514 W 7th St
Los Angeles, CA 90014Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mo-chica.com/
- Phone: 2136223744
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week
from 11:30-10pm Sunday through Thursday
from 11:30-11pm Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Zarate
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From multi-course sit-down dinners to cocktail parties with passed hors-d’oeuvres, Chef Zarate Catering will sate the appetite of your guests, offering a taste of modern Peru, bite for bite. From fresh ceviche del dia to endless Pisco Sours, Chef Zarate Catering will transform your next party into a gastronomic Little Lima.
Chef Zarate Catering is led by our fearless leader in the kitchen, Chef Ricardo Zarate, voted 2011′s Best New Chef in America by Food & Wine Magazine. Since 2009, Chef Zarate Catering has happily catered over 150 events.
- Cross Street: Grand
- Public Transit: 7th Street Metro Station is a block and a half away with connection to the Red,Purple, Blue and Expo metro lines.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking begins at 7pm Monday-Friday and 6pm on Saturday-Sunday. Limited street parking and public lots also available.
A word from Mo-Chica
Mo-chica is a vibrant, urban restaurant serving Chef Ricardo Zarate’s modern interpretations on traditional Peruvian comfort food. Mo-chica was born in May 2012—a large, industrial-esque restaurant with vibrant-hued walls tagged with graffiti (thanks to local artist Kozem), whimsical touches; an urban-artsy space serving modern takes on traditional Peruvian comfort food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mo-Chica - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Mo-Chica reviews from OpenTable diners
251 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (191)neighborhood gem (97)hot spot (81)good for groups (69)great for lunch (59)special occasion (45)late-night find (29)romantic (25)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Mo-Chica MehToniDined on 8/29/2014Three of us ordered a main course w/ the extras; and four appetizers. We tried each other's food. The corn soup had an odd aftertaste. Ceviches were only OK. The chicken in the potato & chicken stew was tough. Meh. We sat in a booth where the table came practically to our shoulders, the benches were so low. It was hard to get comfortable.
- Wonderful service, delicious foodLilyDined on 8/23/2014I had two friends visiting from San Diego and we made a reservation at 6 pm on a Saturday night. Only a few hours before the reservation, my friends called with a blown-out tire! They were not going to make it on time. I called the restaurant and spoke with Angela who was able to squeeze us in at 9 pm instead. Everyone was incredibly friendly, there was a fun and energetic ambiance, there were great cocktails, and the food was incredible! Our favorite dish hands down was the alpaca stew. I will be going back just for that dish!Special Features:
- Always a winnerMomoftwoDined on 8/23/2014Everything we get here is always tasty. A real pleasant dining experience. Drinks are great, ceviche is great, arroz con pollo is a knockout. Unfortunately they had sold out of the whole branzzino special but at least thru had the filet. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCEPTIONAL FOOD!luvgreatfoodDined on 8/23/2014If you want to impress a foodie then bring them to Mo-Chica. The food is delicious.....delicate and light, yet filling! My only wish is that there would be break to sop up every liquid on the plate! I can't ever get enough of this food.Special Features:
- Something new and differentJANEDined on 8/21/2014The six of us shared 5 different small plates with the causa de cangrejo being my favorite. However, there wasn't one that we didn't like. We also shared the quinotta and carapulcra. Both were new to us and we would order them again. For desser,t the lucuma napoleon was a hit. Service was excellent .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Urban PeruvianASquaredDined on 8/17/2014If you're looking for food that's a little different but not so new you don't know what you're eating, Chef Ricardo Zarate’s original restaurant in a newish modern industrial space -- is a good downtown choice. It's traditional Peruvian food with decent handcrafted cocktails. Chicarron de pollo is not to be missed, as well as the steak and fries of Lomo saltado, Pan con tuna is a delicious appetizer; a bit disappointed in the deficit of seafood in the Arroz con mariscos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud Energetic FunMrNomNom1Dined on 8/16/2014I went on a saturday night. Food was bangin', crowd was bangin' service was bangin'. NOt a quiet bite, a seen and be seen loud exuberant time.Special Features:
- The essence of Peru!PenelopeDined on 8/16/2014I ate here with a friend who had just come back from Peru and was excited to re-live her experience through their food. Mo-Chica is not your typical Peruvian food place. All of the dishes are small plates and are meant to be shared. My previous perception of Peruvian food is that it is heavy and hearty. This is not the case at Mo-Chica. The food was very flavorful and light. I highly recommend the Pisco sour. This cocktail was so unique and flavorful. There's even a surprise on top. The CEVICHE CARRETILLERO, a sea base ceviche was my favorite dish. The sea bass was so fresh and light. The way they prepared it made it taste like it was cooked in an oven. Amazing. On top of it all, the service was excellent. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- they serve alpaca meat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014This is the only place in LA that I found to offer alpaca on the menu. It was nice, clean organized but also small and pretty pricy for the portion sizes. It aims to please the young urban food scene & normally I'm not drawn to that but we were intrigued by the alpaca. Our dinner was ok, the estaufo de alpaca was a bit of a let down but the estaufo de res was really good, i highly recommend it. my biggest complaint was that they didnt offer the alpaca burgers for dinner, just lunch. The staff was very friendly and helpful but for some reason the kitchen is very strict on not serving the alpaca burgers anytime other than weekday lunch. We have day jobs outside of LA so we'll be taking advantage of the Labor Day holiday to sample the burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- justxjessVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was pretty good, but I wasn't blown away. Service was impeccable. Nice casual dinner. Will most likely go back. Fav dish of the night was the alpaca stew estofado. Must get dessert: lucuma napoleon.Special Features:
- Enjoy the Peru dishChenVIPDined on 8/10/2014Second time here. Like the mashed potato+avocado+crab meat. The CEVICHE MIXTO is so so so good. The risotto is very interesting.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/10/2014I did not know what to expect from this restaurant but I was pleasantly surprised. I dine out 95% of my meals and I have to say this is one of the best meals I have had in a long time. The ceviche is one of the tastiest I have ever had. The fish was tender and just had an incredible lime flavor. The server recommended the potato and pork belly stew and it was outstanding the mix of flavors were so good I almost didn't want to eat desert and lose the flavor in my mouth from the stew. We decided to have the Napoleon desert and it was another fantastic surprise of taste. It was light and flaky with an explosion of filling. Great job I will be backSpecial Features:
- sschechterVIPDined on 8/9/2014Ate at Mo-Chica on Saturday. We are still talking about it today. Almost everything was outstanding - especially the mixed seafood ceviche and the trotter stew. Lived in LA for a # of years and ate at most of the top places and this was as good a meal as I have eaten in LA. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014creative, beautiful and tasty food, as usual. It also is healthy at the same time.Special Features:
- Great every time!BiggerfanVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was my 6th time there, mad they have not disappointed. I have always taken first timers, and they have enjoyed the great food. Mo Chica does not disappoint!Special Features:
- One of the best restaurants !ForrozVIPDined on 8/3/2014We go to dinner before the theater and like to try different places. Tapas keep getter better. One bite is more delicious than the next. It's a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute finddine2wineDined on 8/2/2014Great find in the culinary desert that is DTLA. Amazing service, quick and friendly but not obtrusive. Food was delicious. I was so excited about my experience at Mo-Chica that immediately after receiving the first course (awesomely good ceviche) and before the main course (classically delicious lomo saltado) I could resist but send my peruvian friend a text message about 'my discovery'. He already knew and sang praises about it. Highly suggested for sure.Special Features:
- great food. cool atmosphere.ChristineIsPinkVIPDined on 8/2/2014All the food items were amazing. The service was so friendly and relaxed yet totally on point and never kept us waiting or wanting for anything. A totally reasonable price point for a James Beard semi-finalist. We ordered food for both vegetarians and meat-eaters, although we did stick to the classics. Absolutely no complaints from our group of 6, which is quite a feat. Good place for a date or catching up with friends.Special Features:
- Wow!Unicorn1Dined on 8/2/2014Had to rush a bit because we had concert tix, which was a bit of a bummer as each dish deserved more time to savor and let soak in, but even in fast forward, AMAZING!! Vibrant tastes and colors in every dish. Our server was fantastic, we told him what time we needed to leave, he said no problem, recommended his favorite 8 dishes or so (of which we ordered almost every one) and we were off! Everything was wonderful, you can't go wrong (the only non-outstanding dish we had was the burrata w/ beets, the greens were a little too bitter and overpowering) all the way to the deserts. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Great Peruvian SpotDateNightDinerDined on 8/1/2014I was really impressed with the food. Each tapas style dish had it's own unique flavor profile. It's a great date night dinner since it isn't too loud and the ambience was dim. The mixologist was on point with his drink and the wait staff was friendly and attentive. I'm looking forward to revisiting this place again. Great seafood selection! Diver scallops had a sauce that I could be put in a cup and drank the whole night, but it wasn't on the regular menu.Special Features:
- BillBDined on 8/1/2014They serve a great house white wine, a Spanish Basque.
- ExcellentgimmesomeMOchicaDined on 7/31/2014The food was superb and Kevin was great. My friend forgot her phone and he ran out to us to bring it to her. What a guy!Special Features:
- Not coming again.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014Overpriced for what you get... smaller portions than other Peruvian restaurants. The food was great, don't get me wrong... Delicious! But... Liked it better at the old location. Waiter barely knew how to pronounce dish names, did not feel authentic. Felt like it was trying to be hard to be cool.Special Features:
- Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/27/2014Staff was very attentive and competent. The food was not quite to our taste, but the desserts (tres leches cake) were yummy.Special Features:
- Delicious Tapas & CocktailsisurrealDined on 7/26/2014Great for foodies! Tapas are all delicious and well made. Staff is on point and helpful. Note that venue is a little tight so make sure to make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGMoeMoneyMoeFoodDined on 7/23/2014We were seated late, so we got free drinks to make up for it which was great. Best food I've had at DineLA. Every single dish was phenomenal!Special Features:
- Amazing FoodmaredogDined on 7/22/2014I went for DineLA and it did not disappoint. From start to finish, my meal was bursting with flavor. I had the ceviche, braised shortribs, and tres leches cake. I would definitely recommend Mo-Chica to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioso!MiaRomes26Dined on 7/20/2014Absolutely great food. My bf is a total foodie and I was left with the task of picking out a restaurant. Ran across it through the DineLA website and he loved it. I'm a vegetarian and the options for me were super tasty as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ceviche and more!kiki2ccDined on 7/20/2014Mo-Chica is wonderfully inspired cooking. Ceviches are incredible and the flavors are layered, fresh and clean! The short rib was amazing as well. Our server was engaging and warm. We had the restaurant week/Dine LA specials, but I've been there an ordered off of the regular menu as well. Moving the the east coast and will definitely miss this place. Price is good too.Special Features:
- 6 dishes, 6 winnersMaryLouiseDined on 7/19/2014Mo-Chica is a happening downtown restaurant. It's a bit on the noisy side but for our group of three it was bearable. The food was topnotch with truly exotic flavors. We orders six dishes to share. All were given thumbs up reviews. Favorites were the quinoa risotto, beef saltado and the grilled prawns. We rounded out the meal with a grilled artichoke, roasted beet salad and yellow-fin tuna sashimi style. All dishes are a small plate serving and our server was correct in advising 2 plates per person. We didn't leave hungry but were not uncomfortable either. The staff were pleasant and attentive. We will come back. It sounds like lunch is a real deal at $18.Special Features:
- Great Food, Attentive StaffRashimpulseDined on 7/19/2014Definitely recommend this downtown LA restaurant for couples or groups - great food, inventive dishes. We dined as a group for four and ordered a variety of dishes, much like tapas, and shared. A wonderful opportunity for your tastebuds to sample the varietal cuisine. The staff was extremely attentive and knowledgeable. We had many questions since this was our first time and our waiter was very helpful. I would definitely recommend a reservation on weekend nights - we got there about 5:30pm which was a perfect time before it got crowded. Had no trouble conversing, noise level was moderate. Interior design is clever and whimsical (if seated in the back room take a look up while walking back and you'll see what I mean).Special Features:
- Lovely place!NoturgirlDined on 7/19/2014I really had a great experience here. The food was delicious and waitress was very sweet and cool. Definitely recommend this to anyone who digs Peruvian cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!!!HartDined on 7/19/2014The BEST place in LA to eat in my opinion. You can never go wrong with any of their food, cocktail, beverages, etc. Great for groups or if you are on a date.Special Features:
- VariationArthVIPDined on 7/19/2014The chef does Mochica, Picca, and Paiche. They are all a little different.n. Mochica is fun casual. Picca was a little pretentioues and we're not that helpful in suggesting dishes. Paiche was totally different. A very hip vibrant beach crowd. They were great for the sashimi and ceviche. I ebpnjoy Paiche and Mochica .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great....FFFFDined on 7/18/2014The service was very good and the place had a good vibe. The ceviche was very good and so was the brazino. The potato appetizer was just meh. The short ribs were good but felt the flavor was kind of bland. The risotto was good but not stellar in the flavorful department either. The flourless chocolate cake was really dense and kind of heavy. The tres leches cake was surprisingly better. Overall... not enough bang for your buck here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review-DineLA Value for Bucks?eclectictasteDined on 7/18/2014Ceviche- 4/5 Short Ribs-2/5 Lobster Pasta-2/5 White fish maybe seabass-4/5 Overall, not worth $35 on dineLA.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!DTLATransplantDined on 7/18/2014The food was incredible. The lunch specials were reasonably priced and well portioned. Everyone of us enjoyed their food and want to go back to try other things. Their lomo saltado was the best I've ever had. The servers were friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. The restaurant was clean and had an energetic vibe. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!sukkonnDined on 7/15/2014This was the first time eating Peruvian food. And therefore, I don't know what is the "Normal" Peruvian food is, but this restaurant was GOOD!!!!!! Dishes comes in a nice adequate portion where you can share with your companies and try many dishes, flavor was unique and all of the dishes taste different (and delicious), and I will Definitely!!!! Come back again and Strongly recommend this restaurant. Only disappointment was the dessert. Again, that might was the Peruvian desert, but will not try it again. :PSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/15/2014Tried the Braised Alpaca - the idea was interesting but the meat itself wasn't very unique in flavor nor texture. The curry potato stew was pretty good. I would say based on what I tried the food is okay nothing really stood out. The service was good however. Our waiter was funny, friendly and speedy. The place was kind of small but okay for dining off lunch hours or you would probably have to wait. Overall my experience was good.Special Features:
- Tasty PeruvianWOVVDined on 7/14/2014Finally got a chance to try another of Ricardo Zarate's masterpieces. His other two are Picca and Paiche. The Ceviche and Papa Luwainka appetizers were both fresh and tasty with a kick. The braised short rib and grilled chicken were cooked to perfection and both so flavorful with good sized portions. Finally, loved the Tres Leches cake. The chocolate cake was good but not my favorite. And a very refreshing white sangria.Special Features: