7014 E. Camelback Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.modernsteak.com/
- Phone: 4804237000
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 11:30am to 3pm
Daily 12pm to 4pm
Mon – Fri 3pm to 6:30pm
Sun – Thu 5pm to 9:30pm
Fri – Sat 5pm to 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kemar Durfield
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Modern Steak puts a new twist on the traditional steakhouse, where guests can expect great service and delicious food. Modern Steak offers 3 large private dining rooms, which could be combined or split up for a variety of party sizes.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Lasker 8779269511
A word from Modern Steak
While it is no secret that Scottsdale offers many quality steakhouse options, expect to discover an entirely new experience at Modern Steak. Modern Steak is all about glamour. Enjoy the artfully shaded outside climate controlled patio and the beautifully appointed dining room equipped with bar and three private dining rooms. Modern Steak exudes hospitality and comfort, yet affordable elegance. The menu features tantalizing appetizers, mouthwatering prime-aged beef and seafood dishes. Guests can also partake in exquisite sides, salads, and irresistible desserts. When parched, sip on Scottsdale's most creative cocktails and outstanding wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Modern Steak reviews from OpenTable diners
- Gorgeous, Delicious, LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2013I was originally afraid this restaurant was going to be too expensive. But it wasn't. This is one of the most beautiful restaurants I have eaten at. I love it. And then you have the food. So creative and really delicious. We started with a mason jar full of chopped lobster in butter - ridiculously rich and very delicious. The grilled bread that came with it was so good, I asked myself how they grilled it so perfect. The meal was truly excellent. And the donut holes were enough to share and not put you over the top. And where did they get those coffee cups? Did I forget the wait-staff? NOPE, they were just wonderful. Attentive enough but not hovering. And the gentleman you brought over the wine and poured it was fantastic.Special Features:
- Have lunch...not dinnerSpeed51Dined on 5/17/2013Lunch is great...particularly the hamburger of the day. But, dinner the other night was disappointing. The oysters were miniscule...at no less than $2 a pop! Compared to Wildfish, they are a non-starter. My top of the price chart prime rib was so salty I couldn't eat it...ditto the smashed potatoes and especially the au jus. Took the meat and potatoes home to be washed off and served up some day with decent gravy as left overs. The help in the bar and at table were top of the line. The dinner chef needs to step up his game to match them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service!NikkiDined on 5/12/2013We had a wonderful Mother's Day dinner. Our server, Gretchen, was fantastic. Very knowledgable! Lobster is a jar was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day GiftFred9959Dined on 5/12/2013We took my wife to dinner for Mother's Day . She loves the early 60s look of the restaurant . Reservations were for 7:00pm. Restaurant was very slow for Mother's Day. Server was efficient but not very friendly. Food was very good except for one filet that was suppose to be medium well and came out medium. Wine prices were a good value. Best part was we were in and out in 1 hour and 20 minutes. Some restaurants take 2 and 1/2 hours to get through a simple dinner. Had a good time and will return again.Special Features:
- Great for lunchQueenVIPDined on 5/12/2013A limited dinner menu but great salad menu for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice ambiance, disappointing foodAZhikerDined on 5/6/2013Modern Steak disappointed us. A girlfriend loves to go here, so I was expecting great things. The outdoor patio ambiance and the butter poached lobster jar were the stars of the show, everything else was moderate at best. I ordered the beet salad, which would have been delicious had it not been overly dressed to the point of being soggy! The wedge salad is massive and those who ordered it enjoyed it very much. The beef carapacio was pretty bland and the accompanying shaved asparagus salad was soupy it was so completely overdressed. My hubbie ordered the king crab chowder (bland and boring) and the new york (good, but pricey). A friend ordered the flank steak and loved it.Special Features:
- Top NotchBetterVIPDined on 4/30/2013Returned to Modern Steak for another fantastic dinner. The Lobster Jar was over-the-top fantastic, and our steaks were perfect. The service was just as warm and friendly as our last visit, and the kind attention of Mr. Robert Gonzalez the sommelier was absolutely outstanding. This is a restaurant the truly wants you to enjoy every minute you spend with them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is always exciting to dineJohnDined on 4/27/2013It is always exciting to dine at Modern Steak. Good menu and good service.Special Features:
- Food was great. Service excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2013Food was great. Service excellent. Lobster jar to die for. Beautiful place. Hard to find. Bit stuffy despite trying not to be.Special Features:
- happy hour at modern steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2013we went for happy hour, and it was decent. the only downer was the shrimp cocktail ($5) that only had 2 shrimp!! beautifully presented, but 2 shrimp?? really?? my poor husband didn't know what to do...he wanted to complain.... otherwise, all else was good. the mac and cheese was ok and a bargain at $2.50. we sat outside on the patio, which had nice ambience, but my dad was very uncomfortable on the low seats, and had to switch to a normal chair. our waitress was decent.Special Features:
- I really enjoyed my steak.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013I really enjoyed my steak. It was tender and delicious. I had two vegetables--green beans and the spinach/garlic. Both were a bit too salty, but correctly cooked IMO. The beer selection was a bit limited. Overall, a nice dinner.Special Features:
- superbmtrockerDined on 4/18/2013Very pleasant - we really enjoyed everything about Modern Steak - great decor - outstanding service - most enjoyable we look forward to our next visitSpecial Features:
- An excellent experience. WaitstaffdriggsdinerDined on 4/14/2013An excellent experience. Waitstaff went extra mile to reseat us after a large private party came in so we could continue our conversation in quiet. Food was very good but a bit pricey for the menu and beautifully presented.
- Mistake fixedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013Very nice place, a bit expensive, my steak had to go back twice to be cooked correctly. They treated us very well and made the steak situation right with desert on them. The server was very friendly, the whole staff were very welcoming.Special Features:
- A little spendy, but it ISOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2013A little spendy, but it IS Scottsdale... The patio was lovely and the service almost impeccable. Steaks were prepared perfectly and the crab and oysters were VERY fresh. We'll go again.Special Features:
- Love Modern Steak!Mzgina59Dined on 3/28/2013The food was amazing and the ambiance was beautiful! The staff was really great in the beginning but towards then end sort of forgot about our table. Either way, I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server and kitchen madeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/23/2013Our server and kitchen made countless mistake.We ordered steaks medium, got it well done. Order fries, got mash potato. order one bottle wine, charged for two bottle. Put it in simple word, it was a circus.
- super food. best wedge salad.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013super food. best wedge salad. A meal unto itself. The flank steak was outstanding. First time there and would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Waiter was excellent. QualityLorie7Dined on 3/22/2013Waiter was excellent. Quality of the food was not as good as we have had on the past. Disappointed that we could not get full service on the patio.
- You should add "Great forOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/20/2013You should add "Great for Happy Hour" (check)! Good specials!Special Features:
- What a dissappointment. HowrejjrDined on 3/17/2013What a dissappointment. How can you have Steak in your name and not be able to cook a steak? Both steaks were overcooked, salmon was undercooked. Steak was not a very high quality. Tasted like a grocery store steak. Great Bread though!
- King crab leg chowder wasGRG007Dined on 3/14/2013King crab leg chowder was excellant! Took a while to get our main course. The short ribs were salty and the roasted veggies were really salty. Overall, somewhat disappointed.Special Features:
- It was nice to unwind at workOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/12/2013It was nice to unwind at work on the outdoor seating. The indoor was also very nicely decorated.Special Features:
- The restaurant is really beautiful.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2013The restaurant is really beautiful. I would go there again.
- Haven't been here for awhile,CindyVIPDined on 3/9/2013Haven't been here for awhile, but thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the service.
- Perfect for ladies lunch!PattiDined on 3/9/2013Attentive service, tasty lobster salads, and upper level booths best seating!Special Features:
- Joshua was a great server.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2013Joshua was a great server. New his menu, friendly, not too over besringSpecial Features:
- Absolutely Perfect!BetterVIPDined on 3/5/2013Fantastic - the "Lobster in a Jar" was outstanding, and the prime rib was better than Smith & Wollensky! Service was incredibly friendly, truly exceptional at every level - simply can't say enough about this place.Special Features:
- Not an especially good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013Not an especially good experience this time. We had confirmed reservations and arrived on time. The restaurant was not full when we arrived. Yet, we were asked to wait before being seated while several staff members congregated around the desk. We were not brought water or asked for drink orders for what seemed to be an excessive period of time. Our waiter was attentive but seemed stressed. The prime rib was not a very good cut. We will probably go back again,as previous experiences have been good, although it may be a while, but will likley not return again if the next experience is not significantly better.
- So here's my issues with ModernOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2013So here's my issues with Modern Steak: Everything was fine. It wasn't a bad experience by any means. The restaurant is beautiful the service was okay (our waiter was a little snobby) but the rest of the staff was friendly. Our food was good but not great. I would have been happy with the food if I was at a restaurant paying normal prices but to pay $30 to $50 for an entree with no sides then the food, in my opinion, should be spectacular. I think it would be a great place for lunch but not a nice date night. We were not impressed.Special Features:
- For a restaurant in a mall,nipperDined on 3/2/2013For a restaurant in a mall, this is an exceptional place. The outdoor patio is excellent. The prime rib was perfect, nice size without being overly big. Moderate sized baked potato so you do not feel guilty about eating the whole thing. Had they not forgotten the spinich side, scores would have been higher.Special Features:
- The staff was very attentive.fransapVIPDined on 2/23/2013The staff was very attentive. The food was very good. We will be back again!Special Features:
- The food will not disappoint!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013While the prices are a bit high the food here is delicious. The overall experience was great. The staff makes you feel like a million bucks and the place is well appointed. Modern relaxed look mixed with a bit of classic steak house feel. The only negative is that the restaurant is at the mall and the dining room is open to passersby to peek into as they walk into the mall. This is distracting to diners and takes away from your dining experience. But if you don't mind people staring at you while you eat then this place will be the highlight of your night out.Special Features:
- Great Food with awful, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013The food was amazing. The service was awful. Our food took over an hour. The waiter handled the errors by the kitchen as best he could, and offered to buy us 1 drink(not 1 each) for the trouble. We could visibly see him discussing the trouble with the manager and the manager never bothered to stop by. It's unfortunate that such great food is paired with poor management and what appears to be an overwhelmed kitchen. Unfortunately, I don't plan to return as we were celebrating our anniversary that night, and our memory of that special night will only be poor service. Fox restaurants have always been a favorite of mine, but unfortunately this experience will cause hesitation to recommend any of these establishments to friends and family.Special Features:
- Food was excellent, and ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2013Food was excellent, and our server was very good. But we waited a very long time between salad and entree. We didn't say anything, but they comped our dessert because of the wait. It was nice they made it right without us saying anything. They were very accomodating and we will return.Special Features:
- We were there on a FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2013We were there on a Friday night. I ordered a NY Steak Medium+, it came out med rare, I sent it back, it came back still medium rare, I sent it back again and it was finally cooked to medium. Meanwhile my date had eaten her dinner while I waited for the 2 extra trips to the kitchen for my steak. By this time the side dish (mushrooms) to accompany the steak was cold. The waiter and manager were very apologetic but did nothing to offset the quality of the experience. In retrospect, I should have returned the steak and had it taken off my bill. No attempts were made at any monetary adjustments. This was a special occasion dinner and we could have chosen Flemings, Ruth Chris, etc. but we wanted to try Modern Steak.
- The food had been deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013The food had been delicious in the past. I made my reservation through OpenTable. I arrived on time..the server stated it would take a few minutes...15 minutes had passed, which is fine. However, this was coupled with a sitting at the inside "patio" tables, which stretch out into the mall area. This is not what I expected from a reservation. The hostess explained that tonight is busy and with a reservation this usually does not occur. I requested to wait to be sitting in the inside dinning area, they accomodated. BTW, This was a Valentines Date with my girlfriend. I thought all was well, until.....NO delicious unbelievable bread was served. The server stated the restaurant was out of bread. Also, the were out of the Short Braised Rib.Special Features:
- I had a 7:00 PM reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013I had a 7:00 PM reservation for my girlfriend and I for an early Valentine's Day dinner, we had actually arrived earlier than expected. But to my happiness we were seated right away and did not have to wait. Our waiter was very knowledgeable with the menu along with the drink selection. The food and drinks were excellent. We will definitely come back for dinner and drinks again. Thank you for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- We love going to Modern Steak.JoandFredVIPDined on 2/9/2013We love going to Modern Steak. Nice atmosphere, rather like dining in NYC. The food is always good and they change up the menu every so often which keeps it interesting. Good food, great service!Special Features:
- Where's the beef?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013Lets start with the not so good. It was 830 and they were out of prime rib and only had one filet. You are a steak house. Our waiter felt fine throwing the cooking staff under the bus. It took forever to order, get drinks, get food, etc. we waited 45 minutes for our entrees. Our waiter was way more interested in some high maintenance table and every other table he had suffered. Terrible service. My filet, when it arrived, was really good. However, you cannot charge those prices when your service is that awful. Won't be back for awhile - not worth the wait.