Moe's Cantina River North
155 W Kinzie
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Moe's Cantina River North
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.moescantina.com/
- Phone: 3122452000
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Special Events: please visit www.moescantina.com to stay update to with upcoming events & specials.
Like us on Facebook too!
A word from Moe's Cantina River North
Moe's Cantina is a modern Mexican cantina -- Mexican fare with Spanish & South American flare. The menu features small sharable plate choices such as skewers and tacos, plus more substantial fare like banana leaf-wrapped halibut with chipotle sauce and parrillada de carnes, with rib-eye, rib ends, skirt steak and bone-in chicken served on a tabletop grill. Moe's has quickly become famous for the sangrias and margaritas. So who is Moe? He's a friend of the family who developed quite a reputation for his culinary skills.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Moe's Cantina River North reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (16)great for lunch (9)hot spot (9)great for outdoor dining (8)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)special occasion (4)fit for foodies (2)Show More
- Poor Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014I had a group of 12 people and not a single order was right. This could be understandable with a large group, but the waitress/server was unhappy when we we asked for things to correct our order and also didn't follow through with requests. We also did not get any cheese on our skillets, or even the other fixings such as sour cream and tomatilla salsa. When I asked for cheese and sour cream for the whole table, we only got one small dish. When we kindly asked for water we got attitude too. The food was okay but could have been great! Same with the experience, if the waitress was kinder.Special Features:
- Fun Friday night!mbt725Dined on 8/15/2014I've been to moes several times and this last visit was really good! I haven't had drinks there in awhile but the margaritas were amazing! Also had food which was pretty good as well..overall a really fun time! If it's nice out definitely try for an outside table. But plan you firiday night carefully cuz we went after work and moes gets the clubby later on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed Lunch ExperienceTheFairCriticDined on 7/24/2014Reasonably priced, but the food was not good. Will not be back.
- AwfulBkkkDined on 7/21/2014Food was mediocre, ice tea smelled and tasted like well water and I gave it back to the waitress right away - she still charged me for the ice tea.
- Good food, good friendsSusieQDined on 7/19/2014Had a wonderful Saturday brunch with friends at Moe's. The food was awesome; it was a first-time visit for my friends and they loved it. Sat at a big table just inside the restaurant but close enough to the open windows to feel like eating outside. Totally enjoyed the experience!Special Features:
- Bad customer servingAaaapppppfoodsDined on 7/12/2014I usually don't rate restaurants just tip the waitress a good amount to let them know how satisfied i was but I never had a worse experience than this .... Not only was the food just okay the waitress would only check in every half hour and the door man was horrendous. after spending over 200$ and leaving we realizing It was raining the doorman did not allow us to take cover by building from weather and after which said we are not allowed inside since we didn't move.Special Features:
- I'm too old for this placeFoodiewannabeDined on 7/12/2014The food is solid at Moe's, the service is quick but it's too loud for me and it seemed to be more made for bachelorette parties.Special Features:
- Disappointing Food ExperiencePatPDined on 7/8/2014This place is in a great spot and the decor and ambience are outstanding. I was very disappointed with the food. I ordered the chicken sliders - meat was sliced thick, too much bread, not enough sauce, not enough rice or beans (barely a spoonful). I'd wanted to go there for a while and I did not enjoy. I didn't complain or ask for a manager - probably should haveSpecial Features:
- DisappointedLuvchitownDined on 7/5/2014Been here previously about 6 months ago & was a fun experience. This time around Friday 7:30 -9pm July 4 th wknd was not impressed. Bartenders seemed distracted & in conversations with each other & unpleasant. Four of us got a table ordered appetizers & food was good but service was sub par. Server was not visible for over. 15mns. We left went to a sushi restaurant around the corner which was excellent overall. Bartenders & Servers working there need to realize that it is about customer experience & it was disappointing. Too many choices in Chicago to have the poor experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok MexicanFoodie912Dined on 7/5/2014Skewers were fair/good, mango salsa was great and chips were fresh. Quesadilla and taquitos were as expected.Special Features:
- Mexican food is okayDaveSchanDined on 7/5/2014Moe's Cantina is wide-open seating, with movable front windows of glass, so on a nice day the inside is exposed to the outside. The service was acceptable and the food was average for Mexican restaurants we've been to. I felt like the demographic sought at Moe's was a bit younger than us (we're in early 60's). It was a fun place to try and, I think, worth it for anyone who likes outdoor eating and Mexican food to give a try. Prices are reasonable and menu is pretty varied.Special Features:
- Crowd pretty cool, but food weakerMaxGoalie55Dined on 7/2/2014Great location, vibrant crowd and super friendly servers, but food quality declining over time. Overall, impressive cuisine for the price despite the great service and nice crowd.Special Features:
- Just plain awfuldadwritesVIPDined on 6/25/2014This place is often busy, but it must be the bar scene, because the food is really, really subpar. With your tortilla chips, a mainstay in Mexican restaurants, you get a small server of dipping sauces, not a bowl of salsa, and it lasts through about five chips. The chicken tacos were unbelievably bland, offering no hint of seasoning, as were the dipping sauces/salsas. My companion asked for some salsa on the side, for which they charged us three bucks, and we had to flag down busboys repeatedly because the waitress was nowhere to be found. Like the heading says, this place is just plain awful.
- Spice up your next biz lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Moe's provides an affordable alternative to the Chicago business lunch. With a fun selection of salsas to stir up conversation, they set the tone for a lively outing even without margaritas. Really enjoyed my ceviche and my colleagues Cobb with fresh grilled corn. The open windows onto the steet provide the best of all worlds: open air dining very much like you find in Mexico+ air conditioning. Very fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodTriathamomDined on 6/15/2014We went to celebrate my son's 10th birthday. Group of 5. Sunday early evening. Not crowded. We ordered a bottle if good wine and entrees. Took 30 minutes to get our food and equally long to get our check. I think our server was more interested in the World Cup than us. I likely won't be back but the food was good. This is a good place to go catch a game or hang out with a crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014Despite recommendations to visit Moe's I was not pleased with the service at all!
- Just okaychifoodsceneroxVIPDined on 6/6/2014The best part of coming here were the margaritas, which were served with tumblers for us to refill. If you're doing a boozy lunch, this is your option. The food was just alright. We ordered the guacamole to start, which was delicious, so make a meal out of margs and guac. There are better options in the area though.Special Features:
- Foooodsta87Dined on 6/1/2014Food was decent; the fish tacos were a little bland but my friend got carne asada and they were very good. Service was fast but the waitress wasn't very friendly and was pretty preoccupied. I'd come again, esp. during a sporting event. TV set up is perfect for watching hawks/bulls/anythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was goodnduddlesVIPDined on 5/30/2014The best thing about this place is the service and decor. The waitress was awesome, knew just when to check in. The food is okay, being in River North they take advantage and have overpriced food and drinks that are just mediocre. I went because I saw a bunch of GF on the menu for gluten free items which is awesome but then they go and put flour in their "corn" tortillas so I can't have any tacos - that makes NO sense to me. Overall, I would go somewhere else to actually eat, if you are going for a cool looking place where you cant hear the people you are with talking then head to Moe's.Special Features:
- Always a good choicegardenangelDined on 5/28/2014Moe's never disappoints. Food and service always great. Love coming here.Special Features:
- The following 217 reviews are from the Moe's Cantina River North reviews archive.
- MehSIM61Dined on 5/21/2014Margarita was tiny and weak. Ice tea tasted so fishy we sent it back. On the other hand, the guacamole was very good and plentiful and we enjoyed our tacos. Overall, nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Good location for business lunchraviVIPDined on 5/19/2014I had the special for the day, the flank steak and was not a fan, the meat was overcooked and poor quality. I also didn't appreciate them canceling my reservation AFTER I had ordered. Not sure I would repeat unless doing business at the Mart
- TimVDined on 5/17/2014Disappointed to say the least. Party of 18 and the meals all came out at different times bit was hour from the first meal to the last. They also called me earlier in the day and tersely explained the would only split check five ways. I found their reservation confirmation to be less than welcoming. The food was below average. In some cases tasteless. I would not recommend Moes to anyone.
- LombardVIPDined on 5/14/2014Came for lunch. not crowded at the time, but the food was just warm when served.
- Not so festiveCityGirlVIPDined on 5/5/2014I made a res in advance for Cinco de Mayo, we were put upstairs, out of the way, it wasn't remotely festive, the waitress acted as if she were doing us a favor... The guy at the front desk was a bit full of himself.. couldn't crack a smile or even acknowledge guests coming in. The food was good, but no need to return..
- Club AtmosphereM1keDined on 5/3/2014Gerät Place for easy going dine out, mexican food and great cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, disappointing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014I chose this restaurant for a bachelorette party,12 girls. food and drink was VERY good. Recvd confirmation call with stern tone that we needed to keep it to 4-6 different tabs. I had reminded all the guests to bring cash, bc I know it's considerate to restaurants to do so, and didn't appreciate the tone. Our guest of honor ordered a round of tequila shots. Asked waitress price ,was told $6/shot. AFTER shots were served, waitress informed her that the house tequila was out, we were served Patron and she was billed $10/shot. She should have been informed this before shots were served, that is a significant difference in cost. Lastly, when we were seated we waited 5-7 minutes before we were approached by our waitress. restaurant was NOT busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the atmosphere...OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/1/2014Let's face it - the food here is really bad. It had no flavor, and it's just really generic. Although I do like the salsa. We go here because it's close to work and the drinks are good and it's a fun environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for bringing back theChicago2367VIPDined on 2/19/2014Thanks for bringing back the Octopus Ceviche Appetizr! Although this time it was combined with shrimp & whitefish, which. Made as my entree! That paired with chicken tortilla soup made for a satisfying meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedBobBDined on 2/14/2014Great food; even better atmosphere. Extremely friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- more of a drinks than food spotMissPDined on 2/8/2014The drinks were great but the food was average, which was disappointing given how tasty it looked on the menu (great food photography!).Special Features:
- Amazing food and ambiance!sajni32601Dined on 2/1/2014This was my first time having dinner at Moe's Cantina in River North, and it was an amazing experience. We went into the restaurant with a reservation for 3.. several other people showed up to our group afterwards, and the restaurant was very accommodating. The food was amazing.. we are shared 2 small plates and a skewer, and it was more than enough food. I recommend this restaurant for a fun group setting. Moes has an awesome bar atmosphere with great music and a great crowd. Definitely will be going back to Moe's to try the rest of their food options.Special Features:
- Does mexican food mo JusticeGreatVIPDined on 1/25/2014This is a bar that wants to be a restaurant and fails at the restaurant end....somewhat a sports bar very loud music
- Disappointed by Moe'sZena13VIPDined on 1/25/2014I really wanted to like Moe's and had been wanting to try it. I really liked the space, the decor and different seating areas. The sangria, which the server did remember to bring, was good. The elote was good. For main entrees my husband got the tacos el pastor and I got goat cheese and poblano tacos, one of the few very few vegetarian entrees on the menu. The goat cheese tacos had absolutely no flavor. They did take them off the bill, though, which was better than nothing. After the entrees, my husband wanted to try a slider and we ordered dessert. They both came out at the same time, rather than dessert last. The slider was nothing special. The sever never brought the second drink I ordered. Mediocre food, weird service. Oh well.Special Features:
- Food good service not goodJerryDined on 1/2/2014Food was good but the service was very poor slow and did not pay attention to needs.
- This is Bar not a restaurantGreatVIPDined on 12/19/2013The food was served cold and not very good This is a BAR...VERY LOUD STAY AWAY UNLESS YOU ARE BETWEEN 21 AND 35 YEARS OLD
- Absolutely wonderfulChgochikDined on 12/13/2013Loved it all: food, drinks, service, atmosphere! Fun night! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the walk from michigan streetDiegoDined on 12/7/2013It was a walk from michigan ave shopping but the food comes quick and with a lot of flavorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!GordonScotDined on 11/11/2013This was our first time at Moe's and would probably go back. Was started off with chips and three types of salsa's. All three where very good but the portions were small....lots of leftover chips. Moe's tacos are quite delicious and they don't skimp on meat. Overflowing and nice balance of meat, cheese and such. We were there for a late lunch, early dinner and it was quiet, almost too quiet. Our server was excellent. She allowed us to mix up our orders a bit which was very nice.Special Features:
- GoodJBfromMtlDined on 11/2/2013We enjoyed the fish (talapia) tacos very much. A perfect mix. The mango salsa is fantastic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.