MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant
620 Dolley Madison Road
Greensboro, NC 27410Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mjssteakandseafood.com/
- Phone: (336) 852-4889
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tad Engstrom
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: MJ's Specializes in Boutique and Uniquely Designed Wedding Events:
Rehearsal and Wedding Receptions
Intimate on-site events
Customized off-site settings
Experienced and professional wait staff
Experienced and licensed bartenders
- Private Party Facilities: Our upstairs level has two areas for private dining. MJ's also offers areas of our patio for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Mindy Calvin or Tad Engstrom 3368524889
- Entertainment: Live Music Friday and Saturday nights.
We offer a mix of music styles provided by the local musicians featured at MJ's throughout the year.
A word from MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant
MJ's is a local family owned restaurant. Our chef/owner Tad Engstrom uses Classical French cooking techniques with a southern influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greensboro ›
MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
1 review since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Great Food and Romantic AtmosphereMelissaDined on 11/15/2014Cute restaurant with great wine list and appetizers. Absolutely loved the fried green tomatoes with pimento and goat cheese. Menu was quite extensive/creative and I'll definitely come back on my next trip to Greensboro.Special Features:
- Never fails to impress!GSOpatronDined on 11/7/2014This was our third time eating at MJ's, and it was as consistently executed: our appetizers and entrées were cooked perfectly, the timing of the courses was spot-on considering how busy they were (always make a reservation by the way), and the staff is extremely courteous and friendly.Special Features:
- BAPetersDined on 11/7/2014Food, service superb. Pricey. A little noisy for a quiet dinner for two.Special Features:
- Very nice meal….KyCutterDined on 10/29/2014I recently dined at MJ's and had a very positive experience. The food, service and ambience were all top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice TimegardensalDined on 10/25/2014Four of us had a wonderful meal. Fun appetizers - the cheese plate and fried green tomatos were unique. Every bite was gone. Three of us had steaks - they were cooked perfectly and we enjoyed the sauces and sides that came with the meal. One had the JD porkchop. It was cooked with a hint of pink and the glaze was to die for. Had to share desserts - chocolate pecan pie and lemon pie - yes, yes, yes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet and enjoyable eveningNYreviewDined on 10/24/2014This was my wife's and I's first time at MJ's. My wife at shrimp and grits and I had the flatiron steak. The food was excellent. We had a small table in an area of the restaurant looking out to the back garden which was quiet and romantic. Our service was excellent. Our waiter was knowledgeable and answered all of our questions on the wine and food. He was very personable and friendly and always had a sincere smile on his face. Everything made it a very special night for my wife and I.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceVladimirDined on 10/18/2014One of the best places to eat in Greensboro area. Creative menu and reasonable wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food ExperienceLoveGoodFoodDined on 10/18/2014The food's presentation and quality was excellent. The service was friendly and professional. Would gladly recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This is my third time at MJs and won't be my last. Food and service is incredible. Wine list and drinks great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatPilotbumVIPDined on 10/15/2014I'm from out of town but can always count on MJ's for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Signature Martinis Are DeliciousOut2EatDined on 10/4/2014I had the candy one and my husband had the tequila one. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Always goodDavidVIPDined on 9/29/2014Excellent food...excellent service ...what else could you ask for. :)Special Features:
- Great Main Course, App SOSOCourtneyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Our main courses were absolutely delicious- however, the tuna tartare we ordered as an app was definitely not up to par. After only eating 1-2 bites of the app, we complained, did not finish the dish, yet were still charged for it. Because of this, I probably would not return.Special Features:
- MJ'S WAS PHENOMENAL!!STK1Dined on 9/26/2014I truly LOVED MJ's & thought the overall experience was phenomenal!! This was our first time eating at MJ's & I was truly astounded. The food was superb, the staff was friendly, the server was excellent, and the atmosphere was very cozy & romantic. This is a restaurant that you can't dine out everyday because it's priced higher than the average restaurant. However, I would say that it was well beyond worth it!!!Special Features:
- Feels like Home with better foodDavidVIPDined on 9/22/2014Gourmet comfort food. A great value and incredible tastes. This is a go to place without having to rob a bank to cover the check. Intimate place for a special night. The family oriented respectful service here is impeccable! I can be a demanding customer and they always make any changes happen with no drama ever... this is how it should be done ...every where... this is a rare gem. Greensboro Native and wine collector who travels a lot for work and knows great restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent wine and cocktail size and a fair price. Rib-eye steak was flavorful and done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite!bluedevilfanDined on 8/23/2014This was our first visit, though our friends go often. It is just not on our regular route so we never think of it. Made the effort to get there this weekend and so glad we did. The food was terrific, and we had a great waiter (two actually) that made it even better. It will be a regular spot for us now. They have music outside on the weekends too that was not obtrusive but added a nice touch on a pretty night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place of a lunch meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014This was the perfect place to talk business with colleagues. Good food and quiet.Special Features:
- Everything was great here!MB1970Dined on 8/11/2014We had a 7 o'clock reservation and there was no wait for our table when we arrived. The service was excellent. The menu selections were very good. The pace of our meal was perfect, and the ambience of the restaurant really allowed my wife and I to enjoy each others company. We will definitely be returning here to dine again, and I would recommend this restaurant to friends, family, co-workers, etc...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night Out!!!!!!FriendsDined on 8/8/2014I was at MJ's with a party of 5 celebrating my birthday. Overall the food was good. My food was hot, but the rest of my party food was lukewarm. The restaurant did give me a free dessert to make up for the warm not hot food. Another friend joined us later for drinks, and the restaurant ran out of their stainless steel Eco-Friendly straws, so they were given a drink stirrer to drink a Mojito with. A 20% Gratuity was automatically added to our bills which was a little surprising for a small group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistenly Excellent!DavidVIPDined on 8/4/2014I almost hate to say consistent as it seems to say normal. Hardly. The menu changes regularly and always top notch. And this comes from a big time foodie wine collector. The kitchen has it going on...as well as the incredible service...it is hard to go anywhere else...for comfort food...gourmet food at it's best...and a great value... Kudos!!Special Features:
- Great timeDivinelyBlessedDined on 8/4/2014We were a group of ladies having a ladies' night out. We had a great time. The food was great and the staff was very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationsexceptionalDined on 8/1/2014We visited MJs for the first time when my brother and his wife came to see us from Florida. He travels and was leaning to another nation wide steak house but I had made reservations at MJs. It was perfect, the service and the food. My anniversary is coming up and I am hoping my husband will bring me to MJs.Special Features:
- Every bite was AMAZINGAngieDined on 8/1/2014This is whole truth and nothing but the truth. I knew the food was incredibly flavorful, complimentary and sensual as I was eating but not until I'm writing did I realize how much joy I experienced during every single bite of my meal. I'm smiling as I remember and try to describe the delicate balance of flavors that resounded within and throughout the delicate sea scallops, coconut infused rice, spinach and carrot ensemble with truffle essence as well as some amazing sauce garnishing the perimeter of the plate. Without fear of going overboard, I'll end by saying the flavors mingled and enhanced each other perfectly and I can't wait to visit MJ's Seafood again.Special Features:
- MaggieVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food and service are always excellent - I really enjoyed the new Tuna dish on the menuSpecial Features:
- One of my favorite places to eatEllyDined on 7/31/2014From all of my experiences (I'd say about 6) at this restaurant, I never had to wait for a reserved table, the staff was accommodating and friendly, and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014we have had a number of great dining experiences at MJ's, never a bad dish, service always great. Our favorite in GSOSpecial Features:
- Very nice placeRaysDined on 7/28/2014Located in an old house, it is a pleasant place for dinner. The food is very good, we had ribeye steak and shrimp & grits, and the service is excellent. Waiter knowledgeable about menu & wines and very friendly to boot. We were in the sunroom overlooking the back yard where you can eat outdoors. Oh yeah, excellent truffle fries.Special Features:
- Another excellent mj's nightLauraDined on 7/25/2014Eating outside listening to live music! Fish of the day with lobster mashed potatoes! Need I say more!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible BuyDavidVIPDined on 7/21/2014Just when you think this place cannot get any better...it does... had a couple of chicken dishes this week that blew me away, and an old stand by scallops and mushroom risotto that was wonderful with an incredible buttery sweet Riesling kind of Beurre blanc that was extremely tasty... great chefs can constantly bring wonderful new things to the table... Tad and Zeke make a great team with Mindy and the whole crew treating you like family on every visit...no I take that back...better than family!! :)Special Features:
- Great Food & AmbienceRandADined on 7/19/2014My wife and I love dining at MJ's. The menu selection is just the right amount, and the dishes we have had were fantastic. The chef (team) have been great at blending ingredients & flavors (on the starters/entrees we've tried). The wait staff is always top-notch as well. Inside or outside, the ambience adds to the dining experience. Excellent spot for great food and dining atmosphere (couples up to small group).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Entries good. Striped fish very tasty. Salad good but lettuce for wedge had no green all yellow. Lobster mashed potatoes good touch. We had a table up front near music that I would assume they like to put first time open table guests. I would rather set back from music. Also this table did not have an umbrella which would be an issue on hotter nights. I rate expeierence a 7. Would recommend.Special Features:
- A Nice SurpriseMark2BruteeDined on 7/18/2014It was Friday evening and there was live music on the patio, which we really enjoyed. Food was impeccable. Service could have been a bit more attentive, but was adequate at the very least. The most disappointing thing was there was no dessert without chocolate or nuts and my wife is allergic to both...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gathering with out-of-townersmimi13Dined on 7/14/2014We had a wonderful evening with family members visiting from Hilton Head and Atlanta. We appreciated MJ's willingness to let 2 of us share an entree and to accommodate my husband's need for soft foods. He was even offered a sample of the soup so he could determine if he could eat it - he could. Service was a bit slow but we appreciated that our server was very attentive. We would have liked to eat outside but it was too hot on the evening we were there. Maybe next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyabeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014food and service were wonderful....a great place for a "ladies" lunch outing. Food and wine choices plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014This is a our favorite restaurant! Wonderful food great service...EVERY time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/21/2014Excellent restaurant! Food and service are wonderful, not first time eating there. Will return many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest Greensboro Dining ExperiencehardtopleaseDined on 6/21/2014We brought another couple with us for Saturday evening dining and could not have been more pleased and satisfied. Each of us ordered something different ~ scallops, salmon, catfish, shrimp and grits ~ and all of us described it as the best we have ever eaten. The serving of E.V.O.O. with an herbal mix in which one can dip the most delicious warm crusty bread was a wonderful prelude to the rest of the meal .Where other restaurants may have fine steaks or seafood, M.J.'s is truly fine cuisine. The home atmosphere is cozy and private although it could have been just a bit cooler. Service was superb and comparable to that of any fine dining establishment. Congratulations to the chef! This was a culinary experience; see you soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Meal!kgwilson620Dined on 6/18/2014This was my second trip to MJ's and it was just as fantastic as the first! This visit was a business dinner with eight in our party. We ordered the calimari and fried green tomatoes for appetizers and they were perfectly prepared. Everyone really enjoyed their entrees. I had the pan seared mahi mahi with a jalapeno polenta cake, arugula crab salad and asparagus. It was one of the best meals I have ever had! The dessert menu sounded divine, but we were all too full from dinner. MJ's also has an extensive wine list and a full bar. Their specialty cocktails are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best.TheseusDined on 6/18/2014This is one of the best places in Greensboro. Excellent food, service, and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.