Mitama Japanese Restaurant
3201 College Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Mitama Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mitamasushi.com/
- Phone: 5106526157
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:30pm
Lunch: Sa-Su 12:00pm-4:00pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: M-Th 5:30pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Hiroshi Tanabe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mitama Japanese Restaurant
Mitama is a Japanese-style restaurant with sushi bar and sake lounge. Mitiama offers an extensive menu of appetizers, robata grills, Tempura, Teriyaki and sushi and specialty rolls. The restaurant serves beer, wine, soft drinks and over 30 different varieties of premium sake from Japan. Mitama is one of the few restaurant in the Bay Area to serve wild caught fresh fish directly from Japan. Every detail is placed on our sushi from the freshness of fish we serve to the quality of rice we use. We offer daily lunch specials as well as weeknight dinner special and happy hour. Sake lounge is open nightly with 100 inch mega screen TV showing your favorite sports. The restaurant is open every day lunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mitama Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (2)Show More
- Food disappointing. Nothing great.BerkfoodDined on 10/20/2014Service friendly but dishes came out randomly for party of 5 and server didn't recall who ordered what. One main dish came out much later than all others.
- exemplary Japanese restaurantThyme2eatDined on 10/10/2014Mitama is a smallish neighborhood Japanese restaurant on College Avenue in Berkeley. The food is expertly prepared and very good. Like many restaurants in Japan, the food is served as it is ready. Each member of a group on a busy night may not get their food at the same time. The other problem is it's popularity. Service can be slow with the crowds Mitama attracts on weekend nights. Mitama is perfect for a weekday night and is a wonderful lunch spot. They have added delicious ramen to the menu.Special Features:
- Great noodle & sushi locale!MrsShankarDined on 9/19/2014Mitama offers reasonably-priced and tasty Japanese fare. They even have fish straight from the Tsukiji market in Tokyo. We had the udon (pretty tasty) and the tempura donburi, as well as a few pieces of fresh nigiri sushi. Highly recommend the sushi (and it's tough to go wrong with a fried-anything donburi).Special Features:
- Solid fish optionbenhDined on 9/16/2014Went here with a party of 6 for my wife's birthday, at 9pm. Our waiter was very friendly and had lots of suggestions for things he personally liked, and went into details about what fish would be ending its season soon, "try it while you can". Most in our group got sushi and absolutely loved it. The albacore and salmon were particularly good. One of our group got ramen there and was happy with it. The menu is pretty extensive, there are a lot of non-fish options. The place was fairly casual but we're already talking about going back, so we're pretty happy about it. Plus, Trappist Provisions is right across the street if you'd like to have some quality brews before or after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious salad and rollsAlyssaDined on 7/14/2014The salad here is wonderful in comparison to other Japanese restaurants that just use iceberg lettuce. The dressing is really yummy I just want to dip everything in it. The rolls are phenomenal. The staff is incredibly sweet. Would have been a five star except we arrived early for our 8:45pm reservation and they were ready to close up and kick us out by 9pm.Special Features:
- The following 26 reviews are from the Mitama Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Tasty, solid foodHungryDinerVIPDined on 6/8/2014I was ravenous after an entire day at Six Flags and luckily this place was still open. We ordered so many dishes the tiny table couldn't hold them all (but I ate quickly so it wasn't a problem). We did feel a bit rushed to finish as they were winding down which is always a little annoying but we still had a long drive ahead so that was negligible. Cocktails were nice and new.Special Features:
- Great Food!specialdateDined on 5/18/2014The food was very fresh and flavorful. The restaurant created a nice assortment of sushi for our pre-graduation lunch and the fish was fresh and of high quality. The tempura was also great. The service was superb. Overall, a very nice experience. I would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly cooked riceGoodAjiDined on 1/24/2014We appreciate Mitama's attention to authentic Japanese flavors (aji), and other details like the crispiness of the tempura and doneness of the rice. In our party of 6 that always leaves leftovers, we left only empty bowls and plates. More pricy than Temari, but bigger menu and faster service. Whimsical and traditional kanji art, and lighting create a pleasant ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeling Japanese tonight?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/20/2014This nice medium-sized location is great for small or large groups. It's got a nice selection of Sake if you feel like drinking, as well as a fresh selection of fish for those feeling like a tasting session! Definitely worth the money! They also have a good list of noodle+rice combos that will definitely fill you up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious! Outstanding! WentkatydidDined on 1/2/2014Delicious! Outstanding! Went out of their way to accommodate our food allergies. Excellent staff and chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overworked & UndercutCarnivoreVIPDined on 12/9/2013I went to Mitama on a Monday night and found the servers to be quite overworked. Either they were understaffed, someone didn't show up, or they didn't expect anyone to be dining there that night. Whatever it was, I felt bad for the server who was clearly stretched to his limits. The food was 'OK', but I wouldn't say it blew me away. The portions were quite small compared to what I am used to at my more regular Sushi stops (i.e. Shimizu on Piedmont, which is AWESOME!!). I chose Mitama this time mostly due to location, but I think I will take the extra 10 minutes to drive to my favorite spots next time.
- Very light and digestible foodJohnnyDined on 12/1/2013I liked this restaurant for its simple, light, and easy-to-digest food. There is a variety of Japanese beer... I wouldn't say it's a place for romantic meals. The place is a bit squeezy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Japanese foodMerryDrinkerVIPDined on 11/23/2013This place was fine for lunch - bright, friendly spot with regulars so it must be ok. It's BERKELEY - college ave. it ain't Katsuya in Brentwood... So yes, the decor and ambience is nothing fancy. We took our kids there (both under 11) and they were able to find items on the menu. Food was good - better than some other not so fancy japanese places we've eaten at...but we didnt really eat a lot of sushi; what we had was fine (Katsu, udon, bento). Japanese places always run expensive. This place was ok value. Overall, I liked it, wasn't wowed by it, but would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, wonderful food,Sushilover762Dined on 10/18/2013As always, wonderful food, wonderful staff. My wife and I routinely drive half an hour each way to eat at Mitama, and it's worth every second in the car.Special Features:
- Wonderful sushi. WonderfulSushilover762Dined on 10/5/2013Wonderful sushi. Wonderful cooked entrees. I drove the 25 miles from home to Mitama on the recommendation of a client, and have been back at least once each month since then. Most nights you don't need a reservation, but weekends it's a great bet. I've always been able to get a same-day reservation and most nights I didn't need it after 6PM. Based on the quality of the food, and the Japanese staff's attentive service, my wife and I are surprised this place doesn't have a line out the door every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't believe the OT ReviewsunsatsDined on 9/30/2013The reviews on Yelp are much more accurate. This place is just an ordinary dingy sushi restaurant that seats 73. Modest prices, less than eager service.
- Good sushi on College Ave!Sushilover762Dined on 8/18/2013Went here based on a recommendation of a friend. Loved the food. The service was amazing. The space was tiny with exactly as many tables (and chairs at the sushi bar) that can be squeezed into a space that size and still have enough space to walk in or out of the restaurant between tables. Great sushi. Wonderful tempura. Prices moderate, but the quality of the fish makes it "worth the $$". At meal times, I'd definitely recommend a reservation, but Opentable.com makes online reservations easy as 1, 2, 3. We arrived and there was a "reserved" sign on our table. I almost felt like a VIP. :) Will DEFINITELY eat there again. CAREFUL!!! The road back to Hwy 24 is NOT the one you take off the freeway. Plan ahead!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and homeyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2013What a wonderful, cozy restaurant! My niece and I went here after reading a Yelp review about the unique and very fresh sushi - we were not disappointed! Food was artfully prepared and melted in our mouths. We were especially fond of the Sawara (fresh eel), Miruguy (clam), and totally enjoyed the Dragon, Dynamite and Spider rolls. The atmosphere was casual, but service was very attentive without being intrusive (they never let our water glasses get empty!) And our server's descriptions of the different fish reminded me of a sommelier discussing wine! Great experience, will go back for sure! Thank you!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- SakeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/10/2013Nice sake collection. Not much in stock apparently as they ran out of several we ordered but the waiter was well trained and did a fine job recommending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great restaurant - deliciousjakiVIPDined on 7/16/2013A great restaurant - delicious food; wonderful service; a diverse and delicious sake options; friendly owners and staff; ; and comfortable ambience.Special Features:
- No reservation on recordOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/3/2013When I arrived, the restaurant said they did not have a reservation under my name. When I said I booked it through Open Table, they said they don't use Open Table.
- AuthenticStewDined on 6/16/2013J-food expertise shows thru and thru in flavor and presentation. Would be tops with a bit more support/service staff to take care of guests' needs and make for a great dining experience. Still, well worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food - uneven servicegaryfDined on 5/9/2013I liked the food - we chose the sushi and salads and some starters - all very good - but the service was erratic - we sat for 10 minutes after being seated and then had to wave someone down to get water - we had to wave someone down again before we could order the food - and then I had wave people down three more times to get more water, more tea and finally the check -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mix of skewers, sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2013Great mix of skewers, sushi and hot entrees; something to please anyone. They offer a basket of many different sake glasses and allow you to choose your own; a very small thing that was very unique and enjoyable for our group.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/25/2013Good food but slow service because it seems understaffed. I highly recommend the robota grill food.
- Sushi Good, Service PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/5/2013I continue to go back to Mitama because the sushi is really good. If it were based on service, I would never go back. The service is very hit-or-miss, meaning, they can be very slow regardless of how busy the restaurant is. Our servers were attentive on this last visit. However, it took over 30 minutes to receive our sushi order. I think that this is an unacceptable wait time, and the server should have compensated by either providing us with complimentary edamame or some other nominal way. The restaurant was almost full when we arrived, and by the time we left, there were only 2-3 tables of diners. My friend was very frustrated with this wait time.Special Features:
- Yummy obentoJoKoDined on 2/28/2013My friend and I went to have lunch. The waitress was a real sweetie. We didn't know about parking and she advised us to park in one of the nearby streets. The food was yummy. We both had fish. The obento was very filling and so good. We'll definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Great place! Been here a few times.RogerDined on 1/26/2013I've been here a few times, but this was the busiest they had been at any time I'd been there. As a result, our waiter was a little taxed and our food was a little slow. No big deal, since we were with friends that we hadn't seen in a while. The waiter was very good, in good spirits, and gave awesome suggestions on how to make our sushi experience more authentic (I had no idea that nigiri is traditionally eaten with fingers!). All-in-all, great place; because it's small, when there's a crowd it feels a little packed, so I think I prefer to go on a "school night" than on the weekend.Special Features:
- Everything we ate was veryDebbieDined on 1/26/2013Everything we ate was very good. We had a group of 7 and everyone got their food at the same time!Special Features:
- everything was very fresh,jojomVIPDined on 1/6/2013everything was very fresh, and service was good. great japanese meal option in the area. will be back.Special Features:
- Great little restaurant. IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/30/2012Great little restaurant. I had a spicy tuna roll and an asparagus roll, the second being recommended to me by the chef. The bar seating is a bit tight, but dinner was overall a very pleasant experience. I will definitely go back.Special Features: