MIZU Sushi Bar & Grill
1035 S. Winchester Blvd
San Jose, CA 95128Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
MIZU Sushi Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mizusj.com/
- Phone: (408) 260-7200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Korean, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Chef Matsubara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer catering for personal and professional events ranging from 25 to 500 guests.
- Entertainment: Piano and Guitar on the weekends.
A word from MIZU Sushi Bar & Grill
Sushi Bar and Grill with a fusion menu including Korean BBQ. Full bar and Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MIZU Sushi Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (25)neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (15)hot spot (13)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- My favorite neighborhood place for lunchNormanDianaDined on 11/21/2014We have been to Mizu several times and enjoyed our meal. So, when my son and his significant other came to visit Mizu was an easy choice. They are both from NY and very knowledgeable about Japanese food. They shared our view that the food is excellent. The servers are gracious as well as friendly. Love it and we will keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014Probably the best sushi restaurant in the San Jose area. The number of different rolls and specialty dishes are impressive, and all are well prepared and plated. Their sushi is extremely fresh and the selection is more than adequate.Special Features:
- Great food!DelightfulDined on 10/7/2014This is my second time at Mizu. The first time was for my sister's birthday and we were all amazed by the food, not to mention the drinks. I took my mom there this past Tuesday for her birthday, her choice of course. They have such a wide variety of sushi rolls to choose from. We ordered the Yami Yami Roll and Albacore Delight Roll. Both had a nice presentation and were do delicious!! For drinks, Mom ordered the Dragontini and I the Eastern Kiss. Both very, very good! I would highly recommend this venue for a first date, group or family dinner. I also love they have three or four large flat screen TVs so we were able to catch the Giants game. :)Special Features:
- Food -- OK, service -- a bit slowfamilydinersDined on 10/4/2014Sushi & sashimi were good in term of freshness, too much rice on sushi, a bit lack of favor on the toro sushi (we had better). We tried an appetizer of cajun tuna -- didn't like it, too much sauce, too sweet, not spicy. They put sesame oil on edamames which made it too oily and slippery to eat -- not interested. Service was a bit iffy due to Saturday night crowd, took a long time to get server's attention. I had better service during lunch. Overall, it's just OK. Probably a good lunch place if I'm in the neighborhood, but won't make a trip to here for dinner.Special Features:
- Fresh, Great Appies, Huge SelectionRitzDined on 9/23/2014I have been here twice. Free miso to start is a plus! For starters I've ordered the Spicy Cajun Sashimi and the tuna tartar both are great! Roasted garlic and jalapenos on the Sashimi sounds odd but it was a fantastic dish! we ordered the sushi/sashimi house boat, the rolls were great the sashimi was cut is nice thick slices. for $35/person is a good value for the variety of sashimi. Some of the rolls I ordered previously were too heavy with the combo of tempura ingredients and mayo so be be careful what specialty rolls you order. Overall, great good, good service. I will be back.Special Features:
- Loud PlaceColeeVIPDined on 9/21/2014This place is Busy but the noise level is extreme, you can't carry a conversation in there
- BellagioVIPDined on 9/20/2014Extensive sushi menu different from most sushi places. Fun, fanciful creations. Regular menu items are standard items with the addition of a few Korean dishes.
- Great Service and Yummy Food!jlcjohnsonVIPDined on 9/14/2014This was our first visit back since our family recently had to change to a gluten-free diet. We weren't sure if we would be able to enjoy it the same as before, but thought we would try. Our server, Jaden, was fantastic! He was super friendly and helpful to ensure our family had safe, yet delicious options. We bought an appetizer and several rolls, and modified them when necessary. All were worth getting again. Thank you, Jaden!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014The food is always delicious, but not sure if MSG is used or not. My family was extremely sleepy afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good....but......Agent21Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I dined there recently, service was great, place is very lively, drinks are great. I had the Sushi dinner and my Wife the Chirashi dinner, the portions of the fish were HUGE, I am more used to the portions being somewhat smaller, I think the taste is better that way, we also felt that maybe the restaurant makes these dinners in advance as they tasted old and dry, probably would have been good to sit at the sushi bar to watch them make your order. Make sure you get a reservation if you want to get a booth, place is always packed!Special Features:
- whythechangefair2reasonableDined on 8/24/2014The most recent visit - the whole experience is changing. The serving of food was not coordinated very well - some entrees were served early, while others had to wait more than awhile for their entrees. The delivery of entrees was just short of being tossed onto the table, we felt rushed. Quality of food, some entrees were good while other entrees suffered from presentation to taste. Will we return - questionable.Special Features:
- Always freshcmawDined on 8/23/2014Have been here several times. The fish is always very fresh tasting. Really big pieces of sashimi satisfy my appetite without the rice bloat. Food, even sushi (nigiri style) comes quickly, which is often not the case at other restaurants. An abundance of rolls, salads, appetizers and entrees from which to choose as well. The prices reflect the quality of the food, so higher than many, though in my experience also not over the top. Will be back again and again.Special Features:
- My go-to for Japanese FoodSunnyvaleMomDined on 8/22/2014We came here for our anniversary dinner. One of our party was a disabled senior. It was nice that they seated us immediately and very close to the front entrance. We have been here before so we know that the food and service are consistently very good.The presentation is simple but nice. My favorite is the Miso Black Cod (also called misoyaki butterfish) and I have it here everytime. Its better than Roy's in SF!!! Portions are good and no one was left hungry. In fact, they were all full and we had to pass on dessert! We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Wonderful!! Go there tonight!FOODYFAMILYDined on 8/22/2014I just love Mizu so much! We were there for a celebration with our family (7 people--including one little 4-year-old girl). We were seated in a booth big enough for all of us, just as we had requested. We were seated a few minutes after 5:00 (as the other patrons were lined up ahead of us before they opened). From start to finish, it was perfect and the foot (including a sushi boat) was so delicious! A perfect dining place for a very special occasion for our entire family! Everybody ate too much...It was that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food always greatBrianVIPDined on 8/17/2014Service not always great. New waiters either overburdened or just plain slow. Even on a Sunday night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 276 reviews are from the MIZU Sushi Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Great Staff and Food <3EnshuDined on 7/21/2014Both the staff and food here were pretty great. Our server Jira (Jirawan?) helped me introduce my friend to trying sushi by telling us some of her personal stories and then gave recommendations. He ended up liking sushi. Yay! We ordered the Red Dragon, Yami Yami, and Unagi Lover. Each tasted amazing, had their own textures, and had colorful presentations. Thanks again to Jira for converting my friend =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2014Food is great, probably one of the better sushi places I have but horrible service. I have been here several times and service 95% has been so slow.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in the AreaOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/1/2014This is by far the best sushi in the South Bay! Try the Sunkissed Roll - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- YummyPickyeaterDined on 6/15/2014The food was delicious as usual. Good variety since my husband loves sushi and I don't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiMsMommyVVIPDined on 6/11/2014Food is always great! I travel all the way from Fremont to get sushi from Mizu. Next time I will leave the 1 year old at home- they weren't quick at all this time. Waitress would disappear and all we wanted to do was pay and leave before the little one got fussy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.RicBar83VIPDined on 6/10/2014Staff is really friendly and service is very prompt. Definitely would recommend and visit again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family favoriteSistachefDined on 5/31/2014My folks live around the corner from Mizu and we try and plan fun and celebratory dinners there, it's easy for them to meet us and we all love the food!Special Features:
- Good food/Bad servicemalshomeDined on 5/25/2014I'm not sure if I have ever been to a restaurant with such good food and such terrible service. We have been there several times on a regular basis and consistently have terrible service. With reservations, without reservations it is consistent. Every night of the week, same thing. Good food, horrible service this is the norm. Guess what... I will go back for the food, but someone needs to train these servers how to be servers. PLEASE!!!!
- The best sushi you will ever have!2sushiloversDined on 5/23/2014Me and my husband discovered this place one night when we were in Santana Row. We wanted to eat Sushi but not Blow Fish. We yelped and found this place. We tried it and got addicted; the sushi was amazing! We ordered in several visits and our favorites are the yami yami roll, super spider roll, salmon sashimi, honey moon special, alaska roll, the crunchy California roll (that's not its name but ask them for it), the butterfly roll and they are all so amazing and in huge portions. Get ready to be served some delicious hot miso soup on the house. Make sure you have reservations unless you want to have sushi at the bar and always make sure you order the honey moon special during your first visit. We love you Mizu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So worth the long drive !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014We had an excellent meal with friends to celebrate a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food...Service SlowRheceDined on 5/10/2014We went here for a friend's birthday. The service was slow and our food was given to another table. The staff eventually figured it out but we waited for over 20 minutes for the dish. A little disappointing but we got over it. Otherwise, the ambience was great.Special Features:
- HilobraDined on 5/3/2014Food and ambience was very good!!! We enjoyed the shioyaki sakana dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best rolls in San JoseTWeaverVIPDined on 5/2/2014I'm a repeat customer to Mizu. The quantity and quality on the rolls is the reason for my return. Have eaten at other sushi place with friends; but, haven't found any that compare.
- Just a restaurantChirxDined on 4/27/2014we has popcorn shrimp, hot mango roll, soft shell crab & salmon sasahimi the popcorn shrimp is bad, I can get one in Popeye much better than MIZU 10x salmon sasahimi no fish flavor hot mango roll is good soft shell crab is surprisingSpecial Features:
- Yummy sushi time! Hurry up and go:(RecyclaDined on 4/27/2014This place has decent sushi, large portions, and a great atmosphere. There are large TV's to watch sports and big comfy booths for smaller parties. It gets very busy but staff is usually pretty attentive. However, I didn't give service 5 stars because our waiter was very rushed while taking our order and tried to leave the table before 2 of our guests had even ordered. Once our food was on the table, we were eating for about 10 minutes and we were not close to finishing but our waiter asked if we needed boxes. We felt he was rushing us to leave. Then once he dropped our check it took us flagging him down to run our cards. I understand that it's difficult to be so busy and get perfect service, but being rushed was noticeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrificdevinedine1VIPDined on 4/22/2014Love to introduce friends to Mizu. Always a hit and "spot on"!Special Features:
- Diner3VIPDined on 4/18/2014Service was slow. Server never asked for a drink order - set water down and left it at that. Missed out on wine sales. Sushi was good but nothing special. The location was convenient. We were visiting from out of town.Special Features:
- good eating...manzanitaDined on 4/8/2014Came by for a quick bite to eat w a friend, afterwork on tues evening. Between the 2 of us we had dragon sushi, sashimi platter, raw shrimp sushi w fried shrimp heads --- there was nothing left on the plates aftetward! (well may be just the shreded white radish was left behind). To cap the night off we ordered ice cream.We were happy - our tummy was happy... We had good experience and plan to come back. Overall: Attentive service. Good food /portion. Relaxed atmosphere. Easy to find and good parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014My favorite roll is the yami yami with cream cheese. Never go wrong with it. What i like about this place is that the food looks exactly like the pictures. I come here as often as I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fair service.radiojunkeeDined on 3/29/2014First time to go to this restaurant. We heard about the great reviews so we decided to try it. The place was packed, very energetic, but the service was really slow. But since we met with some old friends, we didn't really notice how slow it was because we had a lot to talk about. But if it were to be just us and our kids, we would definitely notice. Our reservation was at 5:45pm and we did not walk out until 9pm. We had oysters, the crazy rock and roll, some raw fish, and don't remember the rest. Everything tasted great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was very good andBellagioVIPDined on 3/27/2014Service was very good and food was delicious! Lack of customer service. After we arrived 5 minutes early, they cancelled our Open Table reservation. Not knowing this until a few days later when I read an e-mail from Open Table saying reservation was cancelled, I called the restaurant only to get a big run around. After 4 phone calls and speaking to 3 different people, I was told the restaurant would give me credit for my reservation even though we were 45 minutes late! What? I spoke loudly and clearly to the last person I spoke to and explained that we were not late and that we had purchased 2 appetizers and 5 entrees. Rather than apologize, the person gave me attitude and acted like she was doing me a favor by giving me the 100 points!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Sushi restaurant with extensive menu. Will be back to try more.Special Features:
- Can't get fresher than this...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/24/2014Every time I go to Mizu (and last week it was twice) I am consistently amazed at how fresh the sushi is. It may seem to be the touristy thing to do but my son and I got the sushi boat. Wow it was just great! I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner but not specialBarbJDined on 3/23/2014Food was good, but not outstanding. Presentation was very nice. Price was rather high, but seems like more for ambiance and the wow factor on the large number of different rolls, not because of the food itself. Quality of the food was good, but the combinations of several rolls were kind of odd, things that really didn't go together. My adult kids (20's) like it as it's hip and trendy, but I've been to smaller, less "impressive" sushi places that were much better. Seems like it caters to folks who don't like or are afraid to try raw food. Sashimi choices were just OK. Drinks were very good, however. Quite strong and delicious. Good variety of Sake. Nice for sushi beginners I guess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/4/2014Great food,, great variety (within Asian cuisine) . Good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.