Houston, TX 77019Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mockingbirdbistro.com/
- Phone: 7135330200x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:00pm
Dinner:Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: John Sheely
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Rolando Angel at 713-533-0200.
A word from Mockingbird Bistro
Mockingbird Bistro Wine Bar combines Sheely’s Texas roots with a style of cooking that he knows well, that of the Riviera, specifically the French Riviera. At Mockingbird, the feel of the menu is "country-French-meets-American-market." Sheely updates the menu seasonally to take advantage of the ingredients available at-market, as well as to give him the freedom to exercise his creativity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mockingbird Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (124)special occasion (121)fit for foodies (107)romantic (105)notable wine list (69)great for lunch (56)good for groups (44)great for brunch (35)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (10)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Had a great time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Took my wife out for a romantic night in the city, we had a great time. Loved the place, the food was amazing and the service was even better. I will definately be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014This was our first time (5 diners) at Mockingbird Bistro, and the evening couldn't have been better. Service and food were both excellent. Everyone's food was excellent - flavors, style, and presentation. The wait-staff worked together to ensure every request was met. Absolutely a top-notch dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but overpriced!JJRJVIPDined on 9/27/2014This has been a favorite of ours for years, but paying $56 for a dry veal chop is ridiculous. And their infamous hamburger is now $32! With so many other restaurants in Houston, we won't be back for a while. Too bad.Special Features:
- Delicious DiningBeckyDMcVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had the pleasure for dining at Mockingbird Bistro prior to attending the theatre. We were seated quickly. Our server was informative and professional. I ordered one of the specialty cocktails and it was inventive and tasty. Our whole meal was delicious, we each had different entrees and all of our group of 4 enjoyed our choices. Desserts were perfect to finish off a fabulous meal. We were never rushed but we also finished with plenty of time prior to the theatre. We will be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for my birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014My wife took me to the Mockingbird Bistro for my birthday. My wife had the scallops and I had the lamb shank special. Both of them were excellent. Couple of good zinfandels on the "by the glass" wine list...making an already good meal even better. Chocolate cake and coffee topped off a delicious meal. With great service and a nice atmosphere Mockingbird is becoming one of our favorites.Special Features:
- almost missed our eventOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014Stated we had tickets to a special event and server said no problem and then drug her feet at every turn restaurant was not busy or understaffed had to consume food in 1o minutes...disapponted. DisappontingSpecial Features:
- wonderfulLadybugVIPDined on 9/20/2014Excellent food, and wonderful romantic ambience! Bar scene a bit too noisy, but tolerable. Seafood boullabaise reminded me of our recent trip to Marseille.Special Features:
- Top NotchGigiDined on 9/20/2014Mockingbird Bistro is great from start to finish. Kiwi Mojito was super as was the bread to nibble on while we waited for our food. Salad was so fresh and soup delicious. Entrees were beautifully presented. Service was outstanding. Don't miss this fabulous restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mockingbirds sang for my baby boy!2clinkORnot2clinkDined on 9/14/2014Nestled between what looks like just a beautiful neighborhood is an amazing little find Mockingbirds Restaurant. Was fantastic for brunch as my 24yr old sons birthday. Best choice was the French toast, WOW! The fresh fruit on top of it was perfect and the strawberry butter that is served with it was a paring out of this world. The eggs were the only disappointing part of our meal. As I ordered over medium and scramble was also ordered for another in our party. Both plates of eggs came out over hard. Oh well. They were still enjoyable and they brought my son the most beautiful chocolate truffles, with fresh mint and hand written happy birthday scrolls across the plate. Clink on & enjoy the mimosas too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Katilian was an outstanding server! She was polite, attentive and very helpful. We will return and ask for her. Thank you, Mike McGinnisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMarkDined on 9/9/2014We were excited based on the pics, the location, the reviews and word of mouth, but it was average at best. The wine list is great and the service is very good, but the food is average at best.Special Features:
- It is goodlovegreatfoodDined on 8/30/2014We eat out special restaurants every 2 weeks. This was very good. Not great! For me a rating of very good is good. Great comes under the heading for super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonnderful!foodislovefoodislifeDined on 8/30/2014My boyfriend and I came here for our 1 year anniversary and it was just perfect! The staff was pleasant and the food was amazing. We will definently be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for restaurant weeksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014The menu was very delightful, each dish was beautiful, delicious & very well prepared. Our server was knowledgeable but seemed to disappear a bit later during our meal. We tried to order French press coffee, unsuccessfully. She only knew about Expresso. We will return to the location because the food was very good, reasonable and my wife works in the Medical Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decor. Super ambianceantchamDined on 8/29/2014Attractive setting for an urban French restaurant reminscent of "New Orleans in Houston".Special Features:
- Stuffed shirt R.O. servicejimminycricketDined on 8/28/2014The food is ok, not stellar, nothing to report. Service is decidedly River Oaks 1980s stuffy. It's a bar masquerading as an expensive restaurant. We arrived around 6:40p; the bar was still crowded, not many tables were filled. We were asked if we came for dinner [yes], and then sat at our table for fifteen minutes or so with no menus or word from a waiter. Overall, got the impression they preferred to sell us a cocktail instead of dinner. Would go into details but am limited in this space. Rating is for dining experience; have no opinion regarding the bar though it did appear well stocked.Special Features:
- KBsTake on Mockingbird BistroKeithVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food and service! Super ambiance. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good SurpriseMiamivisitorDined on 8/27/2014I am an out-of-Towner and asked someone to recommend a good restaurant to go with my son. It was a pleasure to dine there. The food was excellent, and the service was prompt a cordial. It is more expensive than others but it was worth every penny we spent. I give this restaurant 7 Starts...... I have actually recommended to everyone I know that travels to Houston in my office.Special Features:
- Houston Restaurant Week find4423Dined on 8/27/2014As we entered Mockingbird Bistro we were greeted by the host. We had made reservations and a friend was in a wheelchair, but they had a table up close to the entrance ready for us. There were 3 of us. For appetizer we had caesar salad, and salmon tartar. For our main meal we each got something different (vegetable plate, sliced steak, chicken) so we were able to taste everything and it was delicious. For dessert we all got the ricotta cheesecake and it also was delicious. Overall our food and service was wonderful. Would we go again, YES, in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceRush2eatDined on 8/25/2014We had a great dinner despite the first server dropping 4 glasses of ice water right on the table. Luckily everyone was not seated yet so no major catastrophe here! They were low on the stock of some of their beers and ale and was surprised at that! Waiter was good and no complaints there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyWindyCityDinersDined on 8/25/2014We're out of town visitors. A friend recommended this place as cozy neighborhood dinning. We went with the restaurant week tasting menu. I choose the steak and my husband went with the pork chop. I started with Salmon Tartare. It was nice start but bland for my taste bud. The steak was cooked to my preference medium rare, a bit on the medium side, I did not taste any seasoning and the mushroom sauce was bland. My husband pork chop was cooked to his preference. It came with purple cabbage and mashed potatoes. I can't comment on his meal but he said it was ok. I should have ordered off the regular menu but thought for $45 it was for the good cause. Overall the place is very nice but the taste does not match the $$$$.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute place in the neighborhoodalchsDined on 8/23/2014Thought we were driving to someone's house, then pulled up to this great restaurant. Service was fast, food was good, cute atmosphere, met all expectations for the night.Special Features:
- AnnavandyDined on 8/22/2014It looks small from the outside, but there is plenty of room and romantic atmosphere. The food was high quality and consistently good. We had a wide variety from the menu, and everyone practically licked their plates.Special Features:
- Birthday luncheonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Very intimate and lovely surroundings. Great food and service. We all had something different and we all 3 very pleased. Esp the bread pudding for dessert! All 3 of us will return with our families soonSpecial Features:
- Great food, superb serviceAnngVIPDined on 8/20/2014I had not been to this restaurant in a long time and I was quickly reminded of how awesome the food really is here - I plan to return soon. I had a restaurant week lunch special and everything was perfect, and the presentation of the food was great. All of it was yummy - the caesar salad, the salmon, and the flourless chocolate cake. The 3.5 ounce glass was also a nice touch for those of us who did not have to return to work in the afternoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lunch I've had for rest. weekTdub01Dined on 8/19/2014My friend and I went here for lunch for Houston Restaurant week. We were seated right away and service was very friendly and attentive. I had the tuna tartare and my friend had the gazpacho. Both were delicious and the portions were ample. For the entrée I had the beef strip steak and my friend had the chicken. We were so full after that we had our deserts to go. I've been here before and the food had always been just as enjoyable. Houston restaurant week reminded me how great they are. I would definitely recommend to anyone that enjoys great food and a romantic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely as alwaysLagosgirlVIPDined on 8/19/2014We went for a work celebration lunch and it was perfect. We ordered off the Houston Food Week menu which had great choices. I enjoyed the salmon tartar, steak and chocolate cake. My co-worker had the chicken and break pudding. We both enjoyed our lunches.Special Features:
- Good eatsFoodieFiendDined on 8/15/2014I thought calling calamari "baby squid" made for an anti-climactic experience. It is just calamari and not too special at that. I think $6.50 for bottled water is a little excessive. The food is good, however, I think the prices are more in line with exceptional food and nothing that we had was at that level. Our waitress was a little sparse; pleasant but not particularly attentive. Completed dishes stayed on the table longer than they should have. Probably would not go back based on the value of the menu. Meal was $130 without drinks. Should have been better.Special Features:
- Good, but not outstandingWoWme16Dined on 8/15/2014The place was busy. We were greeted right away and they were nice. Went to the bar before getting seated, but nobody paid attention to us. It happened to other people there as well. I understand they were busy, but they were so busy they looked upset, even at each other. Good thing we got seated about 10 minutes after we went to the bar. Service was good but not outstanding. The waiter looked like he had more to learn. The food was very good. My wife and I were able to have good conversation while we ate. I have been wanting to come here for over a year now. I am glad we did, but we will keep trying new places. You have to WOW your customers with good service and good food.Special Features:
- Great find!KrystynPVIPDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I dined there for Houston restaurant week. Food was very good- not outstanding. Service was great ! I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School ItalianHtownfoodDined on 8/15/2014This is and old style Italian restaurant. It had a very heavy decor feel (ie velvet and iron gates). The food was good but nothing spectacular. It seemed like a great spot for a fancy business lunch.Special Features:
- HRW LunchmarilybDined on 8/14/2014My daughter and I enjoyed a very nice lunch here. The service was great and we were glad they offered vegetarian options as she does not eat meat. The food was presented simply and beautifully. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MRD65Dined on 8/14/2014Our group of five had a wonderful time at lunch during Houston Restaurant Weeks. Mockingbird Bistro went above and beyond what any diner would expect from a Houston Restautant Weeks lunch menu. My steak was incredible... the fries and aoli the best. The flourless chocolate cake was simply divine. We left with no doggie bags because we could not stop eating... no leftovers. It was our first time there, but not our last. Thank you, MBB, for participating in this August fundraiser.Special Features:
- Great outing all around!GulliverVIPDined on 8/13/20145 of us went for restaurant week. Menu was great - every dish a winner! Service was impeccable. Noise level was comfortable for conversation. Perfect evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid LunchOut2LunchVIPDined on 8/13/2014As usual, Mockingbird served a fabulous lunch. Houston Restaurant Weeks choices were excellent. If you've never had one......ask for the Blackberry Martini!Special Features:
- Fabulous foodLadyofthelakeDined on 8/13/2014Great HRW menu. Took a group from work for lunch. My vegetarian raved about the selections available and the fantastic flavor of the food. Everyone was very impressed and this will be a new lunch rotation for usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be backphillygirlDined on 8/12/2014I ate here for the first time during Houston Restaurant Weeks. I was so pleased to discover that Mockingbird Bistro does put their best foot forward during this month. I use the Restaurant Weeks to try restaurants that have been 'on my list' to see if I would like to return. I've found (unfortunately) that some restaurants do not make their best effort during Restaurant Weeks and because of that some restaurants that I used to frequent no longer get my business. I'm very happy to report that I was delighted with the menu offerings that MB had and the food, service and decor were excellent. Mockingbird, you've earned a new regular customer!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I have been going to mockingbird bistro for about a year now, and I have never been disappointed. I took my girlfriend there last night for a romantic dinner. The food was wonderful, the service was perfect, and the atmosphere was great for a quiet, romantic evening for two. Would definitely recommend the restaurant for any occasion. The happy hour cocktails are great, and so is the bar food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurprisefoodnwineDined on 8/8/2014I randomly chose this restaurant from the Restaurant Week list and it was a great choice. The food was delicious and the service staff was very attentive. The wedge salad was the best I'd ever had. I would recommend this place to celebrate important occasions or a nice date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedKMHoustonVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was my second visit to Mockingbird Bistro and I was disappointed in the service. My first visit was much better. The server offered a wine menu from which we ordered two bottles. We then waited an unreasonable amount of time to even see a food menu. We requested Houston Restaurant Weeks menus and found there was an option to pair wine with each course. When asked about it, the server was not very forthcoming. It was clear she intended to make up for the lower price of restaurant weeks by having us order pricey bottles of wine. The food was decent but two beef dishes were not prepared at the temperature we ordered. Too many fabulous restaurants in Houston to settle for this one.Special Features: