2108 N 55th St
Seattle, WA 98103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ethanstowellrestaurants.com/mkt/
- Phone: 2068121580x
- Hours of Operation:
Fri & Sat 5pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Ritchie
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from mkt.
mkt. - pronounced "market" - is an intimate restaurant in an intimate Seattle neighborhood know as Tangletown, between Wallingford and Greenlake. It gets its name from Meridian, the traditional name for the neighborhood; the historic Keystone Building that it’s housed in; and Tangletown, as the area is now known. Joe Ritchie"s kitchen serves thoughtful, contemporary American fare with a dedication to Northwest products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
mkt. reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)neighborhood gem (98)special occasion (63)romantic (39)notable wine list (29)hot spot (25)great for outdoor dining (23)late-night find (5)good for groups (4)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/15/2014fabulous dinner, everything was great. The best food and service.
- Wonderful foodRachelDined on 8/14/2014The food is the star of the show. All the different flavors in the small plates make it an interesting and varied dining experience. The pace of the dinner was perfect and it was just a really lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mkt delivers againMagnoliaDined on 8/13/2014This was our second visit and we were not disappointed. Even simple sounding dishes were elevated with herbal nuances and proteins were cooked to perfection. Our server was friendly and had perfect suggestions for wines when we were indecisive. My wallet is glad we don't live in the neighborhood - we would be here all the time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/13/2014Ingredient driven menu with outstanding execution. Price for quality was good. They were able to modify all of our choices to be gluten free. Wine choices (as always with ESR) were great. We would go back for food even though the space is very cramped and atmosphere was somewhat lacking compared w/ other ESR venues. They need to improve air flow, especially in the back of the restaurant during summer months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!AmberDined on 8/11/2014mkt. consistently serves delicious and inventive food with a focus on quality ingredients. It is intimate and has great hospitality. We have loved it every time we have gone.Special Features:
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Good for couples and groups of 4 but not for anything larger. Excellent and interesting food and very attentive and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDomFDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed our night at MKT. It is quite a small venue so our reservations ran a little late. They were nice enough to give us some drinks on the house while we were waiting. The Black Cod & Scallops were melt in your mouth amazing and the gnocchi was great also. It is a good idea to do everything family style.Special Features:
- Great foodMktexperienceDined on 8/9/2014Great food and service the only recommendations would be to have a better wine storage system so your wine temp is better. Our food was outstanding but the wine was too warm for spending that kind of moneyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Get some smaller forkssushiqDined on 8/7/2014The staff at mkt. is warm, welcoming, and upbeat. My favorite food items were the creamy gazpacho that our chef presented us with before our meal, and the gnocchi. My experience at mkt. fell short of other Ethan Stowell restaurants-my favorite being Staple & Fancy. The food was good, but not exciting-and too small - as in pickled vegetables that are condiment size bites. I love small plate dining, which usually means big flavor, but my palate wasn't quite satisfied (definitely not for the price)...and what's with the giant forks?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/7/2014Flavors were fantastic and preparation was perfection. Waitstaff is exceptional. My only complaint, and this seems typical of Ethan Stowell restaurants, portions are miniscule. And they insist that all items on the menu are shared plates - how am I supposed to share a salad of 4 tomatoes and 1 leaf of lettuce? You have to order A LOT to feel satisfied. I get it - fancy food is about quality, not quantity. I am not looking for Claim Jumper sized portions, but the portions at mkt do not warrant the price.Special Features:
- Great food and staffWskrDined on 8/4/2014We ordered 5 dishes plus dessert to share the chef and servers were friendly and imformative. The food was amazing. The space is super small which made it a little warm and loud but that didn't take away from our eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodRinaVIPDined on 8/3/2014Our first time dining for the four of us. The reviews I read were good so we thought we would try the place out. Service was outstanding. The food was excellent! The price point could have been a little bit less expensive. Overall it was a wonderful experience. The music was very loud though. Small space, so don't go with a big crowd. Ventilation was poor, so outside seating is recommended. Neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant! Mkt. was absolutely the best dining experience I have had in years. The small space is both intimate and energetic, with an atmosphere that is absolutely perfect for lingering over a bottle of wine. The food was superb and the wait staff was personable and entertaining while not overbearing. Seth even did a dance for us! I cannot recoomend Mkt. enough! If I lived in Seattle this would be my go to restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic winSweetbreadsDined on 7/31/2014This was for a birthday celebration an I cannot wait to back. Stellar service. Amazing food. Good timing. Good suggestions. Win.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tight squeezeFredDined on 7/27/2014If you have back issues or want a comfortable seat when you eat, MKT is not for you. Kitchen dominates and diners are shoehorned in. Servers are very pleasant and efficient. Food is mostly small plates and good. We had a reservation but were given a glass of water and asked to wait outside because the kitchen was "slammed". We were seated at our request about 15 minutes late. This is not a relaxing place to eat but if you want, and have, high energy then the food is worth it.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceRay25VIPDined on 7/27/2014Went to mkt. with friends to celebrates my partners birthday. We followed our waiters suggestion to order all dishes as shareable a for the table; dinner was superb! They only had 3 cocktails on the menu which was concerning at first. Turns out their cocktail selection is small because they age their drinks in whiskey barrels and they were delicious. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spotWdpilecatDined on 7/16/2014Great little spot. Wonderful food and great service. Flavor profiles were right on. The space it tiny and intimate. Seating was rather uncomfortable and the ventilation not great on a hot night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncomfort FoodSEAEATDined on 7/15/2014I visited mkt. with my out-of-town family. We had made reservations, but were placed at a table that butted up against the bathroom door, so we got a steady stream of traffic and constant whiffs of the toilet deodorizer throughout the meal. The table location ruined the meal. To pay 200+ for a meal and then be shoved by a bathroom is a slap in the face. It feels greedy. It's an insult to any customer who's seated there. Service was fine although more style than substance. The same can be said about the chairs, which are minimalist, wooden with no backs. This restaurant feels like it cares more about appearance than an actual nice dining experience, and the food, although good, is not special enough to merit being so uncomfortable.
- Worth every nickelSlowFooderDined on 7/13/2014A friend recommended this place and so hubby and I headed over. I could eat a cereal bowl of the ceviche and the wagyu beef was over the top. Generally not a fan of gnocchi but the sweet potato treats were wee pillows of deliciousness. I wish the cocktail signatures were a little more exciting/varied. It was a little too warm and loud in the back but the open seating in front worked. Those benches are hard though, bring a cushion! The service was wonderful, the night was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible, but hotCrisHDined on 7/12/2014a wonderful restaurant but they need air conditioning!!! every item was flavored to perfection--just excellent. very attentive service.Special Features:
- Very friendly and great servicejackDined on 7/8/2014What a nice evening sitting outside and inside with our friends at the communal table. Champagne/wine and food was very good. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mktOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2014I love Ethan Stowell restaurants and mkt is no exception. The food was amazing the service was professional, friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014A few bites were amazing. Most were great. Overall, a strong showing, but not spectacular. Service was great. For the price, however, I wouldn't go back. I'm happy to have checked it off my list.Special Features:
- Make a reservationGoodtogoDined on 7/3/2014Place is tiny, but the food and service are impressively top notch. Go there for the experience and you will be back to try more things on the menu that you missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected gemFoodieDined on 7/3/2014If you are in the mood for something other than your ordinary meal, this is the place! The combination of flavors with the main dish truly compliment each other. The flavors are unexpected and really add punch. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some high points, but not amazingjoshas87VIPDined on 6/29/2014I'm a big fan of Ethan Stowell in general, but mkt. fell a little short of expectations. The service was friendly and attentive, so no complaints there, but the food, while certainly tasty, didn't resonate as strongly as some of my meals at his other restaurants have (Rione XIII and Staple and Fancy, for instance). The Wagyu beef was the highlight--fantastic salty seasoned crust on the fillet, crispy fried onions, and a delicious wine reduction. Aside from that, the other dishes we ordered (marinated green beans, salmon, sweet potato gnocchi, chocolate budino) were good, but not fantastic. The raspberry sorbet was actually a bit subpar--not bad, but tasted either a little artificial or oversweetened. Nice place, but in no hurry to return.Special Features:
- Great food, great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014Chef's tasting menu was the perfect way to taste a little bit of everything. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mad for mkt.Hapuna0208Dined on 6/27/2014This was our 2nd visit to mkt. We love the unique flavors of each dish. You never feel rushed and the servers are friendly and accommodating. Although they advertise the dishes as meant to be family-style, you can easily order one dish per person, and share the 'snack' items. Definitely make a reservation. The restaurant is small.Special Features:
- Shh... Don't tell anyone.TTnCGl4Dined on 6/26/2014In the heart of our Greenlake neighborhood, MKT is quickly becoming a favorite! An early evening wine and appetizer, a leisurely dinner with friends or a late dessert before bed- you can't go wrong here. Don't talk too much with the wait staff though, otherwise you'll quickly feel like family! Thanks Seth, we hope to see you soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Spot for FoodiesKelseyDined on 6/25/2014Loved walking up to this tiny restaurant, welcomed with a warm smile and a great server. The veggie dish we had was extraordinary, the wine was great and I really enjoyed the black cod. I didn't love the salmon dish, but dessert and sitting at a beautiful wooden table along the sidewalk made up for it.Special Features:
- dateniteDined on 6/24/2014Being an Ethan Stowell fan I had high hopes. We sat toward back which was hot & claustrophobic. The wood chairs with low backs are super uncomfortable and the tables are so close together the server or other guests backside kept brushing our table. First sip of water I nearly gagged tasting remnants of the last users sweet drink along the rim. Server was super apologetic and quickly swapped out but still. The small plates although delicious I left feeling hungry, hot and not interested in going back.Special Features:
- Great food and fabulous servicecaitbDined on 6/23/2014We had 5 people with us which allowed us to try a bunch of small plates. Everything we had tasted fabulous and service was fantastic. The restaurant is incredibly small so be prepared that groups of more than 4 are difficult to squeeze in.Special Features:
- my new fav place!JungleDined on 6/23/2014amazing food, great service.... Went here for my anniversary dinner and it did not disappoint. - green beans, scallops, gnocchi, wagyu beef, cocktails, strawberry tart dessert were all amazing! Definitely coming back.Special Features:
- great restaurantculeandroidDined on 6/22/2014the food is incredible. the chairs are a little uncomfortable. but seriously who cares about the chairs.Special Features:
- Delicious foodFoodGalVIPDined on 6/21/2014This was one of my favorite meals in Seattle. The menu is wonderful. Our table shared about 8 of the dishes and each one was better than the next. Also, the presentation of the food was great and our waiter was very attentive. The only negative to the restaurant is that its very small and narrow, so just keep that in mind when you go.Special Features:
- ChristineDined on 6/19/2014I loved it! Everything is FRESH, FRESH, FRESH and the wine list is spectacular. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is intimate and welcoming. Seth made the dining experience extraordinary.Special Features:
- need ear plugsnativeDined on 6/18/2014The food was fabulous, shared morsels. I thought for shared plates they were a little too small for 4 people. The noise level was off the charts, and it was small and claustrophobic. I would go back, with total of two and sit near the open front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!tangletownVIPDined on 6/15/2014Love the staff and the food at Mkt! The food and service is always on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we ordered was excellentPakapreudDined on 6/15/2014I have a bad memory when it comes to food menus. The food here is designed to be shared. I went to there to have a dinner with my food friend and we ordered one snack plate (pork loin), two fish dishes (one with Japanese name and the other one was salmon that the waiter said it'd melt in the mouth--it actually did), one meat dish (duck) and one veggetable plate. The food and services were amazing. The wine list was extensive but I wish the cocktail list was as extensive because they only had three cocktails. The place wa well decorated and fitting perfectly into the neighborhood. I would definitely want to go back multiple times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small but mightysmittensDined on 6/13/2014I'll be putting a more complete review on yelp but this is one of those 'don't miss' spots in Seattle. Everything perfectly cooked, great fresh ingredients, interesting flavor combinations, perfect use of spices and seasonings, friendly competent service, and you get to watch them prepare your food. We will be back.Special Features: