1745 San Pablo Ave
Oakland, CA 94612Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mockingbirdoakland.com/
- Phone: 5102900331x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday thru Friday 11:30-2:30
Tuesday thru Saturday 5:30-10:00
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer full service catering services. From lunch drop offs to weddings up to 200.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Axelrod 5102900331x
A word from Mockingbird
Mockingbird is a restaurant in Uptown Oakland featuring Northern California, farm to table cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mockingbird reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (17)great for lunch (15)romantic (14)good for groups (13)hot spot (5)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Party of SixOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014I would definite eat at Mockingbird again. We had the trout salad, pate and pork tuchon appetizers; Sliced pork, Roast chicken and Steak and Frite entrees; bread pudding dessert....all tasty and satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We had to wait quite awhile to get seated even though we had a reservation. That was a little disappointing. But once we were finally seated. They made up for it with great service. The food was amazing. The brussels sprouts were divine. The steak was cooked perfectly and so so yummy. And the deserts were a perfect ending! Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- CharmedstutzcoDined on 8/20/2014Met the owner while lunching last week and I was impressed by her vision and the resulting foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerCharlieDined on 8/15/2014Exceptional service and amazing food. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gotta love itBzerkeleyVIPDined on 8/12/2014Consistency consistency consistency Am posting again because this kitchen continues to deliver time after time. Not like so many where one time it is great and the next time - not so. Love anything they do with Brussels sprouts!! Bread pudding and butterscotch pot de creme for dessert - made me a convert - these are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly fineoaklandauthorDined on 8/8/2014The food was good. Highlight as others suggested was the Brussels sprouts. Trout salad was nice. Salmon was fine--cooked just a tad too long but crispy skinned and flavorful on a likewise flavorful bed of lentils. However, the portion was quite small -- maybe 4 ounces at best. Enough for me but I think others would be disappointed. I am told the pork was quite good. Service was painfully slow and not helpful with regard to wine selection. I wouldn't mind eating here again, especially if I was attending a concert across the street at the fabulous Piedmont Piano Company, but I found it unexciting and not a great value.
- kp01Dined on 8/6/2014The food was great, exactly what we needed! The brussel and wine were great, would definitely come back again with a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch menu!funkyfoodieDined on 8/5/2014If you are looking for a special restaurant with a creative, tasty lunch menu, visit Mockingbird. The nuanced salads are flavorful and unusual in subtle ways. The Cuban pulled pork on pretzel bread is indescribably good and the brussel sprouts will knock your socks off. Go on a day when you want to have dessert and don't leave without ordering the bread pudding. Warm and delicious!Special Features:
- AWESOMEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014This restaurant is our go to place for lunch and dinner. I took a friend to lunch for her birthday and they brought over a candle and their bread pudding even though we didn't order it. Very thoughtful and very delicious. It's even good for picky eaters as we've brought them to dinner and they liked it a lot.Special Features:
- Wonderul flavors friendly stafflitwitfoodDined on 7/25/2014We ordered the salmon, roasted chicken and several small plates. All the food was well prepared and perfectly seasoned. Every dish had a complex and pleasing flavor profile. If seemed like everything on the plate was meant to be there and added to the overall taste and texture. The salmon had crispy skin and flaked beautifully. The bread pudding was somehow both tender and well-toasted. The waitstaff was available at a moment's notice, knowledgeable of the menu and possible substitutions (two of us were g/f) and friendly. We had a great time and will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OasisOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/25/2014My favorite lunch destination in Oakland. It's downright peaceful...a little oasis from one's hectic day. Menu isn't too long or too adventurous...but it's more than adequate for lunch. The pot de creme was yummy but a bit skimpy for $8...which would be my only complaint on the food. The server's recommendations were spot on and much appreciated. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Love the decor. It's very comfortable there. Lots of natural light. Food is wonderful. Service is great. Just wish they served dessert at lunch! I'm definitely going back.Special Features:
- Great food hereBzerkeleyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Something special happening in the kitchen here. If you haven't tried it yet - you must. Careful attention to prep of each dish. Wonderful blend of flavor and texture. Oh, and well executed desserts too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/18/2014The waitress told us the restaurant serves no bread and butter. So we dined on an adequate salad and a fairly good soup. While paying the bill, we noticed our waitress bringing a robust plate of bread and butter to table of what appeared to be friends. Differential treatment and lying are never good business practices.
- Needs a new hostSondheimVIPDined on 7/11/2014An hour into our meal (after we had ordered but not yet received our dessert) the hostess saw that I was finished with my main course and thinking I was finished with my meal actually asked me if I wouldn't mind leaving to make room for customers that were waiting at the door. First of all, even if I was finished, you don't chase customers out of your restaurant, especially when they've only been there for an hour (two courses apps and entree). Second, maybe you should have asked the server where we were in the meal? even if we had been finished we hadn't been presented with a check. In hindsight, I should have done just what she asked, I should have left without paying the bill.
- What a gem!jandfVIPDined on 7/8/2014As Oakland continues to up its cool factor, restaurants like Mockingbird are continuing to contribute. It's a lovely spot in an up and coming neighboorhood - peaceful lovely block that always seems sunny and cheerful. The service is always very friendly and knowledgable, and the food is awesome! Salads are perfectly dressed. The Cuban sandwich seems to be everyone's favorite. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with friendSimoneDined on 7/3/2014I found the food underwhelming. Just ok, nothing special. Not bad, but not great.
- ok, but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Food was fine, but not a great value really. Appetizers outshined the ordinary entrees
- ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESSMlavaryVIPDined on 6/28/2014While the sever was a bit of a novice, that was not a major detractor from the outstanding food. We had the kale salad, summer squash salad, chicken, the sliders, Meyer lemon pasta, and orecchiette. Every plate was practically licked cleaned. Then came the desserts, which we FOUGHT over - strawberry shortcake and simply the best bread pudding known to man or woman. The wine list is small, but very well composed and priced. The atmosphere was incredibly flexible - not too loud, friendly, well lit, and could easily be a date night setting, but still worked well for a family of four. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in uptownSFDinerDined on 6/26/2014Found this restaurant online at the last minute and decided to give it a try. Was impressed by the short but eclectic menu. We went for lunch and tried many of the dishes recommended by our waitress and were very pleased! The people were very friendly and seemed actually happy we were there (don't find that at many restaurants). Costs were reasonable and quality was high! Environment was industrial chic but very comfortable. Now we have to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gem ...VittorioDined on 6/21/2014The ambiance and food here are unmistakeably good. Most definitely a neighborhood gem, and for those going to a show they are aware of times and will try their best to get you there (Fox, New Parish). Oh, try the Duck Liver Mousse and the pork loin....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome spotmehmehmehDined on 6/18/2014we went for brunch. i wasn't a fan of my salad, but the sliders were great. also the service was wonderful. nice neighborhood area--cool venue :) definitely a bright, cool spot. I would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/14/2014I've been at Mockingbird twice. Both times loved the food. Very fresh and tasty!Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurantsRosy4uDined on 6/14/2014Love this restaurant...a gem. The food is excellent with a romantic atmosphere. I keep coming back because I can't stop thinking about the food.Special Features:
- great findjandfVIPDined on 6/12/2014I'm thrilled to find this gem in my neighborhood. The food is delicious, the service enthusiastic and excellent, and the space is really lovely. It's my new go-to for business lunches. I can't wait to try it for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promising new restaurantjaz2020VIPDined on 6/5/2014Mockingbird hits a few home runs but some equally big misses. Duck liver mousse was great, but trout salad was sabotaged by sloppily-cut pickled onions and even worse cucumber-dill salad that had the most sulphuric, unpleasant raw green onions I've encountered in 45 yrs of dining. The burger sliders were delightful, old fashioned buns and super-tasty patties. But the orechiette was a disaster: so undercooked it was crunchy in the middle. I sent it back to be redone; 2nd bowl was only marginally better cooked but came swimming in bacon grease. Dish concept good; execution was -star. But panna cotta was divine so we ended on a good note. Service okay but really slows down as place fills up. Potential is here; only time will tell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dishes, could use more vegGregbobDined on 6/3/2014We had the pork torchon and brussels sprouts starters. Both excellent - the torchon is like a nice crab cake, but with pulled pork. The brussels sprouts are a great addition to the emerging East Bay Brussels Sprout trend: roasty, rich, with a great combination of little sauces. We went for the pork loin and the burgers, both of which were quite good. The space is well lit, it's reasonably quiet (nice jazz), spacious, and parking was no problem for us on a weeknight. Check it out. Critiques: It's not like Oakland is suffering for cocktails these days, but it's kind of expected for this kind of place. Bigger critique is the lack of vegetables - even if they came as sides, that would be good.Special Features:
- I LOVE THIS PLACEHSauceDined on 5/24/2014That is pretty much all I have to say besides I eat there about 3 times a month and its always GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promising SpotKiddendadVIPDined on 5/24/2014Inventive cooking, focus on local ingredients. The pork torchon was complex and delicious, the Moroccan chicken ingredients blended less well and was slightly over-cooked. Very nice bread puddingSpecial Features:
- Delicious!WellingtonianDined on 5/23/2014Loved the food, the space is lovely with high airy ceilings, nice decor and layout, service was friendly and well-meaning, and it was easy to hear our conversation. The dishes are just slightly different -- a Moroccan-inspired roast chicken was not overwhelmingly seasoned with middle-eastern spices, there was just enough of a hint, and it was perfectly cooked, with utterly moist meat, and thin, crispy skin - delicious! There was a summer squash salad whose dressing had a hint of mint -- refreshing and delicious. The location is a little edgy, but in the part of Oakland that is attracting more and more restaurants. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014There were four of us and we each had a different entree. It was delicious! and looked beautiful, too.Special Features:
- Nice Spot in Upcoming NeighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/16/2014Mockingbird is a really nice and interesting space with big windows with shear cafe curtains that give a sense of space but block the busy and uninteresting street in front. The menu is small but a good range of choices. Three people shared two tasty salads, trout and mixed lettuces, and both were excellent--dressings very nice. Then we shared one roasted pork entree that was accompanied by huge white beans and was delicious. Plenty to eat and very satisfying. This was my second visit, and it will be on my list of regulars. Very good.Special Features:
- OverratedBsgfDined on 5/10/2014Food was simple and lacked seasoning. Portions were gigantic. Cost us $100 for a dinner for two that I could have made at home myself. Will not be returning.
- disappointedneighborDined on 5/10/2014Our first experience a few weeks ago was very good and we were anxious to return. This time the food was only fair. Salad was not dressed properly; Main course salmon came with cold cous cous and very few vegis. Presentation mediocre. Will try once more before recommending
- great mealoldtimedinerDined on 5/8/2014My wife and I dined at Mockingbird for an early evening meal. The waitress was attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu, able to point out the specific ingredients which gave each dish their distinctive flavours. My wife is on a low sodium diet and the chef accommodated her particular need. We started with the duck liver mousse with a strawberry compote on the side. The mousse was excellent, the compote added a unique twist. For entrees we had the mussel and clam fideo and the steak. The fideo was a large dish, mounds of mussels and clams and a good portion of pasta noodles. The steak came medium rare as I ordered and the frites were crispy. Overall a very good meal in a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Surprising findOaklandFoodieVIPDined on 5/7/2014Oakland has so many excellent restaurants that I didn't think there could be yet another one BUT Mockingbird is. The kale endive salad was wonderful as were the main dishes - salmon and Moroccan style chicken. Welcome to Oakland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 47 reviews are from the Mockingbird reviews archive.
- "Mock" "ing" "bird" "yeah?" "yeah!"doyouservecornedbeefhashDined on 5/1/2014Aside from my brain's unfortunate association of the word Mockingbird with the 'duet' from Dumb and Dumber, I had a great dinner here with my wife. Wine was very good (Syrah and Pinot Noir), warm bread and salted butter always nice, friendly staff, on point water glass mgmt. One of the starter salads (butter leaf?) was 4/10. Just blah. The other app was 8/10, asparagus with egg and manchego. Entrees were great. Pork medallions were a little hyper-brined, but delicious saline sponges nonetheless. My bistek was cooked to perfection, but was surprised at the pile of french fries it came with; Kennebecquois potato, sorry. Dessert was panna cotta and was delicious. Frosted window could've been a shower door for all I know, hence -2 ambience.
- Great dinnerAnonymousDined on 4/29/2014Excellent food, friendly and good service. The chef stopped by our table and gave us excellent recommendations.
- 91st birthday lunch for our FriendTheEmpDined on 4/29/2014The appetizer was Brussels Sprouts, which all three of us did not like as children, but had to eat. Tasha, our hostess, encouraged us to give it a try and we actually liked the crispy sprouts. Our entrees were very good, I especially liked the pulled pork on a Cuban Pretzel. We liked the recommended Rosé and Chardonnay. We were going to have coffee at our friend's new retirement apartment, but Tasha knew of the birthday and brought us delicious truffles as a treat. We liked the food, ambiance and location, but the best were Tasha and the staff who took such wonderful care of us. Since the Mockingbird is in our friend's new neighborhood, we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- ConsistencyBzerkeleyVIPDined on 4/26/2014Love this neighborhood restaurant! The food is just amazing and from night to night, the attention to detail does not disappoint. Each dish is well conceived and executed. Layers of taste and texture. The service can sometimes be a little spotty --- not sure why, there is adequate staff but they can sometimes become distracted by other activities.