Modo Mio - Newport Coast
7946 East Coast Highway
Newport Coast, CA 92657Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Modo Mio - Newport Coast
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.modomiocucinarustica.com/
- Phone: (949) 497-9770
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wine
A word from Modo Mio - Newport Coast
Dining at Modo Mio is a delight, thanks to the efforts of owner Gian Franco Bertolino and his talented staff. While Modo Mio translates to my way, in Italian, Bertolino has infused his restaurant with his own standard of excellence. From the moment diners are greeted, as they enter the Newport Coast, California location, they are enveloped into a haven of warmth and hospitality. Bertolino and company are dedicated to creating and serving superb Northern Italian specialties, to their devoted clientele, in an ambiance that is both inviting and relaxing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Modo Mio - Newport Coast - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Modo Mio - Newport Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (21)scenic view (11)special occasion (9)great for lunch (9)romantic (8)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good food,service at a local"find".kaapenaarDined on 11/7/2014Busy Saturday night with attentive service and good food. A good local find with high noise level!. Especially great for lunch during the week when it is not so busySpecial Features:
- FoodgoodintensionsDined on 11/6/2014Excellent food with one exception.the recent servings of bread are more like White Bread which is tasteless and doesn't complement a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was a disasterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014we did not receive our appetizer until 40 minutes after ordering. the table next to us (who came after we arrived) were already done with their meal by the time our apps came. Waitress said that they would get us grated cheese, but never came back. The apps also came out cold. Main dish took another 20 minutes. There was also no sympathy for the bad service since we found out the waitress was also the manager. We do like this place, but think we are going to take a break for a while.Special Features:
- Vaca dinnerSharonFDined on 10/25/2014Good food..good service..nice touch mushrooms courtesy of the chef. Only thing to improve on was the bread. Good Italian food should be accompanied by good Italian bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently PERFECT!!Jim925Dined on 10/11/2014With family and friends we always have a delightful evening. Great food plus warm, friendly and professional customer service equals a relaxing and enjoyable time. Chef's specials are creative and delicious!! We will return again and again!!Special Features:
- Be early.winemeDined on 10/5/2014Good food, great location. Popular for sure. Bring your friends they will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...poor serviceIctdinerDined on 9/19/2014We have eaten here several times when we've been in town. Always enjoy the excellent food. Unfortunately, the service was poor on our last visit. Our server was pleasant, but dropped the ball on actual service. We ordered an appetizer that never showed up. He couldn't quite figure out why, but assured us we wouldn't have to pay for it. Very gracious!? Once the kitchen brought out our entrées, he disappeared. No refills on drinks or bread. Sometime after the table was cleared we had to flag down the manager to get a check. All in all it was a disappointing experience, although the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great discoverykaapenaarDined on 9/15/2014Have had pleasant dinners in this busy restaurant in the past.Always enjoyable,good food and good service. Lunch was a different experience.The restaurant is not easily accessible for business crowds,so it is quieter than at night,with an attractive lunch menu . Enjoyable meal with an opportunity to talk in a quiet spaceSpecial Features:
- Not bad, just nothing special.myreview2uVIPDined on 9/13/2014Average food, average dining experience, average service, all for above average pricing.
- Excellent neighborhood gemBillDDined on 9/13/2014A solid authentic Italian experience. Great menu, good wine list and very attentive service. Unlikely location in Crystal Cove Shopping Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Italian!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014Truly great Italian food - beautifully prepared & served.Special Features:
- Excellent Northern Italian cuisinemarchefanVIPDined on 9/7/2014Excellent northern Italian without the hype and "see and be seen" vibe of Javier's and Mastro's. Cathy and Lahleh are always attuned to the details of making this an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- DeliciousspicenlifeDined on 9/6/2014I was impressed with the high standard of fresh vegetables, herbs and spices used and tender meat. The mushrooms were perfectly cooked (firm yet tender) and presented with fantastic slight lemony herb sauce!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice8TUESDAYDINERSDined on 9/2/2014Had to re-order drink as bar tender prepared it incorrect. 3 meals were good - the 4th one not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- affordable family dinnerstudiocityphilDined on 8/29/2014we were quckly seated and had attentive service. they were able to accomodate gluten free and also vegitarian dinners in our group. we wrer also treated to off menu dinners as well. My sicilian chicken (an off menu dinner) was excellent - enough for 2 meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!!krasherDined on 8/28/2014It was too hot to stay home and cook so 4 of us went at the recommendation of the other couple. We are so glad we did! It was perfect. The food, so fresh, and the service, so attentive, were excellent and although it was a bit noisy, we didn't seem to mind. I know we will all return, soon and often. Thank you Modo Mio!Special Features:
- Wow againMushroomsDined on 8/25/2014Requested a special drink for my wife (on Open table Reservation Web Page) and the bartender went out and purchased the special pineapple mixer. Enjoyed the special complimentry mushroom appatizer. We never miss the chance to visit this secret spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Modo MioLovegoodfoodDined on 8/23/2014I had the meat lasagna with its super thin pasta, good beef and fresh tomato sauce around the edge. DELICIOUS ! My husband ordered the swordfish which was a thin cut, cooked perfectly with nice veggies and potatoes. We always love the thinly slice mushrooms with lemon and olive oil that are always put on our table as an appetizer. Always great service.Special Features:
- Great Northern Italian diningmarchefanVIPDined on 8/23/2014We love Modo Mio, and, as locals, eat here early most Saturday evenings. Managers Kathy and Laleh make sure that individual preferences are noted and met. The pasta specials are always an excellent meal, as is the veal. A far better choice than the other Crystal Cove "see and be seen" dining options.Special Features:
- 2nd time in a rowJemonfuVIPDined on 8/16/2014This may have been the last time we go to this neighborhood restaurant. The food is always great, but the service twice has been lacking. We waited 25 to have our order taken, and 60 to receive our dinner. It was nice that the chef sent some mushrooms as a pacifier (it would be nicer if I liked mushrooms), but seriously..... I like a leisurely dinner, but this was too long by far. We were lucky our out of town guests were able to wait to eat. We were embarrassed.
- Uncharacteristically Poor ServceOpentablefanVIPDined on 8/15/2014Modo mio is one of our favorites in the Newport Area. Always have had good food and pleasant service. This past time our server was really off. Slow, curt attitude (almost argumentative) and not attentive until the end of meal when the tip was in sight. Everyone has a bad night so we'll chalk it up to that but disappointing none the less.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We eat here every week!marchefanVIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent northern Italian cuisine, served with enthusiasm by Kathy, Lahleh, and staff. Pass on the tourist and the see and be seen crowd at Javier's and dine at Modo Mio instead.Special Features:
- Service DeclinesTheHVIPDined on 8/4/2014I love the food at Modo Mip but the service has constantly been the weak point. On our last visit the server appeared to be barley trained in the basics. It is getting tough to keep coming back for the food with an unprofessional staff
- fun findnwportluversDined on 8/2/2014This is the second year we have eaten here during our vacation and we weren't disappointed. We even had the same great waitress both times. Food was good. Bread was really good. We even had a view of the ocean. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 319 reviews are from the Modo Mio - Newport Coast reviews archive.
- Terrific ItalianRichardDined on 7/19/2014Modo Mio is our go to spot when we want a good Italian meal. It never disappoints, the whole family leaves happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oustanding Northern Italian CuisinemarchefanVIPDined on 7/19/2014Excellent reliable menu dishes, especially all varieties of ravioli, risotto, and veal, are complemented by superb salad, pasta, and fish specials. Staff are friendly and focused on great service. Make a reservation so you will not miss out.Special Features:
- A Good Neighborhood "Go To"MangiareVIPDined on 7/16/2014The food is fresh, well prepared, and reasonably priced. It is has proven to be a reliable, consistent restaurant over time.Special Features:
- TurnerDined on 7/12/2014Service was top notch and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- great ItalianSharmDined on 7/12/2014the food was wonderful outstanding specials their fresh bread in amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud with slow service.thewolf007Dined on 7/11/2014First time at Mode Mio and I am in no hurry to return. The place was packed and I suspect that they have a small kitchen because they were simply overwhelmed, it was chaotic and loud. It took over an hour to get our entrees, although the four of us all enjoyed our selections. The salmon was as tender as anything I have ever had, my wife had chicken that was marginal. The portions were ample. We had a $20 bottle of Italian red wine that was delicious and smooth. No time for dessert because we had been there over an hour and a half and we had to go to see our show. I had to track down our waitress for our check and our dinner. And I saw other diners looking around bewildered and abandoned by their waiters. Also, the place is WAY TOO LOUD!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed again!alanahVIPDined on 7/6/2014I keep going back to give it one more try. The food was the worst this time and the server was clueless!! Never again!
- Service was abomidableDisappointedDined on 7/5/2014We had been to Modo Mio a fair number of times over the last several years, and the food was always good and the service decent. This was the first time we had been then in a year, and the service was terrible, our waitress was robotic and it took us almost 1.5 hours to get our main course and then the food was only so so.
- Great food, w/ gluten free choiceszim1985Dined on 6/24/2014Went to celebrate graduation. Three on our party are gluten free. Fresh GF pasta, great risotto, and a GF dessert option as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MameVIPDined on 6/20/2014Third time we have eaten here. Our meals were okay but not the best of the three. Not greeted when we arrived, floor had debris on it, maybe we ordered something we didn't like as well. Will try again another visit.Special Features:
- Worst service and lousy foodPG13LAVIPDined on 5/31/2014This was a colossal failure. This is a restaurant that doesn't care a bit about customer satisfaction. The attitude is uppity, arrogant and condescending ... all comes from its prime location in Crystal Cove. The food is mediocre to inedible and place gets cramped like a can of sardines. AVOID AT ANY COST...
- Good meeting place...LindadelmarDined on 5/11/2014Good place to meet friends from LA for lunch but it was so noisy, the older members of our party won't be back.Special Features:
- luv2eatVIPDined on 5/4/2014We enjoyed the delicious food and outstanding service. We had chicken filled with spinach and cheese etc. and the ravioli which were both outstanding. The desert was also delicious. Our server provided excellent service and was very attentive to the diners needs.Special Features:
- Newport Coast's Italian GemTonyVIPDined on 5/2/2014Modo Mio always brings a smile to the face. From mentioning the name as a choice for dinner, through the savoring of each dish, the care and attention paid to food quality and presentation is always top notch. Specials, both on and OFF (wink) the menu are definitely MUSTS to try. The staff is always pleasant and accommodating and cocktails are well-prepared and amply served.Special Features:
- First visitwinemeDined on 4/16/2014Good experience, good food especially the fish dish and the pasta. Prompt and efficient service. Reasonable wine choices. Give it a try and get a window seat with and ocean view.Special Features:
- You won't be disappointed . . .FYI2Dined on 4/3/2014Short and sweet---a very good restaurant with a wide choice of menu selections and excellent service. Definitely worth a try.Special Features: