66 Witherspoon St.
Princeton, NJ 08542Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mistralprinceton.com/
- Phone: (609) 688-8808
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Scott Anderson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome
A word from Mistral
Mistral: The name evokes a sure Mediterranean wind bringing clear water and fresh weather to those sailing upon the sea. Now, Restaurant Mistral offers chef Scott Anderson the chance to create ever-changing, seasonal offerings that can be adjusted to the prevailing winds of his unsurpassed creativity and taste. Scott Anderson has evolved from the “chef to watch” to the “chef everyone is watching.” Following the critically acclaimed success of elements, co-owners Anderson and Steve Distler bring Princeton another showcase celebration of contemporary cuisine with Mistral. With its fast pace, small plates and focus on fresh, vibrant, local fare, Mistral offers a stunning mix of taste, style and atmosphere. The variety and inventiveness of the menu will truly bring a breath of fresh air to Princeton’s dining community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mistral - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Mistral reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (168)neighborhood gem (94)great for outdoor dining (93)special occasion (65)hot spot (47)great for lunch (39)romantic (36)good for groups (35)great for brunch (10)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/19/2014Restaurant offered small plates but can easily be shared by 2 people which would be my recommendation so you can try several of their selections. The food is beautifully presented I would have rated the food experience 4 stars except for the fact that most of the dishes came out "luke warm". They pace appropriately the delivery of the dishes but I don't think the kitchen is as timely. They probably put up the next plate based on their timing vs. waiting for the server to come in and signal that the guest is ready for the next plate. I would prefer to have a 10 minute gap between each selection vs. getting a plate that was prepared 10-15 earlier and is sitting in the kitchen until the server picks it up. We were there on a Wed night and the dining room was filled. Atmosphere is country chic, wood tables/chairs, open kitchen, paper napkins, paper placemats (that double as menus), floor to ceiling windows that look out to a gas fireplace that I assume is their patio dining when the weather is appropriate. Server was friendly, took the time to explain the menu, attentive up until the food started coming out and then stopped by only when it was time to deliver the next dish. We brought our own wine, they opened the bottle, but didn't offer to pour even the initial glass (or any refill). We selected 6 plates for 2 people and added 2 desserts. (The brown butter cake is amazing)! Cost without beverages was $180 w/tax & tip. For $90pp, cloth napkins (at minimum), better timing from the kitchen, and more attentive service throughout the night should be warranted, I consider myself (as well as my guest) a "foodie" . I believe we have developed over the years a sophisticated palate 1) having been in the business for 20+ years, 2) having dined at many of the best restaurants around the country , etc. The potential is there for a Michelin Star, just make the appropriate adjustments and Mistrals should consistently receive a 5 stars rating from their guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wineanddineVIPDined on 11/16/2014This was a very nice dining experience sitting next to the fireplace on a rather chilly evening. Two of the courses that I had were first time choices, and I could easily recommend the Hen in the Woods chicken and the charred flank steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and differentFirstClassVIPDined on 11/16/2014We were looking for someplace a little different. Mistral with its small plates and fun menu fit the bill for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice space but inconsistent on various dishesTHPJHDined on 11/15/2014After reading some positive reviews we were looking forward to trying Mistral. The service was good, the food was very hit or miss. Falafel was dry and overspiced, the grill cheese could not be eaten, and although we were cautioned that this was tapas style the portions were more meager than we anticipated, overall a bit disappointing and pricey for the quality of the dishes.
- small, well-prepared plates in spare modern decorPeterthebanditDined on 11/14/2014small, well-prepared plates, served in a spare modernist decor, from an efficient, disciplined open kitchen. I had roasted sunchokes, duck ramen, and a chocolate cream: all three intelligent variations on traditional preparations. Service was good, a bit too attentive for my taste. certainly recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates aren't that smallOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014This place was very good. Nice selection for every type of diet. Excellent food, prepared in ways you wouldn't usually expect and presented beautifully. They say that 2 or 3 plates per person is appropriate, but depending on the plates you choose, that's a lot of food! They serve it in a "whatever's done first comes to your table' style instead of strict "courses" which is great, but there was a serious lag in between our first two plates and our last 3. The grilled cheese topped with maple syrup and hay ice cream was one of the best things I've eaten. Friendly and knowledgeable wait staff and an open kitchen so you can see them make your food. Try this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was Everything I Expected!MustGoDined on 11/11/2014After reading about Mistral in Fall 2014 Issue of edible Jersey, I knew I had to go there. I had lunch there - and it was everything I imagined it would be and more. Every dish that was ordered was a delight. A definite "Must Go" for every foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/8/2014The Open Table reservation was made a month prior to dining but I was informed by text 3 hours prior to the dining that we would be seated outside(covered patio with a fireplace) even though the temps were in the 40s. Ultimately, they did offer us indoor dining, but many patrons were outside and had been given blankets to place over themselves while dining. The food was very interesting and well-prepared. The service was scatter-brained. Items were brought to our table which we had not ordered and an appetizer plate intended for us didn't arrive until after the entrees had been served. Four different servers asked us whether we wanted flat or sparkling water. The sharing plates were never cleared or replaced when the next course arrived.Special Features:
- MistralLuluDined on 11/8/2014We were told upon arrival that since I booked the same day that we have to sit outside in 30 degree weather. There was a small fire but all the portable heaters were not functioning ! It was FREEZING! It should've said on open table when I made the reservations that this would be outdoor seating as I would've made another choice of restaurant . We only ordered apps as we were too cold and not enjoying having to dine outdoors in November!!Special Features:
- DelightfulJMcKnyDined on 11/7/2014A wonderful experience of light but tasty foods surrounded by contemporary ambience. The only negative is the view out the windows at a street level view of a public parking lot.Special Features:
- Good but not greatDemoDined on 11/6/2014The service was super friendly, thee setting pretty, and the shrimp toast excellent. Very decent wine, but the servings were very small for the price, and rather bland. Grouper overcooked, but tandoori chicken very good, but at $28 not better than our local takeout. Maybe disappointed because I had heard such wonderful scuttlebutt..Special Features:
- Sunday's DinnerwineanddineVIPDined on 11/2/2014This was the first time that I tried the roasted sunchokes, as well the bratwurst schnitzel (this is a very recent addition), and both were outstanding dishes. The chicken liver mousse which I have frequently was altered with the changing season to include maple and was just as pleasing to me. Service was still very good despite the restaurant filling up within an hour of my arrival. All told, it was an excellent, leisurely dining experience that I so often enjoy at Mistral.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeyDined on 11/1/2014So many excellent choices on the menu, difficult to decide. Some of the best food I have had all year. If you like to be involved , sit at the counter and watch the kitchen show. I am making my next reservation to return today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!PajroberDined on 10/29/2014I was visiting Princeton and just happened on this gem of a place. I had the hen of the woods mushrooms, pumpkin bisque with chutney and raisens (would love the recipe) and a chorizo, hominy stew. All three plates were foodie delights. Would love to see more wines but the 2012 Cab was fine. Great place. Book a table as it gets busy.Special Features:
- Princeton GemRonGDined on 10/27/2014Small plates with hard to describe cuisine, but everything was delicious. Third visit and not disappointed yet. Princeton needs more reasonably priced place like this.Special Features:
- Great choiceswineanddineVIPDined on 10/26/2014This was a very enjoyable meal. The lamb tartare (which I've had several times before) and the duck ramen (the first time tasting this) were absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentExcellantDined on 10/25/2014This is a restaurant that has it all great food and service.If your looking for large portions this is not the place for you but if you want a variety of tapas meals that means you get a choice of many different things to choice from.the service is great as my wife is gluten free and the server went to talk to the chef came back and marked everything on the menu that she could eat.It was packed on Sat. Night so make reservations and enjoy.Special Features:
- such a great first experienceahockDined on 10/24/2014It most definitely was an experience. My friend and I sat at the chef's counter which was a entertaining experience. Our server was Noah and he was very kind and knowledgeable. Derek the manager was fantastic...he even got MW to try tartar which I normally would never do but so glad I did since it was beyond tasty. The menu opened my mind, and palette, to new and extremely tasty food. I would totally go back and I've already been spreading the word.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interestingfoodie4lyfeDined on 10/22/2014Interesting food choices for the adventurous but would have liked to see a few more menu items. Slightly over priced in my opinion. The tapas sized plates are at entre prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/22/2014After reading article after article about the amazing food- I found the dishes (shrimp toast and sunchoke salad) very heavy and oily. Interesting menu, poor execution. Beautiful space but the food just wasn't good.
- Our WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Our Waiter, Noah, was fantastic! We followed all his suggestions and we were so impressed with the presentation and the taste. The whole staff was very attentive and worked incredibly well as a team. A great little in town place !Special Features:
- BabsVIPDined on 10/20/2014I had been wanting to try this place ever since it opened and happily met some friends for lunch there recently. Lots of interesting menu options and look forward to returning to try others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealScooterDined on 10/12/2014The flavors and food combinations are always wonderful at Mistral; service is friendly and servers are knowledgeable. Very nice atmosphere, fun but calm.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingtampatravelnutVIPDined on 10/12/2014Table was in direct sunlight - uncomfortably hot and a lot of glare. Food was very long in coming; server kept saying, "the food is coming now," for 15-20 minutes. The food would probably have tasted better if we weren't already so frustrated with the service. Restaurant was less than 1/3 full - I expected much more from this place.
- OutsntandingKevin62Dined on 10/10/2014One of the most exciting new finds I've had anywhere. If you love tapas or just great food with a new twist, this place is for you. We had six plates and each one was exceptional. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great tapas placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014Mistral has great tasting tapas. We ordered a wide variety of them and they were all excellent. The only complaint I have is the size of the tapas. They are truly meant to serve just one perhaps two (not so hungry) people. So if you are in a group these can really add up. The service was good and there is an overall feeling of a good college restaurant without much stuffy formality. The noise level was fine (we went on a Sunday).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014Very long wait just to order. Understaffed. Very good appetizers and entrees. Orange flavor crepe had overly strong citrus flavor. Expensive. Cozy décor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014This is a fun place to go to share 8 or 9 tapas with a group of 4 people. They offer a number of very creative dishes. Be sure to bring your own wine to enhance the experience since they do not have a liquor license.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas with a TwistJohnCambridgeDined on 10/3/2014The atmosphere both inside and out was quite inviting. We got there 20 minutes before our reservation and they happily sat us without complaint. **They are a BYO that also has a liquor licence- how great is that?! I hope it stays like that. The service was very quick and cheerful. Food comes out when ready so there's not really any defined courses (not a bad thing). I highly recommend the lamb tartar. My only regret is that I ordered the steamed buns for desert. They were good for what they were but I wanted sweet and they were savory. All in all it was wonderful. Another restaurant to add to Princeton's already health list of NJ top eats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding8hereDined on 10/1/2014The finest restaurant in Princeton. You need to be a little adventurous but if you are you will surely enjoy. Servers are very attentive and really complete the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional foodSharonRDined on 10/1/2014Absolutely incredible food ! Small plates that are meant to be shared. They are innovative, beautifully presented and use exceptional produce. The flavor combinations and textures are phenomenal. The hardest part was choosing what not to have ! It was an hour's drive for us to get there from Northern NJ, but absolutely worth the road trip. We will definitely be doing it again. Service is friendly, knowledgeable and professional. And sitting at the kitchen bar was a treat - you get to watch and interact with the Chefs, and see how your dish is prepared. Highly recommend Mistral !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 9/29/2014Great food and equally great service. Terrific place to have lunch and with the small plates a good way to sample various delicious. Each in its own unique way.Special Features:
- A Fine DinerwineanddineVIPDined on 9/28/2014This was a very nice dinner for a warm autumn evening. I've had the chicken liver mousse several times before, as well as the lamb tartar; however, the poached egg as a middle course was a delicious first time course for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkable!JImmyCVIPDined on 9/27/2014It was our first time at Mistral and we could not be any happier with the experience. Every dish we ordered was full of flavor. My wife's favorites were the tuna crudo and short rib. My favorites were the blue crab salad and the halibut. Both of us loved the oysters and the grilled cheese special. We ended the night with the Sweetcorn Clafoutis and the Chocolate Pot de Crème. Service was excellent led by Jaime and Mike. Can't wait to make a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely little gem in Princetonup4adventureDined on 9/23/2014Mistral has created lovely indoor and outdoor dining spaces that are cleverly designed and relaxing. The chef is willing to work with any guest who has food challenges or is a vegetarian/vegan. My meal as a vegan was just as delightful as the dishes served to everyone else at the table -- colorful, flavorful, and with an interesting mix of ingredients. The dishes were prepared on the spot with fresh ingredients. We shared several appetizers and not a single crumb remained! While Mistral might be a bit more expensive for lunch than several other places in town, it is well worth a few extra dollars to get a meal that's fresh, beautifully presented, and a joy to experience.Special Features:
- So disappointedDisappointedDined on 9/21/2014I understand that this restaurant is small plates...but these were very very small plates. My husband and I dropped $100 and still left hungry. The $22 short rib was a joke - two itty bitty pieces of rib - ridiculous. The best part of the meal was the wine we brought with us.
- Mixed feedback from our GroupLawrencevilleMomDined on 9/21/2014Half of our group thought it was the best meal they'd had in Princeton and the other half were disappointed, although that was the half that got the undercooked chicken and had to send a raw burger back after it had been ordered medium for a 7 year old. Lovely ambiance and decor, although it was overkill to have the trendy fireplace on in 70 degree heat just because it looks awesome - had to ask 3 times to have it turned down before they actually did so. The food that was cooked properly was delicious. Service was spotty and we went through long periods with no waiter in sight. Not somewhere I'd take children to - mostly because of the raw food, not the children's behavior.Special Features:
- WXYZDined on 9/20/2014Though we had a reservation, we had to wait quite a while. Others, arriving without reservations, were seated before we were. A "small plates" restaurant serves the plates intermittently, so if you order something as a first course, it might arrive at the very end of the meal when it is no longer wanted. Very good food, & service valiant, but seemed overbooked, hostess too young & inexperienced wearing short shorts on Saturday night!Special Features:
- Delicious!MattyDined on 9/20/2014We have been here twice and both visits were delicious! I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Good Food But Don't Go Hungry2Good2Little2ExpensiveDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant has original, fresh and quality food no doubt. But for the extra small portions, the prices are just too inflated. They charge the same amount as would a standard, fine-dining establishment. And they bring each dish out one at a time whenever its ready. Which is fine, but by the time they bring the last one out, you're hungry again. After our $120 bill for two we had to go out to eat again afterward! LOL! If you don't mind paying that kind of money for appetizers, this place is for you; enjoy and don't forget to bring your Ben Franklins!Special Features: