1601 W Montrose Ave
Chicago, IL 60613Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mixtecogrill.com/
- Phone: 7738681601x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Raul Arreola
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Mixteco Grill
If you are looking for a unique eating experience, Mixteco Grill is the place for authentic Mexican cuisine. Mole sauce is the essence of this restaurant. The menu is simple – a variety of appetizers, entrees and desserts that are made fresh daily. Chef Raul Arreola, formally a sous chef at Frontera Grill of Chicago, puts his special touch to every dish he prepares.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mixteco Grill - Best Restaurants in Lakeview / East Lakeview ›
Mixteco Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (54)good for groups (39)special occasion (15)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (9)hot spot (8)romantic (7)great for lunch (4)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- don't botherCandyVIPDined on 9/10/2014worst experience ever. food was bad. restaurant smelled. no margaritas.
- ByobEater15Dined on 9/5/2014I love that it was byob! You don't find too many places like that in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- akways goodkd8rVIPDined on 9/5/2014Some of the best mole I've had here or in Mexico: dark, rich and multi-layered. The calamari salad is one of my favorites and had the fish tacos this time with just the right amount of spice.Special Features:
- I can't stop coming backsouschefVIPDined on 8/31/2014Always great, everything is well worth trying and the coffee... Let me tell you it's a winner, their own special brew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findJanetBVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food was delicious, especially the mole. Service was attentive and the only flaw, was that the food came out too fast. We were done with appetizers and entrees in an hour. The food was flavorful and for some, a little too bland but I didn't miss the heat because the flavor was there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dgmillsVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great BYOB option. Excellent gourmet Mexican Food. Good variety and preparation. BYOB enhances the price point. Great Liquor store across the street.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and ServiceTubemanVIPDined on 7/31/2014This is my first written review but I'm compelled to share this experience. I thought this place would work great for a birthday party. We had a group of 15 and decided to go with the prefix deal which allowed each guest to pick a appetizer and entre' followed by desert. The restaurant is BYOB which also helped greatly on the cost. I brought in wine and had a friend mixed up some margaritas. Every guest raved about the food which was much better than couple options most other venues provide for large groups. For our desert, the chef made a beautiful birthday cake for our group to share which way exceeding my expectations decorated beautifully for the birthday. The staff sang when they brought the cake in and it was very delicious as well.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014Mixteco Grill was just what we were hoping for and more.... we were looking for a festive, quaint, BYOB place and we found a gem!!! The food was outstanding!!! I ordered rack of lamb with mole sauce and it exquisite. Hands down, everyone's favorite dish. I can't wait to go back and order cerviche which was sold out by popular demand. The desserts we sampled were out of this world! I highly recommend going to Mixteco Grill for a wonderful night out on the town. We all loved it and we will be back.Special Features:
- Quality mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Everything on the menu was great and staff was very accommodating.Special Features:
- Amazing flavorsPickieEaterDined on 7/10/2014I am not a food aficionado - could even be considered a "pickie eater" - so my first peek at the menu was somewhat stressful - I was brave however and have to say was greatly rewarded - the presentation is wonderful and the dishes unique, flavorful and terrific - everyone in our party was raving and we each had different entrees.Special Features:
- Fine Mexican FoodGrantlingDined on 7/5/2014Mixteco is a treat. The meats and sauces blend beautifully, the deserts are excellent and the service is good. I prefer to sit in the back room as it is more intimate.This is a great introduction to a different kind of Mexican food (I would say better).Special Features:
- Not Your Everyday Mexican FareArneVeeDined on 7/1/2014Special neighborhood joint. Brightly lit, noisy(fun noisy), colorful and the food is great! Best Queso Fundido EVER. Borrego Con Mole' to die for. BYOB keeps the cost down, not cheap, but great value. Great versions of more familiar Tex-Mex and Mexican American standards too. Just go there already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal - Wallet friendlyEatOutNowVIPDined on 6/29/2014We love a BYOB, especially when we are with people who will triple the bill with the bar tab. Everyone very satisfied with their appetizers and main course. It was a very warm evening - did not feel A/C so that could be an issue this summer, we were seated under ceiling fan, so we were okay, but the open kitchen concept + no A/C = warm, dress appropriately. Always find street parking and the staff is very accommodating and pleasant. Add Mixteco Grill to your restaurant rotation, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchCicconeDined on 6/22/2014Went in for a mid day brunch..Restaurant wasn't crowded at all. However, the food was fantastic as always and our server was wonderful.Special Features:
- windowDined on 6/21/2014This is the second time we've had a table by the window so I consider that a good view while savoring those edgy flavors, unexpected sweetness on the tamales and tangy bite on my shrimp and a different tang on my husband's salmon special of the night. With the distinctive sauces on the appetizer and main course, I made a mistake of having a delightful but heavy dessert which I won't do again. The service by Mexican men is subdued but attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedJD1120Dined on 6/21/2014We brought a great bottle of wine to accompany the delicious food they served us. The service was amazing. Granted, we went early on a Saturday evening and the place was not yet filled to capacity, but even if it was, I think the service would be the same. We keep going back because the food is so good and it is BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Mexican FoodmysharonaDined on 6/20/2014We dined at Mixteco Grill on Friday night. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner with appetizers and dessert/coffee. Our server was very attentive. He allowed me to try a sauce from a dinner item that I was not sure about. Turns out I ordered the item because the sauce was excellent. I am a vegetarian. The menu offers several non-meat items. My friend ordered a chicken dinner and said the veggies and chicken were so fresh and flavorful. We plan on coming back for more fabulous food from Mixteco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual, delicious fareArlecchinoDined on 6/20/2014We've been here before and we're not disappointed. Our party had. The shrimp entree and the pork chop entree. Both were delectable and skillfully prepared.Special Features:
- disappointmentConaDined on 6/18/2014I really enjoyed this restaurant when it opened years ago. Things have changed. The service was poor. An the food was worse. Overcooked fish, gloppy luke warm mole sauce on the chicken dish. Even the black beans seemed as if they had seen better days, days ago. What a disappointment.
- Best Birthday Dinner in Years!!!DMarieDined on 6/17/2014I choose Mixteco on the strength of the owner and head chef working under Rick Bayless for 20 years and it did not disappoint!!! My server David was awesome and the food was so freaking delicious! True authentic Mexican food made with fresh ingredients. My lamb with mole sauce made my knees buckle! But most important so affordable!Special Features:
- YummersdluzDined on 6/15/2014At Mixteco grill i had two of the appetizers which were delicious, my mom had some lentil patties that were also delicious and my dad had lamb which he said was pretty good, and he is super picky. what i liked best were my appetisers which were sopes and tamales that were so delicious. The place was pretty empty on a sunday afternoon and after tasting our food my mom wondered why there werent anymore people at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Our favorite local spotSCJoDined on 6/14/2014Fabulous food and bend-over-backward service (they let my kids watch part of the World Cup game on the business iPad). We started with the guacamole and fish tacos that were terrific-- crispy fish with fresh cabbage slaw and homemade tortillas. We then moved on to the Cochinita Pibil and the Entomatates (veggie enchiladas). The mix of spices and flavors is always perfect and my two boys, 11 and 13, always love what they order. If you like Mexican food with flair, try his place!Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2014Food is always so good and so fresh! The menu is paired down which is a good thing. Every item on it is special!Special Features:
- Always DeliciousDrakeshireDined on 6/8/2014There are so many wonderful foods to try. It's an adventure to go and never a disappointment. It's hard for me to order anything other than my favorite chicken breast dish, but the rack of lamb is a tough one to miss! It's a wonderful find in the neighborhood and the fact that it's BYOB makes it even more appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLJAnnDined on 6/7/2014I live a block from Mixteco and always take my out of town family and friends here. So when celebrating my boyfriend's birthday it seemed the perfect place. Not only were we jammed into the second room with 5 large parties that made it impossible to converse, but then I received the wrong entree. They did put in another order but in the meantime my boyfriend had to eat his dinner while I watched him (unable to share because I was allergic to an ingredient) and then he had to watch me. I don't know if it was just a human error, server had too many parties, or what. I felt his apology was sincere but also that there should of been more done, i.e. manager involvement, at the price point of the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Excellent food. Friendly service. We've been several times and loved it as much this time as in the past. Only caution is that it can be noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nelli085Dined on 6/5/2014I made this reservation based on a friend's recommendation. The restaurant was great as far as ambience. The wait staff was friendly and great at timing. If you are looking for more upscale Mexican, this is a great spot. I was hoping for more standard fair, but the queso fundido and chicken enchiladas were really yummy.Special Features:
- MMJCDined on 6/4/2014Mixteco was recommended to me by a number of people. Love how it is byob with no corkage fee. My meal was alright, but the portion was very small. I love fish tacos so I ordered the tilapia tacos. I received two miniscule tacos, that were good, but if they were a bit larger I'm sure I would have enjoyed them more. For $7, I would have expected each of them to be able to be eaten in more than two bites. I didn't want to order a full entree since those are rather large at most Mexican restaurants, but the small plates were definitely not filling and overpriced. I think that they could improve by having medium sized dishes at a price point between the small pates and entrees or else by making their small plate food portions slightly larger.Special Features:
- Great foodprettythang42Dined on 5/30/2014Arrives late due to crazy traffic from southwest suburbs. Had to make it to a play at Black Ensemble Theater with start time of 8pm. Told out waiter. Food came out promptly and was delicious. Wish I had known it was BYOB because I was looking forward to having a margarita but will know for next time.Special Features:
- CONSISTENTLY GREAT!MARTINEZDined on 5/25/2014Sincere and friendly staff,food consistently great and generous. Easily, our favorite restaurant and BYOB. Oaxacan with delicious moles. Great brunch menu. Quite a big difference from any other Mexican restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 154 reviews are from the Mixteco Grill reviews archive.
- We love Mixteco!JudithofGoldDined on 5/25/2014We have been to Mixteco for dinners and brunch. We love it! The flavors are rich and authentic and the menu has something for everyone. This time we had 5 people. We brought wine and beer (yes it is BYOB), and our waiter immediately brought an ice bucket and offered to put beer in their fridge (also brought iced beer mugs). We ordered queso fundido and a combo appetizer plate to share. They were so delicious, not a crumb left. We actually ordered a second queso, it was so good. Did I mention that the tortillas are freshly made in house? Our entrees were ribeyes, pork chops and a veggie platter for my veggie friend. Fabulous service... can't wait to come back. Thanks Mixteco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChicagofoodieDined on 5/11/2014Food is terrific but the service was dreadful. I had to repeatedly get up to try to find a waiter and then we never saw him again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent Mexicanfoodie16VIPDined on 5/10/2014We were part of a party of 10 foodies and all of us enjoyed everything we had from beginning to end. Wonderful, subtle flavors that made us all part of the clean plate club that night. The waiter made recommendations and modifications for spice levels on some of the hotter dishes which was extremely helpful and very accurate. Space is tight and when crowded it is loud but put this restaurant on your list for a fun, casual night out in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchspoiledDined on 5/10/2014We had been here many times for dinner, this was the first time for Saturday Brunch. The food and service was great as usual! Very unique from other brunches.Special Features:
- Good food done rightDamianDined on 5/4/2014It's been a year since I last went to Mixteco and some of its trendy popularity seems to have faded as we had no problems getting a reservation and the restaurant wasn't completely packed. Neither of these things are a detriment and Mixteco still serves up good well-prepared food in a timely manner. It can get loud between the many patrons and the open air kitchen where servers hustle back and forth from, but a quiet setting isn't why we go there. We had a couple of appetizers (the tamale was fantastic) and four entrees, which all came out fast and were very good. Conchinita Pibil was very tender, and tortillas were very fresh. We brought a couple bottles of pre-mixed Margaritas to enjoy with our meal. Very pleased overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceDrDougDined on 4/24/2014I have been to Mixteco each of the last few times I was in Chicago. Neighborhood place with very well prepared Mexican dishes (not tex-mex). The Oaxacan black mole is a signature dish but the dorado and the shrimp dishes were quite good as well with well balanced and complex flavors. Service has always been cheerfully good. Rack of lamb in mole is only $21, byob and the store across the street has good wine selection. What's not to like?Special Features:
- Outstanding!FoodFanDined on 4/19/2014Don't be fooled by the unassuming appearance of Mixteco. The food was superb, especially the creative combination of ingredients and the fabulous sauces. Beautiful presentation, too, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealLovesGoodFoodVIPDined on 4/17/2014Love the empanadas and my steak was perfectly cooked as medium. Never had to wait for water, or to have plates removed for next course. I did order plantains with my meal which were never delivered.Special Features:
- Family Recipes - MexicanSteveDined on 4/12/2014This is a good BYO neighborhood place. Nice service and really good Mexican dishes that are not the typical Mexican-American style.Special Features:
- Head North for great Mexican MealEatOutNowVIPDined on 4/8/2014Heard from neighbors that it was worth the drive north to try Mixteco Grill. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and the service was spot on. Come with your own beer/wine or stop in store across the street before you check in for your table. Must try - the guacamole & chips. Good luck trying to finish your meal after the guacamole arrives at your table, it is full of diced vegetables and delicious with the perfect chips for scooping. The Queso Fundido and Calamares al Ajillo disappeared as well with rave reviews. Tried 4 entrees which meant leftovers for lunch. Convenient street parking at $2/hr is a bonus for those of us tired of the $25 valet fees. Give Mixteco a try for dinner (brunch Sun) you'll wonder why you waited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.