1 Page Ave STE 138B
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.modestonc.com/
- Phone: 8282254133x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Hector Diaz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Modesto Trattoria
Led by chef and owner Hector Diaz, Modesto features a farm to table approach to upscale wood-fired Italian. The menu changes twice daily and includes a variety of fresh seafood, fine meats, and house made pastas. Pizzas are hand-tossed and cooked in a wood fired oven made in Italy. To compliment your meal, our bar offers over 30 exclusively Italian wines as well as a dynamic list of classic and cutting edge cocktails. Desserts are made from scratch, including our famous tiramisu, and we proudly serve 1000 Faces Coffee.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Modesto Trattoria - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Modesto Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)great for outdoor dining (32)neighborhood gem (21)notable wine list (15)special occasion (14)great for lunch (9)romantic (8)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent ItalianvodkaontapDined on 9/12/2014Very good selection - nice mixture of food. Fabulous serviceSpecial Features:
- ModestoKeithVIPDined on 9/9/2014We probably eat at Modesto once a week and every time has been a great experience. The ability to offer dished cooked on a wood fire oven produces some great tasting dishes. Their tiramisu is best we've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thank youEarthstarDined on 9/5/2014food was great, enjoyable exp would return, nice flavor of thyme and fennel, good uses of local produce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/30/2014Pasta was good. Server was very helpful in choosing items. the wood grilled pizza had great flavor.
- Wonderful FoodLittleVIPDined on 8/26/2014Ate lunch here and had the best chop salad I have ever had. Husband had caesar which was equally as good. Ate outside which was beautiful. Also had the margarita pizza which was the best I have ever had. Would go back in a minute. Had a great server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Up To Standard1enzoculinariDined on 8/25/2014My wife and I have been to Modesto on previous occasions, and have greatly enjoyed the experience. Our recent visit was disappointing overall. She ate the "Fungo" (Wild Mushroom) pasta dish, which was bland and essentially unsalted. I ate the eggplant parmigiana, which was flavorful, although "anemic" in terms of the small amount of eggplant that came with the dish. The bread that was served was dry and tasteless. Our server, while friendly and knowledgeable, seemed like he was more interested in selling than being present to our table. All this for a relatively high price (by Asheville standards) is not motivating us for a return visit.
- Fresh, Fabulous alfresco AshevilleOICU812Dined on 8/22/2014Outstanding wood fire grilled octopus and red peppers. Asheville weird and wonderful. Gotta try the tiramisu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteLoriDined on 8/16/2014Modesto is one of my favorite Asheville restaurants. Menu changes daily and food is always excellent. Service this night was tops. The waiter made good recommendations and was very knowledgeable of the menu. We sat outside on a lovely evening and lots of interesting things going on. I really recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous foodAB2014Dined on 8/16/2014We were not disappointed in any way. Our meal was wonderful and our waiter didn't rush us at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their homemade pastaHastyDined on 8/15/2014The wood fired salad is off the chain. Can't go wrong with any pasta dish. Excellent wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatParissDined on 8/15/2014Appetizers outstanding! Duck risotto entry too salty.Special Features:
- Modesto TrattoriamemorableDined on 8/13/20147 of us celebrated our friends 25th anniversary and 75th b-day..Food was ok..Service, exceptionally bad. Slow, waiter never came over once to refill water...pizza was served cold..he said doesn't feel cold to me.no attention to clearing etc. very ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winner!VikingNCDined on 8/13/2014We enjoyed a beautiful mid-week evening outdoors at Modesto. They were not busy and service was very good. Food was delivered hot and quick. Our Apple pizza was a unique and tasty combination of ingredients. We would recommend Modesto to locals and visitors.Special Features:
- Modesto - Asheville NCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014An excellent restaurant with wonderful food, beverages and outside dining.Special Features:
- Excellent As Always!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014Hector Diaz never disappoints. Another delicious meal at Modesto. Best crab cakes ever! The bread is to die for! His mix of flavors is always a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 8/2/2014Having lived in The Asheville area awhile now I've had the good fortune to dine at some wonderful restaurants. This is one of the best. I've been here a few times now and the food, service, and ambiance have been consistently outstanding. Weather permitting I'd recommend sitting outside.Special Features:
- Caprese!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/1/2014The caprese salad was an excellent suggestion by our server. It's not a traditional caprese, and it was delicious, filled with bits of crispy garlic and delightfully creamy burrata. The bread was fresh and I love that the pesto was nut-free and dairy-free, and that the waiter shared that information as he served it.Special Features:
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/26/2014We made last minute reservations at Modesto with a large group and the service and food were both incredible! We tried a few dishes from each of their categories- specials, pizzas, salads, pastas and everyone was very impressed. Our waitress was amazing and everything she recommended we loved!Special Features:
- Extensive Authentic Italian MenuCharlestonBrideVIPDined on 7/23/2014The menu was tremendous and most food was splendid. It seemed the staff was a bit overwhelmed by the crowd that night...some meats were not cooked to order and service was friendly but a bit slow.Special Features:
- MarkDined on 7/22/2014Fresh ingredients thoughtfully and creatively prepared combined with attentive and friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in our dinnerWendyleeDined on 7/12/2014While the food was good, unfortunately, the service was exceptionally poor. To begin with, they had no idea we had a reservation even though we had booked it through Open Table and had the confirmation email. To accommodate us, they pulled a table outside and added a chair to make a very small dining area for 5 people. Two of the glasses had chips in them. The service was exceptionally slow. The server seemed like a nice guy but didn't seem to know how to serve. We were very disappointed in the overall experience. We have dined here before and had a better experience in the past. Perhaps this was just an "off night."
- Perfect!HoltDined on 7/12/2014Our group of 14 dined outside at Modesto on July 12. Our server was incredible. The food was also incredible: octopus, fried green tomatoes, brick oven pizza, bruschetta, artichoke, & more. The bar cocktails were delicious and hand crafted! We could not have had a better dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home run!FoodieDined on 7/5/2014Wonderful chef! Food was fresh and most creative! Two of us had specials - whole Bronzino fish and pork Osso bucco, each perfectly prepared. Began with a grilled octopus appetizer that was succulent and served over wood-fired vegetables. Delicious! Another had the NC trout and it was equally good. Portions were generous but not overwhelming. Wine suggested by our outstanding, most knowledgeable server was perfect accompaniment to our meals! A most enjoyable night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modesto - DisappointingRLDineDined on 7/5/2014I've been to this restaurant a few times and have always thought it was a good place to eat. Never my favorite, but solid. However, my most recent visit left me thinking that something is just gone wrong. Maybe the chef was on vacation. My food was almost uneatable as well as taking forever in the kitchen. So, this restaurant has moved to my don't wast my money list. Sorry Modesto.... Bad night for us both.
- Nice Al Fresco DiningAVLFoodieDined on 7/3/2014We sat outside and truly enjoyed the sites while dining. Excellent wine list, great menu and the specials were wonderful. The lamb shank was nicely prepared with saffron risotto -- fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great diningLisaDined on 6/28/2014Modesto is always great for dining. This particular Sunday evening was slow both downtown and at the restaurant. We had great service. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and recommended a wine for me and in turn I have contacted a local wine shop to order some for me - it was fabulous! We have never had anything to eat at Modesto that wasn't outstanding. We tried the special octopus appetizer and the smokey veggies that accompanied it were very flavorful. I had my favorite Modesto dish, Eggplant Parm and it was a great as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNashvilleDined on 5/30/2014Dined here with friends when in town for a conference. The squid salad was amazing. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/27/2014Great restaurant. The food was superb. Very willing to work with various food sensitivities.Special Features:
- Nice addition to AshevilleMurphyDined on 5/22/2014Our meal, served outdoors on a late Spring evening, was enjoyable mostly due to an attentive server. She made recommendations based on personal experience and guided us to decisions that were perfect for us: an interesting grilled octopus appetizer, Veal Piccata, the fish of the day, and a seafood entree over pasta. The veal, normally a flavorful dish on its own, was pretty "tricked out" with more accompaniments than necessary ... lots of different (unrecognizable) roasted vegetables. In the end, all good, but they competed with the veal. Like chefs these days want to show all their skills on one plate. We'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious flavors and texturesRoniDined on 5/10/2014Had the stuffed grape leaves again - fabulous - and the crab cakes were excellent as always. Each veal dish was generous, fresh and interesting combination of flavors and textures.Special Features:
- The following 69 reviews are from the Modesto Trattoria reviews archive.
- Dissappointing!dymicheleDined on 5/3/2014I used to love this place, and came often. My last experience was awful, and very dissappointing. The ambience and location is great, and you would think being on the strip they would be more aware of the service and food quality. We started off with bruchetta as the appetizer and the stuffed grape leaves. This was honestly the best part of our meal. They were both very tasty, but very light for the price. For dinner we had the pork chops which were under cooked and not evne edible, and a pasta dish that was also undercooked. The seafood in the pasta dish was not cleaned well, and we kept finding sand, and small hard pieces. We tried to save the night with a dessert, but it took about 15 minutes for them to even bring us dessert.
- Awesome, as always.BanjobevDined on 5/3/2014We love this little restaurant in the Grove Arcade in downtown Asheville. Always great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than everRoniDined on 5/2/2014The stuffed grape leaves (crunchy) and grilledf squid were divine; special pork chop tender, large and delicious, and the various veal dishes and accompaniments were some of the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service, & locationGoGoAsheville1Dined on 4/30/2014The food is just wonderful. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always dependableTonyDined on 4/25/2014The food and service here are always good. Interesting dishes, some innovative, many excellent. Great Italian cuisine with an Asheville flavor.Special Features:
- Great Food But Crowded And NoisyHapjamlawDined on 4/12/2014Once again we were fortunate because we got the window seat, one of the few places in the restaurant where you don't feel crammed in against other patrons. The food, as always, was especially good. Our waiter was excellent, though you have to expect to spend some time. We arrived at 6:15 and did not finish dinner until 7:45.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food delicious & creative as usualRoniDined on 4/11/2014Had the grilled Octopus/vegs - fabulous. I had the crab cake/caesar salad which was yummy and my friend had the Bass/beet salad which she loved. Finished it off with pistachio lime cake with fresh whipped cream: wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super wait staff!AlwayshungryDined on 3/15/2014We chose this place because our group needed variety, before the Asheville marathon/half marathon. The food was yummy, service was great! We had explained to the staff why we were running the event, raising money for a friend who had recently been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. As we were leaving, they brought a sealed envelope and presented to us, a collection of tips from the staff to make a donation! Needless to say, we were amazed at their generosity and very touched by the gesture! Will go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing change in focusNCLindaDined on 3/15/2014I live locally and Modesto has been a favorite for a while. However, this is the first time I've been since they changed their menu, and I was disappointed both in increased prices and in fewer simple choices - everything was complex, and, for what we got, I though overpriced. I had pasta with shrimp and salmon, and it was OK, but not worth $18.Special Features:
- Made my birthday a great one!PaisleyDined on 3/1/2014I had to call and change our reservation twice due to my mother being in a serious car accident on her way to Asheville (she was fine, the car was demolished) and I was so thankful that Modesto was understanding about this and accommodated us with no trouble. Having spent most of my life as a restaurant hostess, I know how irritating changing a reservation multiple times can be, especially on a weekend night, and was nervous to even ask, so I appreciated the perfectly pleasant attitude towards it. Modesto has been my favorite for Italian food in Asheville for years, and they did not disappoint! Fantastic food, service, and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.