5257 Shaw Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.modestotapas.com/
- Phone: 3147728272x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Happy Hour (bar and patio):
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Pan-Latin tapas specials and $5 Traditional mojitos all night
1/2 Price Wine Wednesday's
(1 bottle per table, $40 min. food purchase)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Chef Carlos Hernandez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The staff at Modesto Tapas Bar and Restaurant will be happy to cater your special event. Call (314)772-8272 for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Brendan Marsden (314) 772-8272x
A word from Modesto
Modesto Tapas Bar and Restaurant is St. Louis' first Spanish tapas restaurant. Tapas are a time-honored and cherished part of Spanish cuisine. The tapa (from the verb tapar - to cover) originally was a slice of bread or cured ham placed over the mouth of a wine glass. As the popularity of the custom grew, so did the variety. In Spain, tapas are much more than a culinary delight - they represent a lifestyle - an opportunity to share good times with friends in an unrushed, carefree manner. At Modesto guests are encouraged to do the same.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Modesto - Best Restaurants in The Hill ›
Modesto reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (43)special occasion (40)good for groups (30)romantic (30)hot spot (18)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Will be backSusanDined on 10/17/2014Interesting mix of tapas. Unusual drinks. Great service from Megan. I only wish that that vegetable options were less frequently fried. However, we were happy to eat the meats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!NashvilleNewbieDined on 10/17/2014I haven't been to Modesto in years and it was even better than I rememe. The service was great and the wine and tapas were outstanding. We had an 6pm reservation on a Friday night and it was practically empty when we arrived. But by 8pm the place was packed and a definite hot spot to be! I will not wait so long before I return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!Katie28Dined on 10/10/2014I went with my family, which included two kids under the age of 10. The food was amazing and there was something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingToughbutfairDined on 10/3/2014We chose Modesto for something new, what a poor choice. From the tasteless sangria that had a few pieces of fruit tossed on the top (that weren't even pink from absorbing the wine) to the undercooked flatbread that tasted like it was from a rolled out can of dough (the put it back in the oven and returned our partially eaten meal) to the burnt and chewy eggplant and the inconsistently cooked and tough lamb we will never go back and would suggest others don't even bother. Our server didn't know the food menu or the wine list. Complete failure on Modesto's part to provide even a decent experience.
- St. Louis "Jewel of The Hill"Stever65Dined on 10/2/2014This place is truly a exceptional find...The ambiance is very relaxing, but not too quiet...just enough mild noise to give the place an atmosphere of people having a really enjoyable meal in a well-run restaurant. Service is exceptional, very responsive (but not overly-attentive), always available with recommendations on both food and drink, and striving to make the experience delightful. The food...ahhhh the food...every tapa that we tried was excellent, but some standouts included the rabbit on puff pastry and the "pulpo" (baby octopus). I've also sampled several recommended wines and found them delicious. The mixed drinks are unique, and the beer selection is good for a non-brewpub. Good deals for Happy Hour too! A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing modest about Modesto!KUSHARKDined on 9/20/2014Great tapas restaurant. Their tres leches desert was very good, but their bread pudding was the best I've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!Aflh2oVIPDined on 9/19/2014Had another great meal. The peppers stuffed with chicken and chorizo were outstanding!Special Features:
- Tapas in an Italian NeighborhoodPaulVIPDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant is in the Italian "Hill" Section of St. Louis. The location has adequate parking next door and across the street. We sat in the bar area. The wine list is rounded with various Spanish and South American vintners at an average price point. We ordered the Kale salad and noted the Kale was chewy and could have used a momentary flash on the grill. The feta fried cheese balls were nice. The Lobster Empanada was excellent but the dough portion was much more than the lobster filling, needs to have either less dough or more filling for that portion size. The Calamari was a mix of whole calamari and tentacle rounds. The former were rubbery but the latter very good. It was a good dining experience in an established dining mecca area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrLydiaGrayVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our server was fantastic and so was the wine, but the pallea, seafood salad, pulpo and ham were not good. Won't be back anytime soon.
- ReviewXman1026Dined on 9/1/2014Food was OK...not too tasty. Definitely an adult-themed restaurant. Would not go back.Special Features:
- Quality of food has worsened.DisappointedDined on 8/30/2014We have been going to Modestos on and off for 10 years and this is the first time that the food has made us not want to go back to this restaurant. We have tried other tapas places like Barcelona and have always returned to Modestos until now. Was ver disappointed.Special Features:
- ModestoMikeBDined on 8/26/2014Always enjoy the tapas. And the happy hour bites were greatSpecial Features:
- Flamenco nightsusieqDined on 8/25/2014This was my first experience at this restaurant and I wasn't disappointed. My husband and I tried 2 of the tapas and ordered the paella with chicken along with a glass of sangria. We've never had Spanish food and found the exotic entrees very tasty. We will visit again sometime.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinnerluv2dineDined on 8/16/2014We made a reservation for 7:30 and they were packed took 20 minutes to seat us. The wonderful owner felt so made he gave us a a free plate of whatever we want very nice guy. Our waitress recommend the calamari since it comes out fast it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEfoodie49Dined on 8/15/2014Food was amazing. I will definitely be back to try more dishes. I was with a party of 7 and our waitress did a great job serving us and keeping us very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modesto on a weeknightmoderatefoodieDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed an uncrowded restaurant on a lovely summer weeknight. Our server, Lisa, was excellent, providing us with great information on menu items as well as ordering guidance. The food was very good and satisfying. We were also treated to a slice of birthday cake which fit our reason for dining out. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modesto almost the bestokcbsailDined on 8/8/2014Appetizer of crab fritters were excellent, the highlight of the meal. Shared regular paella which was good, not great, would try the full seafood version next time. Sangria was above average and worth the second glass, Make Modesto a destination, thinking you will enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was goodtastymagazineDined on 8/8/2014Nothing about the food was super incredible. If you are in the area and looking for a good lunch spot, it may work. Nothing was new, nothing seemed incredible, nothing was worth ordering again on another visit. Also, we had a trainer training a server. We sat at a two person table and were sandwiched on both sides by the trainer and traineee. Very awkward.
- ModestoNancwaherndonDined on 8/6/2014Hadn't experienced tapas before. Each plate was better than the last! It was all very good and brought out promptly! Kale was a great server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packed night...jEcEaTsDined on 8/5/2014Been to Modesto before and had a great experience! This time, although it was really crowded, our food still came out really quick and was delicious but our waitress was lacking. She was really slow and not very personable. They had changed the Manu as well so several of my favorites were no longer being served. Overall, it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Birthday Bibge!DaveNdanaDined on 7/23/2014Took my friend out on an early birthday treat to Modesto's. Everything was great: service, food choices, ambience and dessert! The Rioja was a great compliment to all of our tapas selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!TeamWRDined on 7/19/2014We were visiting St. Louis while on vacation and Modesto was the perfect place for our date night! We literally closed the place down! :) We enjoyed delicious tapas and great wine. Highly recommend for anyone looking for a night out!Special Features:
- New favorite place!AlethiaDined on 7/19/2014Great atmosphere! Food was delicious. Each tapas plate was better than the last (except for the pork belly - very tough)! Good for vegetarians and meat lovers alike. This is a great place for a date night or an adult celebration - I wouldn't bring children as there is a lot of activity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014This was our 4th time at Modesto's and we have not been disappointed. Always good food and they keep favorites on the while adding new items. Always a good place to get something different and exciting.Special Features:
- Great meal and ServiceSTLfoodloverDined on 7/15/2014We had a small group for dinner. The restaurant honored our reservation and we were seated promptly. One in our party had significant food allergies and our server went above and beyond the call of duty to identify the ingredients in different meal offerings so that she could choose wisely. All four of us had great meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place!IhearttapasDined on 7/14/2014I get to Modestos a few times a year and it is always excellent! The Bistec a las cabrales is so amazing! I never skip the paella. It's nice to see some of the best things still on the menu and a few changes as well! Great wine, great food! Love the Tres Leches! I tell everyone how great Modesto is! Will come in more often!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014WE just to enjoy go there hmm I feel service has changed not so friendly any more.. the food was ok. Felt very rushed rushed.
- love this restaurantmusicfaninmoDined on 7/3/2014Only rated lower this time because they ran out of basic bar ingredients for some mixed drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tapaspaulajeanVIPDined on 7/1/2014We love all the delicious tapas at Modesto and it is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Entertaininglovemyfish55VIPDined on 6/30/2014We went on Monday to see The Flamingo Dancing, it was great. The food was very good, all small plates, so we ordered several different things. The stuffed dates wrapped in bacon was really a hit, and the bread pudding was yummy to say the least. Our server was a very sweet girl who recommended various dishes, that were also great. A nice and different experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not greatLIVESEAVEGDined on 6/28/2014The service wAS GOOD BUT THE FOOD WAS JUST OK. THE PAELLA WAS NOT GOOD BUT PRICED TO BE GOOD-NOT MUCH SEAFOOD OR FLACOR IN THE DEL MAR. tHE OTHER DISHES WERE FAIR. tHE EMPANADA CRUST WAS GREAT..
- Wonderful!EffieEatsDined on 6/28/2014This was our first time...we will definitely be back. All food was great, nice presentation. Food came out in stages, even all the small plates were spread out so we could really appreciate each dish and nothing got cold. It was a bit more expensive than we originally expected but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DateGrandtravelDined on 6/27/2014We spent time in Spain for our 20th Wedding Anniversary and we loved the food. So we wanted to capture that feeling again, so Modesto was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening of fun for groupfussbudgetDined on 6/26/2014Tasting and sharing make entertainment out of a meal. We were a party of 7 wanting time to talk between courses. Only one bottle of featured wine available, but we found another variety excellent for 2 more bottles. Small plates were generally excellent. Especially liked stuffed peppers and lamb sausage. Also mussels on special. Server knew her menu and was cheerful and accommodating. It is noisy, however. Hate to have to shout to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 935 reviews are from the Modesto reviews archive.
- Delicious paella!Gumbo57Dined on 6/21/2014Did not try the tapas small plates, because I wanted paella--but the small plates passing by LOOKED delicious. The paella was excellent, as was the ensalata mixto for a starter. Nice wine selection. Only downside was a screaming child two tables over, but we were dining early (not so likely later in the evening), plus that is not really the restaurant's fault. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Tapas.LuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 6/14/2014Early Father's Day celebration at Modesto Saturday night with our son, his fiancée Fay, and our grandson, Aiden. It's not the quietest restaurant but food and service were great! They did not have our reservation correct though which I addressed earlier in the day at the confirmation call. They didn't attend to it so we had to scramble for another chair when we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous space, excellent food!Norabbitfood4meDined on 5/23/2014Modesto offers traditional Spanish tapas nested in a traditionally Italian neighborhood. Its offerings are extensive and interesting. As a vegetarian, I had several options to choose from. We tried the fried cauliflower in truffle oil (a must-have!), the grilled asparagus (nice), the tortilla espanola (could use a more garlicky aioli), and the baked goat cheese (neither wonderful nor terrible). I will definitely head back to try some other options (and for that cauliflower...mmm, that cauliflower). The ambiance is lovely -- great for a date or a get together with friends. Be aware that they permit smoking on the patio, so if you don't enjoy eau de tobacco with your fine dining, request an inside table. Overall, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun and service!VeronicaDined on 5/23/2014So much fun and the food is incredible! Something different on The Hill for sure. Definitely recommend. Our server was helpful and the bartender knowledgeable. Just GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant!LizaDined on 5/16/2014From the first time I discovered Modesto by accident, it's been my favorite place to eat. The menu is varied and superb, the staff is always friendly, helpful and attentive. My most recent visit was for my anniversary, and it was perfect! I will go back again and again to this stand out restaurant.Special Features:
- Food was fab!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014I love Modesto. The paella, avocado salad, cauliflower, empanadillas were all delicious! We are vegetarians and had plenty of choices. I recommend this restaurant!Special Features: