5257 Shaw Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.modestotapas.com/
- Phone: 3147728272x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Happy Hour (bar and patio):
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Pan-Latin tapas specials and $5 Traditional mojitos all night
1/2 Price Wine Wednesday's
(1 bottle per table, $40 min. food purchase)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Chef Carlos Hernandez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The staff at Modesto Tapas Bar and Restaurant will be happy to cater your special event. Call (314)772-8272 for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Brendan Marsden (314) 772-8272x
A word from Modesto
Modesto Tapas Bar and Restaurant is St. Louis' first Spanish tapas restaurant. Tapas are a time-honored and cherished part of Spanish cuisine. The tapa (from the verb tapar - to cover) originally was a slice of bread or cured ham placed over the mouth of a wine glass. As the popularity of the custom grew, so did the variety. In Spain, tapas are much more than a culinary delight - they represent a lifestyle - an opportunity to share good times with friends in an unrushed, carefree manner. At Modesto guests are encouraged to do the same.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Modesto - Best Restaurants in The Hill ›
Modesto reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (44)special occasion (42)good for groups (32)romantic (28)notable wine list (18)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (12)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (9)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Quality of food has worsened.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We have been going to Modestos on and off for 10 years and this is the first time that the food has made us not want to go back to this restaurant. We have tried other tapas places like Barcelona and have always returned to Modestos until now. Was ver disappointed.Special Features:
- ModestoMikeBDined on 8/26/2014Always enjoy the tapas. And the happy hour bites were greatSpecial Features:
- Flamenco nightsusieqDined on 8/25/2014This was my first experience at this restaurant and I wasn't disappointed. My husband and I tried 2 of the tapas and ordered the paella with chicken along with a glass of sangria. We've never had Spanish food and found the exotic entrees very tasty. We will visit again sometime.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinnerluv2dineDined on 8/16/2014We made a reservation for 7:30 and they were packed took 20 minutes to seat us. The wonderful owner felt so made he gave us a a free plate of whatever we want very nice guy. Our waitress recommend the calamari since it comes out fast it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEfoodie49Dined on 8/15/2014Food was amazing. I will definitely be back to try more dishes. I was with a party of 7 and our waitress did a great job serving us and keeping us very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modesto on a weeknightmoderatefoodieDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed an uncrowded restaurant on a lovely summer weeknight. Our server, Lisa, was excellent, providing us with great information on menu items as well as ordering guidance. The food was very good and satisfying. We were also treated to a slice of birthday cake which fit our reason for dining out. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modesto almost the bestokcbsailDined on 8/8/2014Appetizer of crab fritters were excellent, the highlight of the meal. Shared regular paella which was good, not great, would try the full seafood version next time. Sangria was above average and worth the second glass, Make Modesto a destination, thinking you will enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was goodtastymagazineDined on 8/8/2014Nothing about the food was super incredible. If you are in the area and looking for a good lunch spot, it may work. Nothing was new, nothing seemed incredible, nothing was worth ordering again on another visit. Also, we had a trainer training a server. We sat at a two person table and were sandwiched on both sides by the trainer and traineee. Very awkward.
- ModestoNancwaherndonDined on 8/6/2014Hadn't experienced tapas before. Each plate was better than the last! It was all very good and brought out promptly! Kale was a great server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packed night...jEcEaTsDined on 8/5/2014Been to Modesto before and had a great experience! This time, although it was really crowded, our food still came out really quick and was delicious but our waitress was lacking. She was really slow and not very personable. They had changed the Manu as well so several of my favorites were no longer being served. Overall, it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Birthday Bibge!DaveNdanaDined on 7/23/2014Took my friend out on an early birthday treat to Modesto's. Everything was great: service, food choices, ambience and dessert! The Rioja was a great compliment to all of our tapas selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!TeamWRDined on 7/19/2014We were visiting St. Louis while on vacation and Modesto was the perfect place for our date night! We literally closed the place down! :) We enjoyed delicious tapas and great wine. Highly recommend for anyone looking for a night out!Special Features:
- New favorite place!AlethiaDined on 7/19/2014Great atmosphere! Food was delicious. Each tapas plate was better than the last (except for the pork belly - very tough)! Good for vegetarians and meat lovers alike. This is a great place for a date night or an adult celebration - I wouldn't bring children as there is a lot of activity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014This was our 4th time at Modesto's and we have not been disappointed. Always good food and they keep favorites on the while adding new items. Always a good place to get something different and exciting.Special Features:
- Great meal and ServiceSTLfoodloverDined on 7/15/2014We had a small group for dinner. The restaurant honored our reservation and we were seated promptly. One in our party had significant food allergies and our server went above and beyond the call of duty to identify the ingredients in different meal offerings so that she could choose wisely. All four of us had great meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place!IhearttapasDined on 7/14/2014I get to Modestos a few times a year and it is always excellent! The Bistec a las cabrales is so amazing! I never skip the paella. It's nice to see some of the best things still on the menu and a few changes as well! Great wine, great food! Love the Tres Leches! I tell everyone how great Modesto is! Will come in more often!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014WE just to enjoy go there hmm I feel service has changed not so friendly any more.. the food was ok. Felt very rushed rushed.
- love this restaurantmusicfaninmoDined on 7/3/2014Only rated lower this time because they ran out of basic bar ingredients for some mixed drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tapaspaulajeanVIPDined on 7/1/2014We love all the delicious tapas at Modesto and it is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Entertaininglovemyfish55VIPDined on 6/30/2014We went on Monday to see The Flamingo Dancing, it was great. The food was very good, all small plates, so we ordered several different things. The stuffed dates wrapped in bacon was really a hit, and the bread pudding was yummy to say the least. Our server was a very sweet girl who recommended various dishes, that were also great. A nice and different experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not greatLIVESEAVEGDined on 6/28/2014The service wAS GOOD BUT THE FOOD WAS JUST OK. THE PAELLA WAS NOT GOOD BUT PRICED TO BE GOOD-NOT MUCH SEAFOOD OR FLACOR IN THE DEL MAR. tHE OTHER DISHES WERE FAIR. tHE EMPANADA CRUST WAS GREAT..
- Wonderful!EffieEatsDined on 6/28/2014This was our first time...we will definitely be back. All food was great, nice presentation. Food came out in stages, even all the small plates were spread out so we could really appreciate each dish and nothing got cold. It was a bit more expensive than we originally expected but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DateGrandtravelDined on 6/27/2014We spent time in Spain for our 20th Wedding Anniversary and we loved the food. So we wanted to capture that feeling again, so Modesto was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening of fun for groupfussbudgetDined on 6/26/2014Tasting and sharing make entertainment out of a meal. We were a party of 7 wanting time to talk between courses. Only one bottle of featured wine available, but we found another variety excellent for 2 more bottles. Small plates were generally excellent. Especially liked stuffed peppers and lamb sausage. Also mussels on special. Server knew her menu and was cheerful and accommodating. It is noisy, however. Hate to have to shout to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious paella!Gumbo57Dined on 6/21/2014Did not try the tapas small plates, because I wanted paella--but the small plates passing by LOOKED delicious. The paella was excellent, as was the ensalata mixto for a starter. Nice wine selection. Only downside was a screaming child two tables over, but we were dining early (not so likely later in the evening), plus that is not really the restaurant's fault. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Tapas.LuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 6/14/2014Early Father's Day celebration at Modesto Saturday night with our son, his fiancée Fay, and our grandson, Aiden. It's not the quietest restaurant but food and service were great! They did not have our reservation correct though which I addressed earlier in the day at the confirmation call. They didn't attend to it so we had to scramble for another chair when we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous space, excellent food!Norabbitfood4meDined on 5/23/2014Modesto offers traditional Spanish tapas nested in a traditionally Italian neighborhood. Its offerings are extensive and interesting. As a vegetarian, I had several options to choose from. We tried the fried cauliflower in truffle oil (a must-have!), the grilled asparagus (nice), the tortilla espanola (could use a more garlicky aioli), and the baked goat cheese (neither wonderful nor terrible). I will definitely head back to try some other options (and for that cauliflower...mmm, that cauliflower). The ambiance is lovely -- great for a date or a get together with friends. Be aware that they permit smoking on the patio, so if you don't enjoy eau de tobacco with your fine dining, request an inside table. Overall, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun and service!VeronicaDined on 5/23/2014So much fun and the food is incredible! Something different on The Hill for sure. Definitely recommend. Our server was helpful and the bartender knowledgeable. Just GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant!LizaDined on 5/16/2014From the first time I discovered Modesto by accident, it's been my favorite place to eat. The menu is varied and superb, the staff is always friendly, helpful and attentive. My most recent visit was for my anniversary, and it was perfect! I will go back again and again to this stand out restaurant.Special Features:
- Food was fab!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014I love Modesto. The paella, avocado salad, cauliflower, empanadillas were all delicious! We are vegetarians and had plenty of choices. I recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- much to celebrategoodTIMEatMODESTODined on 5/9/2014Modesto creates a perfect ambiance to visit and celebrate with family / friends. It is a great feeling to share food and conversation over time and not feel rushed with either. Great wine too ! And very nice gluten free selection. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 928 reviews are from the Modesto reviews archive.
- Just Fun!funtimeDined on 5/3/2014Love the food, ambience, service was perfect, sangria and paella were the best in town. It is just a great place to go to have a wonderful meal for something different!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but need to plan mealEricVIPDined on 4/19/2014Tapas create the challenge of planning which dishes go together well. Random picks of what reads as good, don't necessarily mix well with the palate. Most dishes were tasty; some were too hot, some needed a little spice, some were too oily. Dessert was interesting but had too strong a taste of sesame and burnt torta.
- Great foodBarbDined on 4/19/2014Lots of variety and great food. Also like the changing menu. Disappointing service but it might be limited to just our waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeficienciesThadDined on 4/18/2014The goat cheese with tomato paste was sad. And when one advertises goat cheese, they expect more. The paeilla, while flavorful, was overcooked and did not seem to have hardly ANY of the seafood listed on the menu. I feel like I got simply ripped off on that one. The calamari is good, your citrus shrimp salad is good, your mixed mushrooms are okay, the (red) wine was good, the lamb was excellent and prepared perfectly (kudos), and the bread pudding was impressive. Just such lame paella (del mar)! Huge let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be a regular1stTimeDined on 4/14/2014Pleasantly surprised by a flamenco show. Had well made drinks at the bar. Ordered several tapas that were all very good. Next time we will be more strategic with our ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank goodness!honestjonDined on 4/12/2014This restaurant is great. For anyone who has lived in other cities in the US, you will be hard pressed to find decent restaurants in St Louis. (St louisians think their restaurants are great but that is because they have no other comparisons since they have never been any where else but St Louis). Great menu selection, decent pricing, eclectic wine menu, decore has a good vibe to it. We dined with another couple and among the 4 of us we ordered a total of 10 dishes (remember this is a tapas menu so think appetizers for everything). All 10 scored an A.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteWhatdapintDined on 4/12/2014The wife and I love to hit up Modesto whenever we get the chance. Dinner before The St. Louis Symphony presents Ben Folds show presented the perfect occasion. As always the food was great and the sangria roja was superb. We both highly recommend saving room to split the Cinnamon ice cream and bread pudding topped off with a espresso. I guess our only complaint is how they did the seating. We were the first people to be seated for the evening. The next two groups that came in were seated right next to us. Why not spread it out some at the beginning of the night when it is still very quiet in the establishment? This wasn't a deal breaker but it was rather awkward until the room started to fill with background noise (approx. 40min).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HighlightsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014Excellent food. Be sure to try the sangria and the dessert (both the braes pudding and churro a are outstanding).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For my first time...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2014We had a group of 6 celebrating a birthday. When I made this reservation I noted for the server to do something special and also noted it to the hostess when we arrived. Unfortunely it was not communicated to our server. I think our server was somwhat new. It took a very long time for our server to first address us to ask for our drinks. We were sat in a little cubby so maybe we were out if sight out of mind. The good was good it's just the service was not that great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.