Modo Mio - Newport Coast
7946 East Coast Highway
Newport Coast, CA 92657Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Modo Mio - Newport Coast
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.modomiocucinarustica.com/
- Phone: 949-497-9770
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wine
A word from Modo Mio - Newport Coast
Dining at Modo Mio is a delight, thanks to the efforts of owner Gian Franco Bertolino and his talented staff. While Modo Mio translates to my way, in Italian, Bertolino has infused his restaurant with his own standard of excellence. From the moment diners are greeted, as they enter the Newport Coast, California location, they are enveloped into a haven of warmth and hospitality. Bertolino and company are dedicated to creating and serving superb Northern Italian specialties, to their devoted clientele, in an ambiance that is both inviting and relaxing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Modo Mio - Newport Coast - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Modo Mio - Newport Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (17)great for lunch (11)special occasion (9)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (4)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great discoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014Have had pleasant dinners in this busy restaurant in the past.Always enjoyable,good food and good service. Lunch was a different experience.The restaurant is not easily accessible for business crowds,so it is quieter than at night,with an attractive lunch menu . Enjoyable meal with an opportunity to talk in a quiet spaceSpecial Features:
- Excellent neighborhood gemBillDDined on 9/13/2014A solid authentic Italian experience. Great menu, good wine list and very attentive service. Unlikely location in Crystal Cove Shopping Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Italian!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014Truly great Italian food - beautifully prepared & served.Special Features:
- Excellent Northern Italian cuisinemarchefanVIPDined on 9/7/2014Excellent northern Italian without the hype and "see and be seen" vibe of Javier's and Mastro's. Cathy and Lahleh are always attuned to the details of making this an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- DeliciousspicenlifeDined on 9/6/2014I was impressed with the high standard of fresh vegetables, herbs and spices used and tender meat. The mushrooms were perfectly cooked (firm yet tender) and presented with fantastic slight lemony herb sauce!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice8TUESDAYDINERSDined on 9/2/2014Had to re-order drink as bar tender prepared it incorrect. 3 meals were good - the 4th one not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- affordable family dinnerstudiocityphilDined on 8/29/2014we were quckly seated and had attentive service. they were able to accomodate gluten free and also vegitarian dinners in our group. we wrer also treated to off menu dinners as well. My sicilian chicken (an off menu dinner) was excellent - enough for 2 meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!!krasherDined on 8/28/2014It was too hot to stay home and cook so 4 of us went at the recommendation of the other couple. We are so glad we did! It was perfect. The food, so fresh, and the service, so attentive, were excellent and although it was a bit noisy, we didn't seem to mind. I know we will all return, soon and often. Thank you Modo Mio!Special Features:
- Wow againMushroomsDined on 8/25/2014Requested a special drink for my wife (on Open table Reservation Web Page) and the bartender went out and purchased the special pineapple mixer. Enjoyed the special complimentry mushroom appatizer. We never miss the chance to visit this secret spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Modo MioLovegoodfoodDined on 8/23/2014I had the meat lasagna with its super thin pasta, good beef and fresh tomato sauce around the edge. DELICIOUS ! My husband ordered the swordfish which was a thin cut, cooked perfectly with nice veggies and potatoes. We always love the thinly slice mushrooms with lemon and olive oil that are always put on our table as an appetizer. Always great service.Special Features:
- Great Northern Italian diningmarchefanVIPDined on 8/23/2014We love Modo Mio, and, as locals, eat here early most Saturday evenings. Managers Kathy and Laleh make sure that individual preferences are noted and met. The pasta specials are always an excellent meal, as is the veal. A far better choice than the other Crystal Cove "see and be seen" dining options.Special Features:
- 2nd time in a rowJemonfuVIPDined on 8/16/2014This may have been the last time we go to this neighborhood restaurant. The food is always great, but the service twice has been lacking. We waited 25 to have our order taken, and 60 to receive our dinner. It was nice that the chef sent some mushrooms as a pacifier (it would be nicer if I liked mushrooms), but seriously..... I like a leisurely dinner, but this was too long by far. We were lucky our out of town guests were able to wait to eat. We were embarrassed.
- Uncharacteristically Poor ServceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/15/2014Modo mio is one of our favorites in the Newport Area. Always have had good food and pleasant service. This past time our server was really off. Slow, curt attitude (almost argumentative) and not attentive until the end of meal when the tip was in sight. Everyone has a bad night so we'll chalk it up to that but disappointing none the less.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We eat here every week!marchefanVIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent northern Italian cuisine, served with enthusiasm by Kathy, Lahleh, and staff. Pass on the tourist and the see and be seen crowd at Javier's and dine at Modo Mio instead.Special Features:
- Service DeclinesTheHVIPDined on 8/4/2014I love the food at Modo Mip but the service has constantly been the weak point. On our last visit the server appeared to be barley trained in the basics. It is getting tough to keep coming back for the food with an unprofessional staff
- fun findnwportluversDined on 8/2/2014This is the second year we have eaten here during our vacation and we weren't disappointed. We even had the same great waitress both times. Food was good. Bread was really good. We even had a view of the ocean. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific ItalianRichardDined on 7/19/2014Modo Mio is our go to spot when we want a good Italian meal. It never disappoints, the whole family leaves happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oustanding Northern Italian CuisinemarchefanVIPDined on 7/19/2014Excellent reliable menu dishes, especially all varieties of ravioli, risotto, and veal, are complemented by superb salad, pasta, and fish specials. Staff are friendly and focused on great service. Make a reservation so you will not miss out.Special Features:
- A Good Neighborhood "Go To"MangiareVIPDined on 7/16/2014The food is fresh, well prepared, and reasonably priced. It is has proven to be a reliable, consistent restaurant over time.Special Features:
- TurnerDined on 7/12/2014Service was top notch and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- great ItalianSharmDined on 7/12/2014the food was wonderful outstanding specials their fresh bread in amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud with slow service.thewolf007Dined on 7/11/2014First time at Mode Mio and I am in no hurry to return. The place was packed and I suspect that they have a small kitchen because they were simply overwhelmed, it was chaotic and loud. It took over an hour to get our entrees, although the four of us all enjoyed our selections. The salmon was as tender as anything I have ever had, my wife had chicken that was marginal. The portions were ample. We had a $20 bottle of Italian red wine that was delicious and smooth. No time for dessert because we had been there over an hour and a half and we had to go to see our show. I had to track down our waitress for our check and our dinner. And I saw other diners looking around bewildered and abandoned by their waiters. Also, the place is WAY TOO LOUD!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed again!alanahVIPDined on 7/6/2014I keep going back to give it one more try. The food was the worst this time and the server was clueless!! Never again!
- Service was abomidableDisappointedDined on 7/5/2014We had been to Modo Mio a fair number of times over the last several years, and the food was always good and the service decent. This was the first time we had been then in a year, and the service was terrible, our waitress was robotic and it took us almost 1.5 hours to get our main course and then the food was only so so.
- Great food, w/ gluten free choiceszim1985Dined on 6/24/2014Went to celebrate graduation. Three on our party are gluten free. Fresh GF pasta, great risotto, and a GF dessert option as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MameVIPDined on 6/20/2014Third time we have eaten here. Our meals were okay but not the best of the three. Not greeted when we arrived, floor had debris on it, maybe we ordered something we didn't like as well. Will try again another visit.Special Features:
- Worst service and lousy foodPG13LAVIPDined on 5/31/2014This was a colossal failure. This is a restaurant that doesn't care a bit about customer satisfaction. The attitude is uppity, arrogant and condescending ... all comes from its prime location in Crystal Cove. The food is mediocre to inedible and place gets cramped like a can of sardines. AVOID AT ANY COST...
- The following 308 reviews are from the Modo Mio - Newport Coast reviews archive.
- Good meeting place...LindadelmarDined on 5/11/2014Good place to meet friends from LA for lunch but it was so noisy, the older members of our party won't be back.Special Features:
- luv2eatVIPDined on 5/4/2014We enjoyed the delicious food and outstanding service. We had chicken filled with spinach and cheese etc. and the ravioli which were both outstanding. The desert was also delicious. Our server provided excellent service and was very attentive to the diners needs.Special Features:
- Newport Coast's Italian GemTonyVIPDined on 5/2/2014Modo Mio always brings a smile to the face. From mentioning the name as a choice for dinner, through the savoring of each dish, the care and attention paid to food quality and presentation is always top notch. Specials, both on and OFF (wink) the menu are definitely MUSTS to try. The staff is always pleasant and accommodating and cocktails are well-prepared and amply served.Special Features:
- First visitwinemeDined on 4/16/2014Good experience, good food especially the fish dish and the pasta. Prompt and efficient service. Reasonable wine choices. Give it a try and get a window seat with and ocean view.Special Features:
- You won't be disappointed . . .FYI2Dined on 4/3/2014Short and sweet---a very good restaurant with a wide choice of menu selections and excellent service. Definitely worth a try.Special Features:
- I had been here before, severalenjoyeatingoutDined on 3/29/2014I had been here before, several times and enjoyed the food, but this time we did not. We ordered the same thing that we have ordered in the past and it just want as good, food needed seasoning.
- Delicious Italian!Live4DiningDined on 3/25/2014If you want fresh Italian, come to Modo Mio. The sauces are the best! Everything we have ever had at Modo Mio has been delicious. Truly a neighborhood find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemTravisBickleDined on 3/22/2014Terrific Italian food. Moderate prices. Conversation-friendly noise level. Friendly service. White table cloth, but not at all stuffy.Special Features:
- Poor service :-(DatenightDined on 3/15/2014The service was terrible the night we went! There was only one waitress handling half of the restaurant. There was no manager on the clock yet to even help her or talk to about the situation. She forgot our drinks, the food was late getting out, and we had to wait forever for the bill. There was no follow through. :-( You really need to have more than one waitress on a Saturday night handling half of the restaurant. The poor lady couldn't even manage half of her tables because it was a full house. She was a good waitress, but she did a terrible job because she was overwhelmed and spread too thin. Our food came out late, she forgot our drinks, and it took forever to get the bill.Special Features:
- AwesomeJulesDined on 3/9/2014I was down in Newport Beach visiting my sister and she suggested this restaurant. I thought it was really good. I was just down in Newport again for a business trip and decided to bring some guests there. I was craving something with a pesto sauce which they didn't really have on the menu. They made me up a special entree which was just awesome. I love how they went that extra step so I could have what I was craving!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a three hour dinnerLawyerFoodieVIPDined on 3/7/2014I had a three hour dinner here on Friday night with a friend and we had such a wonderful time! The appetizers, wine, and pastas were fabulous. Service was great. The tartufo for dessert was so-so but otherwise the meal was fantastic. I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a great pasta-experience!Special Features:
- Food here is great, ThisisBeastVIPDined on 3/2/2014Food here is great, Thisis visit the vongole was a slight exception and was a bit fishy. Everything else was fabulous and the service really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was a bit slow dueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2014Service was a bit slow due to: - a larger table next door - lack (not enough) of service personnelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.