5 Water Street
Wilmington, NC 28401Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 9103994501
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Every Day: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a standard catering menu. They menu can be adjusted to fit your needs.
- Entertainment: Salsa Dancing, Thursdays from 9pm-12midnight
Live Music with Paco Strickland and friends, currently featuring The Tiki Torch Trio Fridays from 6:30pm thru 9:30pm.
A word from Mixto
Contemporary Latin cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mixto reviews from OpenTable diners
- Second time was disappointingilovefoodDined on 10/5/2013So far I've ate twice at this restaurant. First time it was fairly busy, so we sat at the bar and had a couple drinks. We got seats fairly quickly and although it was packed that night, service was fairly quick, accurate, and overall top notch. Second time I went service was poor. Multiple drink and food orders were incorrect and very slow even though there was very few people there since it was at the tail end of dinner. I don't know who was responsible for the lack of attention, but either way it was disappointing. I would guess the last time was a fluke and do plan to eat there again. Hopefully the third time will make up for the second.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a very nice dinner thereKyFriedVIPDined on 8/13/2013Had a very nice dinner there during our beach vacation week. Would definitely go again. Very reasonable pricing. Very good overall experience.Special Features:
- great spot gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2013This used to be one of my fav spots. This meal and overall experience was terrible. First: no air conditioning in 90 degree heat (and no apologies for this), second: slow service, third: we were told there were no avacados for guacamole but WERE avacados for the other dishes, fourth: ordered dishes specifically for the avocado they said was present and there were NONE in the dish. The only redeeming quality was the drink menu and prep. I believe the chef has changed several times at this spot and I am no longer a fan.
- Food was so-so, restaurant was HOTOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2013The food was ok, nothing to write home about, though. They were befuddled as to we're to place us because we had a stroller, and tried to offer us a highchair instead for my baby, who was obviously too small for one. They also didn't have a changing table, so we had to change him on a bench meant for waiting customers. Awkward. The restaurant was also ROASTING hot, and we sped through our meal to get out of there. Not nearly as pleasant as my previous visits there.. Probably won't go again. Sad.
- Food great- service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2013Everything we ordered was great, especially the tuna tacos! The server was lacking, the restaurant was way too hot, had to ask for the ceiling fans to be turned on - everyone at our table was 'glistening' with sweat due to the heat. Looking around, others were the same. Service was extremely slow. Server took a drink order from our cute single at the table and completely ignored the rest of us until he brought her drink back. With that said, the food was good enough I would try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2013Food I am afraid is mediocre; rest is unchanged. Drinks, bar good.
- Horrible Service!DisatisfiedVIPDined on 7/6/2013First off, they did not have my open table reservation in their system. They acted like they didn't care at all about my reservation. The hostess was rude AND the manager. They sat us in the corner where they stack the chairs. It was horrible and I have never been treated so badly.Special Features:
- Great authentic latin spot.jmann77Dined on 7/4/2013Great authentic latin spot. Food was really good. Guacamole and cheese dip were really good. I had the beer braised pork, it was incredible. The seafood paella looked amazing. The atmosphere of thIs place is really cool, lots of dia de muerta decor all around, gives it a unique look inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TIme VisitDavid68VIPDined on 6/18/2013One of the places we like to visit is Wilmington NC. We were looking for a place to eat dinner and found Mixto on OpenTable. It had good reviews and as we were walking by we stopped in to look at the menu. We like what we saw so we went there for dinner. We shared the Caesar Salad. It was unigue and delicious. As we wanted to try some of the small plates we had the Gambas and Calle Calamari. Both were outstanding. The only thing missing was they don't offer desserts. But then you can get ice cream up the street at Kilwin's.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2013Complete lack of training for wait staff; even those who had been there for a year or more were clueless.Special Features:
- Mixto a somewhat mixed bagOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2013Took a group of ~20 to a graduation celebration dinner. Despite having had personal conversations with folks about how I'd like seating arranged, arrived to find a long table set up in the center back of the room under dripping condensation from the ducts above. Thankfully, the configuration I had requested was quickly set up. The server could have been a bit more attentive. The shrimp dish was VERY spicy and came with few fixings to ameliorate the heat. The chile relleno was beany with very little cheese (?). The duck dish, on the otherhand, was DELISH. Would return here because it is centrally located downtown, very near the Riverwalk, and had great live music, which really added positively to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SonniOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013This was my second trip to Mixto. It is now a must on any trip to Wilmington. Our service was much slower this time but the food and drinks made up for it. Can't wait to go back & celebrate my birthday with a prickly pear mojito!Special Features:
- Nice place and food was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2013Nice place and food was very good. However, our waitress seemed a little less than attentive as she was waiting on tables inside and outside as well. She did not have a very pleasant attitude since whenever we asked for anything she acted like we were being a bother. We did notice some other wait staff around us that appeared to be much more pleasant! Hopefully we'll have one of them wait on us next time. Yes, there will be a next time!Special Features:
- Everytime I visit Wilmington,kdrtoonaVIPDined on 2/17/2013Everytime I visit Wilmington, I make sure to visit Mixto. Mixto has an innovative twist on Mexican food. Its selections are bursting with flavor, the service is always friendly and spectacular and the atmosphere is vibrant and fun. If you like good food you must try Mixto.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/16/2013The food was fantastic and the service very quick, Mixto is a great place to have a quick snack or full meal. The only minor complaint was it was fairly chilly inside that night, likely due to the brick walls and cold weather outside.Special Features:
- An affordable pleasure!Buffyb410Dined on 2/1/2013Terrific and affordable menu. Consistent quality. Attentive service. LIve music was entertaining but not excessively loud. A pleasure to dine there.Special Features:
- Experience, not just a place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2013I came for the first time on my sister's recommendation (she LOVES Mixto). It was the perfect place for me to celebrate my birthday with some girl friends and I will definitely be coming back soon! The house margaritas are delicious, the menu items fun and tasty. I really enjoyed the layout and feel of the restaurant. In my sister's words "it's a complete experience, not just somewhere to go eat." The Mariachi band added greatly to the fun of the night and the basic restaurant standards seemed very high. Thank you so much and I cannot wait to come back!Special Features:
- good sttuff especially onOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/7/2012good sttuff especially on Wednesday nights for Drink and dinner specialsSpecial Features:
- Salsa was fresh and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2012Salsa was fresh and delicious and the chicken burrito was amazing.
- Not overly impressive. FirstGregVIPDined on 9/21/2012Not overly impressive. First time to Mixto, the online menu we found seemed more interesting then the menu we actually had to choose from, current menu seemed a little dumbed down. Food was ok, service was good but I expected a bit more.
- We've wanted to try this restaurantMaryDined on 9/8/2012We've wanted to try this restaurant for awhile now and finally met out of town family there for a great, casual dinner. The waiter was terrific, friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. Can't wait to return to try other dishes.Special Features:
- The food was okay but notOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2012The food was okay but not great. Perhaps it was the items ordered that night. We were in the mood for something a bit nicer. An sur conditioner over our table dripped on a member of our party.Special Features:
- A lovely surpriseBuffyb410Dined on 8/25/2012A lovely surprise. We ordered the two specials Serrano wrapped boneless, heritage chicken thighs with poached apples and grits AND duck confit, beets, golden raisins, bib lettuce, and feta cheese with citrus vinaigrette. Both dishes were beautifully presented and a wonderful blend of flavors. Service was attentive. With two entrees and two margaritas, our bill was just under $50.00. What a deal. My only complaint was that the boneless thighs still had several little pieces of bone. Outdoor dining was absolutely perfect. Music from inside was festive yet unobtrusive. We'll be back for certain.Special Features:
- Love this place, been thereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2012Love this place, been there twice and had a great time both times. I would recommend the seasonal fruit mojito w/ strawberries, the chile relleno, or the specialty tacos. Try it out!Special Features:
- Lobster and shrimp tacos areOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2012Lobster and shrimp tacos are great. Try the special sauce!Special Features:
- Great deal!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2012Great prices and good food. Guacamole was fresh and delicious. The two of us had a really nice dinner for $32.Special Features:
- Terrible service. WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2012Terrible service. Waitress wouldn't refill water, chips and salsa, or take our order until we got out of our seats and tracked her down.Special Features:
- Definitely worth a return visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2012Service and food were great. The only negative was that we were seated right next to the entrance/bar area, so it was a bit noisy. It was a full house and we did not request to be moved, so no actual complaint. It is definitely on both our and our guest's list of places to which we will return.Special Features:
- Fun dinner night out option!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2012They have specials every night of the week, had the rock lobster which was very good and the margaritas are perfection! Love it, always go there for a fun and affordable night with the girls!Special Features:
- The food was really good,AmazingVIPDined on 6/29/2012The food was really good, aside from the rice and beans.Special Features:
- Mixto is always a great option.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012Mixto is always a great option. We eat here very often and recommend it to anybody.Special Features:
- The tacos at Mixto are incredible!BrosephRosephDined on 5/4/2012The tacos at Mixto are incredible! Mix and match a set of tacos and you will not be disappointed. Service is quick and attentive and the food and drinks are phenomenal. There's even a fun ghost story about the restaurant, too! Can't think of anything bad about Mixto. I'll definitely return if I'm ever in Wilmington again.Special Features:
- Poor food fair-ok servicedinesalotVIPDined on 4/29/2012The service was ok, not helpful when I ask questions about the food. The guacamole was old and brownish, my food was over cooked and greasy, Very disappointing experience. With so many restaurants downtown I feel we wasted our meal here. Too bad because they have a great patio.
- Best Margarita's and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2012Best Margarita's and the food is Latin without being the same old Mexican fair.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2012The food here is inconsistant. On this last visit it was only 'good'. The freezer that keeps their ice cream was broken, the server was not made aware and offered us an unavailable dessert. (which, of course, we wanted). I would not run back here, but if I am in the neighborhood, I might eat lunch as the food is priced right.Special Features:
- Mixto is a personal favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2012Mixto is a personal favorite that has yet to disappoint.Special Features:
- small portions for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2012small portions for the price of the entrees. And food was over cooked.Special Features:
- Good food but not consistent,PigfishlaneDined on 2/10/2012Good food but not consistent, have eaten here about 6 times, mostly lunch and twice at night. Nice atmosphere and location and the food is freshly prepared.Special Features:
- Highly recommend!NCGoodEatsDined on 1/27/2012Overall great food, loved the live music (went on a Friday night) and appreciated that the restaurant was flexible in allowing us to extend our reservation by thirty minutes. We were a large group of six and had a nice semi-private space. Service was very good, friendly, food came quite fast and server helpful with menu recommendations.Special Features:
- I usually like this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/21/2012I usually like this place a lot. Seems they've had a change of menu. The worst was the service though. The waiter had way too many tables to service and therefore didn't have time for our small party of 4. We had to get someone else to get our drinks twice. They were out of several things, including the brown sauce that makes such a difference. I will go back but I hope they have straightened out the service situation