Modern Restaurant + Bar
3365 Piedmont Rd; NE Suite 1350
Atlanta, GA 30305Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Modern Restaurant + Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.modernbuckhead.com/
- Phone: 404-554-1100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm, Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Alba
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Modern Restaurant + Bar
Exceptional dining meets extraordinary cocktail creations at Modern Restaurant + Bar, the most beautiful dining room and patio in Atlanta. Located in Tower Place Buckhead, Modern offers guests a truly unique experience with an innovative take on modern American cuisine. A beautiful 22-foot bar window opens to our outside bar seating and patio facing Piedmont Road and overlooking the dining room and lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Modern Restaurant + Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- We have been trying to haveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2013We have been trying to have dinner at Modern for over a month now and due to the issues and it not being open we could not get in, which was fine, but then I made Opentable reservations and we went and had friends from outside the city meet us and it wasn't even open for our 7:30 reservations.
- Probably Won't Go Back For DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/14/2013There were 6 of us having dinner and looked forward to an opportunity to catch up with each other over a meal. There was a band playing in the bar that was so loud we felt like we were yelling at each other the entire time we were there. The food was good and our server was very friendly, however I finished my cocktail and by the time the waiter returned to check on us it was time to order (an hour after we had sat down) so I think he could have been more attentive. If they plan to keep live music then they need to consider turning this restaurant into a night club or get rid of the music. Not ever having dinner there but would consider lunch.Special Features:
- I've had an "off" experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2013I've had an "off" experience both times I have dined at this restaurant.
- My friend and I had a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/12/2013My friend and I had a very pleasant evening at Modern, which we discovered during the Buckhead Restaurant Week. The food and service were good. This is a place to which we will return.Special Features:
- We dined on a Friday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2013We dined on a Friday night at 7. It is located in the heart of Buckhead, so you expect a vibrant, lively scene. Right? Wrong! It was so dead. We were one of five tables. The food--I ordered the crab cake appetizer. It was full of crab meat, with no filler. However, it arrived cold, after sending it back to be cooked, it was still bland. A waist of a great appetizer considering the amount of crab meat that was used. Originally, I ordered the chicken. It was explained to me by our server that it was a "one bone", roasted chicken. It was not. It was some sort of fried creation that tasted like dark meat. Server did not have the acumen about the menu that you would expect in this sort of establishment. Not at all impressed.Special Features:
- It's new! The staff isn'tsassyVIPDined on 3/1/2013It's new! The staff isn't quite up to par...yet. They don't have good landmarks to provide directions and there are some easy one's around - the Disco Krogre, Fork and Spoon Movie complex, the old Copelands, opposite side of the building from Twin Peaks. Poor signage at night, but I passed it in the day and you can see it pretty well. This can be a great place. They have to get the word out and up the staff performance. Our waiter was knowledgeable, but obtrusive. He was too invested in letting us know what he knew. We actually wanted to talk to each other:-)Special Features:
- Lunch menu is fairly sparse.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2013Lunch menu is fairly sparse. We were one of only 4-5 tables for lunch, so it was very quiet. The bar and outdoor area are very nice.
- The night I went there wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/27/2013The night I went there was one dining table being occupied otherwise the entire restaurant was vacant. My two friends and I dined at the bar. Service was great since we were the only ones needing to be served.Special Features:
- Very cool place... food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/27/2013Very cool place... food was very good! ambience great.. would definitely recommend. See ya soon!Special Features:
- Probably picked a bad night.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013Probably picked a bad night. We were there Sun.,the evening of the Academy Awards.There was only one other table occupied and the bar almost empty.Two people in our party of three had the N.Y.Strip. Although one was ordered rare and the other medium, they were both medium.The steak was served sliced and was only lukewarm. The quality of the meat was underwhelming. The steak was tough and should not have been served. The French Fries with the steak were average. Most restaurant visits I would have said something and sent it back.I was just happy to be out after being tied up with work for a few days.Lovely setting and probably a lot of fun on a busier evening, but there are too many good restaurants in Buckhead then to return to Modern
- Consider going elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013Whatever you do, don't order the NY strip or the risotto. The steak was so unbelievably chewy and the risotto was very undercooked! As for the service, it was okay. The lady asked like 4 times (In a matter of minutes) if my friend was done with her plate, she finally just told her to take it. The manager insisted that I tried something else which I ended up with a $15 dollar appetizer that wasn't even comp'd... Will not be returning and I recommend going elsewhere..
- Good locationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2013The location is good and parking is easy. It is an energetic environment and the bar is great. The food was okay, nothing remarkable that I would mention to friends, but it is a good location and atmosphere. I would order the hamburger next time!Special Features:
- The hostess was nice and friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2013The hostess was nice and friendly, the bartenders timely. We were seated in the bar area in the back and it got pretty loud. The server was courteous, but didn't seem to be paying attention. Brought our drink order out wrong the first go around and didn't describe dishes well. Out of the three of us, none of us were particularly impressed with the meal, as a previous diner in our party had been. The quality of the fish we each ordered was not up to par, it was mealy or overcooked. Disappointing. Cool Buckhead atmosphere, but seemed to be "just a pretty face". The valet on a cold windy night took forever, to even come get our ticket and then to bring the car. Not a dining experience I need to repeat.
- Modern is one of those placesuperkimVIPDined on 2/16/2013Modern is one of those place you would go just before a night out on the town but wouldn't consider it otherwise. Its all about the trendy atmosphere where people go to take pictures - think girls night out. Not that the food is bad - it is slightly on the better side in Atlanta - but for the price there are much better places.Special Features:
- The restaurant was nice, androswelldinerDined on 2/16/2013The restaurant was nice, and the ambiance was cool. While we did see some families here, I would not say it's a family resturant. Food was good, not great for the price. We had the sea bass, which was nice, but nothing special for the price.(36.00) It was serverd with white rice, and steamed asian vegtables and some type of soy reduction. We also had the seafood risotto, which again was good, but for 30.00 a plate, I expected more flavor. We had a house salad, which was nothing special, and butternut squash soup. The soup lacked the rich flavor you typically find with butternut squash. The service as very good, out waiter was great.Special Features:
- Went for Valentine's Day andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2013Went for Valentine's Day and even though it was a fixed 4-course meal, the food was delicious and the service was excellent. Our waiter didnt seem overly knowledgable of the menu but he was very attentive and didn't hover too much after we'd finished eating. Would definitely go back for another date night.Special Features:
- The Food was excellent. CrowdOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013The Food was excellent. Crowd a little slow for Saturday night. Service was slow considering level of business. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- The experience left us disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013The experience left us disappointed. The service was great except...our server. He was training someone and didn't bother introducing her which made it awkward for us and her. He didn't make much eye contact, and didn't seem to know that you shouldn't place plates on top of a menu while someone is reading it. We ordered the pork belly appetizer which was basically tidbits of meat surrounded by large amounts of lard. Needless to say we picked on it but barely ate any. There is no way the server didn't notice it but said absolutely nothing, didn't ask us how it was, didn't ask how our wine was (which was also mediocre). By the end of the dinner we were wishing that the bus boys or runners were our servers. Our dinner food was good.Special Features:
- Just okay overall. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/7/2013Just okay overall. Food was okay but not great or at all memorable. Atmosphere was decent was not overly warm and inviting. Service was very good and personable, best part of experience.
- we had an outstanding time.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/5/2013we had an outstanding time. will be back to see how dining room area comparesSpecial Features:
- This was our first visit toSERVERVIPDined on 1/31/2013This was our first visit to Modern+ Bar but it will not be our last. We were a party of four and it was enjoyed by all...Martinis were outstanding as was the chocolate torte. Inbetween courses were very good.Special Features:
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/31/2013Decent Food; small portions; good ambiance; a bit overpriced; slow service
- Won't try againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013The server made me want to leave the restaurant. He never introduced himself. Was short with us when we asked ANY questions at all about the menu, and really kind of rude. We had planned on ordering more food but he was so slow and mean we just ordered appetizers and left. The modern salad was boring, but the lobster and crab cake were good. If you go, I hope that Kevin m doesn't serve you. It was really bad and I don't think I will be back. The food wasn't good enough to go back and chance more bad service.Special Features:
- Ok food. Slow service. Nice bar.GUEST21714Dined on 1/26/2013The bar scene was hopping... But our dinner was not. It took over two hours from the time we sat down until the time we walked out the door. Food was decent. Nothing outstanding. Service was SLOW. They filled our water glasses constantly but our server was rarely around for a drink order or the next course. ( we ended up only ordering one drink) Overall, nice enough atmosphere for us to want to come back for the bar .... But in this town with so much amazing food, not good enough to win us over for dinner again.Special Features:
- New, flashy, and disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2013Had high hopes, not that great. Service was mediocre. The food looked interesting on the menu, but the presentation was quite bland. I appreciate trying to be forward thinking with the menu, but some of the flavors DO NOT MATCH. For example, red snapper, though itself was good, did not go well with butter beans and a red pepper paste. Quite odd, but we gave it a chance. I understand the "newness" of the restaurant, but don't try so hard to be different to the extent it ruins the food.Special Features:
- Great new restaurant in BuckheadnancyVIPDined on 1/12/2013Delicious food, nice and interesting choices on the menu. Excellent service. Beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- Service was great, food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/5/2013Service was great, food was good--dined in the bar and had great experience.Special Features:
- Food was terrific. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013Food was terrific. Service was excellent. Not a welcoming ambiance, very cold environment, poor lighting.Special Features:
- I really felt everything exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2012I really felt everything except for the food was fantastic. The atmosphere and ambience was really romantic and cool there. In the future, I would be more likely to stop by and just have a drink.Special Features:
- Good, but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2012Modern Buckhead was a fine restaurant, even though it was trying really hard to be great. My girlfriend and I had dinner on here on Christmas Eve so the restaurant was fairly empty which made for a nice quiet ambiance. The interior design is stylish, comfy, and lit to give the feel of a trendy nightclub. I got the LONG ISLAND DUCK -- which was surprisingly tasty. The dish was good, don't get me wrong, but for $28 you feel like you should be getting JUST a bit more food for your money. My girlfriend and I had a couple beers each, along with her entree the bill came out to over $100 with tip. Now I'm fine with paying that much for a quality meal in Atlanta, but I somehow felt like I didn't get my moneys worth here.Special Features:
- Monday was a quiet night.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/17/2012Monday was a quiet night. oBusiness function, but only 8 tables in use and place was very quiet no one at the bar.
- The food was excellent butOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/15/2012The food was excellent but the noise level made it impossible for converstaion.Special Features:
- The menu is varied and offersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2012The menu is varied and offers a choice for all tastes. The lobster appetizer, beef tartar, tuna tartar, mushroom tartlet,red snapper and pasta dishes were all excellent as were the desserts. The food and service made this a great experience for our special occasion.Special Features:
- It was good. Would go backOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/8/2012It was good. Would go back but I wouldn't rush back. It was very very loud! Our waitress was ok but nothing great!!!
- All kinds of trouble fromOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/4/2012All kinds of trouble from the kitchen during this visit. Two (of three) orders at our table were incorrect or missing ingredients (such as the Thai chicken salad had no chicken). My oyster po boy sandwich came out as shrimp po boy. Management worked quickly to correct the errors and was very apologetic for the errors, but it delayed lunch and had one of us eating while the other two waited for the new orders.
- Wonderful Experience!FoodieInTrainingVIPDined on 12/1/2012The restaurant's ambiance matches the name and upon entering we were very impressed. Clearly the owners have invested a fair amount in the decor and it shows. This is not a cookie-cutter operation or fern-bar set up, but a very tastefully done and pleasing "modern" decor. The staff could not have been better. Attentative but not overly so. They were helpful with suggestions and clearly know the menu - a shortcoming too many other restaurants overlook. Nice job! Finally, the food was wonderful. The wife went with a a dish the showed off the chef's talent (a red snapper dish) and I went with a burger ($15). Let me say this: It might have been the best burger I had in 2012. We will definately be back.Special Features:
- Over-ratedCulinaryqueenDined on 11/30/2012The service providers were inexperienced and unknowlegable of the menu. The portions were small and over priced. I will not return and do not recommend to others.
- Second chancesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/19/2012I went there during their opening week and, based on that experience, figured they would not survive for 6 months. I returned with my wife last week, and everything was superb! Go figure, but the quail was the best first course I have had this year, and I have traveled throughout Latin America and Europe this year.Special Features:
- The service was outstanding,DLVATLVIPDined on 11/17/2012The service was outstanding, almost to the point of hovering, but was very good. We were checked on frequently, our water glasses were never empty, we received food promptly, everyone was nice and our waiter was helpful with recommendations, knew the menu well and wasn't rude when we sent the wine back. We had the tuna tartare to start. Tuna needed a bit more flavor but it was very fresh, almost melt in your mouth! My date had the pasta with beef which he said was ok. I had the butternut squash soup which was outstanding. I then ordered the hangar steak appetizer which was also outstanding, excellent mix of flavors. The restaurant is loud when you walk in, but don't let that alarm you. Sit near the windows if you want to talk.Special Features:
- It was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2012It was our first visit to The Modern. The decor is very sleek and comfortable. We enjoyed the food. I had sea bass and it was delicious. The service was excellent and our every need was accommodated. We will definitely go back for dinner as well as lunch.Special Features: