514 W 7th St
Los Angeles, CA 90014Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mo-chica.com/
- Phone: 2136223744
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week
from 11:30-10pm Sunday through Thursday
from 11:30-11pm Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Zarate
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From multi-course sit-down dinners to cocktail parties with passed hors-d’oeuvres, Chef Zarate Catering will sate the appetite of your guests, offering a taste of modern Peru, bite for bite. From fresh ceviche del dia to endless Pisco Sours, Chef Zarate Catering will transform your next party into a gastronomic Little Lima.
Chef Zarate Catering is led by our fearless leader in the kitchen, Chef Ricardo Zarate, voted 2011′s Best New Chef in America by Food & Wine Magazine. Since 2009, Chef Zarate Catering has happily catered over 150 events.
- Cross Street: Grand
- Public Transit: 7th Street Metro Station is a block and a half away with connection to the Red,Purple, Blue and Expo metro lines.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking begins at 7pm Monday-Friday and 6pm on Saturday-Sunday. Limited street parking and public lots also available.
A word from Mo-Chica
Mo-chica is a vibrant, urban restaurant serving Chef Ricardo Zarate’s modern interpretations on traditional Peruvian comfort food. Mo-chica was born in May 2012—a large, industrial-esque restaurant with vibrant-hued walls tagged with graffiti (thanks to local artist Kozem), whimsical touches; an urban-artsy space serving modern takes on traditional Peruvian comfort food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Mo-Chica - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Mo-Chica reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (171)neighborhood gem (81)hot spot (78)good for groups (63)great for lunch (48)special occasion (37)late-night find (27)romantic (25)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Worth a stop.jakeDined on 10/19/2014Small informal restaurant with unique, delicious and fun contemporary Peruvian fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Food - downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014Went here on a busy Friday nite - made reservations the week before easily. Arrived to a very vibrant and fun scene - got seated quickly. Server was very helpful since it was our first time - we decided to take her advice and order 4 things to share. Ordered awesome mint/cucumber cocktail - SO delicious!! Started w/ a salad w/ beets and ceviche dish - the flavors were exciting and vibrant, and the fish was fresh!! Then had a quinoa risotto w/ mushrooms and the Lomo Saltado (pieces of beef filet, sautéed w/ aromatics and served w/ crispy Kennebec fries) - the quinoa was a good sized portion and was delicious! the Lomo dish reminded me of an Asian sauté - kind of a soy/vinegar sauce - just the right amount of sauce.Special Features:
- Where is the food?HungryVIPDined on 10/16/2014We live around the corner and have been meaning to try Mo-Chica for a long time. After 4 dishes, 1 glass of wine and $100, we went next door and ordered an entree for $13 that finished off our meal. None of the food was bad, quite nice actually...just tiny micro portions and way too expensive. Sadly, we will not be going back. Don't go here if you are hungry.Special Features:
- Fine First TimeSaCaDined on 10/16/2014We'd read reviews of Mo Chica in the LA Times, added it to our computer restaurant list, but had not dined there a year past the Times review. This past Thursday we made the plunge - and it was GREAT! Our waiter was very professional, attentive, and most willing to make suggestions from drinks to third courses. All suggestions were marvelous - great food and not your abuelitas ceviche - that's for sure. Mo Chica has moved up to the top "3" restaurants we will reserve when going to the theatre in downtown LA. You should try it.Special Features:
- Peruvian food at it's bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Caesar salad was wonderfully tangy then we remembered how mustard-forward Peruvian food is, perfect combination of favors. I would go just for the Huancaina sauce. I ordered the Alpaca dish ( in spite of my vegetarian friend having a problem with it being a Llama) and loved every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent4FOODVIPDined on 10/11/2014This was the 5th time of dining. Service could not have been more efficient and smooth. Tried a few dishes we missed in the past. Anticucho De Pulpo. Grilled octopus with roasred mashed potatoes and a jalapeno sauce. Bone-in-Rib Eye marinated in anticuho sauce and shoestring potatoes huancuna sauce. Always good sashimi and ceviche dishes. Excellent cocktails especially Oaxacalifornia Love. Mezcal, tequilla, lime juice, and rocoto pineapple. A few dishes such as hicharron de pollo (chicken tenders) are nothing special. Overall it is nice to know your meal will be delicious and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanteDined on 10/5/2014Variety of Novo Andina Peruvian food in the heart of Los Angeles Down Town. Chef Zarate is one of the best in California.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i Keep Coming BackMelVeezyDined on 10/4/2014The food is delicious. The waiter was attentive and knowledgeable, even helped me determine the best way to attack the carefully constructed dessert. Win-Win. Definitely go in multiples of two. Sharing in odd numbers doesn't work so well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting FoodJesseVIPDined on 10/4/2014This is the second of Chef Zarate's restaurants my wife and I have tried and it was spectacular. Just like Paiche, Mo-Chica was outstanding, memorable, and delicious. The cocktails were excellent and every dish was exploding with flavor. There is nothing shy about plates that come out of Mo-Chica's kitchen. This is bold, delicious food with punchy, yet well-balanced flavors. Can't wait to try Picca and complete the trilogy.Special Features:
- Fine cuisine and funky sceneryEastMeetsWestDined on 9/29/2014one of the best lomo saltados I've ever had!!! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014This is the second time we've eaten at Mo Chica. The first time was via DineLA and we enjoyed it so much I was looking for another opportunity to try it again. It was as good as I recalled. Each dish was interesting and had a little kick to it. I highly recommend Mo Chica. Also, the service was great. As most restaurants today, it was loud, however, so you need to speak up if you want your conversation to be heard over the ambient noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingssallendeDined on 9/26/2014I've had good food before; I've had Peruvian food before (including in Peru). But this was probably the best Peruvian food I've ever had. Check that - this was some of the best food I've ever had. Unusual tastes, always memorable. Fantastic ox-tail; wonderful ceviche. All around excellent.Special Features:
- Great drinks and foodDessertgrlDined on 9/26/2014The drinks here are delicious and original. We enjoyed the oaxacacalifornia and basil blossom, both of which were beautiful and delicious. The food was also spectacular in flavor. The portion sizing is that of a larger tapas, so we shared all the dishes. The restaurant has an arty loft feel, but can get loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItMoreDined on 9/20/2014This was a terrific find. The food was wonderful, the service was great and helpful for two of our diners who had gluten intolerance issues. The only problem was the noise level, which made it almost impossible to talk at a table for 5. We will definitely try it again, though maybe next time in the middle of the week and/or for a party of 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticserversVIPDined on 9/17/2014Your waiters knowledge of the menu is outstanding! The three different waiters we have had there all knew their stuff! The food is spectacular. We would come back more often but it tends to get pricey, $300 for 4 people! We are drinkers and had almost every specialty drink there but still, it's not a cheap night here. The only negative I have is the decor. It just doesn't fit the place but I am not coming here to look at the tiny robots, I am coming to dine! Love love love this place.Special Features:
- never failsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2014met here with some friends... a couple who had tried Mo-Chica before, and a few that hadn't. We shared all our plates and tried a little bit of everything. Everyone left full and super satisfied with their meal. Our favourite were the Lomo Saltado (always a great Peruvian staple), Anticucho De Pulpo and Causa De Cangrejo. everytime i come to eat, i remember why i love this place so much.Special Features:
- LOVED ITOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My girlfriend and I had a great time! The food was REALLY REALLY good, we would absolutely recommend this place to anyone! It is a "tapas" style place, which is our favorite because you get to try everything :) We had the sea bass ceveche and thought that was KILLER! Great spot if you enjoy food.Special Features:
- Chef Zarate never dissapoints!TheChonchudoFilesDined on 9/7/2014I was here with a group of 12 friends, and the restaurant made sure we were fully taken care of. We had everything in the Happy Hour menu, and then some! Eveyrhting was amazing: Ceviche Mixto, Tuna con Pan, Colita de Res, Causa de Cangrejo, Spicy Chicken Wings, Chicharron de Pollo, Tres Leches Cake, Alfajores, Quinoa Salad, and the drinks were awesome, too! (Pisco Sour).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodwillxzeroDined on 9/5/2014Great food, service, ambiance, and drinks. Would definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palate Frenzy!JamRobDined on 9/3/2014Each meal i've tried has been prepared magnificently--mixing herbs and seasonings--the meats, fish, poultry--exquisite. Never a dull moment for the palate!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/2/2014Reliably delicious food. Cocktails are also very good. i like it for both lunch and dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent Peruvian Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/31/2014Great meal! The service was terrific and the food was inspired and delicious. Don't miss the Octopus, Crab Mashed Potatoes, Seafood Paella, and save room for the Sweet Potato Fritter dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mo-Chica MehToniDined on 8/29/2014Three of us ordered a main course w/ the extras; and four appetizers. We tried each other's food. The corn soup had an odd aftertaste. Ceviches were only OK. The chicken in the potato & chicken stew was tough. Meh. We sat in a booth where the table came practically to our shoulders, the benches were so low. It was hard to get comfortable.
- Wonderful service, delicious foodLilyDined on 8/23/2014I had two friends visiting from San Diego and we made a reservation at 6 pm on a Saturday night. Only a few hours before the reservation, my friends called with a blown-out tire! They were not going to make it on time. I called the restaurant and spoke with Angela who was able to squeeze us in at 9 pm instead. Everyone was incredibly friendly, there was a fun and energetic ambiance, there were great cocktails, and the food was incredible! Our favorite dish hands down was the alpaca stew. I will be going back just for that dish!Special Features:
- Always a winnerMomoftwoDined on 8/23/2014Everything we get here is always tasty. A real pleasant dining experience. Drinks are great, ceviche is great, arroz con pollo is a knockout. Unfortunately they had sold out of the whole branzzino special but at least thru had the filet. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCEPTIONAL FOOD!luvgreatfoodDined on 8/23/2014If you want to impress a foodie then bring them to Mo-Chica. The food is delicious.....delicate and light, yet filling! My only wish is that there would be break to sop up every liquid on the plate! I can't ever get enough of this food.Special Features:
- Something new and differentJANEDined on 8/21/2014The six of us shared 5 different small plates with the causa de cangrejo being my favorite. However, there wasn't one that we didn't like. We also shared the quinotta and carapulcra. Both were new to us and we would order them again. For desser,t the lucuma napoleon was a hit. Service was excellent .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Urban PeruvianASquaredDined on 8/17/2014If you're looking for food that's a little different but not so new you don't know what you're eating, Chef Ricardo Zarate’s original restaurant in a newish modern industrial space -- is a good downtown choice. It's traditional Peruvian food with decent handcrafted cocktails. Chicarron de pollo is not to be missed, as well as the steak and fries of Lomo saltado, Pan con tuna is a delicious appetizer; a bit disappointed in the deficit of seafood in the Arroz con mariscos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud Energetic FunMrNomNom1Dined on 8/16/2014I went on a saturday night. Food was bangin', crowd was bangin' service was bangin'. NOt a quiet bite, a seen and be seen loud exuberant time.Special Features:
- The essence of Peru!PenelopeDined on 8/16/2014I ate here with a friend who had just come back from Peru and was excited to re-live her experience through their food. Mo-Chica is not your typical Peruvian food place. All of the dishes are small plates and are meant to be shared. My previous perception of Peruvian food is that it is heavy and hearty. This is not the case at Mo-Chica. The food was very flavorful and light. I highly recommend the Pisco sour. This cocktail was so unique and flavorful. There's even a surprise on top. The CEVICHE CARRETILLERO, a sea base ceviche was my favorite dish. The sea bass was so fresh and light. The way they prepared it made it taste like it was cooked in an oven. Amazing. On top of it all, the service was excellent. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- they serve alpaca meat!luv2tryexoticsDined on 8/15/2014This is the only place in LA that I found to offer alpaca on the menu. It was nice, clean organized but also small and pretty pricy for the portion sizes. It aims to please the young urban food scene & normally I'm not drawn to that but we were intrigued by the alpaca. Our dinner was ok, the estaufo de alpaca was a bit of a let down but the estaufo de res was really good, i highly recommend it. my biggest complaint was that they didnt offer the alpaca burgers for dinner, just lunch. The staff was very friendly and helpful but for some reason the kitchen is very strict on not serving the alpaca burgers anytime other than weekday lunch. We have day jobs outside of LA so we'll be taking advantage of the Labor Day holiday to sample the burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- justxjessVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was pretty good, but I wasn't blown away. Service was impeccable. Nice casual dinner. Will most likely go back. Fav dish of the night was the alpaca stew estofado. Must get dessert: lucuma napoleon.Special Features:
- Enjoy the Peru dishChenVIPDined on 8/10/2014Second time here. Like the mashed potato+avocado+crab meat. The CEVICHE MIXTO is so so so good. The risotto is very interesting.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/10/2014I did not know what to expect from this restaurant but I was pleasantly surprised. I dine out 95% of my meals and I have to say this is one of the best meals I have had in a long time. The ceviche is one of the tastiest I have ever had. The fish was tender and just had an incredible lime flavor. The server recommended the potato and pork belly stew and it was outstanding the mix of flavors were so good I almost didn't want to eat desert and lose the flavor in my mouth from the stew. We decided to have the Napoleon desert and it was another fantastic surprise of taste. It was light and flaky with an explosion of filling. Great job I will be backSpecial Features:
- sschechterVIPDined on 8/9/2014Ate at Mo-Chica on Saturday. We are still talking about it today. Almost everything was outstanding - especially the mixed seafood ceviche and the trotter stew. Lived in LA for a # of years and ate at most of the top places and this was as good a meal as I have eaten in LA. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014creative, beautiful and tasty food, as usual. It also is healthy at the same time.Special Features:
- Great every time!BiggerfanVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was my 6th time there, mad they have not disappointed. I have always taken first timers, and they have enjoyed the great food. Mo Chica does not disappoint!Special Features:
- One of the best restaurants !ForrozVIPDined on 8/3/2014We go to dinner before the theater and like to try different places. Tapas keep getter better. One bite is more delicious than the next. It's a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute finddine2wineDined on 8/2/2014Great find in the culinary desert that is DTLA. Amazing service, quick and friendly but not obtrusive. Food was delicious. I was so excited about my experience at Mo-Chica that immediately after receiving the first course (awesomely good ceviche) and before the main course (classically delicious lomo saltado) I could resist but send my peruvian friend a text message about 'my discovery'. He already knew and sang praises about it. Highly suggested for sure.Special Features:
- great food. cool atmosphere.ChristineIsPinkVIPDined on 8/2/2014All the food items were amazing. The service was so friendly and relaxed yet totally on point and never kept us waiting or wanting for anything. A totally reasonable price point for a James Beard semi-finalist. We ordered food for both vegetarians and meat-eaters, although we did stick to the classics. Absolutely no complaints from our group of 6, which is quite a feat. Good place for a date or catching up with friends.Special Features: