MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant
620 Dolley Madison Road
Greensboro, NC 27410Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mjssteakandseafood.com/
- Phone: 336-852-4889
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tad Engstrom
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: MJ's Specializes in Boutique and Uniquely Designed Wedding Events:
Rehearsal and Wedding Receptions
Intimate on-site events
Customized off-site settings
Experienced and professional wait staff
Experienced and licensed bartenders
- Private Party Facilities: Our upstairs level has two areas for private dining. MJ's also offers areas of our patio for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Mindy Calvin or Tad Engstrom 3368524889
- Entertainment: Live Music Friday and Saturday nights.
We offer a mix of music styles provided by the local musicians featured at MJ's throughout the year.
A word from MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant
MJ's is a local family owned restaurant. Our chef/owner Tad Engstrom uses Classical French cooking techniques with a southern influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greensboro ›
MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (36)special occasion (33)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (27)notable wine list (18)good for groups (18)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (9)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great Main Course, App SOSOCourtneyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Our main courses were absolutely delicious- however, the tuna tartare we ordered as an app was definitely not up to par. After only eating 1-2 bites of the app, we complained, did not finish the dish, yet were still charged for it. Because of this, I probably would not return.Special Features:
- Feels like Home with better foodDavidVIPDined on 9/22/2014Gourmet comfort food. A great value and incredible tastes. This is a go to place without having to rob a bank to cover the check. Intimate place for a special night. The family oriented respectful service here is impeccable! I can be a demanding customer and they always make any changes happen with no drama ever... this is how it should be done ...every where... this is a rare gem. Greensboro Native and wine collector who travels a lot for work and knows great restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent wine and cocktail size and a fair price. Rib-eye steak was flavorful and done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite!bluedevilfanDined on 8/23/2014This was our first visit, though our friends go often. It is just not on our regular route so we never think of it. Made the effort to get there this weekend and so glad we did. The food was terrific, and we had a great waiter (two actually) that made it even better. It will be a regular spot for us now. They have music outside on the weekends too that was not obtrusive but added a nice touch on a pretty night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place of a lunch meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014This was the perfect place to talk business with colleagues. Good food and quiet.Special Features:
- Everything was great here!MB1970Dined on 8/11/2014We had a 7 o'clock reservation and there was no wait for our table when we arrived. The service was excellent. The menu selections were very good. The pace of our meal was perfect, and the ambience of the restaurant really allowed my wife and I to enjoy each others company. We will definitely be returning here to dine again, and I would recommend this restaurant to friends, family, co-workers, etc...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night Out!!!!!!FriendsDined on 8/8/2014I was at MJ's with a party of 5 celebrating my birthday. Overall the food was good. My food was hot, but the rest of my party food was lukewarm. The restaurant did give me a free dessert to make up for the warm not hot food. Another friend joined us later for drinks, and the restaurant ran out of their stainless steel Eco-Friendly straws, so they were given a drink stirrer to drink a Mojito with. A 20% Gratuity was automatically added to our bills which was a little surprising for a small group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistenly Excellent!DavidVIPDined on 8/4/2014I almost hate to say consistent as it seems to say normal. Hardly. The menu changes regularly and always top notch. And this comes from a big time foodie wine collector. The kitchen has it going on...as well as the incredible service...it is hard to go anywhere else...for comfort food...gourmet food at it's best...and a great value... Kudos!!Special Features:
- Great timeDivinelyBlessedDined on 8/4/2014We were a group of ladies having a ladies' night out. We had a great time. The food was great and the staff was very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationsexceptionalDined on 8/1/2014We visited MJs for the first time when my brother and his wife came to see us from Florida. He travels and was leaning to another nation wide steak house but I had made reservations at MJs. It was perfect, the service and the food. My anniversary is coming up and I am hoping my husband will bring me to MJs.Special Features:
- Every bite was AMAZINGAngieDined on 8/1/2014This is whole truth and nothing but the truth. I knew the food was incredibly flavorful, complimentary and sensual as I was eating but not until I'm writing did I realize how much joy I experienced during every single bite of my meal. I'm smiling as I remember and try to describe the delicate balance of flavors that resounded within and throughout the delicate sea scallops, coconut infused rice, spinach and carrot ensemble with truffle essence as well as some amazing sauce garnishing the perimeter of the plate. Without fear of going overboard, I'll end by saying the flavors mingled and enhanced each other perfectly and I can't wait to visit MJ's Seafood again.Special Features:
- MaggieVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food and service are always excellent - I really enjoyed the new Tuna dish on the menuSpecial Features:
- One of my favorite places to eatEllyDined on 7/31/2014From all of my experiences (I'd say about 6) at this restaurant, I never had to wait for a reserved table, the staff was accommodating and friendly, and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014we have had a number of great dining experiences at MJ's, never a bad dish, service always great. Our favorite in GSOSpecial Features:
- Very nice placeRaysDined on 7/28/2014Located in an old house, it is a pleasant place for dinner. The food is very good, we had ribeye steak and shrimp & grits, and the service is excellent. Waiter knowledgeable about menu & wines and very friendly to boot. We were in the sunroom overlooking the back yard where you can eat outdoors. Oh yeah, excellent truffle fries.Special Features:
- Another excellent mj's nightLauraDined on 7/25/2014Eating outside listening to live music! Fish of the day with lobster mashed potatoes! Need I say more!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible BuyDavidVIPDined on 7/21/2014Just when you think this place cannot get any better...it does... had a couple of chicken dishes this week that blew me away, and an old stand by scallops and mushroom risotto that was wonderful with an incredible buttery sweet Riesling kind of Beurre blanc that was extremely tasty... great chefs can constantly bring wonderful new things to the table... Tad and Zeke make a great team with Mindy and the whole crew treating you like family on every visit...no I take that back...better than family!! :)Special Features:
- Great Food & AmbienceRandADined on 7/19/2014My wife and I love dining at MJ's. The menu selection is just the right amount, and the dishes we have had were fantastic. The chef (team) have been great at blending ingredients & flavors (on the starters/entrees we've tried). The wait staff is always top-notch as well. Inside or outside, the ambience adds to the dining experience. Excellent spot for great food and dining atmosphere (couples up to small group).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Entries good. Striped fish very tasty. Salad good but lettuce for wedge had no green all yellow. Lobster mashed potatoes good touch. We had a table up front near music that I would assume they like to put first time open table guests. I would rather set back from music. Also this table did not have an umbrella which would be an issue on hotter nights. I rate expeierence a 7. Would recommend.Special Features:
- A Nice SurpriseMark2BruteeDined on 7/18/2014It was Friday evening and there was live music on the patio, which we really enjoyed. Food was impeccable. Service could have been a bit more attentive, but was adequate at the very least. The most disappointing thing was there was no dessert without chocolate or nuts and my wife is allergic to both...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gathering with out-of-townersmimi13Dined on 7/14/2014We had a wonderful evening with family members visiting from Hilton Head and Atlanta. We appreciated MJ's willingness to let 2 of us share an entree and to accommodate my husband's need for soft foods. He was even offered a sample of the soup so he could determine if he could eat it - he could. Service was a bit slow but we appreciated that our server was very attentive. We would have liked to eat outside but it was too hot on the evening we were there. Maybe next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyabeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014food and service were wonderful....a great place for a "ladies" lunch outing. Food and wine choices plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014This is a our favorite restaurant! Wonderful food great service...EVERY time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/21/2014Excellent restaurant! Food and service are wonderful, not first time eating there. Will return many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest Greensboro Dining ExperiencehardtopleaseDined on 6/21/2014We brought another couple with us for Saturday evening dining and could not have been more pleased and satisfied. Each of us ordered something different ~ scallops, salmon, catfish, shrimp and grits ~ and all of us described it as the best we have ever eaten. The serving of E.V.O.O. with an herbal mix in which one can dip the most delicious warm crusty bread was a wonderful prelude to the rest of the meal .Where other restaurants may have fine steaks or seafood, M.J.'s is truly fine cuisine. The home atmosphere is cozy and private although it could have been just a bit cooler. Service was superb and comparable to that of any fine dining establishment. Congratulations to the chef! This was a culinary experience; see you soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Meal!kgwilson620Dined on 6/18/2014This was my second trip to MJ's and it was just as fantastic as the first! This visit was a business dinner with eight in our party. We ordered the calimari and fried green tomatoes for appetizers and they were perfectly prepared. Everyone really enjoyed their entrees. I had the pan seared mahi mahi with a jalapeno polenta cake, arugula crab salad and asparagus. It was one of the best meals I have ever had! The dessert menu sounded divine, but we were all too full from dinner. MJ's also has an extensive wine list and a full bar. Their specialty cocktails are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best.TheseusDined on 6/18/2014This is one of the best places in Greensboro. Excellent food, service, and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was WonderfulMartyDined on 6/16/2014We were just in town overnight and saw it was on Opentable web site. We were so glad we went. It is in an old house made into a restaurant. Was so charming.Special Features:
- Excellence..DavidVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is the gourmet comfort food winner in the Triad. Excellent quality, and staff always willing to make changes to accommodate. Kudos!Special Features:
- We love MJ's!LauraDined on 6/14/2014We are regulars and love Tim to wait on us and Ben behind the bar! The food is delicious (especially the lobster mashed potatoes), the bar is fun, and music outside in nice weather is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fav....bdaygirlDined on 6/13/2014We frequent MJ's on average twice a week... It is a family owned company and they make you feel like family! We have made many new friends there and can always count on a delicious meal!Special Features:
- Great meal; great place!busyguyinGreensboroVIPDined on 6/7/2014As always, MJs served up a great evening for my wife and I along with 4 guests new to MJs. MJs did not disappoint. We had a great meal on the patio, and were treated to some great music too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timejrhrphDined on 6/6/2014The food,ambience(out door patio), along with the music that night,will having us coming back for more.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurant!winesnobDined on 5/31/2014Wonderful food, excellent and attentive staff, and great ambience... outdoor on the patio in the summer, indoor by the fireplace in the winter. Excellent bartenders with interesting drink menu and a good wine list (by the glass and bottle). A typical night at MJ's will include plenty of couples on a date, groups of friends, and regulars stopping in a for a drink and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 107 reviews are from the MJ's Steak and Seafood Restaurant reviews archive.
- Anniversary DinnerspfoodiesDined on 5/29/2014My wife and I recently chose MJ's at the advice of a friend. The dinner was fantastic with every element of the meal exceeding our wildest expectations. Our drinks, appetizers and entrée were well paced by our server. Our server was very knowledgeable of the menu and provided great service. Rarely have I had a dinner experience where every aspect from appetizer to dessert exceeded every expectation. The only knock on the evening was that we were seated in a "crowded" area when there was ample room to allow my wife and I more privacy for our dinner. Otherwise, this place is spectacular and I highly recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesOzzykikiDined on 5/16/2014This is one of my top five for Greensboro dining.... Try it out. You will love the outdoor dining and inside as well. Wonderful menu. Great service! What more do you need?Special Features:
- Loveitfriends4lunchDined on 5/14/2014This is a lovely spot for a bridal luncheon, special birthday with girl friends or just a couple of friends to catch up with each other. It's like being at home in your dinning room and then on a lovely day, dining outside is a must. Great selection of food and excellent service.Special Features:
- I recommend!!!ASJoelDined on 5/9/2014The food was amazing. Every item we had was delicious. We had no issues with the service; which was prompt and the staff was knowledgeable. The restaurant had some live music when my wife and I were there but if not for that, the place would be quiet.Special Features:
- Great lunch spot!greatfoodDined on 5/9/2014We came here for lunch and WOW! It was excellent. I would highly recommend MJ's to anyone who wants a great and relaxing lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the game...DavidVIPDined on 5/3/2014This place is at the top of their game... fit for foodies as well as those who enjoy comfort food. The test of a great restaurant is wonderfully tasting and plated food... but also a kitchen who can adapt to special requests. There is no better than here. I must admit I can often be a challenge as I ask to modify my requests pften... and without a beat they happily fulfill my request. This is why I can go there 2-5 a week and always have a great experience. I almost hate writing this review as I know it is getting busier there... but I hope they are around a very very long time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.