145 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 1J8Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://modusristorante.com/
- Phone: 4168619977
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bruce Woods
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Modus Ristorante
Introducing: Modus Ristorante, the plush new Financial District spot for upscale Italian Modus Ristorante, a new restaurant in the Financial District, might serve Italian food, but refreshingly, no one’s anxious to label it “rustic.” Behind Modus is Sam Genkov, owner of the 16-year-old District favourite Bravi Ristorante, and chef Bruce Woods, formerly of Brassaii. No stranger to high-end Italian cuisine, Woods worked at Il Posto in the late ’90s, becoming executive chef and co-owner of Centro after taking over for Marc Thuet. Modus’s menu shows Woods back in his element, re-imagining recognizable Italian classics as fine-dining creations. Behind the restaurant’s 300-bottle wine program is sommelier Ruben Elmer of Profile Wine Group, who has also previously worked at Canoe and Auberge du Pommier. The list offers 10 reds and eight or nine whites by the glass, with a heavy focus on Italian, Californian and South American wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Modus Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (11)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (7)special occasion (6)notable wine list (5)neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (3)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Food and ServiceJimboDined on 10/8/2014I took my friend for lunch and the food and service was great. However, I did mention to both the hostess and to the waiter that it was a special birthday for my friend and it would have been nice if they offered her a free dessert as most restaurants do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italy in TorontoDatenightDined on 9/22/2014This is by far the BEST Italian food I have had since travelling through Italy...maybe even better! The lunch and dinner menu is the right balance of options without being overwhelming. The food is beautifully presented and delicious...no further seasoning required. The seafood is fresh and the scallops are to die for. The pasta dishes are perfectly cooked and dressed with the right amount of sauces - not too much and not too little. At the end of the meal, you are full but left wanting more. Wait staff are attentive, friendly and informed. An excellent overall experience!Special Features:
- Mixed feelingsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014Walked by it many times but finally went in. The food was great but it caters to the downtown office set and there was a very noisy cocktail party in the bar with smokers spilling out through and blocking the entrance. So, while the service was pretty good and the food and wine offering exceptional, the ambiance was, unfortunately, much less than it could have been. If I ever go back it will only be if there isn't a large noisy group blocking the entrance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingUnsatisfiedDined on 8/27/2014I took a client out to lunch, we both ordered the salmon. It was embarrassing! For $30 a plate we got a tiny piece of salmon, a few inedible sprouts which took the place of a bed of lettuce and ONE yellow bean. Completely misrepresented on the menu. The salmon was very average, nothing special. I take clients out all the time and this restaurant was over priced and we left hungry!Special Features:
- OKSamantha9Dined on 8/19/2014Came here for a business meeting but there was a bit of a delay with our lunch and it was too loud that we couldn't hear conversations being held at the table. Overall the food was good.
- A solid performer in a tough crowdIvebeeneverywheremanDined on 7/17/2014Nice ambience. Small but varied menu - I was able to order halibut that was not on the menu for the day - and everyone in my group of three found an appealing choice. All were pleased with their choices. Halibut was as good, or better, than I've ever had. Wine list covered all price points although prices were probably 20-30% higher than I'd expect. Wine steward helped me find a couple of $95 Italian reds that I was quite happy with but I would rate them as $25 retail quality. Overall, I'd return but limit my wine purchases!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Food was delicious but portions were a little small.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, great foodValeriaDined on 6/26/2014I enjoyed my stays, a great place to meet and great food. My waiter was rushing. It's pricey. .Special Features:
- The following 183 reviews are from the Modus Ristorante reviews archive.
- June 21JimboVIPDined on 6/21/2014This my 3rd visit to Modus. My first meal was excellent, one of the best gnocchi dishes I had ever had. The 2nd visit was not as good, the lamb was chewy, the gnocchi average. So this was the tie breaker. The majority of the food was under seasoned, including their famous meatballs - but it was the service that sealed the deal. Waited about 30 minutes for them to clear our dishes after we were done our mains, and I am pretty sure we were one of the last tables in the restaurant. When they finally came to clear, we waited another 10 minutes after that to even take a dessert order, and that was after I tracked them down - they were busy setting up the restaurant for the following day's service. At these prices, I expected a lot more.
- Best Octopus I have ever had!GELAT0VIPDined on 6/10/2014I have had Octopus in both Italy and Spain, and for my money Modus has the best I have ever had. The serve it as an appetizer Galithian style with potatoes, Tomato, tender, great flavors, A+! Bravo!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/28/2014Never disappointed when going to Modus...excellent food (you have to try the tuna tartare and seared scallops: spectacular!). Never had a disappointing meal. Presentation is off the charts and service is always solid. Love the design of the space. Open and elegant.Special Features:
- EnjoygoodfoodDined on 5/6/2014Excellent meal. Wait staff friendly and helpful in a professional manner. I was with clients and they were made to feel right at home. Another fine evening at Modus. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014I loved the atmosphere, unfortunately the waiter forgot our food and when we did get it my guest dinner was cold, she ordered a chicken salad, we were told it takes a long time to cook the chicken, but the their were two tables who came in after us and they were served very quickly, our meal took half hour after we ordered and we had to ask about it. Not too happy as I was treating a client.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, odd servicevisitor2yyzVIPDined on 3/26/2014The food for the restaurant was simply ok. Nothing wrong but nothing exciting. It felt like a restaurant that used to be better and is living off of its reputation from the past. I'll pass next time.
- Good food, poor ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2014Great food, good service. Not great ambience. Dividing front bar section from interior restaurant section, with drapes, ineffective. Was very noisy which spoiled the atmosphere. Too bad, as the chef is great.Special Features:
- The Perfect SpotFoodies4everDined on 3/19/2014Modus Ristorante was the perfect spot to have lunch and reminisce with an old friend. The restaurant is perfectly located at King and York and has a beautiful ambience, with floor-to-ceiling grey satin drapes used as wall dividers. I was easily able to make a same day reservation for noon. The reception area is very inviting and the staff were very pleasant.They helped take our coats and brought the coat check tags right to our table. The wait staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly, and took the extra time to help us to decide between a side of Argula, Rapini, or Citrus marinated fennel salad. My friend and I shared our dishes of Honey and hazelnut crusted salmon and Potato and braised lamb ragu gnocchi. Both dishes were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modus has become my new favouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2014Modus has become my new favourite restaurant to take clients for lunch. Great menu, well prepeared and presented food , with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for a wonderful evening!jmw81VIPDined on 3/3/2014We had a fantastic experience at Modus - the food was absolutely delicious and very well presented (we had the beet salad, scallops main and antipasto platter) and the staff were friendly and knowledgeable. Beautiful restaurant and run by a very nice man named Sam who we had the pleasure to meet and spend time with throughout the evening. Will definitely be back and keep Modus in mind for a special occasion, thank you!Special Features:
- Get togetherLubaDined on 2/28/2014Got together with a group of collegues at Modus as it came highly recommended by a friend. She was right! The service was excellent, the wine list exceptional and the food was just fantastic. I would recomment this reseraunt to anyone looking for a elegant place to take friends, family or clients.Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantEnjoygoodfoodDined on 2/21/2014My husband and I enjoyed a lovely evening at Modus Restaurant. Everyone was extremely attentive and made us feel truly welcome. The soft lighting, candles and decor created a romantic atmosphere for us, however my husband had been previously in a business scenario and the restaurant works equally well for that. Food was excellent - Tuna Tartar and Octopus salad appetizers were great and lamb shanks for the main course were outstanding. Great wine list - server was extremely helpful in helping us pair wine for our food. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and will most definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDinerDined on 2/21/2014My husband and I dined at Modus for a "date night" + a theatre show later. We had a very good experience at Modus: very friendly but non intrusive staff, also very knowledgeable. Food was superb! We would go again :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only Positive SurprisesJoanneDined on 2/21/2014Our dining experience was excellent from the moment we were seated to coffee and dessert. The food was excellent - we had the lentil and sausage soup, tuna and the mushroom risotto - all beautifully prepared and presented. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the wine and recommended the perfect choice for us. The service overall was attentive, conscientious but not intrusive. The ambiance was lovely as well. We will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Italian restaurantstimurDined on 2/14/2014Does not worth the money we've spent in there. - It started from the very beginning, when they could not explain how to find them over the phone. - Kept us waiting for 30 minutes to be seated. Even though we had a reservation and they had a lot of free tables.Receptionist simply forgot about us. - The worst steak in Toronto. It was over burnt piece of meat surrounded by veggies, with the same coarse burnt taste. And it costs $45, seriously ? Notified their manager about it and left. minus one restaurant in our area.
- Amazing Valentine's DayneonthoughtsDined on 2/14/2014Took my girlfriend for Valentine's Day and if we weren't sharing a hotel room with friends, whew...it would have went down. The food was absolutely ridiculous. The ahi tuna was seasoned perfectly with just enough sear and the ravioli would gave my Italian grandmother's a run for it's money (don't tell her that though). The wine list was impressive, we ended up going with a 2010 Merlot. Even though we were pretty full after dinner,we thankfully decided to split an apple tart and wash it down with a glass of Port. Perfect finish to an outstanding meal. We'll definitely be back next time we're in the Toronto area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, average serviceJeffFromTODined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentines day dinner. The food was good quality (especially the appetizers) and came out promptly. The service was brusque and ordinary. None of the staff made an effort to build much rapport with us, and the waiter had to be reminded about our drinks before they arrived. The experience wasn't dreadful, but it also wasn't what I expected given the price of the meal.
- Delicious but patience req'dGotjoshDined on 2/14/2014A delicious menu fancily plated along with an amazing wine list adds combines to make it worth while the slow service in this faded dark street level downtown restaurant. Went here for Valentines day and it was nice but average in many respects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very very good dining experienceRHillerDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I had dinner at Modus on Valentine day. The wild mushroom soup and the appetizers were good to very good. My sea bass was excellent and it was probably one of the best fish dish I have had in the last few years. It was just cooked perfectly. My wife's pasta was also very good. Service was excellent as our waiter was attentive but not intrusive. The dishes were served to us all within reasonable time intervals. Overall, it was a very very good (almost excellent) dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014We both enjoyed our appetizers, Shrimp and Carpaccio. However, my husband had to send back his cornish hen as it was underdone, my gnocchi was ok. We sat with our finished plates in front of us for at least 15 minutes before we finally had to ask to have them removed. We skipped dessert because we just wanted to leave.
- Great for ValentinesTimmyDDined on 2/14/2014A very nice restaurant for a special occasion such as valentines. The food was well presented with great flavours. loved the atmosphere and ambience, we will go againSpecial Features:
- Uneven Presentation DisappointsJohnDined on 2/14/2014Waiter lost interest in us when we did not order a bottle of wine. Martini tasted “watered down” as if it had been standing while the ice melted. Ravioli were ordinary. Dessert wine was charged at $12.00 when menu said $10.00] Cheese plate dessert seemed to hold very little and not much for the price [$18.00]. Canadian coffee was served lukewarm. On the plus side, Ahi tuna tartare and mushroom soup were very good as was the Chilean Sea Bass special for the evening. Nevertheless, we were disappointed and would not return or recommend this place because of its uneven presentation generally, notwithstanding its acceptable ambience and noise level. If you decide to try this place, be prepared for surprises not to your liking.
- The food was very good butTheodorVIPDined on 2/11/2014The food was very good but it should not take 35 minutes to get an appetizerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colleague's 15 year anniversaryDKTODined on 2/7/2014This was a great spot to celebrate a colleague's 15 year work anniversary. There were 8 of us and we had a beautiful side room all to ourselves! The decor and ambience was great and allowed me to say a few words of reflection and congratulations without a loud crowd drowning me out. It helped to thatour reservations were 11:45am, so we were a little ahead of the business crowd. Great wine, food and setting. Modus is the triple threat....and my best kept secret!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would definitely go back!IsabelleDined on 1/31/2014I thought the menu was a bit pricey but the food was excellent and that to me means it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and inattentiveWylieguyDined on 1/23/2014Was there for a business lunch. Our waiter was largely absent and had to be flagged to order wine, order meals, ask for pepper etc. After ordering wine, he finally came to take our order...Three of us selected fish, at which point he told us that the fresh fish delivery didn't come...I don't suppose it would have occurred to him when he gave us our menus and before i ordered the wine to mention this fact? The meals took quite some time to arrive at which point what was supposed to be a leisurely lunch turned into a rush as a result. Net net, the food itself was quite good, the ambiance itself pleasant but the service was inattentive and unprofessional...particularly when the tab is $100 a head.Special Features:
- Terrible Service for TwonorontfoodieDined on 1/23/2014I had lunch at Modus while in Toronto for business. I had a bad feeling as I detected a sneer from our waiter when we chose still water over sparkling water sold by the bottle. The antipasto was delicious and prompt. The pasta was delicious, but we waited for it for over an hour. No condiments were offered. Empty water glasses sat unattended for over 30 minutes. The half-hearted apology blaming the kitchen was a cold comfort (and untrue - I watched larger parties who arrived after us eat before us). I have eaten in the best restaurants in Toronto (including neighbors in the Financial District) and this was the worst service that I have received in recent memory. Perhaps I needed to put my Prada bag on display to get the waiter's attention.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal. My guestsEnjoygoodfoodDined on 1/16/2014Excellent Meal. My guests had pasta, seafood and lamb dishes All very well prepared and presented. Excellent choice of wine to pair with the meals. Great ambience in the restaurant. Service prompt and courteous. Overall great dining experience. One of my guests said it was the best meal she had in months. Kudos to the chefs and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchJoshDined on 1/14/2014Great place to take a customer for lunch. Upscale feel, professional and efficient service. Menu options for all tastes. Good food, well presented.Special Features:
- Excellent for a business lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/9/2014Pricey but food was very good. Service was efficient and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely spot and yummy foodDeliciousDined on 1/4/2014But the restaurant was empty. Not sure why. Food was delicious. Decor is lovely. Service was obviously perfect - only one other table to serve....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for a lunch with clients.AdamDined on 12/17/2013Went for a lunch with clients. Very busy and we were 10 minutes late but the table was ready and waiting. Service was a little slow, but the food was very good and it had a very good wine list. Overall a good experience.Special Features: