night meal. Sangria was ok, nothing special. The food was hit or miss - people who order the quesadillas were pleased, I ordered the shrimp tacos which were average. The service was slow, and it took a while for our food to come out, but it was ok since it gave our group time to catch up and chat. All in all, I don't think id come back here but it was nice to try something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousRogueDined on 6/28/2014We could not stop raving about how great everything was. I tasted food from everyone's plate and they were all amazing things I would order again. My mom claimed the squash risotto was the best risotto she'd ever had. We had a big meal with drinks, appetizers, sides, and desserts and it was ALL amazingSpecial Features:
- The following 51 reviews are from the Mojave reviews archive.
- Best guac ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2014Had the regular guacamole and it was fantastic. Bartender was friendly and made a great drink with jalepeno infused tequila.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badMomndadgooutDined on 5/11/2014Had it not been for the decent food and that it was Mother's Day and I had my two kids with me. I would have walked out due to the slow as molasses service. It took 25 min just to put in my drink order then 30 min more to actually receive my drink. Unbelievably slow. The wait staff looked frazzled. Also they were out of three entrees and it was only 6pm. The blue chip crusted calamari was noticeably good.Special Features:
- Mother's Day celebrationVanessaDined on 5/7/2014I toke my teenagers and a three years old to celebrate Mother's Day, it was amazing food, excellent service !! I would defenitly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014This restaurant is such a gem. Located in Astoria right by the elevated train stop, it's VERY convenient from the city. The food is EXCELLENT! And OMG - the Sangrita is to die for. Try the Guacamole. VERY good.Special Features:
- Last minuteMARIEVIPDined on 3/7/2014Tried Mojave out last minute food was great. They also serve brunch which is popular the server said. Would definitely go back during that time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prefix Menu was on pointCrayDined on 2/14/2014Took my wife here on VDAY - great food and good service,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome little placeMMMdelishDined on 2/1/2014Came here with my bff and we liked it since we walked through the door. Really enjoyed the food and ambience. The lighing by my table was very slow, that not even the candle helpped, but still love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindLovetoeatVIPDined on 2/1/2014Food was flavorful and delicious, margaritas fabulous , decor stunning, and reasonably priced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Astoria MexicanStCherylDined on 1/18/2014Lovely Mexican restaurant very close to the last stop on the N train in Astoria. Good food, good service, great cactus pear margaritas. The noise level inside can be kind of high, partly due to the constant soundtrack. It's easy to get there from Manhattan, and is substantially cheaper than equivalent Manhattan restaurants. Child-friendly, and nice garden for warm weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dinner atmosphereELkayDined on 1/10/2014Went here to dine with some of my girlfriends. the place was pretty crowded but it had a good ambiance. The waiters were very helpful and friendly and they accommodated us very quickly. Would definitely come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot for a nice dinnerdineKingDined on 12/16/2013this place is great for a quiet dinner, a first dinner date or a romantic night out during weekdays. during weekdays it is very quiet and nice ambience. nice selection of drinks, great wings, and nice entree. good prices for good food.Special Features:
- Excellent Three Course ThanksgivingMojave2GirlDined on 11/28/2013A wonderful bargain, excellent food and the best service. A Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings and just a hint of the old South West. The included seasonal tequila cocktail was out of this world! Who could ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ....missing a kick across the boardNYCfoodieVIPDined on 11/15/2013We went to Mojave on a Friday night. We had a cocktail at the bar before we sat down for dinner. The Margarita was missing a zest and taste. The food was blant and had no seasoning . We had crusted calamari to start, chicken relleno and chicken fajita. My boyfriend and I found that we can heat up rice and chicken and add a tortilla and hot souce at home. It was a blant experience. The starter was probably the best of all We will not go back. .
- Good, Not GreatPapaJulietZuluDined on 11/15/2013The food was pretty decent and menu was specifically very interesting. We were brought the wrong food twice but I didn't even mind that. The problem was, everything was a little pricey. Considering the Taco Truck on the corner has some of the best food in the city...and at a price that's 70% less? I'm not sure I'd go back to Mojave. Again, the chef is great...and you will have a nice night out...but you're gonna pay hefty for it.Special Features:
- Great Food & Outdoor Diningluv2eatDined on 9/7/2013The outdoor seating was casual and the food delicious. The indoor seating would be great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good!EddieVIPDined on 8/31/2013I have visited their sister restaurant in the West Village-Agave- and I had never been to the Astoria outpost. Lets say that I am now happy that I dont have to get all the way down to the village for awesome mexican food. As an astoria purist, i can say that the restaurant doesnt really "fit" in its environment, which makes it all the more better because its something different and delicious. I highly reccomend it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good optiongc917Dined on 8/24/2013Mojave is a neighborhood staple. The food is always great and they use good tequila even in their house margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I found Mojave a little costlysunshineDined on 8/9/2013I found Mojave a little costly not a place I would visit often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome Sangrita, delish empanadasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2013place was beautiful, food excellent, drinks, mmmmmm Cannot wait to go back again, this time with somebody who can drive me home so I can enjoy more than 1 Sangrita !Special Features:
- BdayFoxsaysVIPDined on 7/6/2013Went here with group friends for friends bday Good service good food and lots of sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was average goodMaggyVIPDined on 6/28/2013The food and service were OK. Feel the restaurant is a bit overpriced. But all in all, it was a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- LOVE IT!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2013I've been to this restaurant several times and have never been disappointed.....LOVE their sangritas...a def must!Special Features:
- MojaveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2013I thought the music was a tad bit annoying, and the service was a little slow, but the food was good and the place has a great following.Special Features:
- I went for a spontaneous dinnerCinoevilDined on 5/27/2013I went for a spontaneous dinner during the week with my daughters. We had a wonderful time. The food was delicious, we had the guacamole with the wings as a appetizer, steak tacos, veggie burger and portobello quesadilla for dinner which were all wonderful. And as ones never to pass up dessert, the fruit fondue was a perfect end to a lovely evening. I've been here three times now and have enjoyed each time very much, I would definitely recommend Mojave because of its friendly and attentive staff and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MojaveaddictDined on 5/24/2013The food is just amazing! My eyes literally did the whole roll to the back of the head thing. My first time going on Friday and I was back on Saturday night! The staff is so attentive! I mean the food is spectacular the decor is point. The staff is great! The price is affordable for anyone! The perfect spot! I LOVE IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysharryDined on 5/5/2013We were looking to celebrate "Cinco De Mayo" at Mojave. We could not get through by telephone to make a reservation. However, Open//table saved the day. As always, the food and service was outstanding. Also, the music was great, but, a little too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and good funOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2013Not only is the food delicious, but the wait staff is very attentive and accommodating with any changes you want to make (e.g., no cilantro). The meals come out quickly, but they do not rush you. The molten chocolate cake is a favorite.Special Features:
- I always enjoy Mojave butOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/15/2013I always enjoy Mojave but was disappointed in the menu revisions, my favorite gulf shrimp appetizer is no longer on the menu and the prices have increased since I was there less than a month ago. Getting very pricey.
- ONLY COMPLAINT WAS THE SERVICE.Alexandra80VIPDined on 2/2/2013ONLY COMPLAINT WAS THE SERVICE. THE FOOD TOOK FOREVER TO COME TO OUR TABLE AND PEOPLE THAT SAT AFTER US GOT THEIR FOOD FIRST. MY SISTER ORDERED A GLASS OF WINE AND THE GLASS CAME WITH LIPSTICK STAINS.Special Features:
- Towards the end of the eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013Towards the end of the evening the music got a bit too loud. Service could have been a little better as we had to ask the hostess for a second round of drinks. Our waitress was very nice and helpful but it seemed she was running around a lot. My go to dish is the skirt steak fajitas which has been good every time I've ordered them. Overall this restaurant is great for a romantic date, a big celebration or a last minute dinner. I always like to make a reservation though because it's usually crowded.Special Features:
- OOPSbonesVIPDined on 1/26/2013I totally screwed up. I went online looking for restaurants in Westfield NJ and typed in Mojave and when it came up I booked a reservation. When I got to the restaurant they had no reservation, but fortunately could sit us after a brief wait. They said that they didn't use any booking service, so I took out my phone and looked at my confirmation and saw that the Mojave I booked was in Astoria Queens. In ,y life I have never been and will never be at a restaurant in Astoria.! I do not know how that came up when I was looking in NJ I do find that your site is not great when trying to book geographically.
- Great food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Great food, great service, great sangria. Had an amazing time!!!! Def going backkSpecial Features:
- Although I thought the guacamolepunchVIPDined on 10/27/2012Although I thought the guacamole was very good and the salsa's were excellent I found my salmon tacos to be more like wraps than tacos and that was disappointing. A glass of sangria spilled at my table and the wait staff very efficiently and nicely cleaned the spill and replaced the drink.