2108 N 55th St
Seattle, WA 98103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ethanstowellrestaurants.com/mkt/
- Phone: (206) 812-1580
- Hours of Operation:
Fri & Sat 5pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Ritchie
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from mkt.
mkt. - pronounced "market" - is an intimate restaurant in an intimate Seattle neighborhood know as Tangletown, between Wallingford and Greenlake. It gets its name from Meridian, the traditional name for the neighborhood; the historic Keystone Building that it’s housed in; and Tangletown, as the area is now known. Joe Ritchie"s kitchen serves thoughtful, contemporary American fare with a dedication to Northwest products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
mkt. reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (130)neighborhood gem (116)special occasion (55)romantic (41)notable wine list (38)hot spot (34)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (7)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Every dish was amazingCrystalDined on 11/19/2014A lot of Ethan's restaurants are heavy Italian (which is delicious) but I loved that everything here had such unique flavors but all tastes heavenly! We had the green beans (a must- what is on this delightful veggie anyway?) ravioli, lamb, steak, hamachi, beet salad, pumpkin fritters and a couple wines. All were to die for. I wish they had a larger bar for cocktails but that's ok. I would recommend to anyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!JAD1Dined on 11/17/2014First time here. It was the best dinner I have had In a long time. We took the advise of the manager on what to order. The beet salad was deliciously dressed. We shared the porcini mushroom ravioli and the Kobe beef. Both were excellent. A perfect finish for the evening was the basil pannna cotta. We enjoyed each and every bite and look forward to returning to experience some of the menu options. Service and timing of food was spot on. Keeping mkt. on my radar screenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late evening diningArtemisDined on 11/15/2014Very pleasant find in our neighborhood for later than usual dining. We wanted a restaurant in our neighborhood which would seat and serve at a late hour for Seattle diners not in downtown or Capital Hill areas. We were coming from another event which did not have a firm ending time mkt exceeded expectations in both food and service for me. We were not rushed, had friendly service and could actually hear ourselves during conversation. Good background music from standpoint of selection and volume. Mkt has well prepared food and a great wine list. Our table was ready timely although we did wait due to arriving earlier than réservation. The only negative is there is no good place to wait if you can't be seated immediately. It was too cold to be outside. Consequently we were in service way but they handled this graciously. I also really appreciate actually talking with a person about réservation. I'm not a fan of trend of having your restaurant calls handled by a phone tree and message machine. It's very impersonal and doesn't always address the question timely. But that's a whole other issue. Mkt was a great finish to a very pleasant evening out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tiny restaurantakq1VIPDined on 11/14/2014The restaurant is tiny so make sure to reserve a table weeks in advance. Even so, our take wasn't ready until 30 mins after our rez time and there is literally no place to wait. Service was good - everyone is very personable. Our favourite dishes were the roasted green beans, ravioli, scallops and beef. We'd pass on the fried quail next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemtjtravelVIPDined on 11/14/2014We love this place. Dined there Friday night for the 6th time. The food is always delicious -- the best Wagyu beef in the city. The chef is fantastic!! We live sitting at the bar to watch the chef in action. They just added an incredible beet salad to the menu and the black cod was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the worst times I've hadquardoxDined on 11/11/2014We had read great things about mkt and I was excited to treat my wife to dinner at mkt for our 6 year anniversary. My reservation indicated that it was our first time and I asked for a seat away from the door. We arrived exactly on time but our reserved seats - putting us right next to the door - were not yet ready. We saw two other seats prepared, but were told that "wasn't where they were planning to put us" before relenting. We wriggled our way into our seats, were given menus, and several minutes later a server told us he was going to pick up wine but would return shortly. We waited, waited and waited for 25 minutes. We got fed up and left without even getting to make a drink order. I would recommend this restaurant to no-one.
- KrisDined on 11/11/2014Absolutely loved the grilled, marinated green beans, the Wagyu beef and above all else, the Chocolate Terrine. We celebrated a friends birthday and we all loved the ambiance, food, attention to detail, cocktails....everything. The only drawback (and this is minor) is that the chairs do not have more than a couple inches of backing. If you like to lean back in your seat, sit on the booth side. And, make a reservation. Mkt is not a large restaurant but it is certainly worth a plan & reservation to dine that....fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Rubuchon potatoes!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/10/2014We tried 7 dishes and all were exceptional. But the Rubuchon style potatoes were insane.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- emzabDined on 11/1/2014It was a great spot in the heart of tangle town. The food was delicious and the service was great.Special Features:
- Creative delicious foodcomet43Dined on 10/31/2014The food was creative and delicious. The recommendations from our server were spot on for the wine and food. A great evening!Special Features:
- Snug space but good food.JoshrielDined on 10/30/2014Food was quite tasty. You could tell the ingredients were fresh and of quality. We found it slightly over priced for what you receive. The restaurant is very small, no waiting area or bar, which means you most likely will be waiting outside in the rain as we did. While eating you can see the kitchen working right behind your table, but that also means you get a lot of kitchen noise. The restaurant is very snug, essentially one long bench split into sections, you may find yourself feeling claustrophobic while eating. There is no privacy and a lot of noise. The wine menu is very good and the staff is knowledgeable and eager to help you make a selection. The wine prices are a little excessive but there is usually something on special.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealpickyeaterVIPDined on 10/29/2014We tried mkt. during restaurant week, which in my experience can be a mistake, and we were very pleased. The food, service and atmosphere were outstanding. The only negative thing is the chairs- very hard to sit for a long period of time. But when the meal is ended with a bag of home made pasta being delivered with the check for diners to take home, it eases the pain a bit. It is also worth mentioning how tiny this restaruant is. A wonderful experience all around.Special Features:
- One-of-a-kindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014Eating here was an exciting experience as a whole- the crowded coziness, the open kitchen, waiters navigating tight spaces, and sharing mouth-watering dishes (not to mention unbeatable desserts)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Experience!JackieDined on 10/28/2014This was our first time at mkt. and I can't say enough great things about it. The restaurant is small but it made us feel like we were at a family function, with all the comforts of home, except the food was way better! My husband and I went with another couple for Seattle Restaurant Week. We were so lucky to have Simon and Seth taking care of us. They were fantastic! We tried 1 of each 1st course and shared - smart idea because everything was delicious. If we had to pick a favorite, Dinah's Cheese and the Hamachi ceviche tied....amazing. Second course - steak and scallops - both were cooked perfectly. The wine Simon recommended and all of our desserts were also incredible. Highly recommended and we will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ethan stowell redeemedamsyDined on 10/27/2014I went to how to cook a wolf and wasnt that impressed with the food. I was skeptical trying another ethan stowell restaurant. Mkt was everything and more what i was expecting from a Ethan Stowell restaurant. Food was absolutely delicious with great wine and service. Restaurant is quite small so great for a date night.Special Features:
- Mkt. restaurant is a tiny gem.PhinneydinersDined on 10/27/2014This gem is worth traveling for. The food is all about local, fresh and original. The service was perfect with an attentive, knowledgeable wait staff. Our shared, recommended black cod was over the top delicious. The dessert of fresh pear sorbet and some wonderful chocolate concoction on a toffee base with salted caramel accent... Oh, boy! What a deal for Restaurant Week, but no matter we will be back on our own timing. Go Ethan Stowell!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot!wontdisappointDined on 10/22/2014Food was fantastic Staff was friendly, even addressed me by name as I was leaving (remembered my name when checking in for my reservation) Will definitely be back to try other items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality foodAnyaVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food iis great. Seasonal and top quality ingredients. You eat as the food arrives at your table, so plan to share place is small. Place is small with only 28!seats. You are close together and it can be loud. This gives it a very cozy feel, but not a place for an intimate dinner. Servers are knowledgable and very welcoming. They make you feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!WedgwoodMomVIPDined on 10/22/2014Restaurant week meal was fantastic!!! Menu was innovative, each bite a distinct delight, which is very rare, especially during restaurant week when lot of places seem to cut corners. Service was top notch too. I don't remember last time I've left a restaurant and (on a busy Friday night no less) have waiters, several kitchen staff turn around to ask how my meal was and actually CARE what I have to say. The crew is passionate about their craft and it shows. Mkt is my new favorite!Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Tiny SpaceKaseyDined on 10/22/2014We ate during Seattle Restaurant week, even on the restricted menu everything we had was from very good to outstanding. Our waitress was a pleasure. It is like eating on a boat, no excess space, and you wonder where they store things (like plates and silverware).Special Features:
- Very diner like with great foodDaveDined on 10/21/2014Portions smaller than a french snack bar. Too bad because the food was great. Extremely noisy, dishwasher in the room. Chairs designed by the Marquis de Sade. No ambiance. No private conversation.
- mkt is amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014The food is cooked to perfection. This has to be one of the best restaurants in Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!LilyDined on 10/15/2014Amazing food & Amazing service!! Fun, energetic & intimate restaurant. Another Ethan gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/13/2014Great food, perfect for sharing, not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicholas R.NicholasRDined on 10/11/2014This place was top notch. I was on a date here and our waiter was amazing and made us feel very comfortable. All of our food and wine was really great. Everything was very fresh and seasoned/ cooked perfectly. And the restaurant is in a cool part of Seattle that I never go to so that's always nice to switch up the scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsBobby202Dined on 10/7/2014A very small restaurant - 29 seats. We chose it because we wanted something other than a big "glitzy" space but with excellent food. An Ethan Stowell (James Beard Award winner) restaurant, as expected, was excellent. The salmon was "melt-in-your-mouth" and the Lamb tenderloin was perfectly cooked. The servings appear small but were quite adequate for us. The staff and service were awesome.Special Features:
- Gem in Tangletown - little crampedBJG69Dined on 10/7/2014Great little spot in Tangletown and entire staff were great and pleasant. Seating is tight and honestly a little cramped. Lot's of gluten free options on the menu, high quality small plates and to-share entrees. $25 corkage is extreme. Will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great combo!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2014awesome food and great service!! a very hard combination to find in seattle area...Special Features:
- Loved the food and serviceAuntieMDined on 10/4/2014First my disclaimer: I'm a vegetarian. I started with the beet salad; taste and presentation were excellent. Followed the salad with carrot ravioli which was also excellent. They missed bringing me my dessert order (I think there was confusion about whether we were ordering 1 to share or 2) but I didn't ding them on service because of the following: The server was very patient while I tried 3 wines before I found one that I liked. I plan on coming back a lot and consider them competition for Tilth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Unbelievable ServiceCallMeIshVIPDined on 10/3/2014Energy everywhere, in the food, and the service. Food was great--we are vegetarians, and everything we had featured the flavor and texture of vegetables. And as great as the food was, service was even better. The staff brought such a positive energy. Watching the night fall from the front communal table, the evening was truly memorable.Special Features:
- exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014our waiter paired wine selections for each course we ordered....was so much fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysJeffDined on 10/1/2014Been here a handful of times, the food is always fantastic, service is always top-notch, and it's a great time. I would recommend mkt to anyone looking for a special dinner. Intimate atmosphere with great food.Special Features:
- Reservation?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014I had made a reservation several days in advance and the reservation was confirmed the night before the dinner. However, when we showed up they told us that no table was available and squished us into a couple of seats on a bench. We were told we would be moved to a table once it became available but that never happened. The food and service was excellent but a reservation should hold a table. I was disappointed and likely won't return.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriselike2eatDined on 9/24/2014My wife and I just had our anniversary dinner at Mkt. and the experience was wonderful. Such a cozy atmosphere and the food was amazing! Good service and atmosphere. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!Kitty82Dined on 9/20/2014Delicious food, tasty drinks, great service and a fun atmosphere. We will definitely be going back soon!Special Features:
- DeliciousmellimelDined on 9/20/2014You cannot choose something off of this menu you won't like. The food is amazing, service is stupendous, and the overall experience perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014This being our first visit, we were dismayed to wait standing outside for almost 25 minutes even though we arrived on time for our reservation that had been confirmed that day. The table at which we were seated was clean, set, and available for the entire wait time. Once we were seated, the service was very good. Food was really interesting and well prepared. Our server was knowledgable and helpful in choosing dishes that would work well together and we had a great time and will recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014There wasn't a wrong note to be had. Every dish was amazingly good. The cod was a revelation, putting all other cod I've ever had in the dust. The wine recommended by our server went beautifully with our selections. I look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ellieDined on 9/16/2014The food was delicious, as it has been on the three other occasions that I went to Mkt. Our server, Ani, was incredible. She was attentive, gave very helpful suggestions and even allowed us to have a taste of a few wines that we were deciding between.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Mkt was terrific and we had an outstanding time there. The seasonal food was delicious and full flavored and we ended up ordering extras because it was so good. The staff was attentive but not too much so, and very friendly. This is a new favorite place to bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.