Moda Restaurant Bar & Lounge at The Flatotel NYC
135 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Moda Restaurant Bar & Lounge at The Flatotel NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.flatotel.com/dining_moda_apartment_hotels.shtml
- Phone: 2128879880
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:30am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:30am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mutazz Ishmail
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Space available in restaurant, bar, lounge, or banquet space for up to 500 people!
- Special Events: We can tailor your event for up to 500 people in our 14,000+ square feet of space, as well as our Restaurant, Outdoor Bar & Lounge areas
A word from Moda Restaurant Bar & Lounge at The Flatotel NYC
MODA Restaurant, a chic Italian eatery featuring Mediterranean inspired cuisine, is located within the Flatotel in the heart of midtown. MODA, Italian for style, offers a sophisticated, yet friendly dining atmosphere within the hotel, and an outdoor patio that lies beneath a three-story glass canopy overlooking bustling 52nd Street. Seasonal outdoor dining and cocktails are offered at MODA Outdoors May through October.Continued
MODA serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner year round.
MODA serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner year round.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Moda Restaurant Bar & Lounge at The Flatotel NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
- Food was comparable to microwavedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012Food was comparable to microwaved fast food.. it was literally microwaved. What wasn't microwaved was super greasy. Worst part is, the food was not that cheap either. The waiter could not speak english, which was a problem since he was not at all familiar with what was on the menu. He also forgot part of the meal. I feel cheated that the food and service was horrible and a 20% tip was automatically charged because "it was a hotel restaurant". I am really disappointed that open table even offers this restaurant as an option.
- Never Again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2012Huge disappointment! The restaurant was empty...LITERALLY! We were the only people there at 8:45 on a Staurday night. There wasn't a patio for outdoor seating as advertised and when the food arrived we realized why the restauran was completely empty.
- The description for the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2012The description for the restaurant indicated they had outdoor seating in a romantic setting. When we arrived, there was no outdoor seating and they sat us next to the bar which was so noisy I could not hear myself chew! So much for a romantic evening!Special Features:
- They advertise (online) aTheatreFoodieVIPDined on 3/29/2012They advertise (online) a prix-fixe menu, but when we got there we discovered that they do not offer one--at all. The food was mediocre and overpriced. I would NEVER go back, and I would warn others away from it.
- MODA A Shining StarOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/24/2012I was staying at the Flatotel and meeting my boss and her children for dinner. We decided to just eat at the hotel and were plesently surprised at the service, quality of the food (the mushroom soup was to die for) and the wonderful staff. They accommodated the children's needs as well as ours with grace and humor. Drinks were prepared wonderfully and from "soup" to dessert it was a WOW. I would come back and eat there is a "New York Minute."Special Features:
- The kitchen closed at 9:30OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012The kitchen closed at 9:30 and our reservation was at 9 - our friends who met up with us 15 minutes late for dinner were not served. The place was dead on a saturday night.
- Our food was waaaayyyyy overcooked.SkipDined on 2/4/2012Our food was waaaayyyyy overcooked. The waiter offered us dessert and coffee. The restaurant was empty, although, in all fairness, we dined pre-theater. We would not go back there.
- Bad FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/26/2012The appetizer was so bad that I had to speak to a manager because we were about to leave. Upon better judgement, we stayed for dinner and it didn't get any better. I definitely would not return.
- I was warmly greeted and receivedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/20/2012I was warmly greeted and received good service from our server. The appetizer was tomato based soup with pasta and vegetables, which I felt I was eating pasta sauce. I was only able to take two scoops. My entree was steak with fries. The steak was poorly prepared having a strong steak sauce taste covering up the two day old taste it had. The french fries were extremely over cooked and dry. Once again only had two bites of my meal. The chocolate moose cake tasted like it was refrigerated for days and yes only able to take two bites. Everyone was nice but the manager never came to our table. She was busy with her friends sitting at table next to us. She never inquired why I didn't eat anything. I will not recommend this place for dinner.
- Not what we expected. PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/17/2011Not what we expected. Portions were very small. It was like the restaurant for the hotel with no one dining. Service was very good. We won't go back again.
- They accepted my 9pm reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011They accepted my 9pm reservation, however tried to deter my party when we arrived right on time since they claimed to be closing at 9pm. It is a hotel restaurant, and very nice at that. There was 1 other group dining at the time, but it was actually nice. The menu was limited, but enough of a selection available. The food was better than expected, and the prices are very reasonable. The service while dining was also very good.
- My sister and I went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/30/2011My sister and I went there for a quick bite and ordered salads and soups with a bottle of wine. To start things off, their wine list is minimal and the prices are very high considering that the $54 bottle I bought costs $14 at the store. Then we got the "italian soups", funny thing, they tasted very indian. Their salads on the other hand were good so I wont complain about those. This place could actually be good because it has a good vibe but they fall short with their wines to say the least and have very little knowledge of them. Don't order any of their soups!
- Mini siders were good. PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2011Mini siders were good. Pizza was not so good. Drinks very expensive.
- stay awayTBARDined on 10/25/2011cavelike room, lacks any warmth, always empty, depressing. would sooner eat at burger king where dinner is less than $ 150.00 for two.
- Service was good, staff wasReverbDined on 10/13/2011Service was good, staff was pleasant, but the food was sub-par, and they were out of many things on the menu. Had the vibe that they were serving older food, or out of money to order. Out of simple things.
- We didn't eat there, becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2011We didn't eat there, because the rest. was empty, there was no one to greet us, it was dark...there wasn't anything that made us want to eat there. So we left, went across the street to McCormack & Schmidt and had a very good meal.
- This is the second time I'veBethVIPDined on 8/19/2011This is the second time I've been to Moda, and once again, I'm underwhelmed. My friend and I shared a salad and two entrees. Although the server remembered to bring us individual plates, at neither time did it occur to him to bring us a serving utensil so that we could put the food onto our plates. When we asked for a couple of tablespoons to serve ourselves our salad, he brought us ONE tablespoon. We're still wondering what he could have been thinking. The difference between average service and outstanding service: a great server would not only have remembered that we were sharing and brought the appropriate utensil(s); he also would have served up the shared food at the table (or before).
- NICE restaurant in the W 50'sneldamVIPDined on 8/12/2011We had a very good experience when we had dinner there on a Friday night. Service was EXCELLENT. Atmosphere was very nice, great decor, very modern. Also, great bar scene at happy hour with after work crowd. The restaurant was surpirsingly empty, which I couldn't understand. But there IS the outdoor bar that was packed; so maybe most people were haning out at the bar outside. In any case, we had a very nice experience. Our teenager had a pizza that looked excellent, and we had the entrees that were alsoVery good. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Wonderful, spacious, attentiveGlorVIPDined on 7/21/2011Wonderful, spacious, attentive service, food was great. A great place convenient to Shows. We'll return.Special Features:
- Definitely not what we werestephtefDined on 7/19/2011Definitely not what we were expecting. The menu and pictures are more appealing than the actual place itself. The food was adequate at best. My paste was hard and stuck together. My boyfriends did say his meat was cooked very well, but his "pancetta" mash had no pancetta in it. When dessert came, the waiter just placed it on our table without asking us if we wanted any coffee or anything, probably because they were trying to leave. Both my and my boyfriend work in the industry, he is a chef and I am a restaurant event planner, and we understand restaurants have off nights, but considering the fact that we were 1 of 3 tables the entire night, we expected a least good food and service. To make a long story short, don't go
- The food was bland. No specialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2011The food was bland. No special flavors (or any flavor at all).Special Features:
- I took a girl on a first dateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2011I took a girl on a first date here and we both really enjoyed ourselves. They have an extensive wine list and the service is great (almost to the point of being overbearing but we didn't mind at all). We both ordered pasta which was good not great. It is a rather romantic atmosphere with the lighting but I also saw casual diners there. The food is priced well for what you get. I can't say that our meals were nothing we hadnt really tried before but they were good. We ended up ordering some tiramisu for dessert and they accidentally made two which was a nice surprise. I recommend this restaraunt.Special Features:
- BURGER KING WOULD HAVE BEEN A SMARTTBARDined on 5/14/2011WE SHOULD NEVER HAVE TAKEN OUR SEATS, AND JUST WALK OUT. IT WAS AS WE ENTERED A FUNERAL PARLOR. THE PLACE WAS VERY DARK AND EMPTY EXCEPT FOR A SINGLE WOMAN SEATING IN A CORNER. THE TECHNO MUSIC WAS BLASTING. WE ORDERED A BOTTLE OF ASLSACE WINE FOR $ 36.00 BUT THEY WERE OUT OF IT, THE WAITER INSTEAD TOLD US WE COULD GET GET US A $ 60.00 ONE FOR $ 40.00. THEY THEN SERVED SOME TYPE OF BREAD THAT WAS IMPREGNATED & DRENCHED IN OIL.THE FOOD WAS WAY BELOW AVERAGE. WE QUICKLY SWALLOWED OUR FOOD AND LEFT "BECAUSE THE KITCHEN CLOSES AT 9:00". WE COULD NOT IMAGINE A KITCHEN CLOSING AT 9:00 IN THE HEART OF NYC. ABOMINABLE
- Very friendly wait staff andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2011Very friendly wait staff and good food,though portions were small!Special Features:
- Nice gestureOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/30/2011Would you believe that the restaurant manager actually lowered the price (stated in menu) of the wine bottle to match our budget. How wonderful! It wasnt a great deal of discount us the gesture made us very happy. And you bet, we'll be there again.Special Features:
- We went for dinner on FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/18/2011We went for dinner on Friday at around 8PM. The waiter was hurrying us to order because the kitchen was closing at 9:30PM. The ordered a pasta that was probably made out of a box. Honestly for that price, I wish we would've just gone to have a slice of pizza.
- They ran out of bronzini.OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/11/2011They ran out of bronzini. It was early in the evening, how can you run out of something, and you're a restaurant in a hotel. Only reason why I ate there twice is because I had two coupons. Way too pricey and never crowded at all. Very limited menu.
- We were the only ones in theOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/4/2011We were the only ones in the restaurant. I did not like my food.
- My wife and I both orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2011My wife and I both ordered from the price fix menu (reasonable for Manhattan) and both had the salmon dish which was excellent. They brought my wife a free dessert (her birthday) in addition to the dessert included with the meal. Not a wine drinker so have to take my wife's word that the taste of the half bottle of champange we had "was a little off."
- I asked for pasta primaveraDennytDined on 2/18/2011I asked for pasta primavera with Oil and Garlic sauce and it came out with a red sauce and no vegetables. When I questioned that I asked for Oil and Garlic, the waiter said there was oil and garlic. Sorry to say, they really didn't understand what the actual dish is. And its listed on their menu.
- The food was fair at bestRGinATLVIPDined on 2/10/2011The food was fair at best and the service was not good which is shocking considering NOBODY else was there. The waiter barely spoke English and seemed to have trouble understanding us as well. We order a bottle of wine but were told that it was out of stock; we were then given a substitution, which was fine, and were told that it was the same price - but it was 25% more.
- great ambiance,good serviceUptownfoodloverDined on 2/3/2011Ambiance is the best thing about Moda. Went with a friend for restaurant week, and ordered off that menu. The grilled marinated shrimp appetizer and pork loin entree were delicious. I would pass on desert. Lots of depth on the wine list. Service was very attentive and fast.I will be returning.Special Features:
- It was a good place for aOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/20/2011It was a good place for a business breakfast. Not overly crowded so you can have a quiet conversation. I left a bit hungry and the menu wasn't all that interesting. If you need to be in this particular area for breakfast, it is one of the few decent options.
- I came here with a group ofOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/3/2011I came here with a group of 5 people on Sunday night and the place was empty. The waiter was really nice, took a while to take orders tho. We specifically asked if entrees came with anything, since there was nothing listed in the description. He said they were a la carte, so we ordered seasoned fries. But when the meals came each entree already had sides, so that was a waste of money. Food took an exceptionally long time. We came 2 hours before a show and had to rush our meal at the end because it was so late. Chicken Piccata was pretty good, Sirloin tasted like ground beef, Rigatoni Bolognese tasted like it came from a can, my burger was ok. Fries and chocolate cake were the best thing!
- We had a great time at yourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2010We had a great time at your restaurant! Excellent service, delicious food and the waiter, Ahmed, was a really nice guy! Thank you very much.Special Features:
- went here on new years andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/31/2010went here on new years and they have hats and other fun things on the table. food was good, nothing special but as a group of 12 everyone was able to find something they would eat and not too pricey.Special Features:
- "Moda" is the Italian wordOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/11/2010"Moda" is the Italian word for fashion, but unless bland food and terrible service are all the rage, I suggest they seek another name. My party of 3 reserved a pre-theatre table for 6pm. Our first omen was finding no host or hostess with whom to check in. When my sister queried the bartender, he replied, "He's very busy right now." Our waiter passed our table throughout the meal without even making eye contact. He took our order, but then ignored us until after we had finished our meals. We wanted additional drinks but could not order them.I ordered the butternut squash soup...I had to add a half shaker of salt (something I never use) to make it palatable. Pasta primavera tasted like the water the pasta was boiled in. High priced garbage
- Maybe I caught this on a badOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/8/2010Maybe I caught this on a bad night but both service and food were below par.
- I made a reservation for amarf6Dined on 12/8/2010I made a reservation for a large group. They had the table set up and waiting when we arrived. The service was very good. The food was delicious - especially the butternut squash soup! The prixe fix lunch was a hit with our group, there was something for everyone. Over all a wonderful lunch before the show! Thank you!Special Features:
- We ordered the calamari appetizerEastRiverDined on 12/2/2010We ordered the calamari appetizer which was excellent. It was not oily nor was the calamari rubbery. The entry was the ahi tuna sandwich. They cooked it properly (rare/medium rare) and it was not cold inside (a common problem with seared tuna). The wasabi mayo was great. The portion was large. I should mention the french fries that came with the sandwich were excellent as well.