Mixteca Taqueria y Cantina
10 Jenkins Court
Durham, NH 03824Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
Mixteca Taqueria y Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 5555555555
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mixteca Taqueria y Cantina
Sister restaurant to Zapoteca Restaurante and Tequileria is coming soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mixteca Taqueria y Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OlePhilVIPDined on 8/18/2014Food was excellent as was the service. We were able to select from the dinner menu, although it was clearly lunch. Would dine there again.Special Features:
- Overpriced so-so Mexican-inspiredCathyVIPDined on 6/25/2014We had dined at Mixteca's sister restaurant (Zapoteca) and had excellent food and service in a pleasant atmosphere. Granted Mixteca is in a college town but we were hoping for more than a sports bar atmosphere with dirty floors, indifferent service and mediocre food. $10 for a small (less than a cup) of guacamole? Entrees close to $20 with nothing special about the preparation or presentation. None of the imaginative and genuine Mexican food you get at Zapoteca. I don't mind paying much more for a meal but the quality has to be there. Unless you are going in to drink beer and eat nachos, give Mixteca a pass and drive to one of the many restaurants for grownups in Portsmouth.
- Good MexicanBBR2VIPDined on 6/21/2014There was a light crowd when we arrived, the service was very good. The dinner was well prepared but had cooled off by the time it hit the table.Special Features:
- ExcellentPhilVIPDined on 6/5/2014One of the better Mexican restaurants we have been to.Excellent Margaritas and many eclectic dishes.We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 19 reviews are from the Mixteca Taqueria y Cantina reviews archive.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2014This was my second visit to Mixteca and it was just as good as the first. My friend and I arrived early for our reservation, and were accommodated immediately and we discovered that it was also the beginning of happy hour. The staff was all very helpful and knowledgable, especially Caitlin the bartender. We had a handful of assorted appetizers and margaritas and all were fantastic. I live an hour and a half away, but I look forward to going back again soon!
- fun adult birthday celebration spotRetiredcoachDined on 4/27/2014A party of six close friends who get together six times a year to celebrate their birthdays tried Mixteca on a Sunday evening. Having been there before I requested the back room so we could have great conversation easily. We met at 5:30 and for two hours we were the only group in the back room so the conversation flowed, the service was outstanding and the food was very good. The only slight negatives were two - the chef didn't follow the menu and substituted rice where two of the meals specified garlic chipotle mashed potatoes and that the server was not really prepared to suggest meals that were not spicy. At a Mexican restaurant we expected some heat, but two were very concerned with having too much heat. Fun night anyway!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good option when visiting UNHOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/11/2014We were at UNH to see our son receive an award and then we walked over to dinner with our son. We arrived on Friday just after 5 and the place was already quite lively. It was happy hour, we later realized when we got our bill and our drinks were 1/2 off. We were seated at a high-top at the back of the bar area but my son told us there is also a dining room which we did not see. The server was very friendly and the food was quite good, especially for the Durham area. The prices are not low enough for it to be a college hangout, except perhaps for special occasions. My son had been there recently for a friend's birthday dinner and recommended we go. We will be back.Special Features:
- excellent mexican foodkiatDined on 3/14/2014We had heard that the food was very good and we were not disappointed. The guacamole with bacon was tasty but too chunky. Since it was served with chips, it should have been easier to spread or dip. At 10.00, it was also quite expensive for a dip and chips. Everyone liked their entrees, which included a shrimp/crab enchillata, an adobe pork enchillata and two carne asiado dinners. We had two desserts, the leche cake and the chocolate mousse, and they were excellent. As it was school break, it was a very slow night. Our only grumble was that the lovely waitress was too attentive! We would all return, even though we have other Mexican restaurants closer to us in Portsmouth/Kittery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Mexican restaurant in a collegeNancyDined on 3/1/2014The variety of tequilas is impressive. You can even have scorpions in your drink, if you wish. The guacamole was good, but not well mashed. It was like eating chunks of avocado with some spices. The calamari was lightly breaded with a tasty dipping sauce. We all had enchiladas that were good and not served in an overly large portion. The food was good, predictable Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican food at UNH!beachgardengirlDined on 1/4/2014We went for an early dinner before a hockey game. Made a reservation but no need as there were only 2 other tables occupied and the restaurant is bigger than it looks from the outside. We were in the back room which is quieter than the front room (which is more of a bar). Food was good but not outstanding. Portions not especially large. We requested "No beans" with our dinners and expected that extra rice would be substituted, but it was not, resulting in rather small dinners for the money. It would be an inexpensive way to give the customer a better value, and maybe increase repeat business. Will probably go back to try the margaritas and some other dishes. It's nice to have an option other than pizza in downtown Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ups and downsRichVIPDined on 12/28/2013Guacamole was not authentic and did not seem "made to order". Carne asada tacos were cold and the corn tortillas did not seem fresh. The pork enchiladas were excellent and the red sauce particularly yummy. So it was hit and miss for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with a friend...Boxav8rDined on 10/28/2013Well done. Food was perfect. Service excellent. This has become a new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In Spite of a few hiccups...Boxav8rDined on 10/11/2013Finally a GOOD Mexican restaurant in Durham. The staff appears mostly college kids - more training on attentiveness would be helpful. Food was outstanding. Large portions. Imaginative. Excellent variety. The drinks were a little pricey, but otherwise the menu was a fair price. We used an OpenTable check from redeemed points. They had NO idea how to accept the check. After taking every piece of data off my license and having me sign the check where the restaurant is supposed to sign they finally accepted it as partial payment. The following morning I received an email from O/T telling me the restaurant had canceled my reservation. That being said, we really enjoyed the restaurant, the food, the experience in general and will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, convenientFirsttimethereDined on 10/10/2013I organized a dinner for a group from UNH after a visiting speaker. The restaurant was very flexible, accommodating a last-minute change from 9 to 12 people, and holding our table when we arrived slightly late. The service was friendly and fast, and the food was good. The location is conveniently close for anyone at UNH, a 5 minute walk from the MUB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MargaritaNancyDined on 9/16/2013Went Friday night 9/13 and then the following Monday 9/16. Margarita's were the worst I've ever had. So sour and no taste of tequila what so ever. Told the waitress and she put something sweet into the drink to offset the sourness..did not help. Did not have a margarita on the following Monday but two of my friends did..same result. A Mexican restaurant with bad Margarita's..not a good thing.
- Will repeat oftenGaryTVIPDined on 8/30/2013It's great to have such a great spot in Durham. A very comfortable and enjoyable place to eat, and the choices/food is fresh and cooked to order. Fabulous!!!Special Features:
- Best Mexican FoodGaryTVIPDined on 8/3/2013We decided to give Mexteca Taqueria a try and were treated to perhaps the best Mexican fare we have ever experienced! The ingredients were fresh and choices made to order. The service was excellent and we will be back. One of the best spots in Durham.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2013We would go out of our way to visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Great local find!SusieDined on 7/23/2013A friend recommended we check out this restaurant and we were very impressed! Especially Tuesday Taco Night where the tacos are $2 each. Great selection of tequila too - excellent margarita with generous amount of tequila. :-)Special Features:
- The food, which is customFoodLoverDined on 4/13/2013The food, which is custom made to order, is delicious. However, it takes a long time for anything to arrive. we went early on a Saturday night and ran into several families we knew. For one group, it had taken two hours to get to dessert. We were headed to an event after, so we just ordered entrees, and it took about 45 minutesforthem to arrive. The fish tacos were mouthwatering and the mole was sweet.We will definitely be back, but only when we know we have plenty of time.Special Features:
- Welcome to Durham Mixteca Taqueria!Athena77Dined on 4/6/2013It is so nice to have a new Portsmouth level dining option in Durham.Special Features:
- Clearly not quite ready toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2013Clearly not quite ready to handle the new restaurant. Service was very slow. Wait staff were friendly but overwhelmed. Appetizers and main course arrived together after more than 30 minutes. How long should it take for chips, salsa and guacamole. Never did get the guacamole! Food was good once it arrived. It was very noisy. I'll give them more time to get it together before trying it again.
- Gem. Just needs polishing.BadgersquirrelDined on 3/26/2013Same great Mexican-inspired food as its big-sister restaurant in Portland. While I had high expectations for a similar experience as those had at Zapoteca, I was a little disappointed by the general ambiance and feeling of Mixteca. That said, I went on its second full night of business, so I am sure the owners/managers are still in the process of making the new space their own. Will definitely be back to have the delicious drowned pork sandwich.Special Features: