M.J. O'Connors Park Plaza
27 Columbus Ave
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
M.J. O'Connors Park Plaza
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.back-bay.mjoconnors.com/about
- Phone: (617) 482-2255
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Irish
- Executive Chef: Janine Giarla
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from M.J. O'Connors Park Plaza
Classic comfort food nourishes the body and the soul. At MJ's, you’ll find a cozy neighborhood pub where you can enjoy a warm meal and a pint of ale. Join us in our inviting Back Bay location and enjoy a modern approach to traditional Irish favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
M.J. O'Connors Park Plaza reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (6)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Thanks you for great evening. Food was wonderful and very good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but not greatstevenflorioVIPDined on 11/2/2014The restaurant as a whole was okay, but it was very loud and more of a bar then a restaurant. The service was nothing special, food was the same as you can get anywhere and nothing was outstanding. Thought it might be a cool place to get a bite to eat before a show, but instead it was a loud bar with minimal service for dining guests and average food.Special Features:
- Irish barRobertGFromLaJollaDined on 10/18/2014With great bar food , nice service. Tasty appetizersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidVIPDined on 10/17/2014Good food and service. Irish themed food choices on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly a Smelly BarRandyontheglobeDined on 10/10/2014The ambience is pure sports bar/beer pub. I had a stuffed salmon that was way overcooked. It's stuffing was primarily processed cheese. My companion enjoyed his mac and cheese, however. If you just want pub fare and and can look past the smell of stale beer you might enjoy the place. I did not.
- Great dinner!Ag973Dined on 8/8/2014Was in town with my 7 year old for Comic-Con and came here for dinner. Not only was the staff friendly and efficient, the food was fantastic and at 6pm on a Friday, came out quickly. I would highly recommend this to anyone-especially those with children!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 25 reviews are from the M.J. O'Connors Park Plaza reviews archive.
- mydailybreadDined on 7/13/2014Would gladly recommend as a sports bar destination. Would not recommend for quiet or even semi-quiet family dining. Server was friendly and food delivered promptly.Special Features:
- Dark DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014We had to use our phones to read the menu because it was so dark. Mostly everyone at our table was happy with their food. Service was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014first time trying this place and was extremely happy with my experience! The food was great and our waiter was very attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SundayGregeastieDined on 5/18/2014Excellent service and fun place. Food is really good for a pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/11/2014The food was good, but the service was very slow.Special Features:
- Great choice for NCAA Final FourfishfrenzyDined on 4/5/2014Great viewing for the NCAA games. Popular, good 'vibe' but not ridiculously noisy or packed. Lots of screens for viewing. Very good service. Food was particularly good. Lots of options (our party included omnivore, vegetarian and gluten-free diets...) and all very tasty. Large portions. My salad, the poached pear spinach salad with fried goat cheese was delicious--pears were very flavorful as was the cheese and the spinach very fresh. The only advice I would add is the balance--there was simply a TON of spinach, so it didn't have to be quite that huge. Multiple apps were also excellent as was the beer/wine/cocktail list. Thanks!Special Features:
- Quaint and comfyWillowDined on 3/20/2014Very busy on a Thursday evening but got a table quickly. Typical old style irish pub with plenty of character. Waitress wasn't the friendliest which is the only reason I only gave 4 stars for service. Come on, we're customers -- put some friendly effort into it. Food came out quickly and was very good with very fair prices. We were staying at the Park Plaza so it couldn't have been more convenient. Beer selection was a bit ordinary, would love to see that improved. We stayed at the hotel for 4 days and visited O'Connors twice. Enjoyable, relaxing, quaint. Yes, we'll go back again next time we visit Boston.Special Features:
- Boston March 2014Slat106Dined on 3/15/2014There were 6 people in our party and the service was efficient and our wait person attentive. We had a reservation and were immediately seated. One person in our group had the New England Clam chowder and said it was excellent. The haddock special was flavorful and cooked perfectly. This was St. Patrick's day weekend and the restaurant was very noisy and difficult to carry on a conversation. The prices were very reasonable and the location on Park Plaza was was only a block from the Arlington subway station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American IrelandwickedTeeDined on 2/22/2014I have been coming to this location for over 10 years. The beer is amazing, the food is good when you're strapped for $, the service reminds me of college. It's a typical Irish pub like scene. Go there knowing THAT and you'll enjoy it.Special Features:
- Good food, very convenientBethDined on 2/20/2014We aren't from the area and stayed at the Park Plaza Hotel. This was a convenient place to eat and was very good! The spinach artichoke dip/ chips was fantastic! Fish and chips were also excellent. The buffalo Mac n cheese was a bit hotter than we like, though. The atmosphere was fun as well and the beer list was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location and sweet potato friKitlen46Dined on 2/14/2014As a last resort for an 8 PM reservation on Valentine's Day, things turned out pretty well. The drink menu was pretty simple with more focus on beers. The food was better than we'd expected. Between us we had broiled haddock, almond crusted salmon and a sandwich with sweet potato fries (outstanding!). A Guiness girl was there and gave out free glasses of the beer which was also great. There were some couples, some loud parties, it was a good energy for a Friday night. Best part is that it's pretty close to Boylston and we walked to Copley afterwards which was not a bad walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was fine.OntheflyDined on 1/17/2014Nothing terrible, nothing overly spectacular. Food was good, service was very good. Just felt like a hotel bar (which it is) with a bunch of tourists. And not even half full on a Friday night. With so many other options in Boston, I don't know if I'd return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- California chowder, isn't this goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/17/2014This is my first time in Boston, friends told me to try the clam chowder. The chowder was way better than the chowders I've had in Cali. The staff was pleasant and the atmosphere was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place and Food though CrowdedmeatlovrDined on 12/21/2013We were staying at a hotel nearby and wanted to find a good place to eat with our 6 year old daughter. M.J O'Connors was a good choice for us, as it had a nice variety of food and drinks and a kids menu as well. I'm glad that we got a reservation, as on a Saturday night (even as early as 6pm) they were very busy and crowded. It was hard to walk between tables, but once seated the service was fine, and although it was loud, we could talk without yelling. The atmosphere and the food was good. I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation for 4 adults andLyneladyDined on 12/6/2013Reservation for 4 adults and 4 kids honored on time; wait staff was prompt at taking and fulfilling our drink/ food orders. Waitress was accommodating with my pregnant daughter's special requests. Everyone enjoyed their food. The children's portions were enormous and handcut French fries were yummy! I ordered the special: Surf & Turf, which was steak tips done to perfection and two small crab cakes, along with mashed potatoes that were as good as my mother makes and tender, steamed broccoli. My son -in-law raved about his fish and chips, and he is fussy about fish. Food prices were very fair. The noise level was extremely high, so next time we plan to eat there (and we will), we'll ask to be seated in the back room, not the bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casual dinner before theaterSoxfan1Dined on 12/1/2013We went to this restaurant before the theater on a Sunday night. The food was adequate, but not spectacular. The menu was varied enough for a family of five with some different tastes. The service was efficient and that was important because we only had an hour before we had to head to the theater. So if you want a casual dinner and don't have a lot of time to relax and are not looking for a full dining experience I think this is a great place to visit. Even though we only had an hour we did not feel rushed. Everything came in a timely manner. The theme of the Irish pub was really nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok pub food.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/25/2013My family and I stopped in for dinner after arriving in Boston for vacation. The food was good, but not particularly memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/24/2013We were a group of six and they had us sitting next to the windows on an extremely cold and windy day which left us all needing to leave our coats on but they said they couldn't move us. Waiter was not terribly attentive nor friendly.
- Reliable and Reasonable.BawbVIPDined on 11/23/2013Prices were reasonable, food was great, service was a little slow but still good.Special Features:
- Warm and inviting atmosphereIrishatheartDined on 11/23/2013We picked this MJ's on line for our after theatre munchies. It was a great comfortable pick with excellent food served hot and the best chicken tenders I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt fun vibe for happy hourConferenceattendeeDined on 11/21/2013Great, fun, packed happy hour crowd at about 6 on a Thursday.Special Features:
- Nice bar, but not for dinnerbaconfreakDined on 11/2/2013Previous reviews of MJ O'Connors led me to believe that it would be a nice place for dinner before heading to a show at the Wilbur Theater. Unfortunately, the bar was very loud and it was almost impossible to have a conversation. The food was pretty good and I am sure it is a nice place for a drink, but I wouldn't recommend it for a meal.
- Food was just OK, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2013Food was just OK, but the service was horrible and slow
- Not simply an Irish PubMaatDined on 9/19/2013This place is great!!! Food is delicious, comparably to a first class restaurant!!! Prices are very affordable! Really reccomandedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We 4 wanted something IrishhmjcDined on 3/8/2013We 4 wanted something Irish before going to see an Irish play, and we got it. My shepherd's pie had beef rather than lamb, and probably too much of it, as opposed to vegetables, but how many guys are going to complain about that? The beef was good quality & the mashed potatoes were great. My wife was entirely pleased with her corned beef & cabbage. Our server, seeing that we wanted to talk (and that we are older), thoughtfully re-seated us a little further away from the bar.Special Features: