Houston, TX 77019Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mockingbirdbistro.com/
- Phone: 7135330200x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:00pm
Dinner:Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: John Sheely
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Rolando Angel at 713-533-0200.
A word from Mockingbird Bistro
Mockingbird Bistro Wine Bar combines Sheely’s Texas roots with a style of cooking that he knows well, that of the Riviera, specifically the French Riviera. At Mockingbird, the feel of the menu is "country-French-meets-American-market." Sheely updates the menu seasonally to take advantage of the ingredients available at-market, as well as to give him the freedom to exercise his creativity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mockingbird Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (126)special occasion (124)romantic (109)fit for foodies (108)notable wine list (73)great for lunch (54)good for groups (44)great for brunch (35)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (12)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good but pricey for what u getJohnSFVIPDined on 10/22/2014Great they have foie gras which is why I went. But prep as not as skilled as other fine restaurants. No fruit/wine reductions with it. Kobe burger for $32 was not that great for the priceSpecial Features:
- Awesome Business Dinner!TexasEx91VIPDined on 10/22/2014Could not have been a better venue or meal for a serious business discussion. Thanks!!!Special Features:
- Lovely, as AlwaysHM215VIPDined on 10/15/2014Extremely tough to beat MB for the overall experience. It's just a really, really nice, low-key, unpretentious place to have a great dinner. The food and service are invariably excellent, but it's really the overall atmosphere and vibe that keeps us coming back and gushing over it every time we go. Lotta restaurants provide great food and service (and a lot don't), but very few can do what MB does. Dying to try to his new Italian Osteria. We loved our swordfish/crabcake special and scallops, and the completely BA bread pudding/cinnamon ice cream for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodpoliceDined on 10/15/2014Great food great atmosphere the entire group really loved itSpecial Features:
- Loved it!Vivaviv1Dined on 10/12/2014First time to restaurant. Food was excellent and service was good. It was quiet, and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed the food a lot. expensive but worth it for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hamburger!SkattyDined on 10/11/2014Going back. Great service, nice atmosphere, ended up as a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a romantic dinnerThePanamanianDined on 10/10/2014Me and my girlfriend at the Mockingjay Bistro for our five year anniversary, and everything from the ambiance to the food was excellent. My girlfriend had an off-menu dinner recommended by the chef (which I must admit was the better plate), and I had the "Bouillabaisse", which was amazing. Dinner came out to around $140 with tip- but this was mostly because of the off-menu dinner. Will definitively come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in Houston.ThirdDined on 10/10/2014Everything was great from walking in to wslking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top tier restaurant!Great4couplesVIPDined on 10/10/2014Rewarding dining experience Top tier service, excellent ambience, delicious food Expensive, but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryImpressedDined on 10/7/2014You could not find a better spot in Houston for a quiet, romantic night to celebrate a special occasion with your significant other. Thanks, Mockingbird, for a great evening. Let them know in advance of your occasion and receive a quiet extra on the house.Special Features:
- Consistently wonderfulLeslieDined on 10/6/2014Thanks for being consistently wonderful. I can always count on you to impress and delight my guests.Special Features:
- Good food and service as alwaysLokeVIPDined on 10/5/2014Celebrated my daughter's birthday and we were pleasantly surprise with her free dessert and wishes. Nice touch.Special Features:
- Great aniversary setting!DavenRoxyDined on 10/4/2014Our first time dining here. This will be our place to impress out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!CareBearDined on 10/3/2014Our food was delicious, the wine was excellent and our server, Caitlin, was outstanding and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Food n service qualityKritikfoodieDined on 10/3/2014They only had one bottle left of the wine and also one bottle left of the champagne we wanted that we have to make do with whatever that was similar. Reason was its end of the month but we were there early October. We wEre informed of the dinner special and ordered them but the service staff came back later informing us that they ran out of one of the special. Further to that the sides were salty n a wrong order were made-they seem to ignore our comment about the extra order and the salt content. The food was not as good. In fact many of us didn't finish our food and none of the service staff seemed to care. We've been here a couple of times and remembered good service and food. But this time we are definitely not coming back.
- Had a great time.AwesomeNightDined on 9/29/2014Took my wife out for a romantic night in the city, we had a great time. Loved the place, the food was amazing and the service was even better. I will definately be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and service.dtabtxDined on 9/27/2014This was our first time (5 diners) at Mockingbird Bistro, and the evening couldn't have been better. Service and food were both excellent. Everyone's food was excellent - flavors, style, and presentation. The wait-staff worked together to ensure every request was met. Absolutely a top-notch dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but overpriced!JJRJVIPDined on 9/27/2014This has been a favorite of ours for years, but paying $56 for a dry veal chop is ridiculous. And their infamous hamburger is now $32! With so many other restaurants in Houston, we won't be back for a while. Too bad.Special Features:
- Delicious DiningBeckyDMcVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had the pleasure for dining at Mockingbird Bistro prior to attending the theatre. We were seated quickly. Our server was informative and professional. I ordered one of the specialty cocktails and it was inventive and tasty. Our whole meal was delicious, we each had different entrees and all of our group of 4 enjoyed our choices. Desserts were perfect to finish off a fabulous meal. We were never rushed but we also finished with plenty of time prior to the theatre. We will be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for my birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014My wife took me to the Mockingbird Bistro for my birthday. My wife had the scallops and I had the lamb shank special. Both of them were excellent. Couple of good zinfandels on the "by the glass" wine list...making an already good meal even better. Chocolate cake and coffee topped off a delicious meal. With great service and a nice atmosphere Mockingbird is becoming one of our favorites.Special Features:
- almost missed our eventOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014Stated we had tickets to a special event and server said no problem and then drug her feet at every turn restaurant was not busy or understaffed had to consume food in 1o minutes...disapponted. DisappontingSpecial Features:
- wonderfulLadybugVIPDined on 9/20/2014Excellent food, and wonderful romantic ambience! Bar scene a bit too noisy, but tolerable. Seafood boullabaise reminded me of our recent trip to Marseille.Special Features:
- Top NotchGigiDined on 9/20/2014Mockingbird Bistro is great from start to finish. Kiwi Mojito was super as was the bread to nibble on while we waited for our food. Salad was so fresh and soup delicious. Entrees were beautifully presented. Service was outstanding. Don't miss this fabulous restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mockingbirds sang for my baby boy!2clinkORnot2clinkDined on 9/14/2014Nestled between what looks like just a beautiful neighborhood is an amazing little find Mockingbirds Restaurant. Was fantastic for brunch as my 24yr old sons birthday. Best choice was the French toast, WOW! The fresh fruit on top of it was perfect and the strawberry butter that is served with it was a paring out of this world. The eggs were the only disappointing part of our meal. As I ordered over medium and scramble was also ordered for another in our party. Both plates of eggs came out over hard. Oh well. They were still enjoyable and they brought my son the most beautiful chocolate truffles, with fresh mint and hand written happy birthday scrolls across the plate. Clink on & enjoy the mimosas too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Katilian was an outstanding server! She was polite, attentive and very helpful. We will return and ask for her. Thank you, Mike McGinnisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMarkDined on 9/9/2014We were excited based on the pics, the location, the reviews and word of mouth, but it was average at best. The wine list is great and the service is very good, but the food is average at best.Special Features:
- It is goodlovegreatfoodDined on 8/30/2014We eat out special restaurants every 2 weeks. This was very good. Not great! For me a rating of very good is good. Great comes under the heading for super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonnderful!foodislovefoodislifeDined on 8/30/2014My boyfriend and I came here for our 1 year anniversary and it was just perfect! The staff was pleasant and the food was amazing. We will definently be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for restaurant weeksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014The menu was very delightful, each dish was beautiful, delicious & very well prepared. Our server was knowledgeable but seemed to disappear a bit later during our meal. We tried to order French press coffee, unsuccessfully. She only knew about Expresso. We will return to the location because the food was very good, reasonable and my wife works in the Medical Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decor. Super ambianceantchamDined on 8/29/2014Attractive setting for an urban French restaurant reminscent of "New Orleans in Houston".Special Features:
- Stuffed shirt R.O. servicejimminycricketDined on 8/28/2014The food is ok, not stellar, nothing to report. Service is decidedly River Oaks 1980s stuffy. It's a bar masquerading as an expensive restaurant. We arrived around 6:40p; the bar was still crowded, not many tables were filled. We were asked if we came for dinner [yes], and then sat at our table for fifteen minutes or so with no menus or word from a waiter. Overall, got the impression they preferred to sell us a cocktail instead of dinner. Would go into details but am limited in this space. Rating is for dining experience; have no opinion regarding the bar though it did appear well stocked.Special Features:
- KBsTake on Mockingbird BistroKeithVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food and service! Super ambiance. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good SurpriseMiamivisitorDined on 8/27/2014I am an out-of-Towner and asked someone to recommend a good restaurant to go with my son. It was a pleasure to dine there. The food was excellent, and the service was prompt a cordial. It is more expensive than others but it was worth every penny we spent. I give this restaurant 7 Starts...... I have actually recommended to everyone I know that travels to Houston in my office.Special Features:
- Houston Restaurant Week find4423Dined on 8/27/2014As we entered Mockingbird Bistro we were greeted by the host. We had made reservations and a friend was in a wheelchair, but they had a table up close to the entrance ready for us. There were 3 of us. For appetizer we had caesar salad, and salmon tartar. For our main meal we each got something different (vegetable plate, sliced steak, chicken) so we were able to taste everything and it was delicious. For dessert we all got the ricotta cheesecake and it also was delicious. Overall our food and service was wonderful. Would we go again, YES, in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceRush2eatDined on 8/25/2014We had a great dinner despite the first server dropping 4 glasses of ice water right on the table. Luckily everyone was not seated yet so no major catastrophe here! They were low on the stock of some of their beers and ale and was surprised at that! Waiter was good and no complaints there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyWindyCityDinersDined on 8/25/2014We're out of town visitors. A friend recommended this place as cozy neighborhood dinning. We went with the restaurant week tasting menu. I choose the steak and my husband went with the pork chop. I started with Salmon Tartare. It was nice start but bland for my taste bud. The steak was cooked to my preference medium rare, a bit on the medium side, I did not taste any seasoning and the mushroom sauce was bland. My husband pork chop was cooked to his preference. It came with purple cabbage and mashed potatoes. I can't comment on his meal but he said it was ok. I should have ordered off the regular menu but thought for $45 it was for the good cause. Overall the place is very nice but the taste does not match the $$$$.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute place in the neighborhoodalchsDined on 8/23/2014Thought we were driving to someone's house, then pulled up to this great restaurant. Service was fast, food was good, cute atmosphere, met all expectations for the night.Special Features:
- AnnavandyDined on 8/22/2014It looks small from the outside, but there is plenty of room and romantic atmosphere. The food was high quality and consistently good. We had a wide variety from the menu, and everyone practically licked their plates.Special Features:
- Birthday luncheonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Very intimate and lovely surroundings. Great food and service. We all had something different and we all 3 very pleased. Esp the bread pudding for dessert! All 3 of us will return with our families soonSpecial Features: