Houston, TX 77019Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mockingbirdbistro.com/
- Phone: (713) 533-0200
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:00pm
Dinner:Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: John Sheely
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Rolando Angel at 713-533-0200.
A word from Mockingbird Bistro
Mockingbird Bistro Wine Bar combines Sheely’s Texas roots with a style of cooking that he knows well, that of the Riviera, specifically the French Riviera. At Mockingbird, the feel of the menu is "country-French-meets-American-market." Sheely updates the menu seasonally to take advantage of the ingredients available at-market, as well as to give him the freedom to exercise his creativity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mockingbird Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (116)special occasion (110)romantic (104)fit for foodies (101)notable wine list (63)great for lunch (52)good for groups (41)great for brunch (30)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/16/2014Our group of four dined on a Sunday....a fact that contributed to our enjoyment. The place was quiet, with few tables occupied. Thus, the wait staff and kitchen were far from stressed. We each had a different entrée: bouillabaisse, steak, duck and lamb shank. All were perfectly prepared and delicious. One reason we return here is that we have always had excellently-prepared food. The fact that it was quiet helped us enjoy the time with our out-of-town guests.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining bistroDocTurkVIPDined on 11/16/2014While the menu is somewhat limited, the quality, presentation and taste of the food are excellent. Also, the service was great, without being intrusive. We will definitely plan to dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab brunchAllieDined on 11/9/2014Great brunch at the Mocking Bird Bistro. 1st visit and would definitely be trying it again for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindcawineoVIPDined on 11/8/2014Wanted a nice quiet meal with a great bottle of wine and found it here. Will be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef John SheelyRoncommentsDined on 11/8/2014he continually puts out a terrific product- the atmosphere is inviting and his staff is helpful and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Perfect Second DatePerfectFirstDateDined on 11/8/2014Mockingbird Bistro is a huge surprise to me. I didn't realize how beautiful this restaurant is. My date was very impressed not only with the ambiance of the restaurant but also the location which is tucked away in a nice neighborhood. Everything was perfect from the parking attendants to the hostess and the wait staff. The food was delightful. The Manager even came to pour our first glass of champagne and welcome us to the restaurant. The night couldn't have been any better for a second date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service by wine sommelierOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014When two men are out at dinner to celebrate their anniversary it should not be assumed that the white guy is paying or ordering the wine. My husband chose and ordered the wine from the waitress. The wine sommelier came up to our table looking only at me and not at my partner and informed me that our selection was not available i directed him to my partner who chose another suitable wine. I found the actions of the sommelier very unprofessional, RUDE, and somewhat bigoted. The waitress and other staff were outstanding as was the foodSpecial Features:
- Terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Service was unbelievably slow. Took an hour and 45 minutes to receive entres. Three people came by the table to tell us the meal was on the way out, each 10 minutes apart. There was obviously a problem in the kitchen and it would have been better if they had told us upfront. Will never return.
- Taken by surprise, or just taken?!CarolDined on 10/31/2014This is a lovely restaurant no doubt about it. After looking over the menu and the price ranges, our waiter informed us of the specials that evening. I ended up ordering the "special" seafood entree which consisted of 3 scallops, 3 shrimp, a small mound of risotto and some peas and carrots on the plate. I was shocked to learn later that my entree cost $55.00! Guess I should have asked beforehand however suppose I made the assumption that the price would be somewhat in line with the other menu items listed. My meal was good, but I would not say it was worth $55.00 good. So buyer beware. This place can be more pricey than you may think. My husband ordered the "kobe" beef burger and wasn't too impressed with it.Special Features:
- Great French BistroKonacallahansVIPDined on 10/27/2014Wonderful food, great selection from the wine list, pleasant and efficient staff, and a comfortable atmoshere. The food was very good, I'm lookin gforward to going back.Special Features:
- Relaxing Sunday BrunchWCR75Dined on 10/26/2014Enjoyed a relaxing Sunday afternoon brunch. Really appreciated the restaurant's decor. The wait staff members were efficient and professional. The starters and the entrees we ordered were delicious. Always appreciate those restaurants that manage their parking with valets rather than leaving their customers to search for parking. We will definitely visit the Mockingbird again.Special Features:
- Good but pricey for what u getJohnSFVIPDined on 10/22/2014Great they have foie gras which is why I went. But prep as not as skilled as other fine restaurants. No fruit/wine reductions with it. Kobe burger for $32 was not that great for the priceSpecial Features:
- Awesome Business Dinner!TexasEx91VIPDined on 10/22/2014Could not have been a better venue or meal for a serious business discussion. Thanks!!!Special Features:
- Lovely, as AlwaysHM215VIPDined on 10/15/2014Extremely tough to beat MB for the overall experience. It's just a really, really nice, low-key, unpretentious place to have a great dinner. The food and service are invariably excellent, but it's really the overall atmosphere and vibe that keeps us coming back and gushing over it every time we go. Lotta restaurants provide great food and service (and a lot don't), but very few can do what MB does. Dying to try to his new Italian Osteria. We loved our swordfish/crabcake special and scallops, and the completely BA bread pudding/cinnamon ice cream for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodpoliceDined on 10/15/2014Great food great atmosphere the entire group really loved itSpecial Features:
- Loved it!Vivaviv1Dined on 10/12/2014First time to restaurant. Food was excellent and service was good. It was quiet, and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed the food a lot. expensive but worth it for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hamburger!SkattyDined on 10/11/2014Going back. Great service, nice atmosphere, ended up as a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a romantic dinnerThePanamanianDined on 10/10/2014Me and my girlfriend at the Mockingjay Bistro for our five year anniversary, and everything from the ambiance to the food was excellent. My girlfriend had an off-menu dinner recommended by the chef (which I must admit was the better plate), and I had the "Bouillabaisse", which was amazing. Dinner came out to around $140 with tip- but this was mostly because of the off-menu dinner. Will definitively come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in Houston.ThirdDined on 10/10/2014Everything was great from walking in to wslking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top tier restaurant!Great4couplesVIPDined on 10/10/2014Rewarding dining experience Top tier service, excellent ambience, delicious food Expensive, but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryImpressedDined on 10/7/2014You could not find a better spot in Houston for a quiet, romantic night to celebrate a special occasion with your significant other. Thanks, Mockingbird, for a great evening. Let them know in advance of your occasion and receive a quiet extra on the house.Special Features:
- Consistently wonderfulLeslieDined on 10/6/2014Thanks for being consistently wonderful. I can always count on you to impress and delight my guests.Special Features:
- Good food and service as alwaysLokeVIPDined on 10/5/2014Celebrated my daughter's birthday and we were pleasantly surprise with her free dessert and wishes. Nice touch.Special Features:
- Great aniversary setting!DavenRoxyDined on 10/4/2014Our first time dining here. This will be our place to impress out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!CareBearDined on 10/3/2014Our food was delicious, the wine was excellent and our server, Caitlin, was outstanding and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Food n service qualityKritikfoodieDined on 10/3/2014They only had one bottle left of the wine and also one bottle left of the champagne we wanted that we have to make do with whatever that was similar. Reason was its end of the month but we were there early October. We wEre informed of the dinner special and ordered them but the service staff came back later informing us that they ran out of one of the special. Further to that the sides were salty n a wrong order were made-they seem to ignore our comment about the extra order and the salt content. The food was not as good. In fact many of us didn't finish our food and none of the service staff seemed to care. We've been here a couple of times and remembered good service and food. But this time we are definitely not coming back.
- Had a great time.AwesomeNightDined on 9/29/2014Took my wife out for a romantic night in the city, we had a great time. Loved the place, the food was amazing and the service was even better. I will definately be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and service.dtabtxDined on 9/27/2014This was our first time (5 diners) at Mockingbird Bistro, and the evening couldn't have been better. Service and food were both excellent. Everyone's food was excellent - flavors, style, and presentation. The wait-staff worked together to ensure every request was met. Absolutely a top-notch dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but overpriced!JJRJVIPDined on 9/27/2014This has been a favorite of ours for years, but paying $56 for a dry veal chop is ridiculous. And their infamous hamburger is now $32! With so many other restaurants in Houston, we won't be back for a while. Too bad.Special Features:
- Delicious DiningBeckyDMcVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had the pleasure for dining at Mockingbird Bistro prior to attending the theatre. We were seated quickly. Our server was informative and professional. I ordered one of the specialty cocktails and it was inventive and tasty. Our whole meal was delicious, we each had different entrees and all of our group of 4 enjoyed our choices. Desserts were perfect to finish off a fabulous meal. We were never rushed but we also finished with plenty of time prior to the theatre. We will be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for my birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014My wife took me to the Mockingbird Bistro for my birthday. My wife had the scallops and I had the lamb shank special. Both of them were excellent. Couple of good zinfandels on the "by the glass" wine list...making an already good meal even better. Chocolate cake and coffee topped off a delicious meal. With great service and a nice atmosphere Mockingbird is becoming one of our favorites.Special Features:
- almost missed our eventOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014Stated we had tickets to a special event and server said no problem and then drug her feet at every turn restaurant was not busy or understaffed had to consume food in 1o minutes...disapponted. DisappontingSpecial Features:
- wonderfulLadybugVIPDined on 9/20/2014Excellent food, and wonderful romantic ambience! Bar scene a bit too noisy, but tolerable. Seafood boullabaise reminded me of our recent trip to Marseille.Special Features:
- Top NotchGigiDined on 9/20/2014Mockingbird Bistro is great from start to finish. Kiwi Mojito was super as was the bread to nibble on while we waited for our food. Salad was so fresh and soup delicious. Entrees were beautifully presented. Service was outstanding. Don't miss this fabulous restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mockingbirds sang for my baby boy!2clinkORnot2clinkDined on 9/14/2014Nestled between what looks like just a beautiful neighborhood is an amazing little find Mockingbirds Restaurant. Was fantastic for brunch as my 24yr old sons birthday. Best choice was the French toast, WOW! The fresh fruit on top of it was perfect and the strawberry butter that is served with it was a paring out of this world. The eggs were the only disappointing part of our meal. As I ordered over medium and scramble was also ordered for another in our party. Both plates of eggs came out over hard. Oh well. They were still enjoyable and they brought my son the most beautiful chocolate truffles, with fresh mint and hand written happy birthday scrolls across the plate. Clink on & enjoy the mimosas too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Katilian was an outstanding server! She was polite, attentive and very helpful. We will return and ask for her. Thank you, Mike McGinnisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMarkDined on 9/9/2014We were excited based on the pics, the location, the reviews and word of mouth, but it was average at best. The wine list is great and the service is very good, but the food is average at best.Special Features:
- It is goodlovegreatfoodDined on 8/30/2014We eat out special restaurants every 2 weeks. This was very good. Not great! For me a rating of very good is good. Great comes under the heading for super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonnderful!foodislovefoodislifeDined on 8/30/2014My boyfriend and I came here for our 1 year anniversary and it was just perfect! The staff was pleasant and the food was amazing. We will definently be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.