Mix Bar and Grille
9812 Falls Road
Potomac, MD 20854Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mix Bar and Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mixbarandgrille.com/
- Phone: 3012993000x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch/Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Thursday & Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
OPEN ALL DAY, EVERY DAY!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Pedro Matamoros
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: With flat screens wherever you look, there"s always something to keep guests entertained. It's quickly become a tradition that any game or event becomes a neighborhood party at Mix!
A word from Mix Bar and Grille
MIX Bar and Grille opened in September 2013 to huge crowds and rave reviews. Mix has quickly become the Potomac spot, a bar and American bistro offering unique drinks, unbelievable food, and an urban atmosphere in the heart of The Village.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Mix Bar and Grille - Best Restaurants in Potomac ›
Mix Bar and Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (11)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (3)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Mediocre and OverpricedclosetfoodieDined on 10/12/2014Bar food with gourmet prices and tapas portion sizes. We started off with the duck egg rolls. They were served two to a plate and weren't much larger than a piece of asparagus. With the presentation and portion size we got a little excited, but when we bit down it was just okay. I ordered a crab cake at $25, one of their specialties. It was the smallest crab cake I've had outside of an AYCE buffet, and it was fried. You could barely taste the crab or the "essence of old bay" over the grease. Dessert was more of the same. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. For the price my mouth should be watering, or my belly should be full. We got neiter. After a three course meal, we were left hungry and disappointed.
- Fabulous FindguachappyVIPDined on 10/12/2014We were a table of 8 for Sunday Brunch and had never been in before; the food was superb, fresh, excellently prepared and presented, and tasty... for each and every one of us. Service was friendly, attentive and timely without being obsequious. Cocktails were spot on. Bloodys and Mimosas were both perfect and generous. We sampled the corned beef hash, pancakes, shrimp and grits, chicken and waffles, and smoked salmon hash, as well as the chocolate bread pudding and the warm caramel drizzled apple pie. We were delighted with the overall excellent experience and highly recommend it to all... we will definitely make it a favorite neighborhood go-to as we live near-by but highly suggest you make the trip if you don't...Special Features:
- Pretty Good foodAdeleDined on 9/27/2014We felt rushed by the extremely efficient service, even though a few tables were available, so did not experience relaxed dining. The appetizer dish was removed immediately as I placed the final morsel in my mouth. The well-prepared branzino entree came within 5 minutes later, wine a little late. However, the only dish that was disappointing was the dessert special, a small slice of chocolate pie with no flavor and hard texture.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Poor and inattentive service. Food was average. Dirty plates sat on table after appetizers.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 9/5/2014Air conditioning was out on a 90+ day w/ 100% humidity. Staff wouldn't admit there was a problem and hostess looked at us like we were nuts when we complained and asked if the air conditioning was out (the waiter made a face but wouldn't confirm that the air conditioning was broken, just said "yes, it is a bit warm"). It was almost as if they had been coached to not confirm the issue. After moving to a second table that was allegedly "cooler," we left since there was no improvement in the temperature. Place was 75% vacant as a result, which is not the norm for a Friday night. Hostess should have informed us as we checked in that there was a problem instead of wasting 15 minutes in the restaurant playing musical tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Time had by allnever2lateDined on 8/30/2014The menu is varied, the presentation and quality of ingredients matched the excellent preparation. Wine list confusion. When we asked for the wine list, the server brought us another dinner menu. It wasnt until we returned home that we saw an extensive wine list on line. Wondering why the list isnt automatically given upon arrival. Other than this confusion, the meal was great, servers attentive, and the Saturday night bartender makes a great lemon drop martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHoyahbhDined on 8/11/2014After reading the reviews decided timme to try. We took a friend and thought"not where i would want to bring a guest but wait fot the foid" My mussels were definitely cold. The sauce was good. Friend ordered lamb chops. Two 2 bite size chops appeared. Not an entree portion. My husband ordered the 3 course special. When he asked about dessert the waiter looked confused. Service fair. Overall would not go back or recommend to others. Too bad as would have loved a better neighborhood restaurant
- surprisingly goodcwgmdDined on 7/27/2014Sophisticated and tasty menu in a strip mall bar and grillSpecial Features:
- Mixed review...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2014Our food selection was good but generally too salted. The service was a bit slow and disorganized. We had a bottle of average quality white wine with prices starting at $59 and thought that was too much for what we got! As seniors we generally like restaurants that are much less noisy.
- The following 20 reviews are from the Mix Bar and Grille reviews archive.
- Cool restaurant, out of placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2014Very cool restaurant but decorated inside an out like it belongs in DuPont circle or not a small shopping center in Potomac, my 30 year old wife and I were easily 10 years younger than anyone else there for a 730 dinner. Food was excellent though and some good cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Braised beef short rib!kevinatfmsDined on 6/26/2014Best braised beef short rib I've ever had. Flatbread and Harissa was amazing also. Drinks were on point and always filled when needed. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood hangoutRANPotomacDined on 5/23/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food at this "new" restaurant in one of the village plazas. Both the Salmon and the short ribs were tasty. The restaurant is quite noisy because of the energetic bar scene. we were seated up front which is nice and airy but the chairs were bar type stools made of hard wood with no cushioning or support, very uncomfortable. I asked for another chair like those at the tables by the wall.Special Features:
- Potomac gets a Good eating PlaceBeacherDined on 5/17/2014Mix B&G is the first really good eating spot since Fritz left the same place so many years ago. The short ribs are spicy and tender the flatbreads are tasty and great to share. Deserts are a little too adventurous. A good home made apple pie with ice cream would add a sure winner to the list.Special Features:
- Mothers Day BrunchFoodloverDined on 5/11/2014I have been to Mix several times for lunch and dinner. We tried Mix this year for Mother's day Brunch, It was a little disappointing. The service was not overly attentive and the food was just okay. the menu looked great with interesting entrees. I ordered crab cake Benedict. The server brought it out and here were no poached eggs. When I asked about it, the server didn't even look surprised. There was no garnish on the plates. Just disappointing compared to the lunches and dinners that I have had there.Special Features:
- Miss BezubraejDined on 5/7/2014This replacement for Bezu is extremely loud, with diners surrounded by televisions and bombarded with canned music, topped by dreadful acoustics so that conversation is impossible. The scallops were fine (nothing special), but I should know better than to order Italian in a non-Italian restaurant. The lamb pappardelle was bland.
- Love it!ReneDined on 4/23/2014Love it. Love the look. Love the food. The prices are reasonable. It is now always me suggestion when someone says, where should we go?Special Features:
- Good food, but staff is oddAed24Dined on 4/20/2014Had brunch, party of 5 & restaurant was not busy at all. Our food was good, not everything came out correctly though (no fried egg on the brunch burger). Staff was weird. Waitress was so quiet & did not know the menu well. Bartender came to take our drink order, but waitress had already got it 5 mins earlier. Busboy came to get food when plates were not finished. Food runner was confused. Strange experience overall. Not worth a repeat.Special Features:
- hit or missOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/16/2014Had dinner there last night, liked the decor and was surprised by the size of the bar. To start we shared a burrata appetizer that tasted sour. The busboy didn't appear to notice that it was barely touched when he cleared our plates, and the waitress did not ask us how the appetizer was, and we didn't offer the negative feedback. For dinner I had the special featurins sea scallops and pasta with squid ink and english peas - presentation was lovely and the scallops and pasta were great! The peas were too hard to eat, felt uncooked. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his braised beef short rib with potato puree, again, beautiful presentation. For dessert we shared the opera cake. It had no flavor and was left unfinished. Won't be going backSpecial Features:
- Potomac Village BistroJohnHVIPDined on 4/1/2014Improved over the prior restaurant in the same space. Spacious bar and televisions are difficult to escape if you are seated at one of the dining tables. Lukewarm recommendation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Split DecisionTimtruman1VIPDined on 3/28/2014First trip to the old Bezu since it became Mix. The food is still stellar and the service was fine. Unfortunately, this was the loudest restaurant I have ever visited. So much noise from the bar that we could barely hear the waitress and conversation across the small table was nearly impossible! Waitress admitted that she has suffered hearing problems since starting there. Our ears continued to ring for several minutes after leaving. So we remain torn...we love the food, but can't decide if the noise is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than Bezu WasJohnGaltDined on 3/19/2014New menu befits a trendy bistro with a good assortment of both hot and cold appetizers/small plates and a variety of dinner selections. The wine list (by the bottle) is extensive and wine is also available by the glass from the house selections. Prices for both the food and liquor were reasonable. The service staff were young and energetic and there were no complaints about the presentation or timing of the various components to our meal. The bar is very long and stylish, but avoid the Parisian-like tables and chairs in the very front of the restaurant. They may well be the most uncomfortable seating in all of Montgomery County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Mix Bar and GrillecservDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went here for Valentine's Day dinner and we thoroughly enjoyed the food. The place was kind of hard to spot because the front entrance did not stand out. We were greeted politely and seated right away, but the seating was tight and we felt like we were on top of our fellow diners. The food was excellent, I had the short ribs and my wife had the crabcakes, we normally share with each other but neither of us wanted to give up our meals, so we greedily finished our own meals. The sides were tasty, especially the brussle sprouts and we were very happy with the desserts. I will definately go back and highly recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DaySteveVIPDined on 2/14/2014Tables were really close together for Valentine's Day...no way to have a "quiet" dinner with your spouse. Food was very good as always but waiters really had a difficult time getting orders right. Also had to return french fries...way too cold. Still, I'll mark this down as an aberration and come back again on a more quiet night most likely during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good upgradeBRBRVIPDined on 2/14/2014Nice redo of local potomac village restaurant. Very helpful staff. A bit noisy and busy with four tv screens. Gunnar is a terrific bar tenderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly poor on this nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Valentines dinner - waited forever to have meal served. Figured there was a problem when they brought dessert first. They had served my dinner to wrong table next to us, who had ordered after us and finished the meal before they brought out their meal and served it to us. We noticed it wasn't right. I waited another 20 minutes to 1/2 hour after this for my entree. At least it was good. Then again waited a long time for dessert and coffee to be brought. The fact that all we got was a casual "oh sorry" from the hostess made us feel quite like they couldn't care less if we return. Most restaurants would have at least comp'd a dessert or drink and been attentive after the error. Not good if you want a good rec and a return customer.
- Don't botherMARTYDNYCDined on 2/14/2014Mix Bar and Grille's website sets an expectation that isn't matched when visiting the restaurant. The overall experience was uneven right from the start when a simple request to move from the cold front to a more comfortable part of the restaurant was met with resistance. I wasn't interested in hearing all of the reasons why such a simple accommodation couldn't be met...it could have been quickly resolved, but here we were faced with a hostess who, for whatever reason, felt that she was not going to give in. Oddly, the restaurant was empty at this point. Things then moved from bad to worse...confusion over who our server was, delayed orders, and mediocre food. I can't provide any compelling reasons to visit here. I won't be returning.
- Loved it!ReneDined on 2/10/2014So excited to have another great option in Potomac for lunch! Very cute modern look and although I was there for lunch it had a great vibe for cocktails or dinner. I ended up just ordering sides and appetizers because they had all of my favorites and they were all delicious (very generous portions so took a lot home). I had the tuna tartar, pommes frites, brussel sprouts, and the polenta with jalapenos. All of these were so good, I would go back just to have any one of them again. But the stand out was the polenta with jalapenos just for it's uniqueness, a new spin on comfort food. I have been to every rendition of this property over the past 18 years and this is by far my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potomac dudjoannedinalotVIPDined on 2/9/2014The new version of Bezu is awful. After ordering a flatbread and salad we received a thick crust, frozen tasting pizza, The salad, which was delivered ten minutes after everyone else's meal with no apology or explanation had about 10 spinach leaves and one ounce of chicken. For fifteen dollars I was hungry and dissatisfied. No one asked how our dinner had been, the waitress was indifferent bordering on rude and the evening was a culinary disaster. DO NOT BOTHER TRY THIS PLACE.
- Great neighborhood hangoutLuigiDined on 2/8/2014Cool finishes with very friendly staff. Nice choice of different types of food, a bit pricy. Loud and fun .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.