Houston, TX 77019Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mockingbirdbistro.com/
- Phone: 7135330200x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:00pm
Dinner:Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: John Sheely
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Rolando Angel at 713-533-0200.
A word from Mockingbird Bistro
Mockingbird Bistro Wine Bar combines Sheely’s Texas roots with a style of cooking that he knows well, that of the Riviera, specifically the French Riviera. At Mockingbird, the feel of the menu is "country-French-meets-American-market." Sheely updates the menu seasonally to take advantage of the ingredients available at-market, as well as to give him the freedom to exercise his creativity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Mockingbird Bistro - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Montrose ›
Mockingbird Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (127)special occasion (122)fit for foodies (106)romantic (106)notable wine list (72)great for lunch (56)good for groups (43)great for brunch (36)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- It is goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We eat out special restaurants every 2 weeks. This was very good. Not great! For me a rating of very good is good. Great comes under the heading for super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for restaurant weeksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014The menu was very delightful, each dish was beautiful, delicious & very well prepared. Our server was knowledgeable but seemed to disappear a bit later during our meal. We tried to order French press coffee, unsuccessfully. She only knew about Expresso. We will return to the location because the food was very good, reasonable and my wife works in the Medical Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decor. Super ambianceantchamDined on 8/29/2014Attractive setting for an urban French restaurant reminscent of "New Orleans in Houston".Special Features:
- Stuffed shirt R.O. servicejimminycricketDined on 8/28/2014The food is ok, not stellar, nothing to report. Service is decidedly River Oaks 1980s stuffy. It's a bar masquerading as an expensive restaurant. We arrived around 6:40p; the bar was still crowded, not many tables were filled. We were asked if we came for dinner [yes], and then sat at our table for fifteen minutes or so with no menus or word from a waiter. Overall, got the impression they preferred to sell us a cocktail instead of dinner. Would go into details but am limited in this space. Rating is for dining experience; have no opinion regarding the bar though it did appear well stocked.Special Features:
- KBsTake on Mockingbird BistroKeithVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food and service! Super ambiance. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I am an out-of-Towner and asked someone to recommend a good restaurant to go with my son. It was a pleasure to dine there. The food was excellent, and the service was prompt a cordial. It is more expensive than others but it was worth every penny we spent. I give this restaurant 7 Starts...... I have actually recommended to everyone I know that travels to Houston in my office.Special Features:
- Houston Restaurant Week find4423Dined on 8/27/2014As we entered Mockingbird Bistro we were greeted by the host. We had made reservations and a friend was in a wheelchair, but they had a table up close to the entrance ready for us. There were 3 of us. For appetizer we had caesar salad, and salmon tartar. For our main meal we each got something different (vegetable plate, sliced steak, chicken) so we were able to taste everything and it was delicious. For dessert we all got the ricotta cheesecake and it also was delicious. Overall our food and service was wonderful. Would we go again, YES, in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceRush2eatDined on 8/25/2014We had a great dinner despite the first server dropping 4 glasses of ice water right on the table. Luckily everyone was not seated yet so no major catastrophe here! They were low on the stock of some of their beers and ale and was surprised at that! Waiter was good and no complaints there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyWindyCityDinersDined on 8/25/2014We're out of town visitors. A friend recommended this place as cozy neighborhood dinning. We went with the restaurant week tasting menu. I choose the steak and my husband went with the pork chop. I started with Salmon Tartare. It was nice start but bland for my taste bud. The steak was cooked to my preference medium rare, a bit on the medium side, I did not taste any seasoning and the mushroom sauce was bland. My husband pork chop was cooked to his preference. It came with purple cabbage and mashed potatoes. I can't comment on his meal but he said it was ok. I should have ordered off the regular menu but thought for $45 it was for the good cause. Overall the place is very nice but the taste does not match the $$$$.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute place in the neighborhoodalchsDined on 8/23/2014Thought we were driving to someone's house, then pulled up to this great restaurant. Service was fast, food was good, cute atmosphere, met all expectations for the night.Special Features:
- AnnavandyDined on 8/22/2014It looks small from the outside, but there is plenty of room and romantic atmosphere. The food was high quality and consistently good. We had a wide variety from the menu, and everyone practically licked their plates.Special Features:
- Birthday luncheonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Very intimate and lovely surroundings. Great food and service. We all had something different and we all 3 very pleased. Esp the bread pudding for dessert! All 3 of us will return with our families soonSpecial Features:
- Great food, superb serviceAnngVIPDined on 8/20/2014I had not been to this restaurant in a long time and I was quickly reminded of how awesome the food really is here - I plan to return soon. I had a restaurant week lunch special and everything was perfect, and the presentation of the food was great. All of it was yummy - the caesar salad, the salmon, and the flourless chocolate cake. The 3.5 ounce glass was also a nice touch for those of us who did not have to return to work in the afternoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lunch I've had for rest. weekTdub01Dined on 8/19/2014My friend and I went here for lunch for Houston Restaurant week. We were seated right away and service was very friendly and attentive. I had the tuna tartare and my friend had the gazpacho. Both were delicious and the portions were ample. For the entrée I had the beef strip steak and my friend had the chicken. We were so full after that we had our deserts to go. I've been here before and the food had always been just as enjoyable. Houston restaurant week reminded me how great they are. I would definitely recommend to anyone that enjoys great food and a romantic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely as alwaysLagosgirlVIPDined on 8/19/2014We went for a work celebration lunch and it was perfect. We ordered off the Houston Food Week menu which had great choices. I enjoyed the salmon tartar, steak and chocolate cake. My co-worker had the chicken and break pudding. We both enjoyed our lunches.Special Features:
- Good eatsFoodieFiendDined on 8/15/2014I thought calling calamari "baby squid" made for an anti-climactic experience. It is just calamari and not too special at that. I think $6.50 for bottled water is a little excessive. The food is good, however, I think the prices are more in line with exceptional food and nothing that we had was at that level. Our waitress was a little sparse; pleasant but not particularly attentive. Completed dishes stayed on the table longer than they should have. Probably would not go back based on the value of the menu. Meal was $130 without drinks. Should have been better.Special Features:
- Good, but not outstandingWoWme16Dined on 8/15/2014The place was busy. We were greeted right away and they were nice. Went to the bar before getting seated, but nobody paid attention to us. It happened to other people there as well. I understand they were busy, but they were so busy they looked upset, even at each other. Good thing we got seated about 10 minutes after we went to the bar. Service was good but not outstanding. The waiter looked like he had more to learn. The food was very good. My wife and I were able to have good conversation while we ate. I have been wanting to come here for over a year now. I am glad we did, but we will keep trying new places. You have to WOW your customers with good service and good food.Special Features:
- Great find!KrystynPVIPDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I dined there for Houston restaurant week. Food was very good- not outstanding. Service was great ! I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School ItalianHtownfoodDined on 8/15/2014This is and old style Italian restaurant. It had a very heavy decor feel (ie velvet and iron gates). The food was good but nothing spectacular. It seemed like a great spot for a fancy business lunch.Special Features:
- HRW LunchmarilybDined on 8/14/2014My daughter and I enjoyed a very nice lunch here. The service was great and we were glad they offered vegetarian options as she does not eat meat. The food was presented simply and beautifully. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MRD65Dined on 8/14/2014Our group of five had a wonderful time at lunch during Houston Restaurant Weeks. Mockingbird Bistro went above and beyond what any diner would expect from a Houston Restautant Weeks lunch menu. My steak was incredible... the fries and aoli the best. The flourless chocolate cake was simply divine. We left with no doggie bags because we could not stop eating... no leftovers. It was our first time there, but not our last. Thank you, MBB, for participating in this August fundraiser.Special Features:
- Splendid LunchOut2LunchVIPDined on 8/13/2014As usual, Mockingbird served a fabulous lunch. Houston Restaurant Weeks choices were excellent. If you've never had one......ask for the Blackberry Martini!Special Features:
- Fabulous foodLadyofthelakeDined on 8/13/2014Great HRW menu. Took a group from work for lunch. My vegetarian raved about the selections available and the fantastic flavor of the food. Everyone was very impressed and this will be a new lunch rotation for usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be backphillygirlDined on 8/12/2014I ate here for the first time during Houston Restaurant Weeks. I was so pleased to discover that Mockingbird Bistro does put their best foot forward during this month. I use the Restaurant Weeks to try restaurants that have been 'on my list' to see if I would like to return. I've found (unfortunately) that some restaurants do not make their best effort during Restaurant Weeks and because of that some restaurants that I used to frequent no longer get my business. I'm very happy to report that I was delighted with the menu offerings that MB had and the food, service and decor were excellent. Mockingbird, you've earned a new regular customer!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I have been going to mockingbird bistro for about a year now, and I have never been disappointed. I took my girlfriend there last night for a romantic dinner. The food was wonderful, the service was perfect, and the atmosphere was great for a quiet, romantic evening for two. Would definitely recommend the restaurant for any occasion. The happy hour cocktails are great, and so is the bar food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurprisefoodnwineDined on 8/8/2014I randomly chose this restaurant from the Restaurant Week list and it was a great choice. The food was delicious and the service staff was very attentive. The wedge salad was the best I'd ever had. I would recommend this place to celebrate important occasions or a nice date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent HRW lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Went with a group of 4 guys and everyone loved every single bit of the lunch. From the bread basket to the immaculate service, everything was spot on. I had the Gazpacha, pasta and cheese cake and everything was done just right. Got to try some of the sliced steak which was amazing and was a good sized portion too. Chicken was well cooked and the guys couldn't stop raving about the VEGGIES! Overall one of the best value meals i've ever had. Will definitely make a trip back for the regular menu.Special Features:
- Nice Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Fine food, within the drive-able distance from work. Nice hidden gemSpecial Features:
- Always a great mealJulieDined on 8/7/2014Love this restaurant - and the salmon dish I had was probably the most wonderful fish dinner I've ever had . Fabulous! And with their participation in Houston's Restaurant Week a $7 donation was made to the Food Bank. Always consistent - a bit pricey - but a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Vegetarian menu quite deliciousLalkaDined on 8/7/2014The gazpacho, although a little on the sweet side which was a novelty, was very good. The vegetable plate was awesome. The desserts were all wonderful, but the Flourless chocolate Cake was the best. Being vegetarian and diabetic, I would have preferred more gazpacho and veggies and a smaller piece of cake, but overall the portions were fine. My companion had the NY strip steak and said it was delicious, but her only vegetable was French fries, which we though a little odd. There were some mushrooms on the plate, but no other vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!CKatDined on 8/6/2014This was my first time at Mockingbird Bistro; I don't know how I've been missing this place! I went with a friend for a girl's night out dinner. We were seated immediately (we had a reservation), the foos was amazing, service was spot on, they have a great wine list, and I loved the decor. It was a little pricey, but it was worth every penny, in my opinion. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great For LuchHolostoiVIPDined on 8/6/2014Wether it is a romantic, general, or business lunch, this location is great. The food came out perfect and service was second to none. I will definetly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MockingbirdOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Always a pleasant experience at this restaurant. From the food, to the cocktails and from the ambience to the friendly, knowledgable service, this place is a true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent !NeferisaDined on 8/3/2014Only critic : They announced they are doing HRW for lunch and don't do it on Sundays ...Special Features:
- Great mealDavemattmanDined on 8/2/2014Shared a very nice evening out with good friends. Kobe beef burger was exceptional, seared scallops were great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb birthday lunchVanDineSelDined on 8/1/2014Lunch for my friend's bday was great. Outstanding food, wine and service with Joe. Will definitely be back for special occasion or just because. Love mockingbird!Special Features:
- Excellent for Restaurant weeks02jbnDined on 8/1/2014Loved the restaurant weeks lunch menu. Great deserts!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week GemMaryPDined on 8/1/2014Great menu for the Houston Food Bank Restaurant Weeks pick. First time there and will be back.Special Features:
- food disappointingalwayshopefulDined on 7/31/2014we had picked this place for a goodbye lunch-although service was lovely the food disappointed. Overcooked fish and a entree salad of less than average size. prices were not in line with this quality.
- Outstanding!foodislovefoodislifeDined on 7/28/2014My girlfriends and I got all dressed up and were looking for a nice restaurant. We found it at the Mockingbird Bistro. The staff was wonderful and we were seated immediately. They serve local bread with great pesto and olive oil and their wine menu was impressive. Although the menu seemed pricey the food was worth every penny. I doubt you can go wrong with anything on their menu. The chicken was so good I almost shed a tear after my first bite. Everything was cooked to perfection and the flavors were enchanting. I gave this restaurant 5 stars because I couldn't give it 6! We will definitely be returning.Special Features: