Mizuno Japanese Restaurant
1860 Laskin Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23454Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Mizuno Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mizunosushi.com/
- Phone: 7574221200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Wataru Mizuno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Bar and Lounge can be Private. Accommodates comfortably 25 people.
- Private Party Contact: Beverly Chen 7574221200
A word from Mizuno Japanese Restaurant
Mizuno Japanese Restaurant is a family-run business that first opened in 1996. Located in Virginia Beach, Mizuno is embedded in a seafood hotspot, only 25 miles south of the Eastern Shore of Virginia and the Chesapeake Bay, and 158 miles south of Hatteras, North Carolina. Chef-owner Wataru Mizuno feels blessed to be a sushi chef in a culinary trifecta like Virginia Beach. Mizuno and his team take advantage of the restaurant's access to local sources by artfully composing daily specials that feature fresh shrimp, yellowfin tuna, bluefin tuna, flounder, blue crabs and oysters, to name a few. The hook's simple. Mizuno resists complicated sauces and excessive ingredients. Instead, he flavors scallops from the world famous Chesapeake Bay, adding nothing more, at times, than a dash of citrus and a pinch of sea salt. Wataru Mizuno: Chef/Owner Born in Japan, Wataru Mizuno received his formal training in Tokyo, as an apprentice under master Teruo Sato.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mizuno Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (6)romantic (6)great for lunch (4)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great SushiSushilover35Dined on 9/26/2014For somebody who has eaten at several sushi restaurant from Seattle to NY, I can tell that this place is a good as it gets.Special Features:
- The best sushi!CgirlDined on 9/23/2014What a great spot! Atmosphere is really unique. Great, fresh sushi artistically presented. Good wine beer and drink selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingwillyp757Dined on 9/6/2014Great decor, service and atmosphere combined with some the best sushi in town! Can't wait to go back and try some different ones to see if I can find a new favorite!!Special Features:
- Still going strongsince2011VIPDined on 9/2/2014Pricey but still the best and freshest sushi in town. The creme brulee is to die for, and the new $30 prix fixe 3 course dinner menu is a good deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh sushi!BodieMooseDined on 8/23/2014My family of five dined at Mizuno last Saturday night. One of my favorite sushi meals - the toro was excellent!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Food is excellent, but a bit on the pricey side for sushi.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 29 reviews are from the Mizuno Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Get the 3 Course Pre-FixMayoplanVIPDined on 6/17/2014I had a business meeting at Mizuno's and we were treated very well. The service was great and so were the surroundings. The 3 course lunch/dinner is a very good value, $30. Try the new and improved Mizuno'sSpecial Features:
- Creative Menu CreationsJeffADined on 5/11/2014The recently added Oyster Lettuce Wraps (with delicious crispy greens, delicately fried oysters, special sauces and pickled onions) are the latest and greatest addition to the great list of appetizers being offered at Mizunos. The Tuna Tacos and Sashimi Salad have been our favorites forever! Wataru is the Master!Special Features:
- Great Sushi and AtmosphereAnneDined on 2/22/2014Mizuno is a great sushi restaurant with some of the best sushi in Virginia Beach. It is very expensive though. Enjoy but expect to pay for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fish in Hampton RoadsgoodeatzDined on 2/14/2014Any chance I get I come to Mizuno and I am never disappointed. The food is fresh, delicious, and often deceptively simple. I am from the Pacific Northwest and this restaurant is the only place I've found in Hampton Roads that serves such light and delicious Japanese cuisine.Special Features:
- Over pricedStelszaDined on 1/18/2014Had my first experience with Mizuno on a date this weekend. I couldn't get a reservation for 7; yet the restaurant was only half full for our 6:45 reservation until we left at 8:30. We sat for about 10 minutes until the bartender realized no one helped us and sent someone over. We were told they were out of uni and toro when we ordered. So we changed about half of our order, then They came back and told us they had uni, so we changed it again. We never got our seaweed salads. Ginger didn't come until we were almost done eating. The sticky rice wasn't too sticky and fell apart after a quick dip in soy sauce. Overall the food was very good, and they do offer some higher end items you can't find elsewhere. The service was poorSpecial Features:
- Restaurant weekDanLynneDined on 1/14/2014My husband and I dined here during restaurant week. He ordered off the special menu and I ordered sushimi from the regular menu. Both meals were very good and very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Excellence at its Finest!JeffADined on 1/4/2014Mizunos is Hampton Roads Best Sushi Restaurant . . . Period We have been a patron since opening. The new location is phenomenal with the atmosphere & expanded menu. Unlike many others, Mizuno's diverse menu has something for everyone, even sushi newbies & those that have not quite developed their palate. Walter, as we all fondly know him, continues to set the standard in both preparation & presentation, and his two assistants are both extremely capable as well. The entire team's dedication to ensuring you receive the finest dining experience is evident from the precisely set tables, to the never ending clean plates & ginger that arrive punctually. Everyone we have referred is amazed when they arrive and equally ecstatic when they finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food23454Dined on 10/12/2013Thoroughly enjoyed the Chef's Choice, as well as the vegetable roll and shrimp tempura roll. Our server, Sasha, was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Great find!Kaydee757VIPDined on 10/11/2013Looking for a last minute reservation we found Mizuno and were happily surprised. Everything was enjoyable, food, service and ambiance. Even with our 3 year old son. When making the reservation on Open Table I noted it was our anniversary yet neither the hostess nor our server mentioned it. That would have tipped the scale with regard to service and attentiveness to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fun hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2013This place is a great find in VA Beach. You certainly won't be disappointed with the energy, the food or especially the service. Josh treated us like a old friend he hadn't seen in years. Which was all very impressive. Of course it all became clear to us when the bill came so brace yourself. It was worth the money but it will keep me from coming back.Special Features:
- Best sushi in a 100-mile radiusOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/16/2013We've eaten sushi in many different cities, including NYC, DC, Miami, and others, and Mizuno is as good as some of the better establishments in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBerninniesDined on 8/14/2013The sushi is delicious and the menu has awesome names for their rolls, I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sushi in Hampton RoadsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2013If you love sushi, you must try Mizuno. You will find a higher price point here, but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese food on East Coast!MelBVIPDined on 7/16/2013Mizuno's is a wonderful addition to the food scene in Virginia Beach. It would be a wonderful addition in Atlanta, DC, Miami or New York as well. The seafood is so fresh, it barely came out of the water in time for your dinner. The sushi and sashimi are fabulous and the specials are always a fine choice too. This is a go-to restaurant when my husband and I want high-quality food in a chic and friendly environment (stylish and not stuffy - hard to pull off). Walt Mizuno is a fabulous chef and he is there every night leading a very talent team of culinarians. The service is terrific; servers seem genuinely pleased that you are there. Great sake and beer choices. I love Japanese food and I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SushiWillisDined on 5/14/2013Excellent sushi with rolls named after regulars and invented with creativity!!Special Features:
- Sushi on par with the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/4/2013Sushi on par with the best in Los Angeles or San Francisco. I recently had the summer roll which was a traditional style roll made with tilapia and avocado, but served in a soup bowl with a base of gazpacho - fantastic.Special Features:
- You'll Be Back!remligVIPDined on 3/16/2013Some of the best seafood rolls you'll ever find and wait til you try the sauce. Everything here is done fresh while you wait and it's all worth the wait. Our favorite Asian food! Our waiter was helpful and as good as they get.Special Features:
- An enjoyable experience.keyboardsDined on 3/16/2013An enjoyable experience. While nominally a sushi place, they have some dishes with a spin on them. I had the sunomono (thinly sliced octopus, hokki clam, & shrimp, with seaweed, cucumber and tosa vinaigrette) and quite liked it. I also had the New Style Chirashi. It was rather different from what I'd envisioned from the menu description (didn't really get the crispiness that was mentioned) but was tasty nonetheless. The other surprise in the dish was that the fish was cubed. Service was good. Ambiance was good. I'd go back again.Special Features:
- This place is very clean andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013This place is very clean and modern looking. The food was excellent. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- This is the best JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/28/2013This is the best Japanese restaurant we have tried in Tidewater. Fun new decor, and the Sushi bar is a blast to watch.Special Features:
- Great food, long in coming.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2012Food was really good, but it took a long time to get there. Service was great otherwise.Special Features:
- The freshest sushi in town!jcirdhVIPDined on 12/6/2012The freshest sushi in town! I'm so glad they have toro!Special Features:
- Best of Virginia Beach RestaurantjudyDined on 11/19/2012First time to actually sit in the restaurant as we always order Take out. For starters, Josh our waiter was very attentive and quick. Our food was beautifully presented and was delicious as well. I will definitely recommend this Restaurant to my friends.Special Features:
- This is hands down the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012This is hands down the best sushi in town. The rolls are unique, creative, and expertly executed.Special Features:
- Mike the owner was stoppedskinneemonkeyVIPDined on 7/28/2012Mike the owner was stopped by the table to personally check on us - very nice touch.Special Features:
- I have been going to Mizunosince2011VIPDined on 7/5/2012I have been going to Mizuno since it opened, and the fish is always impeccably fresh, on a par with the best sushi in NYC. So glad that they have moved into a bigger space and are open for lunch again most weekdays!Special Features:
- OK.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2012Used to like this restaurant more. This was the first time we have been here since they have moved. Food didn't seem as good and the prices seemed high for what you get not being the very best. Maybe it was an off night? We have never gotten a warm feeling at this establishment either.
- The most consistent restaurantHappyDined on 6/2/2012The most consistent restaurant in the area. The owner prepares or approves every dish. Walter says "thank you"....Special Features:
- Good, but not great. Blind serviceMikePVIPDined on 4/25/2012We went here based on other reviews. However, we were sadly disappointed. Flavors were good, but not what's expected of a top rated sushi restaurant. We've had much better and slightly lower pricing in many other cities. Service was a total disappointment. Over an hour to receive our sushi; no apologies from the staff. Forty minutes in, we were told it was coming right away, and still waited another 20 minutes; We saw many tables come after us, and leave before us. While we can understand that mistakes can happen, there's no excuse for management not speaking with us. Never rated a restaurant this low before.