Miyako Japanese Restaurant
2863 Kalakaua Ave
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Miyako Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kaimana.com/dining/miyako.html
- Phone: (808) 921-7077
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Closed on Tuesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Shintaro Kuwabara
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have three Tatami Rooms with the traditional style of seating; each can accommodate 6-8 guests. The rooms can be joined for a total seating of 24 guests. Room rental applies.
We also offer The Imperial Ballroom, with the Western style of seating and was designed from Kyoto's Nijo Castle. It can seat 100 guests or be partitioned for smaller parties of 8 - 20 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Misa Watanabe 8089217077x
A word from Miyako Japanese Restaurant
Japanese Restaurant offering a wide array of authentic Japanese Cuisine. Located on the second floor of the beach front New Otani Hotel, guests may choose between a Western style seating, outdoor lanai, or tatami style rooms, all featuring panoramic views overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Waikiki Beach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Miyako Japanese Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Miyako Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (25)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (12)great for outdoor dining (11)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- CorkyBitsyDined on 11/6/2014Go at 5:30. Request a cabaña in advance. (There are only 3.) watch the sunset. (It looked like there were more ocean front tables in the main part of Miyako as well. Be prepared for authentic Japanese food. The wait staff was Japanese and wearing authentic, beautiful kimonos. Very romantic setting and also great for a small group. Choice of pre set dinner selection is nice. We went prior to Viewing A Japanese film at the HIFF film festival. All comprised a lifetime memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and wonderful dishesAloha1Dined on 11/1/2014Thank you very much we had wonderful wonderful morments I wanna be back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kaiseki on the beach at sunsetdrk008Dined on 10/26/2014known for wonderful kaiseki, Miyako serves creative, seasonal, tasty Japanese formal cuisine with excellent sake accompaniment and exceptional service. price is reasonable for what one gets and the location is priceless. happy 50th birthday Kaimana Hotel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Nicest people ever, very easy to schedule changes, so friendly, food was special, exoticSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Should use formal chopstick instead of desposable. Skyyakee soup too saltySpecial Features:
- Authentic JapaneseINvacationDined on 10/6/2014This is a very quaint restaurant that is truly very authentic to Japanese dining. From the food to the waitressses you feel you have gone to Japan. The view is outstanding. We tried this restaurant as we were staying at the hotel, but we are not really big fans of Japanese food.Special Features:
- anniversary prix fixeSSYAVIPDined on 10/1/2014we were lucky enough to come by during the offering of their anniversary prix fixe menu. wow! what a great deal & experience. i think the most impressive was the mini ponzu sukiyaki. not only the flavor was great but the cool pot on the stone fire holder was amazing! for the non-raw eaters, the Mai set menu on their regular menu was delicious as well as the agedashi tofu appetizer. Pearl was a wonderful server & i was impressed that they all knew the other diners on a personal level. great service!!Special Features:
- Spectacular SunsetsRockyDined on 9/5/2014Exceptional Japanese cuisine with a great view. The Cabana was a fantastic outdoor seating with a spectacular sunset. Service is traditional Japanese...wonderful.Special Features:
- ambianceyumyumDined on 8/28/2014Was wonderful as usual. However, a group of 4 persons entered the dining room as we were almost finished. Unfortunately they must have been hard of hearing as they had to speak in very loud voices. The group of four made more noise with their normal conversation than the rest of all of the patrons combined. Guess they wanted all to hear what they were talking about. Otherwise, it was as usual a very enjoyable evening for our 58th wedding anniversary. We have been having our special occaision dinners there for at least the past 35 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love coming here....OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/14/2014The food is very good and the view of Waikiki and a sunset are breath-taking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience Not Equal to the FoodfoodfunluvrVIPDined on 8/10/2014While the menu and food is delicious, there is no ambience. The lighting is harsh, the decor looks cheap, and there is no effort to integrate the stunning view of the Pacific Ocean. The restaurant is like a brightly lit closed box with no elegance, background music or inviting touches. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- Another great mealTHamVIPDined on 8/10/2014Kaiseki is consistently very good. Sunset view also never disappointsSpecial Features:
- excellent on all countsskb123Dined on 7/31/2014Miyako is an excellent Japanese restaurant, catering in large part to Japanese visitors to our island. It features a wide and varied menu of Japanese dishes which are well prepared ad delightfully presented. The seaside location and view are superb. The kimona- clad wait staff were attentive, friendly, and very helpful. This restaurant is now a personal favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 118 reviews are from the Miyako Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Don't go as a one and onlyFrenchbreadVIPDined on 7/28/2014Well, I had very high hopes for this restaurant but from the moment I walked in something felt off. I thought I had read that to be seated outside, ask for the cabanas upon checking in with host. I was brought to the empty dining room, a middle table, and asked - "do you have outside dining?" The host looked to my waitress and the waitress stated that it was sold out. I asked if I could just take a peek to see what it looked like, and the gentlemen said yes. Empty. Sold out? There seemed to be a language barrier, but my money is on they didn't want to waste the outdoor dining on me. When I left almost 2 hrs later, there were still empty tables outside. Empties, squeezed limes, stirrers, chopstick paper were never cleared from m table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlohahondaDined on 7/18/2014No other place is as great for food, family, and Friday night fireworks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great ExperienceTHamVIPDined on 7/6/2014The Kaiseki is a must try although the set meals also offer a great value. Great view and service plus 1,000 point tables. Can't go wrongSpecial Features:
- A well kept secretdiner15VIPDined on 7/6/2014Although we are kama`aina and have ventured to the restaurant on the first floor of the New Otani Hotel many times, we were totally unaware that Miyako existed until we were scanning the Open Table website. It was a fantastic find--all the prior reviews commenting on the remarkable (and reasonably-priced) food, service, and views are absolutely on point. If you like Japanese food, this restaurant is a must-visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyCandiedshellVIPDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I very much enjoyed our meal. The view was beautiful and Pearl was lovely. As we had the Keisaki, she took the time to describe each dish beautifully. We are so happy to have found a great place to dine right next door to our condo!Special Features:
- Watching sunset with dinnerHowardHalmVIPDined on 6/9/2014Request cabana--only three. Series of little delicacies.Special Features:
- Saki samplerNamiesfindDined on 5/11/2014The restaurant was very well staffed we had the Mother's Day prefix fixed dinner it was afour course meal filled with ample sushi and sashimi japanese waygu steak very tender and succulent. Try the saki sampler very sweet and tasty?Special Features:
- great food and excellent serviceHulaGirlDined on 4/28/2014I made these reservations at the request of my business client. We had a traditional prixe fixe Japanese dinner. It was displayed meticulously as expected and all of it was very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!crc1150Dined on 4/18/2014Restaurant is located on the second floor of an older hotel. Not impressed upon arriving, but once inside we realized we'd made a good choice. View is outstanding. Make your reservation for time around sunset. You won't be disappointed. Food was very good and very authentic. Highly recommend the butterfish. Service was excellent. Very friendly and helpful. Definitely a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice restaurant withKbarDined on 4/11/2014A very nice restaurant with outstanding views of sunset. We had lobster tempura not bad, but they are known for butterfish. Service was very good. Overall I would recommend and return again myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timeSSYAVIPDined on 4/4/2014This was our first time trying Miyako & we were excited to get a 1000 OT points also. The food was good, the service was outstanding & we loved Michelle. She was personable & helpful. The view was awesome! Thru Yelp, they have a birthday discount & a kamaaina discount, but I'm unsure when that ends. We were also offered an early bird menu. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Scenic ViewMasaDined on 3/30/2014This restaurant has one of the best scenic view of Waikiki. My out-of-town guests enjoy the view, especially at sunset.Special Features:
- George KGeorgeKDined on 3/14/2014Excellent. Romantic Scenic View Restaurant with amazing food and service. Will go again on next trip to Honolulu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The alternative to the main WaikikiFoodrUsDined on 3/13/2014Great Japanese cuisine on the east end of Waikiki. The food, service and pricing are excellent. We had the miso butterfish, the serving was very generous. They have an "early bird" special if you order by 6pm on weekdays. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- March KaisekipingonDined on 3/10/2014We ate there several times, and we always order the monthly Kaiseki. For some reason, the March Kaiseki was not as good as usual. The Yakimono not great, Mushimono taste ok, and the Shokuji, rice to hard, and not too much crab meat. I hope they improve in their April Kaiseki.Special Features:
- For Fireworks, this is itAnneToinetteVIPDined on 3/9/2014Definitely this is the best fireworks view restaurant for a Japanese food lover. My guests were so happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 楽しい時間をありがとう。yma36Dined on 3/6/2014今回で4回目のハワイ。子どもと初めて来ましたので食事が不安でしたが、良いスタッフで楽しく、美味しい食事ができて感謝します。 次回も必ず予約をし、食事をしたいと思います。 また行けることを楽しみにしています。Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset meal a good valueDaBeanDined on 3/6/2014This restaurant is great for its views and the sunset menu is a value based on very high Waikiki prices. Hotel is a little tired and could use a face lift but the service was very good and attentive.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerTwinzx2Dined on 3/2/2014Brought my husband here to celebrate his birthday. First time for both of us, although we're kamaainas. Because of the rain, we couldn't sit under the cabanas, but was given a nice table right next to the window. Would have been a great view with blue ocean and beautiful sunset had it not been for the rain. The waitresses were great, always filling our water and checking on how we were doing. The food was delicious and well prepared. Will definitely be coming back for my birthday as they do give a 20% discount for the birthday guest, which you can use within a week of your birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come hungrybluecheeseVIPDined on 2/28/2014Wine/bar selection is 3 star. The bar on the first floor has a much wider selection of wines and spirits. The food is 4 star. The portions sizes are unbelievable. My wife had the steak don and it included 4-5 oz of very tender steak, poached egg and roasted onions atop of at least a 1.5 cups of rice. Plus they include tempura including 3 shrimp and an assortment of tempura veggies. My misoyaki butterfish is ala carte and must have been 3/4 lb of fish. The Fried chicken appetizer was flavorable and also a large order. Service was 5 star. A charming waitress with great honest suggestions. She warned me the butterfish was huge and she was right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagicalHonoluluLocalDined on 2/20/2014Perfect birthday-reunion dinner at a cabana table. Beautiful sunset with the beach and ocean. February kaiseki special dinner was fabulous. Wonderful, attentive, understated service. Cold beer. No rush. WOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Japanese food presented50thstateislandboyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Excellent Japanese food presented in a quiet surrounding overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Waikiki. Food is served Kaiseiki style and portions are generous. Highly recommend Miyako restaurant for a special night out.Special Features:
- superb sukiyakidiningoutDined on 2/13/2014a beautiful view up the Waikiki shoreline with fireworks going off in the distance was a great setting for my first trip to Miyako Restaurant. The setting was indoors, quiet, bright and asian-style. The service from our waitress who has been there 20+ years was efficient, pleasant, knowledgeable, and not overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueTHamVIPDined on 2/1/2014Great value for traditional Japanese food. Nice view of Waikiki without the crowds and inflated resort prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small restaurant but certainsalsawomanDined on 1/17/2014Small restaurant but certain tables have fabulous views of Waikiki. Authentic Japanese food. Delicious but a little pricey. There's 3 or 4 cabanas outside on the lanai for private dining. Also big room for parties. Will definitely go back again. Service was okay because they were busy.Special Features:
- Food flavors were great, portionsdm5414Dined on 12/14/2013Food flavors were great, portions were good.I did not leave feeling still hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty Japanese foodLexusDined on 12/8/2013I always like to order the Miyako dinners - especially the one with sashimi, shrimp tempura, and miso butterfish. It comes with an excellent agedashi tofu, clear soup, and some other small pickled vegetable dishes. If you are local, ask for the rice early else it comes last. On the other hand, you won't have room if you eat the rice - way too much food for one person at $47 for the full meal. Dessert is green tea ice cream or lychee sherbet - all very good. This is my third time there, I would return again. If it is your birthday, show your ID and you will get 20% off of your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.